As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I want a puzzle spaceship game that uses a cardboard cockpit with 15-20 button/knob/dials that are all unlabeled (the spaceship got damaged when it crash landed and all the labels melted off, or whatever). The player needs to use logic/trial and error to determine what all the buttons and knobs do (hmm... when I flip this switch, all the lights on the right side of the ship turn on, but only if this dial over here is turned to 3... so does that mean that the switch is aux power and the dial is related to the area of the ship that gets powered on, or is it vice-versa?), and then the player needs to use physical stickers or markers or tape or whatever to recreate the labels on the cockpit. Are all the buttons and knobs labeled correctly? I guess we'll see when I start the complicated take off procedure!

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh my god, I played with those bricks every day in kindergarten!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Hah! I just realized something that I think Nintendo is totally banking on. These cardboard constructs are not going to survive a week in the hands of a child.

Clever girl Nintendo, clever girl.

Nah, seriously there are a bunch of cardboard/paper/construction crafty things for kids that do last, for kids who have been taught to take care of their toys. I had them as a kid. I think some of them are still even assembled and in good condition.

Age 6 or under, yeah, they will be wrecked immediately. After that, heck they will probably take pride in having made it themselves and take extra care of it.

WMs3s7t.png

I still have, like, 3-4 of these remaining at my mom's house from over 30 years ago. The paint faded a bit but they survived just fine.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So how long until we get The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: Labo Edition?

(She/Her)
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Hah! I just realized something that I think Nintendo is totally banking on. These cardboard constructs are not going to survive a week in the hands of a child.

But it's cardboard... You can fix it!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    You know I never really noticed as a kid but the design on those indicates that it's a bunch of tiny bricks cemented together.

My brain always looked at it as a single brick.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

Nah, seriously there are a bunch of cardboard/paper/construction crafty things for kids that do last, for kids who have been taught to take care of their toys. I had them as a kid. I think some of them are still even assembled and in good condition.

Age 6 or under, yeah, they will be wrecked immediately. After that, heck they will probably take pride in having made it themselves and take extra care of it.

WMs3s7t.png

My three kids have those same bricks (well, in different colors). They are one of the most played with toys in our house. We have 24 of them and got them way back in late 2012 when Angry Birds was a huge thing. We'd build up castles with them, stick pig plushes on top, and throw stuffed angry birds at them to knock them down.

They are still used to this day, and for they most part, they've held up very well, even 5 years later. There are a few that have a dent or small puncture on one of the sides, but nothing that can't be fixed with some clear tape.

UhfPb2U3CX3kUBi5m1MdqUHjZntMNt_AM_xd3SD0lmnR05oUk3NFdDxPy28Es8hUU92b9R4JqzzonUpdVJUwDpL1Nb2pct4sz6uPBSczMwz7RUD387fZpU8sG0gAbjTp9TsHq532xw3ET1hktMVcx_wBht0gBA_2sK_7gHqePz6Ib3oFmk6xKLQtZt4v2kkObI2dkqe3gEpHZptMXxAx79j5Ak9Ktfpw8KcbFHJzXPF-6sU9cO-NlJgnRb-C9L1A7mr-aB9N7p-gvxOtR0VD2afv3pAgmT6cR6YDyxXW3E4wsGEc5Y4Ep1L3q_ibc2tqhCgTZsCSs5i5sKnvoaoG_mgbSO0Vn2NusQb-wm9bQllv8xTJe9bOWh2KAbW8rgGhKJzQ96Tqclrwi5laiP7BEPCAl5aoWlrs3Coaonz4kW0023rHzWqQJ4tl9YoDnN2IE7QDMCIlhen77zcpuCVK_3yu5GSAzqh2VWu2ovNPvURLFiq7I1LIXOYmD4uX3GiPBfHOY1Kw2xs3sPtdC40HgA1gHlgAB6qFY_QdmyvkvW3es04de1X1TkFbB4581WCuhjhlhr9JgSpM0-xs0DsdF_rHvDSY5ap4OiHxlWA9ky_ZviHwOa0VI_zfyIq6FL2YvDWDuwRLajKst_hSxs_-uQpPbkMe9r4fhg=w1319-h989-no

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The little nib bits on some of the Lab0 stuff might be more generally fragile, but you can always tape them or buy new ones if they get beyond the boundaries of duct tape fixing.

If the child can be safely trusted to play with the switch itself, the cardboard pieces are probably fine.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    The little nib bits on some of the Lab0 stuff might be more generally fragile, but you can always tape them or buy new ones if they get beyond the boundaries of duct tape fixing.

If the child can be safely trusted to play with the switch itself, the cardboard pieces are probably fine.

Well... I only let my son play the switch on the TV with a pro controller. I tell him to never take it out of the dock. I'll have to take the Joy-Cons off for him in anything that needs them but so far we don't own anything that needs them specifically.

I need to put my other amFilm protector on, the first one cracked and it's been sans protector for a while.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yes, game developers can now create fully custom controllers for their games for virtually no additional cost to the player

That’s a pretty fucking big deal, fam

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm thinking maybe it's a good thing if Nintendo doesn't publish PDF templates or whatever. Corrugated cardboard is a surprisingly solid building material if:
    • it's good-quality cardboard
    • it's cut precisely, without crushing the cut edges
    • there are no unplanned creases, bends, or other damage that compromise the strength of the corrugation
    • pieces are oriented correctly with the grain of the corrugation, as determined by the stresses that particular component will be under

A Toy-Con built from Nintendo's precision-cut pieces will work as intended. The same Toy-Con made with pieces cut, with scissors, from old shipping boxes, in whatever orientation makes the most efficient use of space, is likely going to suck. The pieces won't fit as precisely as they need to, and the toy won't work as well, if at all.

So if Nintendo published templates, and people built their own because it's cheaper, the next thing you'd see would be a flood of reviews saying that Toy-Cons are hard to build and don't work once assembled.

edit: "supports BBCode" is dang near meaningless without details on Vanilla's implementation

Calica on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Im all in if i can get a new true to the original, steel battalion cartridge and online play.

Hell ill take the old steel battalion even without updated graphics.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It just frickin' dawned on me if we get templates.

Somebody out there is absolutely going to get them cut. Out of metal.

A water jet cutter, a metal press, and time. That's all somebody will need.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It just frickin' dawned on me if we get templates.

Somebody out there is absolutely going to get them cut. Out of metal.

A water jet cutter, a metal press, and time. That's all somebody will need.

Hell, even just a 3D printer.

The maker community will go nuts for this.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It won't be a 1:1 conversion to other materials, though. The piano uses folded cardboard springs, for example.

edit: plus there's the thickness of the cardboard to consider

Calica on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm interested in seeing the mechanics of the piano. Mainly if it can do multiple notes and how fast it can read different ones. My gut is that it'll be a rudimentary piano, but if it turns out to be almost functionally similar to the real thing, that's astounding.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    How about a The Witness style open world puzzle game where one joycon handles the moving around, and the other is used in Labo to create a real life version of whatever the "terminal" or UI interface is in the game. The controls wouldn't need to be complicated or different for each puzzle type (hell, The Witness used a "simple" line drawing UI for some insanely difficult and varied puzzles), just something that is better suited for the theme and the game mechanics than a normal control scheme would be.

...I should go play The Witness again.

bficky on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The truth about how Labo came to be:

bhce4uljma4n.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yes, game developers can now create fully custom controllers for their games for virtually no additional cost to the player

That’s a pretty fucking big deal, fam

We've come quite a way from plastic overlays on top of the Atari 5200 controller.

Enlong on
  • Options
    emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Labo is interesting. It's a neat concept. Its success is going to depend on how much support it gets outside of Nintendo. I see a lot of cool and complex ideas in this thread (and elsewhere) but does anyone really think Nintendo will make anything of that nature? I can't imagine they will. I also can't picture third party developers (if they are allowed to do so) embracing this outside of some niche games or experiences. Sure, the piano is pretty cool but how many games based around that can/will be made? And that for me is the problem. A lot of the "devices" shown thus far have very limited applications. The robot kit seems like it would have the most possibilities but, again, how many developers are going to make games for it? And will Nintendo pursue anything other than the robot game they've shown?

If this ends up being nothing but light gun or steering wheel shells for the joy-cons, then I'll pass. I'd love to see things like people have dreamed up in this thread (The Witness and spaceship cockpit ideas for example) but sadly I don't see that happening.

emutheelf on
    Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Jam session with Kass DLC for BOTW, using the piano toycon, plz.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    emutheelf wrote: »
    Labo is interesting. It's a neat concept. Its success is going to depend on how much support it gets outside of Nintendo. I see a lot of cool and complex ideas in this thread (and elsewhere) but does anyone really think Nintendo will make anything of that nature? I can't imagine they will. I also can't picture third party developers (if they are allowed to do so) embracing this outside of some niche games or experiences. Sure, the piano is pretty cool but how many games based around that can/will be made? And that for me is the problem. A lot of the "devices" shown thus far have very limited applications. The robot kit seems like it would have the most possibilities but, again, how many developers are going to make games for it? And will Nintendo pursue anything other than the robot game they've shown?

If this ends up being nothing but light gun or steering wheel shells for the joy-cons, then I'll pass. I'd love to see things like people have dreamed up in this thread (The Witness and spaceship cockpit ideas for example) but sadly I don't see that happening.

The thing is, there's no such thing as "passing" on this, like there was with Move or Kinect or Balance Boards or whatever other peripherals. It's an inherent function of the console, with the option for any individual game to hook into it at the low, low price of "some cardboard". It's not like you're sinking large amounts of money into an electronic peripheral and hoping that more games come along that make use of it. You're paying an extra $10 or whatever to go along with a specific game that you want.

There's no buy-in for Labo. It's a console capability, not a peripheral. Even if you only ever buy one game that uses it, it was a success for you.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Jam session with Kass DLC for BOTW, using the piano toycon, plz.

I'm totally fucking in on this.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    WACriminal wrote: »
    The thing is, there's no such thing as "passing" on this, like there was with Move or Kinect or Balance Boards or whatever other peripherals. It's an inherent function of the console, with the option for any individual game to hook into it at the low, low price of "some cardboard". It's not like you're sinking large amounts of money into an electronic peripheral and hoping that more games come along that make use of it. You're paying an extra $10 or whatever to go along with a specific game that you want.

There's no buy-in for Labo. It's a console capability, not a peripheral. Even if you only ever buy one game that uses it, it was a success for you.

I didn't get the impression that Nintendo intends Labo to be a series of one-and-done devices/accessories/whatever that are tailored only for the game they come packaged with. Maybe that is their intention and I'm mistaken in which case I'm even less interested than before. If a neat device is created, I'd be kind of bummed that it will only ever be intended for use with one game/experience.

emutheelf on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's entirely possible third-parties will NOPE out of Labo and the thing will still be a massive success for Nintendo.

That's pretty much what happened with the original Wii.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea Labo screams to me something that we'll see a bunch of first party stuff, there will be one or two 3rd parties that try something with it, but it'll mostly be a nintendo thing

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I'd be down for a Mario + Rabbids sequel that has "Labo compatibility"

You could build your own blaster, and if you play Labo mode or whatever, it aims in first person.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    emutheelf wrote: »

I didn't get the impression that Nintendo intends Labo to be a series of one-and-done devices/accessories/whatever that are tailored only for the game they come packaged with. Maybe that is their intention and I'm mistaken in which case I'm even less interested than before. If a neat device is created, I'd be kind of bummed that it will only ever be intended for use with one game/experience.

Fair enough. On the other hand, to me it seems like a good thing because a device can be even neater when it doesn't have to be cross-applicable to other games.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

You could build your own blaster, and if you play Labo mode or whatever, it aims in first person.

Why would I need some cardboard for that though?

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Fair enough. On the other hand, to me it seems like a good thing because a device can be even neater when it doesn't have to be cross-applicable to other games.

I get that and things like, say, an ocarina for use with a Zelda game would be cool and not have much use outside of that game. I see how this is a neat concept and I'm probably going to get the variety pack for the piano (it is in there, right?).

emutheelf on
  • Options
    My biggest question is comfort. Cardboard isn't the most ergonomic thing to hold. It's not a concern for some of the uses since you arent always holding all of the builds but if someone made a cardboard HOTAS powered by two joycons how comfortable can it be?

Also are we going to get a cardboard SuperScope sometime?

(She/Her)
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Why would I need some cardboard for that though?

I suppose you wouldn't. I wouldn't say no to my own M+R cannon, though.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I think people extrapolating Labo to new controller for every game and infinite possibilities is a bit of an oversell.

I think best-case scenario you will see some more maker-inspired/edutainment games or apps

Which is fine, but some of the hype here feels like Wii 1.0 to me

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just saw a blurb that the instructions for making the Labo stuff will include portions where you test functions as you build them in. They've handled this project conception really well.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I just saw a blurb that the instructions for making the Labo stuff will include portions where you test functions as you build them in. They've handled this project conception really well.

Yeah this is one of the cooler parts of Labo in my opinion

This shit will be great for kids who like making stuff

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    I showed the labo video to my daughter (5 years old), and asked her how many thumbs up out of two she would rate it. "One billion million thousands" she told me.

Yea, I'll be buying a Labo alright.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

That's probably pretty important. From what I've read the piano takes something along the lines of two hours to build, so checking occasionally to see that you haven't fucked anything up is probably really important.

Not to mention that troubleshooting a finished robo-backpack or whatever is probably somewhat complicated.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I saw the trailer and went, "I'm not sure I get it." Then I showed it to my wife and son (my daughter is too young to care about trailers) and they freaked out at how awesome it is. So I guess that is a buy.

I think I've mostly come around since then.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I hate not knowing 100% if certain indie games got/will get physical release. I assume I'm in the minority but I'd always rather have the physical version when possible.

really small complaint of course and no one's fault in the world, just the way things have gone makes it hard to know. it seems some are out there though most aren't, and with folks like limitedrungames I'm not even sure you can tell what might change in the future

hell at this point it's hard to keep up with all the releases full stop. this is not a complaint at all, though :P

I may buy steamworld heist off the eshop but I "should" buy the zelda dlc first, if not even mario+rabbids, both things I'm 100% certain about how much I'll enjoy.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I kind of dig the fact that Labo seems to be almost explicitly designed as a cordoned off Nintendo ecosystem, where their most oddball stuff could go.

Hell, it practically signals to third parties: “Don’t worry, this is its own thing, you do you.”

This discussion has been closed.