As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile]Bestiary League begins on March 2nd

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    All right poison guy is to mapping and I have some thoughts. First off it was super fun to create my own build even if I did end up researching various things I was confused about . Kitava can go fuck himself but dodedre can go to hell , I hate BOTH her fights . So obnoxious. There is surprisingly little heath nodes coming from shadow to ranger to duelist before I go up to get the health wheel. Which is fine cause I needed some of the ailment damage and bow nodes in that area anyway. Just surprised at how low my health is . Assassin was a good choice , have pretty much permanent uptime on both my poison and my power frenzy charges. My chest will never six link and I will be stuck with tabula forever . Other then that it’s been fun!

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I 6 linked my very first item ever yesterday. I only ever go for 5 and was maybe 50 fusings deep when the achievement blasted out of my speakers

I'd post it but I'm at work. Hybrid ev/ar chest with 1100/1400, 95 life 31 fire res and an open suffix. So it's solid for an Iron Reflexes build needing green/red sockets, which is exactly what I'm playing.

Tempest bow Lightning Arrow/Mirage Archer with Shrapnel Shot for single target, stacking flat lightning damage abyss jewels and on as much gear as I can. Iron Reflexes and eventually MoM after uber lab. Scion Deadeye (for pierce and + arrow) Slayer (for overleech and boss damage) using Soul of Arakaali/Arachnoxia to increase leech rate when CWDT/Immortal Call causes Blood Rage to stop causing damage. After I go MoM I'll run a Mind of the Council for instant mana gain, put Wrath into an Essence Worm, and add 1100 mana to my eHP pool. + Arrow quivers are really easy to get with elder/shaper mods. I picked up one with 90 life, 27 light res, and 36 ele damage for 30c.

The issue I have with MoM builds is regaining lost mana. You take a big hit, are OOM and can't leech back/use a movement skill, then get hit again and die. Running a hybrid flask just feels bad. Mind of the Council will keep mana topped up as long as you can shock; I'll have 25% chance to shock even on an auto attack, with 61% on Lightning Arrow. Slayer overleech plus a bucket of regen (500ish per second) takes care of life recovery.

Armour is quite strong in Abyss. Abyss rares seem to exclusively do physical damage. Threshers, for example, do 3 smaller hits during their pirouette which is exactly what armour excels at mitigating. I can facetank these things as long as I can l move away from the explodey things.

I got 2 Bellies of the Beast yesterday, sold em" spent too much chaos Torment crafting some gripped gloves, bought a couple jewel upgrades, and upgraded to 20q gems where it was cheapish (buy a 16-17q for a chaos or 3 then GCP up).

Made some support gem tweaks since all these upgrades give me more than enough damage to clear maps on a 4L. Swapped in LMP so LA covers more screen. 80k buffed DPS with Mirage Archer shooting along with me. Shrapnel Shot is up to 146k boss dps on a 5L and hits twice, it's doing serious work.

I ripped the first version of this character to a T10 lich I shouldn't have run. This version should be even better.

I think it's ultimately stronger to switch to a Lioneye's and sub out some abyss jewels for %increased regular jewels. That's probably a different project; I think a non-MoM cold conversion Ice Shot variant would be really good. I'm trying to avoid using threshold jewels since abyss jewels are so strong.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLzf-nLdaLc

if you think a friend might have a vaal orb problem, please contact somebody

• Options
    Ok so My poison guy has not had much trouble in maps so far ( just hit tier 10) but holy shit that museum boss. He of many pieces or something , holy hell he hits hard.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLzf-nLdaLc

if you think a friend might have a vaal orb problem, please contact somebody

Those are some particularly good highlights

The Ziz one is perfect

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    That feeling when you corrupt a random T15 and get a Vaal Temple with easymode mods, but then 95% of the map drops garbage and you think you're out 40c for one Atlas completion, but then the last room drops an Exalted Orb, a Last Hope card and a Wretched card. Yay!

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    3.1.2 patch notes included this interesting addition:

"There's now a UI option called "Advanced Mod Descriptions" which shows additional information about items when you press Alt. It breaks down the mods of the item into separate prefixes and suffixes, shows their possible ranges and what tiers they are. Please note that the tiers shown include all possible base types. For example, if Tier 5 of a mod is the highest that can appear on a ring, then it'll be listed as Tier 5 rather than Tier 1 on that ring. We are looking to improve this aspect in the future."

This will really help with assessing rares!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    This is a hell of a bug, lol
    Fixed a bug where Ichimonji's "Allies' Aura Buffs do not affect you" caused Zana's protection field in The Elder encounter to not affect you.

Edit: oh, good
    Fixed a bug where flask duration bars would not freeze if the instance was frozen by The Shaper.

Edit the second: GGG are some cheeky bros ayy lmao
    Fixed a bug where some Oni-Goroshi dialogue would repeat itself.
    Fixed a bug where some Oni-Goroshi dialogue would repeat itself.

Rius on
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    3.1.2 patch notes included this interesting addition:

"There's now a UI option called "Advanced Mod Descriptions" which shows additional information about items when you press Alt. It breaks down the mods of the item into separate prefixes and suffixes, shows their possible ranges and what tiers they are. Please note that the tiers shown include all possible base types. For example, if Tier 5 of a mod is the highest that can appear on a ring, then it'll be listed as Tier 5 rather than Tier 1 on that ring. We are looking to improve this aspect in the future."

This will really help with assessing rares!

I'm really looking forward to this

On a related note I'm not sure why they named affix tiers such that the highest ones are tier 1. It makes adding additional high end tiers a lot harder as you have to rename everything lower. The lowest should be tier 1. This would solve the issue of lower maximum tiers on some slots being harder to identify.

They already do this with Maps.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Naming mods by tiers came out of the player base and GGG has just adopted our convention. It makes it easier to compare items, as you know what someone means when they say they rolled 3x T1 as opposed to saying they rolled T13, T14, and T11 because those are maxes for those rolls.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Naming mods by tiers came out of the player base and GGG has just adopted our convention. It makes it easier to compare items, as you know what someone means when they say they rolled 3x T1 as opposed to saying they rolled T13, T14, and T11 because those are maxes for those rolls.

It doesn't make it easier to compare items though as evidenced by the fact that rings can get max Tier 5, which leads people to think better rings can spawn. It adds a level of confusion that is completely solved by having the base tier be 1, and every tier be incremental afterwards. Comparing items across slots becomes easier while offering scalability. So any further tiers require no reworking of the convention (or you start going into confusing places like Tier 0 or Tier -1)

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The tier 0 stuff with essences was super confusing and I think now they're like tier 1.5

The best solution is to just tell us what tier each affix is so you don't need a wiki or a script.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    hey, check out this dumb bullshit
    did you ever want 19k ES?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3YDabWVWVE

now u can

patchy:
    Fixed a bug where the "Gain x% of Maximum Mana as Extra Maximum Energy Shield while affected by Clarity" Watcher's Eye mod was granting more Energy Shield than intended.

hmmm, went from 21,5k ES to 16k.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    hey, check out this dumb bullshit
    did you ever want 19k ES?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3YDabWVWVE

now u can

patchy:
    Fixed a bug where the "Gain x% of Maximum Mana as Extra Maximum Energy Shield while affected by Clarity" Watcher's Eye mod was granting more Energy Shield than intended.

hmmm, went from 21,5k ES to 16k.

Oh no, now you're only vastly overpowered.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    191%/38%/13% Belly of the Beast from an Abyssal Trove in Apex of Sacrifice, lol.

Edit: Six socketed it in one Jeweller's Orb, which means it'd take me ~4,000 fusings to 6L if I tried

Rius on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    191%/38%/13% Belly of the Beast from an Abyssal Trove in Apex of Sacrifice, lol.

Edit: Six socketed it in one Jeweller's Orb, which means it'd take me ~4,000 fusings to 6L if I tried

In my Xbox game I accidentally six linked this in like 10 fuses.
    a63awwldmb8r.jpg

This seems to have made it impossible to even 5 link either my Queen of the Forest or Tempest in like 500 fusings. The Tempest really hurts as I'm pretty sure I'll find a Windripper the minute I drop a thousand fuses into the Tempest. Of course this is Xbox trading where a Windripper is like 8 exalts.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    I finally got an Uber Atziri set and gave her a try on my GC miner. Killing her was easier than I thought it would be, I have enough damage to instantly kill the split phases and trio and the vaals also died very quickly. I did die once on atziri because I'm dumb and charged into a flameblast.

She dropped a disfavour which is extremely lucky, now I just gotta decide if I want to use it or sell it.

I've been playing a frostblade raider also which I have been having a lot of fun with. I was a little disappointed to discover that even a 30ex weapon would only increase my damage by 13% over a touch of anguish. Dropping touch of anguish would necessitate adding ancestral call which is at best 16% less damage over my current links, though it would allow me to freeze thing reliably again.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Got a case of the late season no one buys my stuffs.

Got some nice items this last week when I was out sick but no one wants the junk heh. Got a claw last night that would be several EX, I think anyway, early on in the league but I think ill just make the spectral thrower rather than trying to sell the claw heh.

• Options
    Six or so weeks in, the league's definitely starting to run out of steam. Exalts dropped from 90c to 72c in the last week, ten days or so.

I thought I'd push for 36 challenges this league, but then I hit the Ice Portal out of an Ice and Fire box and it's very cool, pun totally intended. So the Abyss Portal doesn't matter as much to me anymore. Plus I've seen it in action and it's kind of underwhelming. I hit 24 challenges and got the wings, which go great with my Seeker armor set, so I'm happy.

I could probably spend the rest of my currency going to 36/40, but honestly I've played enough this league. I'll probably buy 120 Gemcutter's Prisms to 20/20 my six link, then spend some currency buying a Chayula breachstone since that's content I haven't done at all yet.

This Blade Flurry build has been really great, but more than anything it's just made me want to use Perfect Form in other, more entertaining builds.

I've learned my lesson, though; next league, I'm going to start with an Uber Lab farmer and then make a currency farmer. I'd like to try some metacrafting but you need serious currency stock for that.

• Options
    I swapped my Oni MSer to Blade Flurry last night for funsies. It was fun using it again and I do think I like it more than Sunder now with Storm Barrier being a thing.

• Options
    I still want to do a Blight Occultist, but I leveled one up and Essence Drain keeps getting in my way. I want to do a 6L Contagion and a 5L Blight in Allelopathy but it feels like so much of the balance in Spell Chaos is wrapped up in Essence Drain.

Next league's "fun project" might be a Death's Oath Templar or something, I dunno. I'm really looking forward to the supposed Ascendancy reworks. I might dig up that capped Dodge build that uses the one-handed Ice Fang-type weapon.

• Options
    I put together a build that should do 500k Shaper dps on a 5L with reasonably cheap gear. Maybe 100c total. And should have HC-viable defense

Abyss jewels are dumb. I'll report back on how it turns out in a few days when it's mapping.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Think I’m going to make a gladiator love my poison guy he is just so fragile and getting 1or two shots by something that spawns with powerful crit is getting old.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    So I spent most of the evening spending currency. I got this ring for ~3 ex right as it was listed, which strikes me as a heck of a deal. It also got me a passive back which I'd spent on a +30 Int node.

8vayseugqaui.jpg

And this belt for 65c, which really felt like a coup because the seller didn't search by uncrafted when he priced it;

gajz7vfbd2wg.jpg

I also bought 120 Gemcutter's and 20/20'd my six link, which wound up being a little dumb because Chance to Bleed's quality bonus is more Bleed damage which is like 0.01% of my DPS but whatever.

Then I bought some more maps and got my Atlas up to 147/157. And I worked up a Shaper set and he dropped his dumb 1 chaos boots. And at this point I'm almost broke. But hey, I got my Shaper DPS up to a theoretical 1.05m! In short bursts. More realistically, 750k. Or 700k. Still felt good.

So I vaal'd my Perfect Form! And it hit 18% chance to avoid being Shocked. Which felt boring.

So I bought another Perfect Form and forgot to 20q it, but it six socketed in ~15 jeweller's. I applied 20q and spent my stash of ~80 fusings in my hideout, to no avail. I bought 200 fusings with my last Exalted Orb, but before I could use them, I had a thought.

Let's try the Kuduku thing!

et7wkx73qk7z.jpg

:rotate: bwahahahaha IT'S REAL :rotate:

Rius on
  • Options
    I vaal'd it

nothing happened

sooooo boorrrrrrrrinnnnnnggggggggggggg ugh

• Options
    Holy. Missed the Lycosidae drop rate nerf. Went to buy one and laughed at the price.

• Options
    Just sold that second TPF for 5ex and 6L'd another one in ~250 fusings. About to color and Vaal now.

• Options
    Rius your willingness to Vaal 6linked expensive items is indicative of a sickness

This is an intervention

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    On the other hand, Vaal everything

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    It landed 19% chance not to be ignited, lol. Still boring.

I just gave away all my currency and the third vaal'd TPF to the guy who bought the second vaal'd TPF which funded the third one. I still have all my gear for this BF build, absent the 20/20 Blade Flurry gem itself which I tried to Vaal and it went down to level 19, lol. Better that bricks than the armors, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm done with this league. Does anyone want to borrow all my gear so they can try this build? You literally need to buy a 20/20 Blade Flurry and copy my build and you'll have over 1m Shaper DPS and be able to do any content. Set of gear is worth around ~25ex, not that you could sell it for that much.

I only ask that you don't actually sell anything because if they add some Uber Elder fight at the end of the league I'd like to be able to come back and try it out. Which, in hindsight, may have made giving away like 8ex of stuff to that guy a little silly, but whatever I need to have a reason not to play PoE all weekend

Rius on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    idk if i posted this but here is a vid i made this league but forgot to do anything with

made a cleave ignite melee elementalist using dyadus just to see

killed kitava, cleared a random atoll, it was ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIo3rtQfRnI

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Wow gladiators are tanky I died once all game. Only because I wanted to see if I could take an abyss out at lvl 6 only by auto attacking. This class just tanks and tanks

Edit- Just completed a twinned boss monster life underground river while under level. One death , to a box that spawned so much shit that the xbox just about froze even then I almost pulled it out .Other then that everything was cake, I think I’m going to like mapping with this guy

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Late game builds: I finally took the plunge into RF. Went Life Zerker route as it seemed the easiest and most stable. Boss killing has been hit or miss depending on gearing etc but overall its been a fun build. Almost got no degen already which makes the build feel very tanky. Just shield charge through mobs and enduring cry or pot if needed. And just charge through stuffs.

It took me me way too long last night to find where the leak of fire damage was coming into the build though that was messing up elemental equilibrium heh. I equipped a ring and didnt see it had cold dmg on it and had a pyre equipped heh.

Edit: The knockback pull character ended up being a bust. Maxed out Knockback with Vaal Groundslam only moved mobs like a foot in. Would have to be on a spam attack to be worthwhile and so the build just ended up being a high scaling ice crash build with Debeons Which was ok but I moved on after the disappointment.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    I forgot how hard it is to gear a crit-based attack character

I want accuracy and crit and flat damage and % increased damage on everything also all the life because hardcore

I spent 100c rolling some gripped gloves

I got some ridiculous boots for 40c

My amulet will probably be 100c+. I don't even know what to do about rings. I wanted to buy a Shaper base and essence craft but cold damage essences are hard to buy

Late league HC economy woes

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    these are good, right?

like really good?

I could find anything really close on poe trade so I got no clue what to sell them for
    (too big to directly link I guess?)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279463195

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279463043

• Options
    They are pretty nice. But I have been having problems selling similar items because of Elder and Shaper items being so nice. Good luck though!

I got my RF guy into Maps last night easily enough. Another no death Kitava because of overgearing. Just sat there picking my nose because being built HC like. Felt boring to be honest heh. But leveled up some more afterwards and equipped my fire res shield and recapped res. Then I found a shaper headpiece that had chaos res, inc area gem, inc area affix and almost 10 life regen/s. That combined with some other items like a almost 10 regen/s sty belt and gem means I got to surplus with golem already. With an underleveled purity of fire and non leveled empower. Here is where it gets expensive though heh.

• Options
    Ice Shot + Chain is kind of disgusting. Got into maps using Death's Opus and a +1 Asphyxia's Wrath. On a pair of 5 links Ice Shot is starting to lack a little DPS with the Chain gem but Barrage is absolutely ruining bosses. Uber lab will be a huge boost to this character as the routing is really suboptimal. I get 8 points back from Path of the Ranger. With that I should be able to improve my crit enough to make it work. A 6th link would solve everything.

I wanted to run Scion Deadeye but the +2 pierce would mess up Chain. 1 pierce might be really nice to have as I get into maps with more density. Currently using the Raider node instead for better uptime on Onslaught and Frenzy generation on bosses. I think endgame the Assassin node might be better for power charge generation and crit. Scion Slayer node is still amazing. Ideal endgame boss setup probably uses a Frenzy and PCoC for charge upkeep possibly with Curse on Hit Frostbite. A little link starved for that right now.

For defenses I'm still squishy compared to the EO Tempest version. Need a diamond flask instead of a granite to get DPS to the highest levels. Eventually I'll drop Hatred for Arctic Armour which will help. I could work a Blasphemy/Temp Chains in as a gem swap option for clearing maps with Breaches and Abysses and slot Frenzy/PCoC in for specific fights.

Taste of Hate would be great here but I'm not sure I'll be able to afford that. Gear upgrades are in the 50c+ range at this point and better jewels are impossible to find. I'll see how far I can realistically take this. It's got a really high ceiling if I can thread the needle on defense vs. offense.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    They are pretty nice. But I have been having problems selling similar items because of Elder and Shaper items being so nice. Good luck though!

I got my RF guy into Maps last night easily enough. Another no death Kitava because of overgearing. Just sat there picking my nose because being built HC like. Felt boring to be honest heh. But leveled up some more afterwards and equipped my fire res shield and recapped res. Then I found a shaper headpiece that had chaos res, inc area gem, inc area affix and almost 10 life regen/s. That combined with some other items like a almost 10 regen/s sty belt and gem means I got to surplus with golem already. With an underleveled purity of fire and non leveled empower. Here is where it gets expensive though heh.

I just have no clue what to even list them for

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I just have no clue what to even list them for

I searched for rare Fingerless Silk Gloves with at least 80 life and 40 total res and got a bunch of results in the 5-10c range. A lot of them have mana. I specified no Elder or Shaper. This is Abyss SC. Unfortunately the added cold damage doesn't work well with the base.

Weapons right now are heavily skewed towards physical DPS. There are some elemental buzzsaw builds using Abyss jewels but they typically use high APS and crit foils, daggers, or even claws. Axes scale better for physical using new Shaper offhand sceptres; a 150 Ele DPS axe with 6.05 crit and 1.5 APS is not great. You're competing with items like Hyaon's Fury (420+ Ele DPS on a good roll for a few chaos). Without Without at least 2 of [high crit; high aps; high base damage] it's hard to sell a rare weapon right now.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png