As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    If anyone is planning to go to SGDQ please let me know because I'll be much more motivated to attend. What's the weather like in the midwest during the summer?

How do you feel about tornadoes? Just kidding, that's not usually a problem in Minnesota as far as I know. The summer weather in that region is generally pretty pleasant (South Dakota on the other hand has some of the most miserable summers I have ever experienced, and I grew up in South Texas).
    I spent some years in East Texas, the tail end of Tornado Alley. I don' like tornadoes. :(

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I used to worry about going to those kinds of events by myself, but I went to the inaugural PAX East by myself (my wife and daughter came to Boston with me, but they didn't attend the convention), and I went to Emerald City ComicCon by myself since it was a weekend on a work trip. After that, I have no anxiety anymore.

That all being said, I fully understand how you would feel since you don't know what to expect.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So I had Metroid on when that run was played but IRL stuff distracted me from it. I just now watched it, and godDAMN that was a hell of a run. It was more like a gauntlet.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If I had to choose between the two I'd definitely attend the summer show, if only because this one hit in the middle of like cold and flu season.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    This is the first GDQ I've followed in earnest rather than just discovering "oh it's that speedrun thing again" when it shows up on my newsfeeds a week later.

Pretty enjoyable overall, though I will say there's a limited amount of enjoyment to be gained over just watching vods post-fact. It's a little bit like watching the olympics when you tune in to a random sport and half the fun is figuring out the rules/meta as you go.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    If I had to choose between the two I'd definitely attend the summer show, if only because this one hit in the middle of like cold and flu season.

There will always be Con Crud.

• Options
    There was a Hotfix done last night and it was uploaded to YouTube today. Darkman78 and Spikevegeta did a talk together about what speedrunning is and how to do it. For three hours. I haven't heard it through yet but wanted to share with GDQ lovin' folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTomK_DjcMU

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I watched that and it was a really nice introduction to speedrunning.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I was watching a forumer do some Twitch streaming and when they were done I noticed spikevegeta is playing Celeste. He is quite clearly very good at the game (though he denied it when I said it) and he isn't even trying to speedrun it at the moment. This game is gonna have some legs at GDQ events, it apparently has a lot of tech to break it already. Some runners did a race of it tonight but I missed it.

Edit - Oh wait a sec they just setup another race?

Henroid on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Spikevegeta has been playing the absolute shit outta Celeste and he's a filthy liar if he claims to not want to run it haha

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Spikevegeta has been playing the absolute shit outta Celeste and he's a filthy liar if he claims to not want to run it haha
    I think he was trying to be modest but I was watching some bonus level shit from the game and he's got that shit down. Spikes everywhere.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Thanks for posting that, first time I've been able to see an entire run of Celeste. It's a neat game, and it makes for good watching, but I don't think I actually want to play it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that, first time I've been able to see an entire run of Celeste. It's a neat game, and it makes for good watching, but I don't think I actually want to play it.
    Yeah the time in my life where I can throw my body over and over into the pit for a video game is past. That game gets ridiculous pretty fast.

• Options

The game is popular in hardcore and pleb circles alike because of its novelty difficulty options. You can slow the game down and turn yourself invincible for any challenge that gets a bit too much and stops you from enjoying the rest of the game. Haven't got it myself yet but something like that is music to my ears after so much time spent grinding N++

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I was watching another runner's stream just now and people were talking about what's come out recently that we will likely see at SGDQ 2018. Ideas that came up:
    - Super Mario Odyssey
    - Celeste (be it a race or badass solo run)
    - Metroid: Samus Returns
    - Iconoclasts
    - Sonic Forces

Anything else that lends itself well to speedruns?

Also this reminded me of Samus Returns being a thing so I went to look at where the current WR is at, and it's apparently 1:31. Massive drop from when I first looked up speedruns in its first month.

Edit - Oh yeah Getting Over It? Though that's literally 2 minutes.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I don't think Getting Over It lends itself to speedrunning well. Because when it is played right and fast, it kind of looks ridiculously easy. But being so short, I think they could also throw it in as an inbetweener game for some kind of stretch goal.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    My condolences to the games committee who will have to watch literally hundreds of Odyssey speedruns in order to choose one for SGDQ.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Would love to see any% Snake Pass get in, the movement tech in that game is unlike anything else

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    My condolences to the games committee who will have to watch literally hundreds of Odyssey speedruns in order to choose one for SGDQ.

Race, obv.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    BTW over on the various speed gaming channels we are in week 2 of the LTTP randomizer keysanity tournament if you want to check that out. It's good times, though not all commentators are as good as the ones they brought to GDQ.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I went to a random Twitch stream to watch some LTTP randomizer, and in the chat someone mentioned there's a Super Mario Bros 3 randomizer. They linked the following site, which lists all the current randomizer games, and holy moly.
    https://sites.google.com/site/gamerandomizers/

Shining Force 2, the Mega Man series, Final Fantasy Tactics, and even Freeway for the Atari!? This is HUGE. I've gotta look these up.

Edit - Derp, by the way it's Bigjon's stream I'm tuned in to. He's been really nice, explained a couple things about how randomizer works to me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Most of the LttP rando streamers are really nice. WillardJBradley (the main commentator who was not Paddy) is another good one who runs it pretty frequently. He is practicing for the Z1/2/3 rando marathon I think so there's also some Zelda and Zelda 2 action. gamercal is also a good one, I think, He has some good explainers on Youtube.

There is also a Mario 3 randomizer tournament going on. It's weird.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Do you have a link or whatever to the Mario 3 randomizer tourney?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    http://speedgaming.org/schedule/

That shows you everything the Speedgaming channels are running, which includes the SMB3 randomizer that usually winds up on speedgaming3 at Twitch. There's a round coming up in about ten minutes (circa 5:20 PM EST)!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Spikevegeta and Andy are about to race in Celeste.

You can watch one Twitch channel or the other, OR that Kadgar link will load both at the same time (mute one, recommended).

• Options
    edited February 2018
    RIP Spike's Celeste run. His pro controller battery ran out and the Switch joycon is basically unwieldy. That genuinely blows.

Edit - lmao he went to the store to buy the cable he needs for the pro controller, and purposely left his stream running. This fucking guy. We're timing him right now.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    When the VoD goes up if you're interested in LttP at all, the Tairr/Loogaroo matchup that is finishing now maybe is maybe the trolliest thing.
    Both runners have full cleared Ganon's Tower, but don't have the master sword so they can't hit Ganon. Now searching the rest of the world for it.

Oh, we also know a sword upgrade is on the pedestal.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    there are ways you can beat ganon without the master sword, some randomizers let the hammer damage him, you only really need silver arrows

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I was really hoping for both other swords to be in the castle tower

Hammers work only in swordless mode as a concession to not being allowed to have one

• Options
    When the VoD goes up if you're interested in LttP at all, the Tairr/Loogaroo matchup that is finishing now maybe is maybe the trolliest thing.
    Both runners have full cleared Ganon's Tower, but don't have the master sword so they can't hit Ganon. Now searching the rest of the world for it.

Yeah that was the trolliest thing. I have never seen a go mode for a master sword.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah that was the trolliest thing. I have never seen a go mode for a master sword.

There was one case I think in one of the previous tournaments where go mode master sword was in the validation chest.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Are these keysanity runs, or regular randomizer runs? Just curious.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Keysanity. I like it more than regular rando because keysanity is fucking crazy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    My GDQ shirts shipped! Went for the Bubsy and Pile On ones

• Options

The one today was keysanity, I believe the Master Sword validation chest gamble was in the fall tournament, which was open mode.

• Options
    You guys were right, Bigjon is a pretty swell dude and fun to watch. I was watching his stream of Sonic Spinball last night, he managed to get a new PB on it. And before that (though earlier in the day) he was streaming the Genesis Sonic trilogy & Knuckles, apparently he was featured on the front page of Twitch for it. He was pretty stoked.

I also caught a bit of an Ori race and Covert Muffin was there in the chat for it. I've had a change of heart about that guy. His laugh (and his swearing during GDQ) put me off at first, but he's really knowledgeable and - more importantly - a REALLY GOOD hypeman for speedrunning.

Currently watching PMG run Mega Man 5, she's been at it a lot lately.

• Options
    Oh man a key sanity race came down to 7 seconds between the runners this morning with a full clear gt looking for the big key and both runners made a hera tower play immediately following that clear.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    oh shiiiii

https://clips.twitch.tv/TenderSuaveDaikonCoolStoryBob
    the game just randomly unfroze a couple seconds later

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Covertmuffin is immensely pure, he's like a human puppy with a predilection for speedrunning video games

also FWAHAHAHAHA

Beasteh on
This discussion has been closed.