As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LET'S PLAY TOGETHER] The Witcher 3! The playthrough has begun!

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'm kind of curious how you get the sad ending or another ending as other than killing Radovid not sure what else majorly would change things. But no way am I starting over to find out. Yay for other people's playthroughs. [/spoiler]
    Spoken from personal experience, it's really easy - and REALLY SAD - to get the sad ending. I was personally devastated for a few days.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    White Frost:
    I was actually a little disappointed about how they handled it in the game. I know it needed an overarching evil bad thing, but I much preferred the explanation in the books-- that the conjunction knocked the planet off its axis, and the White Frost was just climate change.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Not Witcher, but still CD Projekt Red

That's the first tweet from the Cyberpunk 2077 account in just over four years

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Ending talk
    i YouTube'd the ciri dies ending and it's some rough stuff.

Geralt sitting there cradling the medallion while monsters close in is heartbreaking

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    Ending talk
    i YouTube'd the ciri dies ending and it's some rough stuff.

Geralt sitting there cradling the medallion while monsters close in is heartbreaking

i watched a streamer get this without him knowing there were multiple options

he... didn't take it well

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    wow that robbery didn't go well.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

Are you playing HoS right now?

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »

Are you playing HoS right now?

Yep. I play like one quest every month or two haha.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That's a pretty good pace for that game, really

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Not Witcher, but still CD Projekt Red

That's the first tweet from the Cyberpunk 2077 account in just over four years

I hope that means the game is out soonish...

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm kind of curious how you get the sad ending or another ending as other than killing Radovid not sure what else majorly would change things. But no way am I starting over to find out. Yay for other people's playthroughs. [/spoiler]
    Spoken from personal experience, it's really easy - and REALLY SAD - to get the sad ending. I was personally devastated for a few days.
    Whether Ciri lives or dies depends entirely on 5 dialog choices you have with her. If you try to handle things yourself or not support her as well as you can in enough of them, then she won't have the self-assurance to win.

Blarghy on
  • Options
    Blarghy wrote: »
    Whether Ciri lives or dies depends entirely on 5 dialog choices you have with her. If you try to handle things yourself or not support her as well as you can in enough of them, then she won't have the self-assurance to win.

That's kind of odd, unless I'm reading your intent wrong:
    I told her to stay away from the Hunt every time, that being the smart move.

I did support her other ideas, though, like checking out mage elf's lab and trashing it and was generally supportive of anything else she wanted to do/did.

Maybe it was a close call.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

I did support her other ideas, though, like checking out mage elf's lab and trashing it and was generally supportive of anything else she wanted to do/did.

They are:

1. Pick the snowball fight option when Ciri is upset after Vesemir's death. Getting drunk with her is the bad option.
    2. When the Lodge of Sorceresses want to speak with Ciri, let her go in alone. Going in with her is the bad option.
    3. In Avallac'h's lab, trash it with Ciri after the she-elf insults her. Telling her to "calm down" is the bad option.
    4. When Ciri wants to visit Skjall's grave, go with her. Telling her there's no time is the bad option.
    5. If you take Ciri to see the emperor, don't accept his money. Taking the money is the bad option.

If you choose 3 bad options out of these, then Ciri dies.

• Options

They are:

1. Pick the snowball fight option when Ciri is upset after Vesemir's death. Getting drunk with her is the bad option.
    2. When the Lodge of Sorceresses want to speak with Ciri, let her go in alone. Going in with her is the bad option.
    3. In Avallac'h's lab, trash it with Ciri after the she-elf insults her. Telling her to "calm down" is the bad option.
    4. When Ciri wants to visit Skjall's grave, go with her. Telling her there's no time is the bad option.
    5. If you take Ciri to see the emperor, don't accept his money. Taking the money is the bad option.

If you choose 3 bad options out of these, then Ciri dies.

Ah, I only did one 'bad' thing (number 2) and missed that last one totally because fuck that guy.

Some of those are pretty shitty things to be negative, though. Like #2...

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    One and Three are a little obtuse I think. I got lucky rather than going "hmm yes that is a smart play"

• Options
    Yeah, looking at them all every single one it's BS to call one choice 'bad' except for the last one, and even then, there could be details to make it OK too (or totally not depending).
    I just don't drink so normally go with the that in-game and I didn't trust the elf so trash his stuff since you can't confront him or keep a close eye on him. And anything to get her to be cautious.

But I can easily see people picking all the wrong options thinking they were the smart/correct ones (except the money if it's presented in some kind of mercenary way, but even then taking his money doesn't hurt Ciri and just helps you/her).

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2018
    2, 4 and 5 are pretty unambiguously bad ideas. 1 is actually pretty obviously bad if you do it, but just seeing the options I can see why you might go "oh that seems fine.

Tube on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The choices
    And whether they're "good" or "bad" are meant to be hard to identify. I'm pretty sure CDPR wanted people to be surprised by their endings. There are a lot of players who report that they were totally surprised and gutpunched by getting the bad ending with the best of intentions--just like Geralt would be

Very few of the choices sound bad outright because Geralt--no matter how you play him--doesn't want to be terrible to Ciri. A lot of the "bad" choices are rooted in good intentions. It's just that all of them chip away at Ciri's self confidence instead of building it. Telling someone they don't have to be the best at something isn't terrible, necessarily, unless in truth they have to try to be without dying; going drinking is a thing Geralt would personally choose to cheer himself up. And so on.

Heck, accompanying her to the sorceresses is overprotective but makes a lot of sense for Geralt to want to do. At least one of the ladies has committed some hella assassinations, and all of them were part of the old Lodge that tried to covertly control Ciri and rule the world

Here's one of the accounts regarding getting the bad ending:
    https://kotaku.com/i-accidentally-got-the-worst-ending-in-the-witcher-3-1793040692

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I thought the choices made sense for Ciri and her development as a character, though it's easy to see how people wouldn't realise the choices were relevant for the ending.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    I think I didn't do 3

all the rest I got right. they just seemed like the choices that were appropriate for the characters involved.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Also, everytime someone posts in this thread it makes me want to play Witcher 3 again. I've already got 120 hours in it but I do now have a much better pc since I last played it...

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The sizable Polish gaming website GRY Online posted an article today saying that according to their sources, Cyberpunk 2077 will be at E3 this year with a trailer at one of the major conferences, and a behind-closed-doors gameplay demo at the show

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I finally finished Lady of the Lake. Overall I didn't like a great deal of it. I'm still digesting the ending. Now to finally work in finishing The Witcher 3. I was in Novigrad chasing every side quest. Last I had played i had just gotten to Skellige and was just starting quests there but put it down for a break.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The sizable Polish gaming website GRY Online posted an article today saying that according to their sources, Cyberpunk 2077 will be at E3 this year with a trailer at one of the major conferences, and a behind-closed-doors gameplay demo at the show

Is this site reliable?
    Either way I hope it's true, I'm very interested in this

• Options
    Well, mini crap. I didn't get Aerondight until like the last quest in Blood and Wine. Granted there's a tons of PoI's I skipped and a number of quests, but too many other games to play!

Blood and Wine towards the end:
    The Dettlaff fight sucked ass in phase 2 when he goes into super-bat mode. Stupid me didn't save it when Regis and him are fighting at the start (just dawned on me you probably can there) so got to see that whole sequence like 5 times. Luckily after finally getting past that bit the other phases weren't such a problem. Hardest fight in the game by far.

All in all a superb game, especially for $20. Maybe New Game+ some day.

• Options
    So I'm like around 17 or so and on Skellige. I was thinking of following the main storyline from here on out so I can actually finish the game and then after if possible hit the side quests and all that. Is this doable?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    For most of them, yes. But some stuff will get locked out toward the very end, unclear how many, but still lots to do after.

• Options
    For most of them, yes. But some stuff will get locked out toward the very end, unclear how many, but still lots to do after.

Thanks, I figured I'd be locked out from some, but as much as I did enjoy going to all the Billboards and Witcher'ing my way around, it really takes up a ton of time away from the main story.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    If I remember right, the general world quest and contracts don't get locked out. Its a few quests for Geralt's friends that can fail if you don't do them by certain points. Yennifer's last quest in skellega and a line that starts with helping Dandelion with the tavern in Novograd are the only ones I ever saw fail but there may be others.

The quest that causes those to fail is I think
    Ugly Baby

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    technically there's also one quest are kaer morhen where it says that you can't complete after a certain event, but if you just look up where the place is then you are fine

• Options
    Thanks! I did all of Dandelion and Zoltan's quests in Novigrad already. Part of the reason I keep getting burned out in the game as I try to chase down all quests in an area and go back to older area's when quests that were too high are now appropriate level.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Getting off my plane, saw a dude waiting for someone, holding a tablet in his hands, but instead of the person's name, it just had a huge logo of Gwent.
    I was sooooo tempted to come up and ask "How about a few rounds of cards? Gwent, specifically."

• Options
    So.

I think I'm near the end of Hearts of Stone.

I wonder how long it'll take me to get through blood and wine then...

• Options
    So.

I think I'm near the end of Hearts of Stone.

I wonder how long it'll take me to get through blood and wine then...

if you're doing everything? roughly twice as long

• Options
    ah ok. I don't think I'll do everthing. I kind of just want to beat the story and finally uninstall the game. it would free up 50 gigs or so haha.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Nothing wrong with that. Naturally there are some great side quests and upgrading the estate scratches an itch and building a new gwent deck is awesome...sorry I was side tracked.

If you want a satisfying end to Geralt's story then it is an engaging trip through Toussant. Like many games, once I finished the main story I put the game down to "digest" the experience and then usually don't pick it up again. I will definitely look forward to another replay. Have to restore the proper Yen time line.

• Options
    So I noticed my play time is 111 hours so far, and as I said before, I'm barely into Skellige.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ah ok. I don't think I'll do everthing. I kind of just want to beat the story and finally uninstall the game. it would free up 50 gigs or so haha.

blood and wine is a completely new area with new sidequests

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I heard this is where we talk about The Witcher on our forums now, since the G&T thread never got re-created after it's 100-post close.

I got a 4K OLED TV recently so I got sucked back in to doing another play through of Wild Hunt with all the new fancy HDR and 4K goodness on the One X. This game. I'm not entirely sure I have enough superlatives to describe it. I basically don't replay games. There is a very short list of games/game series I've done multiple complete runs of: Wild Hunt is on that list. It sits shoulder to shoulder with things like the Dark Souls series, Legend of Zelda, Mass Effect and Halo in my personal pantheon of games that will be part of my gaming life forever.

I'm currently about 20 hours in to a fast attack/light armor/toxicity build using all those sweet sweet decotions I skipped over in my last fast attack/medium armor/sign based run. I just cracked Skelliga and am moving the main plot points along and trying to get up to level 30 so I can do the expansion content.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Just started Witcher 3 a week ago. Really loved 2, and I'm hooked on this one.

Very nice looking game. Geralt especially looks fantastic. He almost looks too good; it's jarring looking at almost anyone else. He's got scars and wrinkles and pores an almost no one else comes close to that detail.

Also, Geralt is the best. Never really loses his not-this-shit-again face, but still has room for a good dad joke here and there.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve