As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Are there any good female led cyberpunk stories?

Ghost in the Shell?

Transistor, maybe?

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams is considered a classic of the genre and features a female protagonist.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The Peripheral is pretty cyberpunk has a female lead, and is written by one of the titans of cyberpunk, William Gibson. It's cool seeing him write in 2014 and the outlook on the future compared to when he was writing in 1984 for Neuromancer.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Archangel Protocol has a female lead who is a hard-boiled PI hacker.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Appleseed I like even more than Ghost in the Shell.

d45889bc4c7889a1646503245e33553f--masamune-shirow-anime-characters.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    augh, I should have thought of that first...
    it's been wayyyy too long.

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Icey. Honestly, a strong female lead or presence is part of most of the big noir sci fi I can think of right now, with the exception of Blade Runner. It's not a genre for passive women; they tend to be hunters or hunted just like everyone else in those worlds.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    Icey. Honestly, a strong female lead or presence is part of most of the big noir sci fi I can think of right now, with the exception of Blade Runner. It's not a genre for passive women; they tend to be hunters or hunted just like everyone else in those worlds.

It also helps that all the cyberware and guns helps smooth over any natural imbalances in physical ability.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i want to play a character with lots of arms

obF2Wuw.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I know it's Shadowrun and not Cyberpunk...but are these enough arms?

ai5oc1fh206b.jpg

...or, wait...were you talking about "arms" in the literal, biological sense? 8-)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I know it's Shadowrun and not Cyberpunk...but are these enough arms?

ai5oc1fh206b.jpg

...or, wait...were you talking about "arms" in the literal, biological sense? 8-)

or both

kx8uInS.jpg

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I want to play a sentient gun. Just a bigass rifle with legs, the stock is the torso, the barrel the neck with some sort of optical system at the muzzle in place of eyes. It will communicate entirely through percussive noises and be deeply committed to nonviolence.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I want to play a sentient gun. Just a bigass rifle with legs, the stock is the torso, the barrel the neck with some sort of optical system at the muzzle in place of eyes. It will communicate entirely through percussive noises and be deeply committed to nonviolence.

Call it "Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Ghost in the Shell?

If you want something more recent VA-11 Hall-A is good, if you don't mind visual novels.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular

If at the end you got turned into a sentient tractor, it could be a biblical metaphor.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i dont want to lose my arms

that would make me... armless...

obF2Wuw.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

bastion-gameplay.jpg

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Call it "Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall"

Me, I'm Counting

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Ghost in the Shell?

Ghost in the Shell (in most of its incarnations) has a great female lead--that's sort of a trademark of Shiro Masamune's work, and he did the same in Appleseed and Dominion, though not as effectively--but the franchise is consistently and firmly in the realm of post-cyberpunk (well, maybe not the American movie, I haven't seen it). On one hand, it's easy to treat post-cyberpunk as fundamentally cyerbpunk, though on the other hand a lot of fundamental qualities of post-cyberpunk make it anti-cyberpunk in nature (particularly the characteristic of antagonists being anti-punk, i.e. law enforcement, figures of authority or power, etc.). So it depends on your definition--of course, for all we know the game could end up being post-cyberpunk, since you play some sort of law enforcement agency (the strongest portrayals of GitS have the heroine consistently remain in her position of authority and power, that's part of the challenge).

(What a shock hearing this from me.)

• GSMGSM Registered User regular
    What I want out of Cyberpunk 2077 the most is a dense futuristic urban jungle, with dangerous dark alleyways, glowing high-end upper class districts, and impossibly tall corporate skyscrapers. I want Night City to be a living place with danger and opportunity around every sharp corner. I was so angry when Prey 2 got canceled and they threw away a place I wanted to visit. All the Ubisoft and Rockstar cities are the right scale, but the wrong density. You're always on a mission to somewhere and never really exploring to find something worth finding. But the RPG style approach that CD Project use would give a city more purpose and meaning. Not just random encounter battles as you get from A to B, but side stories with real characters and interesting consequences. Fill a city with that and I'm there.

We'll get back there someday.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I know this is a thread for Cyberpunk, and not a thread for cyberpunk, so thanks for the recommendations

I am also reminded that I need to finish that first Shadowrun game that got Kickstarted a few years back. I played as an elf lady with magicks and a shotgun.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    i dont want to lose my arms

that would make me... armless...

After a review, you would be updated with a little grabber.

Mostly armless.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    What I want out of Cyberpunk 2077 the most is a dense futuristic urban jungle, with dangerous dark alleyways, glowing high-end upper class districts, and impossibly tall corporate skyscrapers. I want Night City to be a living place with danger and opportunity around every sharp corner. I was so angry when Prey 2 got canceled and they threw away a place I wanted to visit. All the Ubisoft and Rockstar cities are the right scale, but the wrong density. You're always on a mission to somewhere and never really exploring to find something worth finding. But the RPG style approach that CD Project use would give a city more purpose and meaning. Not just random encounter battles as you get from A to B, but side stories with real characters and interesting consequences. Fill a city with that and I'm there.

I'm with you on this. One of the things I loved with the Deus Ex games was the claustrophobic feel of the cities. Everything was a path, each with their advantages and disadvantages and your world was just as important to getting what you wanted as much as shooting guns was. It's also why I love Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines. Each hub was a character in itself and you wanted to get to know it, inside and out. I think GTA3 did it kinda well, as today, I can pop in that game and I know where every body armor, rocket launcher and Banshee is.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Flying power armor? Phhbb. You might as well be using orbital missile satellites.

n92vmr217rnn.jpg

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Flying power armor? Phhbb. You might as well be using orbital missile satellites.

n92vmr217rnn.jpg
    "T is for Tank
    and T is for Terror
    and K is the K for 'Killing in Error'..."

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

Ghost in the Shell?

Ghost in the Shell (in most of its incarnations) has a great female lead--that's sort of a trademark of Shiro Masamune's work, and he did the same in Appleseed and Dominion, though not as effectively--but the franchise is consistently and firmly in the realm of post-cyberpunk (well, maybe not the American movie, I haven't seen it). On one hand, it's easy to treat post-cyberpunk as fundamentally cyerbpunk, though on the other hand a lot of fundamental qualities of post-cyberpunk make it anti-cyberpunk in nature (particularly the characteristic of antagonists being anti-punk, i.e. law enforcement, figures of authority or power, etc.). So it depends on your definition--of course, for all we know the game could end up being post-cyberpunk, since you play some sort of law enforcement agency (the strongest portrayals of GitS have the heroine consistently remain in her position of authority and power, that's part of the challenge).

I see no difference in your definition between cyberpunk and "post cyberpunk." If Ghost in the Shell isn't cyberpunk I don't know what is.

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    GITS just has a sci-fi setting that includes cyborgs, it doesn't really apply any of the themes of cyberpunk fiction.

Is time a gift or punishment?
    GSM:
    A city of that size and density is, quite literally, a colossal undertaking. I'm not sure that any developer could, or would, (attempt to) build such a thing.
    There are reasons, and I don't just mean technical ones like "how many NPCs can the engine handle at once", why we don't see those in released games.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    No true Scotsman.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

Ghost in the Shell?

Maybe it’s not punk in the traditional sense, but it definitely has the punk aspect covered. Section 9 often fights mega corps, as well as people and organizations higher up the government ladder. They even work on the fringe at some points too.

CD Projekt Red will be doing us a massive disservice if they don’t fully explore punk themes and do so often. Especially with times we live in. I want to fight some mega corps.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Taranis wrote: »

Ghost in the Shell?

Maybe it’s not punk in the traditional sense, but it definitely has the punk aspect covered. Section 9 often fights mega corps, as well as people and organizations higher up the government ladder. They even work on the fringe at some points too.

CD Projekt Red will be doing us a massive disservice if they don’t fully explore punk themes and do so often. Especially with times we live in. I want to fight some mega corps.

Fighting at the behest and in the interest of the government is not very punk.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »

Ghost in the Shell?

I see no difference in your definition between cyberpunk and "post cyberpunk." If Ghost in the Shell isn't cyberpunk I don't know what is.

GitS isn't really dystopian at all, which would be the big dividing line for me from cyberpunk. Corporations are powerful, but far from all-powerful; governments are still in charge and generally seem to enforce their laws quite effectively, though it's not great everywhere. With GitS, something like the vision control from The Laughing Man arc is, though scary and powerful, extremely limited in application and people in control of it; in cyberpunk, that sort of thing would be everywhere and virtually everybody would be living in fear of the Eye Company or something like that suddenly making them all blind.

Shadowrun Seattle is a risky place to live for just about anybody, but the New Port City of GitS has tens of millions of people that live completely ordinary lives with no concern for things like a company going rogue and suddenly turning an AI droid army loose on the city to take over.

The GitS setting is definitely something like what you would get if you nuked the Shadowrun setting. The survivors were mad about the corporations fucking everything up, strip their powers away, get governments back in place with a strong motivation to prevent total control by a handful of wealthy elite, and then it's the business of history as usual alongside things like cybertechnology.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, as much as I love GitS, it is more an exploration of what life might be like a couple decades from now and less general cyberpunk dystopia. Which I admit is a pretty blurry line, but as mentioned before one of the big key differences is "What is life like for the average Joe" and in GitS it is really no different than today. Better in a lot of ways actually.

Heh, I suppose you could say general cyberpunk is the future as told by a cynic, whereas GitS is the future as told by a realist.

That said, I'm certainly not going to be bothered if anyone calls GitS 'Cyberpunk' as it does have a lot of the same elements.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I'm pretty apathetic about the technical distinctions. Like, if it's got new tech that radically changes things in some ways, but is still a somewhat recognizable human world, with the acknowledgement that tech may change, but people don't, is pretty much Cyberpunk to me.

edited January 2018
    It doesn't necessarily have to be Blade Runner levels of shitty for it to be cyberpunk, the genre is generally defined by radical negative social upheaval triggered by sudden technological advance.

Edit: wrong word

Donnicton on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It doesn't necessarily have to be Blade Runner levels of shitty for it to be dystopian, the genre is generally defined by radical negative social upheaval triggered by sudden technological advance.

Which is why people generally refer to GitS is post-cyberpunk. By the time the story starts they're well past social upheaval do to technology. Most of the social unrest in the show just comes from the huge influx of immigrants (illegal or otherwise).

For the vast majority of citizens in GitS's future Japan life is pretty sweet.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The shortest way to put it is a point that a couple people have already said, which is basically: cops aren't punk.

For a lot of people these days, though, the "punk" in cyberpunk means literally nothing. It's like the "punk" in steampunk. Cyberpunk is basically just an aesthetic for a lot of people. So in that case, GitS is super cyberpunk, because it's cyber as fuck!

TychoCelchuuu on
    Unless of course the cop is a raging alcoholic.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Without splitting hairs, I think Ghost in the Shell is cyberpunk. The protagonist(s) doesn't literally have to be from the punk music subculture to qualify.

We're getting away from Cyberpunk 2077 here though. As far as I'm concerned, if the game checks enough of the boxes, we're safe calling it cyberpunk.

EH28YFo.jpg
    edited January 2018
    It's not like Cyberpunk, the tabletop game, was really all that punk in actual play - in my experience, it tended to proceed quickly to (or start with) straight-up adolescent power fantasy, not unlike its similarly "mature" and "story-focused" contemporary, Vampire et al.

(I remember being darkly amused by Mike Pondsmith complaining about how whenever he went to conventions, fanboys would come up to him and start gushing at him about their riced-out chromebois that could take on an entire Arasaka tac squad themselves. And then, of course, on the same page, he mentions his own uber badass GMPC, Morgan Blackhand... gee, Mike, where do you think they got the idea that's what the game was about?)

Commander Zoom on