As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I find I can never really play dungeon crawl-style boardgames, because I get frustrated at the constraints and end up just wishing I was playing a full-fledged RPG out of a book with a character sheet instead.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I find I can never really play dungeon crawl-style boardgames, because I get frustrated at the constraints and end up just wishing I was playing a full-fledged RPG out of a book with a character sheet instead.

I sort of go the other direction. When I play mechanics and combat-heavy RPGs like D&D I look at them and wish I was playing a tighter and better-designed board game instead.

Gloomhaven's my favorite by far, though, as it leans so hard into combat puzzle, which is exactly what I want out of it.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, I want my RPGs to have minimal, rules light combat and I want my dungeon crawl boardgames (and everything I have seen about Gloomhaven makes it look like a dungeon crawl boardgame) to be tactical and crunchy and rules heavy.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    I like rules and structure. Light but deep and systems that can be house ruled to hell and back.

Heroquest is knocking...

kx3klFE.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Gloomhaven is currently in stock at Amazon - as in sold by Amazon and not a 3rd party. $133.25 plus free shipping. Would arrive on Tuesday for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZXVN4P

@Spawnbroker

edit: Also available to pre-order at coolstuffinc now for $129.99, which would also be free shipping and tax-free if you're outside of FL, I believe.

Ketar on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Speaking of, my own copy arrived, and jeez. Only took six hours to punch, bag and label everything. About half of that time was probably spent resisting the urge to open all the mysterious packets and boxes, though.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Gloomhaven is currently in stock at Amazon - as in sold by Amazon and not a 3rd party. $133.25 plus free shipping. Would arrive on Tuesday for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZXVN4P

@Spawnbroker

edit: Also available to pre-order at coolstuffinc now for $129.99, which would also be free shipping and tax-free if you're outside of FL, I believe.

My order from miniature market already shipped, but thanks for thinking of me!

In other, more hilarious, news: Compleat Strategist called us and told us they had copies for sale, but "some of the boxes are damaged, but still playable" WTF does that mean? Get out of here with that, I don't want a damaged board game.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    It means you ask what the discount is!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Im trying to save for a new computer, dont be listing good deals for gloomhaven to me

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    but "some of the boxes are damaged, but still playable" WTF does that mean?

Sometimes it means one of the corners of the box has a tiny dent. Sometimes it means the person who was cutting open the shipping package was a little too zealous with the blade and they've actually cut an eight inch gash in the box lid. It usually does not mean someone left the box out in the rain.

Personally I'm willing to accept a slightly dented corner for a discount, since I'm likely to damage the game worse than that the first time I play.

Fry on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Well would you look at that. Gloomhaven has shipped from Amazon and will arrive on Monday.

I made it 18 whole days into 2018 without buying a board game! At least this one was using holiday gift card money?

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    vn0TUocl.png

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I'm working very hard to resist buying Gloomhaven, it would never ever hit my table.

Fortunately it's selling out so fast that my self-control doesn't have to last very long.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thank a merciful god I don't believe in that a friend of mine bought Gloomhaven and formed a group before it become readily available.

• SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    That didn't save me. I'm playing in a group but I, uhhh, bought my own copy for a solo run.

I did, however, use gift card money, following Ketar's example!

Saurfang on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I ended up caving and ordered it yesterday, probably won't ship for a few days I imagine but the group I'd play with wants to try Eldritch Horror first so that's ok with me :)

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Thank a merciful god I don't believe in that a friend of mine bought Gloomhaven and formed a group before it become readily available.

One of my guys defected to someone else's group part-time and keeps talking up Scoundrel.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Just picked up Eclipse: Shadow of the Rift to complete my Eclipse collection and tacked on Hunt for the Ring. Podcast I listen to talked up Hunt for the Ring a lot and sold me on it. Plus I really really love hidden movement games.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    Scoundrel is very good at what she does (move fast, loot everything, and murder single targets with extreme prejudice) but I think I prefer the utility of the Cragheart, who manages the trick of being able to do a little bit of everything without being awful; its only real weakness is a lack of high single target damage.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    We're almost done with the first "mission" in Mansions of Madness 1st edition.

I really enjoy playing the keeper in games like this. Having apps be the keeper is super cool, too, but I like being GM in games! I like fucking with my friends, looking at how they play or where they're going and start messing with them.

One of the guys I'm playing with, we have an occasional Call of Cthulhu game we're players in and being able to really look at the stark differences between that and this strictly structured board game is interesting.

Anyway, it's fun! And I have the 2nd edition so we'll probably do that in the coming weeks, as a compare and contrast.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Let’s keep Gloomhaven stuff behind spoiler tags or make a game specific thread.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Let’s keep Gloomhaven stuff behind spoiler tags or make a game specific thread.

Those are both starter characters, but point taken!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I have been watching Gloomhaven collect dust on my friend self for half a year as he has been "too busy" to commit to starting. Its infuriating!
    We're almost done with the first "mission" in Mansions of Madness 1st edition.

I really enjoy playing the keeper in games like this. Having apps be the keeper is super cool, too, but I like being GM in games! I like fucking with my friends, looking at how they play or where they're going and start messing with them.

One of the guys I'm playing with, we have an occasional Call of Cthulhu game we're players in and being able to really look at the stark differences between that and this strictly structured board game is interesting.

Anyway, it's fun! And I have the 2nd edition so we'll probably do that in the coming weeks, as a compare and contrast.

The final mission in the base game is a real treat for the GM, try not to be too mean on your investigators. I loved being the GM too, watching the investigators travel about the mansion while you know what is going on, its a fun fly on the wall feeling. Getting to lay all your traps carefully, trying to distract the party from progressing the plot, getting to play with all the fun monsters, saving those really neat effect cards for just the right moment.

Though, after playing 2nd edition, its hard to go back. The set up time is nearly negligible compared to the old version, and no more risk of a misplaced card ruining a run, and basically no down time during play. It has been a lot easier to get it to the table for all those reasons too, so over the last year I've played it a lot more 2nd than I ever did 1st. The NPCs really add a lot to making the mansions feel lived in and give you something to do more than just beat on/run from monsters and click on question marks. I've had some great "Everything was going fine, then everyone started going insane" games.

About the only complaint I have with the new edition is the "clues" don't feel as guiding so our group tends to investigate everything because who knows what's important. Some scenarios are better than others with this.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    For the newest owners of gloomhaven, check out some of the organization solutions. You can do something like a full insert from broken token or a more diy solution using tackle boxes. I went the tackle box route and am pretty happy with it.

Reducing setup/teardown time is great.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    For the newest owners of gloomhaven, check out some of the organization solutions. You can do something like a full insert from broken token or a more diy solution using tackle boxes. I went the tackle box route and am pretty happy with it.

It's not too bad when it's all bagged up, but I think I'll add in the monster tuckboxes at some point. Having the cards, the sheets and the standees for each type all in one place is probably the biggest timesaver.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

I have the Broken Token insert for GLOOMHAVEN, it works very well but be aware that it took me about four hours to put all of the inserts together.

4 Plano boxes work real well. Not perfect, but it's cheap.

kx3klFE.png

That is the diy solution I referred to. I am happy with it as well.

The only real pain is the monster cards. They're all just kinda mashed together. So it's a bit of work to get the ones you need for a scenario

kx3klFE.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Gonna get my first play of Spirit Island in today, I'm excited. I think it's going to be a good one.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Had a casual game night with some people last night, and I think I've got some people on the hook to get into games and play more regularly which is always exciting :) we played The Climbers, Paris Connection, and Century Spice Road. All three went down really well.

The only real pain is the monster cards. They're all just kinda mashed together. So it's a bit of work to get the ones you need for a scenario

Did you follow the "YASS" for gloomhaven from board game geek? The thread provides printable legends for the plano boxes. They work great.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147058/yss-plano-3600-layout-legends

Did you follow the "YASS" for gloomhaven from board game geek? The thread provides printable legends for the plano boxes. They work great.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147058/yss-plano-3600-layout-legends

That's the exact one! :D

kx3klFE.png
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of storage solutions!

We played Fresco for the first time last time, and enjoyed it! But the box has a cardboard bar that goes across the insert cavity and keeps you from putting the player screens inside. Is there some better way to organize the box?

(Any searches for the Fresco box only return the big collection, which people are lauding for space design.)

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Speaking of storage solutions!

We played Fresco for the first time last time, and enjoyed it! But the box has a cardboard bar that goes across the insert cavity and keeps you from putting the player screens inside. Is there some better way to organize the box?

(Any searches for the Fresco box only return the big collection, which people are lauding for space design.)

Step 1) throw away all inserts

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Gonna play Cosmic Encounter with 3 players tonight. Am excited. It is "just" the base game, so there are "only" 50 aliens in the box

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Got my copy of Gloomhaven as well via a buddy and a FLGS.

Think we have enough interest to establish a separate Gloomhaven thread?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Finally got a chance to play Joking Hazard for the first time. Buddy had that and a couple of the expansions. After the first 4 hours it got a little dry. But it was the only thing we could play with 12% beer after that many hours, so we forged on. There was the occasional gold combination that killed us, but there was a lot of meh too. Overall a great party/drinking game as long as you only play it every so often.

kx3klFE.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    4 hrs! Ouch.

No spoilers below that wouldn't be known from first setup I don't think.

Played Netrunner Terminal Directive last night for the first time since potentially July. First game ended on the corps second turn after I thought I was clever and used a card to access 5 cards from R&D which resulted in zero agendas, but a snare. Immediately suffered scorched Earth and that was that. Oops.

Second game took a gamble to progress some legacy stuff, and did the same thing (can't remember card name) to access five cards and turned over 5 agenda points. Then another event triggered and I ended up poor the last game turning into a very long game that resulted in a failure to plan on my part and a corporate win.

We both have 1 loss remaining before something happens.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Today is an Arkham LCG day. We’ll either best this terrible scenario that’s stymied us like 6 times or say fuck it and move on.

ACsTqqK.jpg