As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arrow-Verse: DC on TV (and Legends of Tomorrow)

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I love how Sara is just a total bro. She's easily one of the best CW Universe characters. I like Eobard too, he was the best thing about S1 Flash even played by Wells, and he's good here too. It's such an effective but easy to pull off power visually without looking as bad as the Dominators.

Sara Lance just straight up James Bond'ing it across time with every pretty lady they come across is my favorite Legends trope.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So finished Legends 2, and am caught up on the completed seasons of the CW shows.

Legends 2 is better than Flash 3, Supergirl 2, or Arrow 5. All of those shows became a huge slow to get through, Flash mainly because they have absolutely no ideas and the hero is still the biggest villain in the CW-niverse. Arrow was just a letdown with Prometheus, Supergirl was just boring, not into the Mon-El/Kara stuff at all or his family. Similarly as Flash, the villain is just a different type of the same villain used in a previous season.
    What I liked:
    Sara
    Mick
    Reverse Flash, I don't know why I just like the speedster powerset in general for a villain.
    The long buildup and ending, it seems like a series where thought has been put into "Here is A, here is B, now this is how we get to there", unlike Flash which is "here is A."
    Liked the idea of taking several villains from different series to build a rival legion, I did want them to find a way to spare Thawne and Dharke.

What I didn't like:
    I don't like Steel. The actor seems far too smug to pull off that he's been a fragile, sheltered hemophiliac for the bulk of his life, and once he becomes invincible he becomes more insufferably smug as well as being a complete dick. The jaunt to save Washington seems him completely forget his friends are in imminent danger and so is history so he can focus on seducing Amaya. He seems a lot like a writer insert.
    Ray is the Worf of the series. He is absolutely useless in or out of the suit, yet when the Shogun has it, he is apparently undefeatable.
    That the all powerful spear is presented as a reality bender that once used, they're done for, except at the last minute they insert that you can travel back in time where reality still hasn't been altered.

The end episode overdid it with murdering the future Legends because they're going to disappear anyway. And they present Eobard as ridiculously lethal, piercing through the dwarf star armour to rip out Ray's heart, only for an army of Eobard's to take their sweet time fighting the Legends so that Sara has time to use it once. He could just rip it out of her hands. It seemed like they gave up on the writing at that stage. Then immediately after the Black Flash turns up, and the army of Eobard's do nothing.

But it's overall good, it improves massively over the first series.

• Options
    Evil Speedsters are a double-edged sword. They're terrifying and near invincible and impossibly powerful, but that also means that their eventual defeat will almost always involve a bit of hand waving about why they didn't just run real fast and ___do_thing___ to stop the heroes.

I mean, you probably CAN write a situation that would make more sense, but it doesn't seem to be something the writers often feel motivated to do, outside of some flavor of deus ex machina swooping in at the end. Not the worst sin in the world or anything, but I totally understand what you mean. Given all the other solid writing and fun shit going on, it does feel a little lazy.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I thought season 5 of Arrow was real good up until the last minute or so. Prometheus specifically.
    Blowing up the island was the worst kind of stupid, because everyone watching knew that no one of consequence was actually going to die.
    Which turned out to be 100% correct.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I thought season 5 of Arrow was real good up until the last minute or so. Prometheus specifically.
    Blowing up the island was the worst kind of stupid, because everyone watching knew that no one of consequence was actually going to die.
    Which turned out to be 100% correct.
    Plus anyone with even a fundamental knowledge of scale (ie nobody in Tv/film) would realise
    wiring an entire *island* to explode is really dumb.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    And I'm still confused by
    Slade's semi-betrayal/abandonment at the very end? It was like it was a setup to have him going back to being an evil fucker the next season, but they basically ignore it completely and have him being Mr. Cool Buddy Buddy with Ollie again. I think someone briefly mentions it, but then it's just never really touched on again.

• Options
    So I'm catching up on the latest seasons now. Started with Legends because I just enjoy it more, Flash has been consistently more bad than good, Supergirl has been consistently just kind of there and Arrow just seems to never grow.

I'm 5 eps in and its really good. It's like they've given up on any semblance of maintaining time and just kind of rolling with the inevitable changes. There's lots of decent comedy, much of the London stuff with random "Return of the Mack" backup tracks. There are a few quibbles like why Stein is worried about missing his grandchilds birth or his daughters life. He can literally be reinserted 20 seconds after he left, I don't really comprehend why they interact with their present in real time.
    And why Darhk has powers when he's restored, without his statue.

• Options
    Of FFS, Flash Series 4, Team Flash creates the problem they're facing again.

(I'm watching up to ep 7 in each series then the crossover before continuing.)

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    So I'm catching up on the latest seasons now. Started with Legends because I just enjoy it more, Flash has been consistently more bad than good, Supergirl has been consistently just kind of there and Arrow just seems to never grow.

I'm 5 eps in and its really good. It's like they've given up on any semblance of maintaining time and just kind of rolling with the inevitable changes. There's lots of decent comedy, much of the London stuff with random "Return of the Mack" backup tracks. There are a few quibbles like why Stein is worried about missing his grandchilds birth or his daughters life. He can literally be reinserted 20 seconds after he left, I don't really comprehend why they interact with their present in real time.

This time travel has clearly been retconned (or always was, I honestly can't remember if they still did it this way in Season 1) to working ALA "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." In Bill and Ted's, the titular pair acquire a time machine the day before they must present a massive history report, and use the machine to gather some of the greatest people in history. But they must return to San Dimas in the present in order to make it to the presentation on time. It's been a while since I've seen it so I'm not sure if Rufus explains why, but I assume it's because they must maintain the same age as their present in order to stop from violating some universal law. Certainly it helps avoid them running into their past or future selves.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Terrendos wrote: »

This time travel has clearly been retconned (or always was, I honestly can't remember if they still did it this way in Season 1) to working ALA "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." In Bill and Ted's, the titular pair acquire a time machine the day before they must present a massive history report, and use the machine to gather some of the greatest people in history. But they must return to San Dimas in the present in order to make it to the presentation on time. It's been a while since I've seen it so I'm not sure if Rufus explains why, but I assume it's because they must maintain the same age as their present in order to stop from violating some universal law. Certainly it helps avoid them running into their past or future selves.

Did... Did you miss the part of Bill and Ted where they talk to their past selves?

That's how the whole thing starts.

That's the strange thing that's afoot at the Circle K.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »

Did... Did you miss the part of Bill and Ted where they talk to their past selves?

That's how the whole thing starts.

That's the strange thing that's afoot at the Circle K.

I was referring to the possible justification of avoiding past selves in Legends, since that's what caused all the problems at the end of Season 2.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Holy shit.
    Beebo hungry.

Edit: It got even better.
    Yes, Jesus is the one true god, which doesn't mean science or evolution isn't real. Anyway, you need to return to Finland which, hmm..will soon be melting due to global warming. Which is also real! Hoo Hoo!

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Black Lightning tonight.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Has there been any confirmation about whether Black Lightning is in the Arrow-verse?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Has there been any confirmation about whether Black Lightning is in the Arrow-verse?

Yes. It's not.

https://www.cbr.com/foxs-black-lightning-show-wont-cross-over-with-the-arrowverse/

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Thanks! 4 shows is already a lot for a shared universe.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Yes. It's not.

https://www.cbr.com/foxs-black-lightning-show-wont-cross-over-with-the-arrowverse/

It isn't...until it is.

Supergirl wasn't in the Arrowverse until she was...all it took was some dimensional fuckery.

• Options
    Also, we're already up to like... 7(?) shows that all cross over, so far, with The Ray, Constantine, and Vixen included. What's one more at this point?

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

Yes. It's not.

It isn't...until it is.

Supergirl wasn't in the Arrowverse until she was...all it took was some dimensional fuckery.

They referenced other super-powered people generically last night in other cities so who knows. Originally it wasn't because it was Fox project but then it moved to the CW.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    I'd very much like to see grizzled veteran Arrow vs grizzled veteran Black Lightning. Everyone typically defers to Oliver but Black Lightning would certainly not.

• Options
    Also, we're already up to like... 7(?) shows that all cross over, so far, with The Ray, Constantine, and Vixen included. What's one more at this point?

I know there's a Vixen cartoon that I'm a season behind on, but now I've got to look up The Ray. And Constantine is just a retroactive add of the 1 season NBC show, right?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

I know there's a Vixen cartoon that I'm a season behind on, but now I've got to look up The Ray. And Constantine is just a retroactive add of the 1 season NBC show, right?

Yes, but also there's an animated Constantine series on CW Seed starting this year that picks up where the live action show left off.

The Ray is another CW animated series focused on the character from this season's big crossover event, also starting this year.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Legends of Tomorrow Star Hints at Constantine & Citizen Cold Romance
    When Legends of Tomorrow returns, it may see sparks fly between new additions Constantine and Citizen Cold. With this week’s record-breaking premiere of Black Lightning, The CW is now packed with DC superhero content. As such, it’s taken some creative scheduling to get everything on the air for the spring season. While The Flash, Supergirl, and Arrow are all back this week, Legends of Tomorrow‘s shorter episode count means it’s being pushed back until next month. When it does return, however, it will see some fresh faces aboard the Waverider.

After the events of the Crisis on Earth-X mini-movie, Leo ‘Citizen Cold’ Snart is spending some time on Legends of Tomorrow. We know that eventually he’ll leave as Wentworth Miller will return to The Flash before leaving Snart behind. In the meantime, the alternate take on the villain-turned-hero is proving fun for audiences and frustrating for Rory. And with Constantine about to be thrown into the mix, it looks like things are going to get even more interesting.

Nerdist spoke with Dominic Purcell (Heat Wave/Mick Rory) recently about what having both Citizen Cold and Constantine on the Waverider will mean when Legends of Tomorrow returns. And just as many fans have hoped, there will be flirting.

“Well, Trenchcoat has just arrived and I’ve only had one scene with him, and that was last week. He was hitting on Wentworth’s character. Isn’t Constantine bisexual? And it was all too much for Rory, so he just kind of walked out.”

Rory has had a hard time processing all the different takes on his best friend who have shown up on the series throughout the years—and no doubt a wholesome hero from a Nazi-occupied parallel world is the most challenging. But it looks like the side of Leo that the bisexual Constantine will bring out will frustrate Rory as much as it delights #Coldstantine fans.

“What’s Wentworth’s character now? It’s not Captain Cold… Citizen Cold! So Citizen Cold is different [from] Captain Cold. Completely different. Rory watching Citizen Cold and Trenchcoat flirt with one another was like too much for Rory, so he just f****ing got out of there. That’s what I remember doing. It’s all too much! Too much information! Which makes it really funny. The scene is hysterical. We were all just on the floor laughing, so it’s all done in good fun.”

While watching things get under Rory’s skin is always an enjoyable part of Legends of Tomorrow, the show has also done wonders for queer representation on superhero TV and this new coupling is just the latest example. Not only has the Waverider been captained by White Canary for year, but Wally West will join Legends of Tomorrow and bring another queer actor—Keiynan Lonsdale—onto the series in addition to Wentworth Miller (Cold) and Russel Tovey (The Ray).

Of course, the flirtation between Leo and Constantine won’t be all positive. Leo looked to be in a pretty serious relationship with The Ray when they were last together and it would certainly be a shame to see that threatened during Cold’s extended vacation on Earth-1. There’s no telling when and if The Ray will return to the live-action Arrowverse, but hopefully he won’t come back to find his partner in the arms of a sorcerer.

Legends of Tomorrow returns Feb 12th at 8pm EST

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Is this the first confirmation we've seen of Wally West moving to Legends? Because I think everyone assumed that might happen, but I don't remember them ever actually saying so.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The Doctor would be disappointed in Rory. Everyone knows future humanity evolves into Jack Harkness.

• Options
    The Doctor would be disappointed in Rory. Everyone knows future humanity evolves into Jack Harkness.

You mean Malcolm Merlyn?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Is this the first confirmation we've seen of Wally West moving to Legends? Because I think everyone assumed that might happen, but I don't remember them ever actually saying so.

Looks like it was just confirmed

https://screenrant.com/wally-west-legends-tomorrow-tv-show/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The Ray is already out on CW Seed, and it's plot uses an earlier draft of the crossover set-up. Like Overgirl is the Fuhrer instead of Oliver and such.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Just watched the Black Lightning pilot. The first act is painfully infodumpy, and some of the dialogue is stilted, but overall it's pretty good. It's also as black as I hoped.

I'm guessing they'll acknowledge it as part of the Arrowverse eventually, but I'm not sure how the tone would play with more lighthearted stuff like the Flash or Supergirl.

• Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Just watched the Black Lightning pilot. The first act is painfully infodumpy, and some of the dialogue is stilted, but overall it's pretty good. It's also as black as I hoped.

I'm guessing they'll acknowledge it as part of the Arrowverse eventually, but I'm not sure how the tone would play with more lighthearted stuff like the Flash or Supergirl.

I don't get why CW isn't openly saying yeah this is in the Arrow 'verse, they have nothing to lose by doing that. In fact, it may even be a boost.

• Options
    Because it was originally supposed to be on a non CW Network. It's the same kind of stuff they were saying with Supergirl initially.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Because it was originally supposed to be on a non CW Network. It's the same kind of stuff they were saying with Supergirl initially.

The difference is this is on the CW network, and it's the CW president saying that. It is not the same situation as Supergirl had, that's the puzzling bit. Whatever excuses for this sailed when they launched it on CW.

• Options

The difference is this is on the CW network, and it's the CW president saying that. It is not the same situation as Supergirl had, that's the puzzling bit. Whatever excuses for this sailed when they launched it on CW.

They want the show to be taken seriously as a show about issues facing black people. If they make it part of the Arrowverse right away, there are always going to be concerns that they are going to pair him with a white superhero in case he starts superlooting.

• Options
    Yeah, it makes perfect sense for them to let this stand as its own thing, at least for now so it can establish itself a bit better. It always easy to come back to that later and say "you know what? this is how it's going to cross over..."

But for now, let Black Lightning be its own thing. Let it establish its more serious structure, etc.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I just started The Flash.

It is very entertaining. Barry is brilliantly cast. And hey it’s JDs older brother!

If they can keep this level of fun up beyond the first 6 episodes, it will easily surpass most Marvelverse shows.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I just started The Flash.

It is very entertaining. Barry is brilliantly cast. And hey it’s JDs older brother!

If they can keep this level of fun up beyond the first 6 episodes, it will easily surpass most Marvelverse shows.

Flash season 1 is kind of a joy.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying the current season of the Flash, although
    The very current storyline is a bit of a downer. I imagine it'll be resolved fairly quickly though.

• Options
    I'd recommend just finishing Flash S1 and then immediately switching to Legends S2 and never going back.

As for current Flash,
    maybe I'm cynical that they thought an old actor needed to be replaced by a younger one, but the new actor just doesn't have the same character. I loved that his power was his mind and the irony that his body was failing. It's very quick that he is able to just dismiss that problem, plus gain telepathy on top of a high level of prediction.

It's nice not to have a speedster villain (assuming Thinker hasn't transferred himself to Flash's body by the end), but cramming the last 2 seasons into the last few weeks has convinced me that this secret plan they're not talking about is not being talked about because the writers haven't figured out what it is at this point in the season.

• Options
    I just want to see Jefferson Pierce react to everyone taking orders from Ollie in the crossover.

Like.... he's gotta listen to this kid? And he's only been doing this for 6 years? Bullshit.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I just want to see Jefferson Pierce react to everyone taking orders from Ollie in the crossover.

Like.... he's gotta listen to this kid? And he's only been doing this for 6 years? Bullshit.

Technically Ollie has been heroing for 11 years now.

But yes.