As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Welcome to Jimmy [Chat]'s Roadhouse!

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    A hamburger served on a hubcap
    I work locked in a confined space for 10 hours at a time with literally 10's of 1000's of pieces of US Currency.

My immune system is equipped with the biological equivalent of vulcan cannons and tomahawk missiles, and I still wash my hands at least 5 times a shift and Clorox wipe my work area 1-2 times a shift.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I would recommend against being around anyone who has this flu/cold going around. It is horrible.

I will go back to being the CDC lackey here but:

If you have respitory symptoms and a fever of 100.3 F go to your doctor now. Do not stop, do not past go. Just go.

The flu is bad, we missed an H3 strain in the vaccine. It has killed people at all ages including non-immuno compromised young folks.

Get tested, get tamiflu if you are are positive. Stay home from work, a new study recently showed that just breathing leaves a large amount of infectious material you don't have to cough or sneeze. If you get tamiflu fast enough you will be sick about 3-5 days instead of a week or more with possible side complications.

A cost of a doctors appointment+tamiflu is going to be less than a later ER visit or losing 2 weeks of work.

100F only just qualifies as a fever (>37.5C)

Yes, and is also part of the ILI diagnoses. This is more if you are an adult.

Funny enough you get lower and fewer fevers as you get older. A 100 F fever in a 65 year old is a fever and needs to be checked. 100 F in a 6 year old though a fever has a lower chance of being serious.

Fun random bit of info on the human immune system.

what, for most definitions 37.5 is not a fever at all

it's the lower limit of the definitions with the lower limits

It is a fever, it is a low grade fever but yes it is a fever.

Per the CDC:
    Has a fever (has a measured temperature of 100.4 °F [38 °C]† or greater, or feels warm to the touch, or gives a history of feeling feverish)

I think folks missed the 100.3, I messed up with the point. But yes it is a fever.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Caesar salad with extra anchovies (your server's pick!)
    look abdhy, this is america

we're double scared of going to the doctor so we need to pump out the dire warnings for 37.5° fevers so when someone's pushing 40° they actually go in

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    An 1800 calorie steak
    I would recommend against being around anyone who has this flu/cold going around. It is horrible.

If you have respitory symptoms and a fever of 100.3 F go to your doctor now. Do not stop, do not past go. Just go.

The flu is bad, we missed an H3 strain in the vaccine. It has killed people at all ages including non-immuno compromised young folks.

Get tested, get tamiflu if you are are positive. Stay home from work, a new study recently showed that just breathing leaves a large amount of infectious material you don't have to cough or sneeze. If you get tamiflu fast enough you will be sick about 3-5 days instead of a week or more with possible side complications.

A cost of a doctors appointment+tamiflu is going to be less than a later ER visit or losing 2 weeks of work.

Funny enough you get lower and fewer fevers as you get older. A 100 F fever in a 65 year old is a fever and needs to be checked. 100 F in a 6 year old though a fever has a lower chance of being serious.

Per the CDC:
    Has a fever (has a measured temperature of 100.4 °F [38 °C]† or greater, or feels warm to the touch, or gives a history of feeling feverish)

I think folks missed the 100.3, I messed up with the point. But yes it is a fever.

38 is a sane definition yeah

anyway

seriously anyone with definitionally the mildest fever possible, should go to the doctor about it?

nah

ftOqU21.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    money is antibacterial, the free market decided

edited January 2018
    An 1800 calorie steak
    Aioua wrote: »

we're double scared of going to the doctor so we need to pump out the dire warnings for 37.5° fevers so when someone's pushing 40° they actually go in

my impression is that you guys kind of are crazy about going to the doctor and not at all scared of it

the idea of going to the doctor with the flu - I mean, a seemingly regular flu that's just begun - also seems to me, from what I have always been told, also pretty nuts?

last time I went to the doctor with the flu it was because I thought it might not be a flu.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Ludious wrote: »

The singles I occasionally see covered in a mix of body glitter and mottled patterns of discoloration beg to differ.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Per the CDC:

anyway

seriously anyone with definitionally the mildest fever possible, should go to the doctor about it?

nah

Abdy, I know you like being argumentative but it was not just a fever.

It is a fever along with respiratory symptoms (coughing, sneezing, sore throat) combined which is when I stated go to the doc right now. The flu season, in North America, is really bad this year. The vaccine missed a strain and the current infection rate is very high. Going and getting diagnosed early saves you discomfort (flu last ~2 weeks untreated) and also helps keep people around you from being exposed as your infectious period is shrunk.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Obligatory rack of ribs

The singles I occasionally see covered in a mix of body glitter and mottled patterns of discoloration beg to differ.

What about the married ones?

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

my impression is that you guys kind of are crazy about going to the doctor and not at all scared of it

the idea of going to the doctor with the flu - I mean, a seemingly regular flu that's just begun - also seems to me, from what I have always been told, also pretty nuts?

last time I went to the doctor with the flu it was because I thought it might not be a flu.

The flu can be deadly and you should definitely go to the doctor if you get the flu as far as I know. A cold? No. The flu? Absolutely.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

those are Ke$ha dollars and worth triple face value.

edited January 2018

I think you are thinking influenza = bad cold.

And this is very very not true.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    An 1800 calorie steak

Per the CDC:

anyway

nah

It is a fever along with respiratory symptoms (coughing, sneezing, sore throat) combined which is when I stated go to the doc right now. The flu season, in North America, is really bad this year. The vaccine missed a strain and the current infection rate is very high. Going and getting diagnosed early saves you discomfort (flu last ~2 weeks untreated) and also helps keep people around you from being exposed as your infectious period is shrunk.

flu treatment?

what?

ftOqU21.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Obligatory rack of ribs

Maybe our robust, freedom-loving American flu can just kick your little Euroflu's ass?

(It's actually probably because our medical system is so fucked that people have untreated health conditions that combine with a bad case of the flu to cause deaths, but what do I know)

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

The flu can be deadly and you should definitely go to the doctor if you get the flu as far as I know. A cold? No. The flu? Absolutely.

There was a kid in the news recently who passed away from ignoring the flu. A kid in peak condition in his early 20s. Its just it costs so much in this country to go to the doctor in both PTO and most likely boss shittiness.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Jim Henson comes to mind on not what to do.

naw not really

I mean we've got the same hypochondriacs as everyone else

I think the big americanism is going to the fucking ER when you have non-life threatening symptoms, but that has more to do with how we are so scared of our medical industry most people don't have their own doctor or know where a clinic is, so when they finally get to the point they decide they need help they panic

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze

Per the CDC:

anyway

nah

flu treatment?

what?

Tamiflu, antiviral medication that isn't like say antibiotics but reduces the infection time to 3-5 days if given with in the first 24-48 hours of symptoms appearing. The main influenza going around the US is susceptible and has shown no resistance.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Thank you Mazzy I have followed all of those all week. I dont have any leave left so I came in today but I am much better after doing all that was stated and slept and drank fluids etc. I will hide out in my office today but I feel mostly human. Luckily my fever never went that high.

It wasn't specifically targeted at you, this was me doing the general public health announcement.

We have had three confirmed cases of flu in my office. And one has led to a confirmed case of pneumonia. Along with two other folks who were sick with non-influenza infections. I am full blown medical nerd mode at the moment.

I work in a co working space, there's no way to control my exposure... I'm gunna die... right?

Basics for prevention:

1)Make coworkers stay home, I recommend a crowbar.
    2)Wash your hands regularly with soap and water. Not like ever 10 minutes or so but like a few times a day especially before eating.
    3)Clean you work area. Clorox wipes are cheap and your dirty area needs it anyway.

Those are the easy things.

Cred, I legit thought about just going Japanese and wearing a mask. But I hate wearing a medical mask even when I worked in medical stuff. Really the biggest threat with metro is the thing is a germ farm. Wash your hands before eating and such after metroing.

And here I am, having ridden the metro and then eaten cookies with my hands without washing them

Because any anxiety for me tends to center around hypochondria or turn into it, it's not very good for me to think about the flu :/

The facemask look can be pretty cool if styled in a certain way and if using a cloth-looking facemask and not like a disposable/super-medical-looking one

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_ook8n50uZ01vukkv8o1_400.jpg

An 1800 calorie steak

no I am absolutely not

I know influenza, I've gotten it a couple times and it sucks but there isn't much to be done but to take it, go to the doctor if it lasts unreasonably long, goes and comes back, or if some symptoms get worryingly bad.

like what you're saying is running counter to everything I've ever been told about the flu.

ftOqU21.png
    a facemask really fits in with cred's cyperpunk aesthetic

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I have realized that you can be a slacker at work as long as whenever your boss personally gives you a task you nail it or you bend over backwards for the "problem" customers

nothing else matters

Why, hello there new reason for my impostor syndrome to flare up!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    An 1800 calorie steak

only if you draw a cool skull design on it

It'll also help you blend right in on a baccarat or pai gow table.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A 19th century guy says 37 degrees celsius was about the normal temperature and 38 degrees celcius was the upper normal limit, so of course people treat the conversion to fahrenheit as an exact number.

Some healthy people regularly have body temperatures of slightly more than 100 degrees fahrenheit at some point in the day.

pai gow is more cyberpunk the baccarat

Obligatory rack of ribs

What about Uno?

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Crabcakes for some reason
    I'm just going to say that I endorse every post Mazzy has made about the flu, especially this year's strain

It's fucking scary

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Like, I'd almost rate it worse than swine flu

What about Uno?

Sucks, because it is not Skip-Bo.

~ Buckaroo Banzai

no I am absolutely not

I know influenza, I've gotten it a couple times and it sucks but there isn't much to be done but to take it, go to the doctor if it lasts unreasonably long, goes and comes back, or if some symptoms get worryingly bad.

like what you're saying is running counter to everything I've ever been told about the flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/takingcare.htm

Overall, this year has been worse than normal.

And in general going, not to the ER but your GP or a nurse practitioner, if you have more severe symptoms an urgent care can help you a lot.

And yes there are antivirals, tamiflu being the main one.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Heh. "Havent seen you in awhile you must have been having fun."

Me: Wearing mask with baggy eyes. "No. Not really."

What about Uno?

pai gow >ᶜ baccarat >ᶜ uno

I wish there was a chicken flu

so I could call it One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    An 1800 calorie steak

no

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    A 3rd grader here in Montgomery died earlier this week from the flu.
    An U of Alabama professor also died.
    We're up to somewhere between 30-35 dead so far from the flu. One last week was a 20-something personal trainer

Bless your heart.
    Obligatory rack of ribs

What about Uno?

pai gow >ᶜ baccarat >ᶜ uno

I happen to think it's the reverse of that order, but let's skip this discussion.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    An 1800 calorie steak

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avian_influenza

I am not being alarmist, I am literally following the weekly flu report recommendations for this year. Its bad. It was a bad strain that was missed with a higher than normal kill rate and a very high infection rate. And most people just ignore or don't really think influenza is a big deal but this year it is.

Simple steps and making sure you know what to do if you do get symptoms is important.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.