As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bread bowls yay or nay

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Absolutely I love those things
    bowen wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Is a pizza a bread plate?
    It's an open-faced sandwich.

wouldn't a bread bowl also be?
    No, because there's sides to it, forming a delicious container. There might be an argument for deep-dish being closer to a bowl, but then what little difference there is between that style of pizza and a casserole disappears.

sig.gif
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I go to Panera Bread and order a cup of soup with the bread bowl on the side.

You get more soup and it doesn't cost any more.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I eat tortilla bowls but not bread bowls
    I don't really like to eat a whole lot of bread. In my experience bread bowls are pretty hefty.

I guess I'll have a taco salad once in a while.

There are usually other options that don't give you 1000 carbs.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I eat bread bowls but not tortilla bowls
    Bread bowls are the best for soup but I draw the line at getting a bread bowl full of pasta. That's just too far.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't eat either one

No, because there's sides to it, forming a delicious container. There might be an argument for deep-dish being closer to a bowl, but then what little difference there is between that style of pizza and a casserole disappears.

You could argue that a pizza is a breadbowl then because of the crusts creating "sides" ?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

You could argue that a pizza is a breadbowl then because of the crusts creating "sides" ?

no, a bowl requires the sides be more than one third the diameter of the overall base, but not more than two thirds.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Like yeah I'm dieting almost perpetually now, but if my food comes in an edible container... I'm fuckin eating that container

I don't eat either one
    Xaquin wrote: »

no, a bowl requires the sides be more than one third the diameter of the overall base, but not more than two thirds.

Are fishbowls no longer bowls?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Deeper pizzas also need dish support when being made/presented, while bread bowls never do.

sig.gif
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

You ever had a pizza where they use clam chowder instead of red sauce. It is way better than you'd expect. I think there are multiple places in my town that make that.

Sleep on
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    A truly excellent clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl is one of life's greatest pleasures

those aren't for food traditionally

I don't eat either one

Okay what about salad and mixing bowls, like those old pyrex ones with really small bases?

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I don't want to live in a world where I can't order a soup and ingest 13,000 carbs in one sitting.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth

Okay what about salad and mixing bowls, like those old pyrex ones with really small bases?

that's an interesting point

maybe it should be more than one third but not greater than two thirds of the diameter of the midpoint of the height of the dish

I don't eat either one

maybe it should be more than one third but not greater than two thirds of the diameter of the midpoint of the height of the dish

Or maybe pizza is a hybrid breadbowlplate!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    ... tortilla bowl? I'm sorry but how exactly do you make that happen? You mean a deep-fried corn tortilla (as in like taco shells) in the shape of a bowl? What the hell?

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I don't eat either one
    Like, the things taco salads come in.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

They were a mistake, a case of designers valuing form over function.

Because mixing bowls with piddly little small bases on them are fucking shite. Gimme a big solid flat base on the bastard thing so it doesn't wobble around all over the kitchen benchtop while I'm trying to do other cooking shit with my spare hand, thanks. It's a prick of a job cracking eggs into a cake mix whilst mixing with the other hand if the bowl's not steady on the benchtop.

"But Chris, why don't you just crack the eggs into another bowl, then pour that bowl in while you're mixing, much easier!"

Okie dokie, you can come and do my dishes for me when I'm finished baking yeah?

I'm not sure they'd hold soup very well

at least none that I've ever had would

I don't eat either one
    Henroid wrote: »
    ... tortilla bowl? I'm sorry but how exactly do you make that happen? You mean a deep-fried corn tortilla (as in like taco shells) in the shape of a bowl? What the hell?

369f5dd70c6cea4b6061317d7ba164ff.jpg

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Oooh, is that one of those things Lil' Donny eats every year on the 5th of May?

I don't eat either one
    Probably. I find them annoying. Just give me a bowl of chips or a burrito or something.

Oooh, is that one of those things Lil' Donny eats every year on the 5th of May?
    Nah

just poses for a picture

then they haul in the McDonald's.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Bread bowls are the best for soup but I draw the line at getting a bread bowl full of pasta. That's just too far.

That's called a fast track to diabetes via hyper carb loading

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Soup in a bread bowl is gud.

But goddamn that tortilla bullshit. First don't put soup in it, second just get a taco or burrito like a normal person.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Eating clam chowder out of anything else is punishable by eight to ten lashes.

3clipse wrote: »
    New England or Manhattan?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

No one has ever wanted Manhattan clam chowder.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    They are good but I wouldn't want them to replace regular bowls

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

that's ridiculous

Pizza is a sandwich

But goddamn that tortilla bullshit. First don't put soup in it, second just get a taco or burrito like a normal person.
    People are putting soup in tortilla bowls? :surprised:

MrMonroe wrote: »

that's ridiculous

Pizza is a sandwich

Pizza is a subset of melt, which are themselves a type of hot dog.

I don't eat either one
    Qdoba will put their tortilla soup in one if you ask, but they also put either a thick cardboard bowl (for carryout) or a metal pie tin underneath. I know, it doesn't make sense to me either.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

But Manhattan is the good one.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Are we talking about an edible bowl made of bread?

I've never seen one of those at a restaurant.

mcp wrote: »

People are putting soup in tortilla bowls? :surprised:
    Isn't that the impression the OP gives?

jgeis wrote: »

But Manhattan is the good one.
    Uh oh it's time for another poll thread.

I don't eat either one
    Typically they're a small round loaf with the top lopped off and the guts scooped out

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    I have never actually tried anything with a bread bowl

seems like it'd be good with the right bread though

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg