As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Are you american? Odds are you probably do. Everything is loaded with salt.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    My Fitness Pal leads me to believe that I eat too much sodium.

do you have high blood pressure?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Unless you eat a whole ton of junk food I wouldn't worry about it. If you do, sodium probably isn't your main problem anyway

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    My Fitness Pal leads me to believe that I eat too much sodium.

do you have high blood pressure?
    Nah.
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Are you american? Odds are you probably do. Everything is loaded with salt.
    I eat out quite a bit, so yeah, this.

I don't really eat junk, I think it's just unavoidable with how I get my food.

• Options
    A lot of people aren't as sensitive to sodium as others, so there's a good possibility it does nothing to you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I apparently have a high sodium intake as well, and I don't really eat any junk food. Salt can be pretty hard to avoid if you're not making everything from scratch at home, but aim for low-sodium and low-salt stuff if it bothers you. I prefer to buy low/no salt stuff anyway, since I can then choose if something even needs the salt or not.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Sodium intake is like the only vice I still have food wise, but even when I was capping 300lbs with a similar cholesterol and an A1C that looked an awful lot like diabetes my blood pressure was right the Fuck on point.

• Options
    This is the best pull up guide I've ever seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-v1BjhzJE

• Options
    that is incredibly helpful actually

• Options
    Within like two minutes there was a useful tip I've never seen before

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I've always capped out once my arms reach a 90 degree angle, when attempting a pull-up. Super frustrating that I can get to the halfway point of a pull-up, but no farther, hah.

Those are interesting techniques in that video though! My last gym had an assisted pull-up machine and I loved it, since it gave me the sense that I was doing one, but I was only doing sets of reps that were about ~50lbs each. Woefully short of the needed 130-140lbs. :|

[edit] though that wasn't my one-rep max, hmm. I wonder how far off I actually was?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That lady looks like she could snap a buiding in half. I had the same expression as Ellen during that clip.

How do you know how many reps you should do of a certain exercise? Do you just go until you can't go any more?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That lady looks like she could snap a buiding in half. I had the same expression as Ellen during that clip.

How do you know how many reps you should do of a certain exercise? Do you just go until you can't go any more?

It depends on your goals, really. Typical exercises like bicep curls will have different results depending on how heavy a weight you use, and how many reps you do. For gaining maximum strength as quickly as possible, most folks tend to follow a 5 rep program, usually 3 sets of 5 reps, or sometimes 5 sets of 5 reps in the Stronglifts program. there is a book called Starting Strength which is very popular amongst folks looking to get stronger, it goes over the main compound barbell lifts in great detail and has a bunch of other good information in it as well including a lot of accessory movements like dips. There's also a website if your internet in the park is up to it.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Made it to the gym on time

The trainer is very nice, seems knowledgeable, has degrees and stuff, set up a schedule, showed me how to use the machines, which exercises to do help with general fitness and plantar fasciitis.

Three day a week program starts Monday

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Marisa Inda is one of the three strongest women in the world and sometimes the strongest, in powerlifting, in the strictest drug tested federation, in her weight class. She's ridiculously strong.

It depends on the exercise. Pushups, pullups, bodyweight squats, lunges, crunches, etc.? Go nuts, do as many as you can as often as you want.

Once you've introduced external weights like barbells or dumbbells, then you'll need to think about your goals and plan accordingly.

Peen on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Aaaand I've done my back in.

Frankly, shocked it took this long.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    I have managed to exercise 9 of the 13 days we've had so far this year and I'm planning to either take the bike out or do a weight session later today to make it 10 for 13.

After I fix our shower pump first which sprang a leak yesterday and flooded our porch.

I was planning to get back into getting fit this year (now I've finished doing a degree alongside full time work and actually have some free time) but those plans have become even more of a priority since my Mum had a heart attack the week before Christmas (she's ok - she works less than five miles from a hospital and they did an ecg in the ambulance and she didn't even touch A&E - directly into theatre to fit stents). Gotta fight any hereditary factors.

• Options
    I haven't done quite that well, but I checked my journal and I've exercised on 8 days out of the last 15 which I'm fairly happy about. Going to try and keep it up at least 4 days a week.

Biggest achievement so far was this morning. I really couldn't be arsed when I woke up and was so close to saying "Eh, I'll do it later", but recognised I was conning myself, and got up and exercised. Which is kind of huge for me, because I have always been a sucker for short term gratification over long term benefit.

Also I dunno if I'm imagining it but I feel like I'm noticing a stronger core already. Maybe it's way too soon to see any effects though and I'm just dreaming.

• Options
    The exercise machines that aren't treadmills or elliptical machines are really weird to use

I'm basically just going through the motions this week, maybe next too, without any added weights

My legs were rubber after about 5 minutes on the elliptical, but I kept at it for 15 minutes

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    From today, the University gyms are back to their term time schedule and open in the evenings.

So i guess I have no fucking excuse for not (re) joining.

• Options
    Also, the sore shoulder I got from falling down the icy porch steps at my grandparents two months ago is still sore, apparently, at least when I do the shoulder press machine

I'm hoping it's just sort of stiff from not using it much since it is too cold to shoot my bow

• Options
    I figured out a new way to do fake pushups. I put a rolled up exercise mat on the floor and do pushups with my hands either side. So basically I only go down halfway before I'm resting on the mat, so I don't collapse onto my belly like a fish like before. It does probably look like I'm having sex with an exercise mat but as I'm alone in my room I guess that doesn't matter.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Trying to figure out what to eat mid-morning for a noon workout. My new schedule has this happening on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Normally I eat breakfast at home around 5:30 am and then have lunch at the office between 11 and 11:30, generally with an apple somewhere in the middle there.

Now that I'm adding a pretty intense workout at noon, it doesn't seem like a good idea to eat lunch right before, but it also doesn't seem like I should go in on just an apple. Yesterday I ate a little bag of almonds and got my ass kicked. I am not sure there is a causal relationship between those two things.

• Options
    Anything with a little protein and a good amount of carbs.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm going to try some hummus and whole wheat pretzels and see I how I feel with that.

I'm so crippled from Tuesday that I skipped today. It's been years since I've had an entire body full of sore muscles, basically everything but my arms. It's motivating though -- confirmation I'm getting a solid workout!

• Options
    My housemate is encouraging me to go to the gym with her later today. I am considering it, but I have no gym clothes. Also I might die.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My housemate is encouraging me to go to the gym with her later today. I am considering it, but I have no gym clothes. Also I might die.

Do you have a pair of shorts and a t shirt?

• Options
    Made it back for day two

Went last night

15 minute walk on a treadmill, 15 minute jog on an elliptical

• Options
    Welp, I'm off to the gym. It's been nice knowing you all.

• Options
    RIP in piece smof

• Options
    May your toots carry you to Valhalla

• Options
    Okay well I survived. And now I'm having a steak as a treat because I know tomorrow my life will be suffering.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Okay well I survived. And now I'm having a steak as a treat because I know tomorrow my life will be suffering.

Steak is good post workout food.

Protein repairs and builds muscle.

A reasonable amount of carbs will also help by restoring energy levels.

• Options
    And lots of fluids!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I guess because of an insurance thing I can go to a local gym for free? that seems... really good?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm trying a new meal replacement thing because Soylent is banned from Canada.

This one is called Hol Food. 30g protein, ~27% daily vitamin requirements, 500 calories.
    They only shipped it in powder form, and because I don't have a blender at work I bought a mixer bottle thing, which is just a regular bottle with some plastic ball in it to break up any dry clumps.

So far the ball works really well.

I would say Soylent tasted bad but was manageable, this actually tastes pretty good?

Hopefully this can work as my new lunch.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    How would you describe it psykoma?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It honestly tastes almost like nestle chocolate milk powder made with skim milk.

The nutritional info:
    9phn8kj.jpg

Dng0q20.jpg

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Aren't they required to list ALL the ingredients, by law?

I'm not seeing human OR alien listed anywhere!

• Options
    I really hate that quik taste.. hopefully they make another flavor besides chocolate.

This discussion has been closed.