As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Brought to you by Prime Minister Lump of Coal

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    How does changing the date solve the problem?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2018
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    How does changing the date solve the problem?

well Jan 26th is the anniversary of the first fleet
    like, it's explicitly supposed to celebrate the day whitefellas plonked all their shit down on the beach.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Ah.
    edit- and the Constitution was done on New Years right? So that's not an option.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Day#Suggested_changes_to_the_date

I think the 3rd of March is a good idea. It's about the closest thing we have to an independence day, at least until we actually become a republic.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    3rd of March would quite often clash with WA Labour day, I guess we could just get a couple of days off in a row.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Cory Bernardi is throwing his own hottest 100 on spotify.

Many bands from the list have told him to fuck off and remove their song.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-18/cory-bernardi-launches-alternative-hottest-100-playlist/9338566

He then says this is proof of censorship by the intolerant left.

Does ANYBODY in politics actually know what censorship means?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-18/cory-bernardi-launches-alternative-hottest-100-playlist/9338566

It means people disagree with me and that's not okay, duh.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

What the everloving fuck?

I mean... I can't... what?

An artist (or in this case a group of artists) objecting to being used in a CLEARLY partisan manner, is NOT censorship.

If this was his own personal account, it STILL wouldn't be censorship, but there'd at least be a smidge of an argument to be made that an artist probably shouldn't be able to discriminate on a personal level (fair use, etc) It's a shitty argument, but one I'd hear before probably disagreeing with.

But as part of LITERALLY a political website? No. Just no.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

I just found out about this and was like "oh shit there's an Australian thread in D&D." I've been beaten!

But yeah that's a very silly assertion of what 'censorship' is. If anything, he's more likely to censor the artists in question, being that he's a politician and the government can actually act against artists if it chooses to be oppressive.

I love that it isn't just the artists dunking on him though. Spotify itself is saying "dude what are you DOING?"

I looked this guy up and hoo boy. He sounds like the typical right-winger; hates Islam, gay people, is a climate change denier. The biggest thing to his name that I'm getting at this cursory glance is that he founded his current political party last year. Which is a little telling as far as what he's after because 2017 was the year of white supremacists globally coming out the woodwork to go "we're jacking things up to a 10."

Where does he fall in the Australia election cycle? I have no idea how that works but apparently that's later this year going into next year?

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    It isn't censorship because he is using their music to push a political agenda.

If he just made a playlist of tracks he liked then said "Hey everyone this is what I'm listening to on Australia Day" then I don't think the artists should have any recourse to say they wanted to be pulled from his playlist if he has access to their content legally.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

I just found out about this and was like "oh shit there's an Australian thread in D&D." I've been beaten!

But yeah that's a very silly assertion of what 'censorship' is. If anything, he's more likely to censor the artists in question, being that he's a politician and the government can actually act against artists if it chooses to be oppressive.

I love that it isn't just the artists dunking on him though. Spotify itself is saying "dude what are you DOING?"

I looked this guy up and hoo boy. He sounds like the typical right-winger; hates Islam, gay people, is a climate change denier. The biggest thing to his name that I'm getting at this cursory glance is that he founded his current political party last year. Which is a little telling as far as what he's after because 2017 was the year of white supremacists globally coming out the woodwork to go "we're jacking things up to a 10."

Where does he fall in the Australia election cycle? I have no idea how that works but apparently that's later this year going into next year?

Eh.
    We have mandatory voting.
    He'll get in if his electorate wants him in.
    And our electoral maps are drawn up by a, by law, independent public department.

So, at worst, extremists getting in only serve to pull power away from the major party on their side of the fence, by potentially scuppering any policy that might be palatable to the more centrist major party members.

I mean, I guess motivating voters to not draw dicks on their ballots might be a thing?
    But otherwise I can't see people who disagree with Cory voting any worse for him being in the running, and Cory voters may forget to vote for his old party next when voting for him, allowing the opposite side to win.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Bernadi is a senator and will be running for the senate. He doesn’t have an electorate, it's the whole dang state.

He left the Liberal Party last year. Being a senator he has a six year term to sit. I doubt that he gets re-elected without the backing of the Liberal Party. But that may be wishful thinking given the state in question is South Australia

• Options
    Ugh.
    I always get confused with the senate and house voting papers.
    Why can't the bigger sheet be for the bigger house :(

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Ugh.
    I always get confused with the senate and house voting papers.
    Why can't the bigger sheet be for the bigger house :(
    Because there's only a half dozen or so people contesting the district you're in, but several dozen people contesting across the entire state?

• Options
    Sure.
    Reason doesn't seem to make things intuitive though.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Well, Jacinda Ardern has announced she is pregnant, with the child due in June.
    I'm very happy for her, and also not looking forward to the number of times I'm going to have to glower at my colleagues for stupidity.

Also, the inevitable editorial questioning whether she can do the job under these circumstances, etc etc etc. With luck, however, it brings some actual productive discourse.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Also, Cory seems to have completely missed the point that the hottest 100 is supposed to be songs from last year. "Land down under" most certainly doesn't qualify.

I probably shouldn't be surprised that a right-winger has completely ignored nuance in favor of shouting drivel, and yet...

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Now I wish I'd paid more attention to the "jacinda has no children" furore last year.

Well, that's not true, I still don't want to read stupid op-eds. If I do want to know it's only to compare the stupid hypotheticals to reality.

Or... Jacinda is faking her pregnacy just like Beyonce! We must investigate #babygate.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Mostly I'm wondering if there were in fact additional ulterior political reasons to push through that maternity leave bill under urgency for no good reasons before Christmas. It was a stupid unnecessary contrivance when it was obvious they were really only doing it that way to score '100-day plan' points or whatever, but now I'm wondering if they didn't also just want it out of the way so they didn't have to deal with moronic 'pregnant PM pushes through maternity leave bill' Op-EDs from opposition bloggers.

Honestly, avoiding the utter inanity of creating that bollocks furore discussion is probably a better reason than 'we followed an American model of political campaign sloganing that doesn't actually make any sense in the context of the New Zealand political governance process, but now we're going to follow through even though it's a monumentally stupid and unnecessary thing to do'.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I got so excited that I squeaked.

And then loudly to myself yelled "Take that you stupid newscaster asshole".

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Dear Australia, apparently I owe you an apology.

For years I've sat here self confident and smug about our refugee stance, assuming my fellow Kiwis were more enlightened and educated about the plight and situation of the international refugee crisis, assuming that we all knew that not only was Australia's stance heinous, but that we could probably take a few more to be pulling our weight internationally.

And above all I thought we were aware that the Tasman Sea is a goddamn vipers pit of distance and dangerous waters that make it impracticable and infeasible to actually, you know, sail a boat full refugees here.

But reading todays paper and then looking at online discussion, it has become apparent to me that in fact apparently my assumption that we are not a country full of ignorant idiots is deeply, deeply mistaken. Because I've never seen so much uninformed wrongness in my life.

For starters, a good number seem deeply confused and do not appear to understand the difference between an immigrant and a refugee. Or an illegal overstayer, for that matter. The idea that these are different, separate categories of people entering New Zealand seems to be completely lost on a much larger contingent of people than I thought would exist. They're all just darkies what speak foreign that take our jobs but also are dangerous unemployed criminals (which again, what?).

Secondly, therre's a deep and seemingly even larger contingent of people who are under some mistaken belief that New Zealand is even reachable by boats of people smugglers.
    Like, do my co-citizens ever look at a damn map? Do they not understand that we are thousands of fucking miles away, across a very treacherous and unpredictable ocean? A vast number of people appear to be under the impression that Australian policy alone is responsible for turning back a tide of hundreds of vessels destined for NZ shores which is totally and definitely some thing that would happen even though compared to Australia New Zealand is only marginally more achievable than the Moon.

I mean, here's a loose scale depiction of what we're talking about:
    Indonesia

Australia

(strong currents)

(sharks)

(storms)

(you're still fucking closer to Australia than you are NZ at this point)

(fuck it let's just go to Queensland)

New Zealand

... I mean, why would you? Who in their right mind thinks that anyone is coming here and that's a reasonable and realistic threat? Well, apparently a whole swathe of my compatriots, who have swallowed the Australian/alt-right/people smuggler's own propaganda. Jesus.

You know who doesn't think the boats are coming here? Australian fucking Intelligence, whose leak started this whole mess. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm quite saddened to discover apparently my country may be filled with nearly as many ignorant racist dillholes as your petty country.

Jesus, what a fucking pair we make.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I think the, poorly-made, claim is that the refugees would first be captured by Australian authorities, and then be repatriated in NZ.
    And so more refugees are coming hoping to get into NZ by sailing boats at Australia.

This would explain why the US deal isn't the same, because they're likely as inhumane as us.
    Or perhaps not, at least by Trump's admission.

But yeah, Dutton didn't say that.
    He's implied they'd sail all the way to NZ by the looks of it.

And I would think that fleeing wherever on a dodgy boat requires enough of a push factor that any pull factor is negligible.
    And given NZ is likely more hospitable, I'd prefer to go there than remain on Manus too.

But people will fear what they're told, and there's all too many people who will exploit that.
    And so the fears and hate persist.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Someone put Dutton on a boat in the Tasman, plz.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Dear Australia, apparently I owe you an apology.

For years I've sat here self confident and smug about our refugee stance, assuming my fellow Kiwis were more enlightened and educated about the plight and situation of the international refugee crisis, assuming that we all knew that not only was Australia's stance heinous, but that we could probably take a few more to be pulling our weight internationally.

And above all I thought we were aware that the Tasman Sea is a goddamn vipers pit of distance and dangerous waters that make it impracticable and infeasible to actually, you know, sail a boat full refugees here.

But reading todays paper and then looking at online discussion, it has become apparent to me that in fact apparently my assumption that we are not a country full of ignorant idiots is deeply, deeply mistaken. Because I've never seen so much uninformed wrongness in my life.

For starters, a good number seem deeply confused and do not appear to understand the difference between an immigrant and a refugee. Or an illegal overstayer, for that matter. The idea that these are different, separate categories of people entering New Zealand seems to be completely lost on a much larger contingent of people than I thought would exist. They're all just darkies what speak foreign that take our jobs but also are dangerous unemployed criminals (which again, what?).

Secondly, therre's a deep and seemingly even larger contingent of people who are under some mistaken belief that New Zealand is even reachable by boats of people smugglers.
    Like, do my co-citizens ever look at a damn map? Do they not understand that we are thousands of fucking miles away, across a very treacherous and unpredictable ocean? A vast number of people appear to be under the impression that Australian policy alone is responsible for turning back a tide of hundreds of vessels destined for NZ shores which is totally and definitely some thing that would happen even though compared to Australia New Zealand is only marginally more achievable than the Moon.

I mean, here's a loose scale depiction of what we're talking about:
    Indonesia

Australia

(strong currents)

(sharks)

(storms)

(you're still fucking closer to Australia than you are NZ at this point)

(fuck it let's just go to Queensland)

New Zealand

... I mean, why would you? Who in their right mind thinks that anyone is coming here and that's a reasonable and realistic threat? Well, apparently a whole swathe of my compatriots, who have swallowed the Australian/alt-right/people smuggler's own propaganda. Jesus.

You know who doesn't think the boats are coming here? Australian fucking Intelligence, whose leak started this whole mess. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm quite saddened to discover apparently my country may be filled with nearly as many ignorant racist dillholes as your petty country.

Jesus, what a fucking pair we make.

You got a leftish government in power, you're going to have to brace for the entirety of the right wing to push xenophobic bullshit in perpetuity because conservative ideology is just broken at this stage, and this is all they have.

• Options
    Same with the Maori language. Now that National is out of government, “You can’t rely on a government and a bureaucracy to save someone else’s language.”
    Is that, "we're not government anymore so the government is bad?" Is it a belief that was unstated while they were in power to avoid causing a kerfuffle? Probably both.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just when you hadn't consciously thought about Anthony Mundine in so long you'd almost forgotten that he's a total piece of shit, he mentions he thinks hanging LGBTQIA folks might be a good idea.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    He has been punched in the head a lot.

• Options
    Amazing.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    He has been punched in the head a lot.

He was a moron long before that.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I don't think I could have imagined a more extreme case study of the double standard in politics and political journalism than the current Barnaby situation if I tried. I can't even describe it as a "scandal" with how many layers of kids gloves people are using on it. Barnaby barely even has to answer questions on this but if it were a female politician in the same position she would have likely been hounded out of the country months ago.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I have a question. We all knew about the affair months back. Why the hell did it take the media this long to start caring?

• Options
    edited February 2018
    It probably makes a better photo now.
    (Although I only learned of this now I think)

discrider on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    I have a question. We all knew about the affair months back. Why the hell did it take the media this long to start caring?

Perhaps blood in the water after over his fiasco over dual citizenship.

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »

The excuses are that they couldn't get the story to stand up (sourcing, proving claims etc), it would have just been reporting on rumours.

• Options
    Wow. They're really sticking with Joyce.

What a fucking farce.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Wow. They're really sticking with Joyce.

What a fucking farce.

At this point it has to be a group within the Nationals saying that either they stick with him or the coalition falls apart. They can't be that fucking stupid.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    OK so today was more farcical.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    In what other scenario would a person fuck up to such an extent they change the code of conduct for their entire organisation and not get fired.

• Options
    None.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.