As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[POTBS] Pirates of the Burning Sea

• TequilaDysonTequilaDyson Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is it possible to be a member of a nation's military? Pirates and merchant marine hold little appeal for me.

TequilaDyson on
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You can be a Naval Officer.

Or you can be a pirate which is a thousand times cooler. Fuck the economy, steal some ships!

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so i figured i may as well finally create my beta account today (so I just did!) do we have a server or a clan or whatever?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited December 2007
    Rackham, Pirate, GO!

Daric on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I've done the tutorial and I'm in the first town as a pirate on Rackham. This is pretty sweet so far. The ship combat reminds me of Pirates!, and that's a good thing. My character's name is Abraham Logan.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    made a pirate named Jorn Vale on Rackham!

finished off the 2 tutorials.. game seems sort of meh so far but we'll see how it goes.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I'm only level 3, I had to go to the mall. And I'm watching Bourne Ultimatum later so I probably won't get much further tonight.

Daric on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Logging on now, if anyone wants in send a pm or mail to "Kevin Billard"

PeasantDave on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Really hoping I get a beta invite, this sounds awesome. :)

Oboro on
    words
    edited December 2007
    Pfft, Pirates. Nothing but rabble afraid of a stand up fight!

If you can be a pirate hunter that'd be ultra cool and I'll scoop this thing up when it comes out. The thrill of working to become a post-captain! Schmoozing with the admiralty to get the choice assignments! Or a privateer. Yar ya bastages, I bought a letter of Marque, take that!

TequilaDyson on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    you can be a naval officer or privateer. they operate pretty much the same way as a pirate though. major differences are basically that privateers get skills to disable and board ships, and officers get skills aimed at sinking ships I think. pirates are a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none, with the ability to capture enemy ships to use themselves.

DiscoZombie on
  • HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok, created a pirate on rackham named Thaddeus Jagger. Still running through the tuts/beginning area.

Harakhti on
    edited December 2007
    Bah, naval officers should have abilities focused on inspiring the men and keeping them orderly.

'For the prize!'

I mainly just want to be an English captain so I can yell at someone over ventrilo, 'DAMN YOUR EYES FOR IMPERTINENCE, SIR!'

TequilaDyson on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    So how close is this to going gold? Sounds like the beta is already a pretty fun and functional game. They should maybe go gold already so they can make a bit of money out of it before everybody gets bored and go plays something else.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bah, naval officers should have abilities focused on inspiring the men and keeping them orderly.

'For the prize!'

I mainly just want to be an English captain so I can yell at someone over ventrilo, 'DAMN YOUR EYES FOR IMPERTINENCE, SIR!'

Actually Naval Officers are specialized in group buffs. So they very much have abilities that you're looking for, though more at a fleet level. Everyone has buffs for their specific men, although pirates use flogging for inspiration.
    So how close is this to going gold? Sounds like the beta is already a pretty fun and functional game. They should maybe go gold already so they can make a bit of money out of it before everybody gets bored and go plays something else.

This is probably the last week of beta, they said end of december, likely before Christmas. It then opens back up the first week of January for preorders for 14 days, then live.

Cabezone on
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Actually Naval Officers are specialized in group buffs. So they very much have abilities that you're looking for, though more at a fleet level. Everyone has buffs for their specific men, although pirates use flogging for inspiration.

Wait, only pirates can flog their men? Not naval officers? How ahistorical can you get?

dojango on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just received an email that may interest those not in beta yet:

Thanks for your interest in Flying Lab Software's Beta program for Pirates of the Burning Sea! We had tons of fantastic applicants. We're currently in Open Beta and we thought you might be interested to know you can get a copy of the beta and a key that will let you install and play from any of the following:

North America:
    http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/potbs/

France:
    http://www.jeuxonline.info/

Germany:
    http://www.onlinewelten.com/

Spain:
    http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_noticia.php?id=cw4758feb612d7c&pic=PC&idj=4831&idp

For more international download sources, please visit this page:
    http://piratesoftheburningsea.station.sony.com/openbeta/index.vm

Please note the minimum machine specs required to run the game:
    http://support.flyinglab.com/cgi-bin/flyinglab.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2

Minimum Machine Spec:

Windows® XP
    Pentium® IV 1.5 GHz or greater
    512 MB RAM
    DirectX 9 Compatible video card: NVidia® GeForce&tm; FX 5700, ATI® Radeon® 9600, or equivalent with 128 MB of texture memory
    DirectSound compatible audio hardware
    Broadband Internet connection
    16x DVD-ROM
    4 GB Hard Drive space

If your machine doesn't match the above requirements, you should consider upgrading before going through a length download and installation process.

Thanks again for your interest! We hope you enjoy the preview of our game!
    — Flying Lab Software

Lly on
    edited December 2007
    I still don't know why I never got invited to the closed beta. I applied in like 2003.

DiscoZombie on
    edited December 2007
    Man pirates own so hard. I get so much loot. Of course, this is at the low levels, I understand that once I get to level 50 it may not be so fair because I won't be able to get a SOL unless I'm really, really lucky. And even then, it's only going to have 1 durability.

Daric on
  • volluspavolluspa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    god damn fileplanet is being a bitch. i wanna get in on this:x

volluspa on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Downloading now. Soon you shall feel the might of Gruzzlebeard the pirate!

BlueDestiny on
    edited December 2007
    I was really, really tempted to name my pirate Bolt Vanderhuge or Gristle McThornbody.

I've been working on getting resources together to build structures so we can start funneling materials into the society. Fuel our diabolical war machine. mwahaha! Or to fuel our diabolical peace lovin' machine.. either or.

Harakhti on
    edited December 2007
    Harakhti wrote: »
    I was really, really tempted to name my pirate Bolt Vanderhuge or Gristle McThornbody.

I've been working on getting resources together to build structures so we can start funneling materials into the society. Fuel our diabolical war machine. mwahaha! Or to fuel our diabolical peace lovin' machine.. either or.

WOR YAY.

Also, do you know if pirates can steal player ships? I can't recall the specifics behind shipjacking.

BlueDestiny on
    edited December 2007
    war machine

it's so much cooler to be a pirate
    a port goes into contention?
    PIRATE PVP BABY!
    sailing in, attacking everyone we see

no other nation can do that

Daric on
    edited December 2007
    All signs point to yes. If the durability of the opponent players ship is at 1. Otherwise you just get loot and the losing player gets sent back to dock with -1 durability.

Could be wrong though. I'll look into it.

I also need to look into the supernatural stuff and the church crap. The Inquisition and Templar Knights (!?) loathe my ass.

Harakhti on
  • pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Daric wrote: »
    war machine

it's so much cooler to be a pirate
    a port goes into contention?
    PIRATE PVP BABY!
    sailing in, attacking everyone we see

no other nation can do that

Privateers get a tier 5 skill that grants ad-hoc piracy for pirate pvp, so watch your back :)

pantsy on
    edited December 2007
    finally started downloading this. im game whenever its done :)

volluspa on
    edited December 2007
    im in as Leon Aldama priate in rackham :)

volluspa on
  • brinkmwjbrinkmwj Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

The official launch is Jan 22. If you buy the pre-order you can start 2 weeks early ... so it is pretty much ready to go the week after Christmas. :)

brinkmwj on
  • brinkmwjbrinkmwj Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm a bit worried that all the PA folks are going Pirate. Of course, that doesn't really stop you from playing the economy, but the Pirate economy works very differently from the other factions because of ship capture and what not.

If you have not tried playing the economy, I HIGHLY recommend it. This is the ONLY satisfying and rich crafting system that I have seen in an MMO (though keep in mind that I've really only played WoW, TR, and Puzzle Pirates in any depth ... so I may not know what I'm talking about).

What I like about it:
    1) Labor is worth something. Each player can only have 10 structures, and each structure builds up labor in real time. For most of the things I'm making the value of the labor is worth at least as much as the input materials.
    2) You cannot build things without interacting with the market. It appears that most finished products require at least 15 to 20 different types of structures to build...so you can't possibly do it yourself.
    3) There are at least 4ish levels of building. Raw materials (ie wood) -> Simple products (ie planks) -> Complex products (ie, a ship hull) -> Finished products (ie, a ship). The depth of this means that people who like crafting are useful, because many players get confused about (or bored with) all of these steps.
    4) Ships that are not built by players are junk. So the carebears are very useful to other players: You can't get good ships without crafting.
    5) You still get to (have to?) sail around and fight. Because of the way the PvP system works, there are some exciting times when you are forced to sail through PvP zones to run supplies. It should hopefully discourage botting, while helping traders stay interested.

Anyway, just my two cents. This is by far the most fun MMO I've tried this year. :)

brinkmwj on
    edited December 2007
    Although it's true that the pirates have the weakest economy, several of us have finally started building structures. I am hoping to start creating ammunition for everyone by the end of this week. brinkmwj is completely right about how involved the economy is, and if it interests you then make sure to try it out.

PeasantDave on
    edited December 2007
    I got the recipes to make fine wines and fine cheeses so I'm going to attempt to do that. Those will sell for tonssss of money on the AH.

Daric on
    edited December 2007
    i dont know how i feel about the game. i kinda wanna explore the national side of it before making a judgement call

volluspa on
    edited December 2007
    only EVE has a crafting system anywhere near as rich. too bad I don't care about crafting =p if I wanted to sit around crunching numbers and calculating profit I'd put my darn RL money in the stock market instead.

anyone know the real differences between the classes? I probably even asked this before =d but I'm not sure I ever got an answer. privateers, NO's, freetraders, and pirates can all kill each other, they can all run missions, and they can all craft. the skills don't seem *that* different for each, either. what are the more fundimental differences between the different classes?

here's what I know: pirates get first shot at pvp when a port goes into contention. they can also steal enemy ships under the right conditions, though these ships only have 1 durability. their skills seem sorta jack-of-all-trades oriented.

naval officers - no clue. more geared toward sinking ships rather than boarding? tend to have bigger ships with the most guns?

privateers - more geared toward disabling and boarding? any real fundamental differences between privateer and NO?

freetrader - obviously less geared toward combat. better skills for escaping. ships hold a lot of cargo. can they make stuff other classes can't? or can they make stuff better than other classes?

DiscoZombie on
    edited December 2007
    Pirates - yeah, they're kind of a jack of all trades, they can steal ships and can also scavenge ship deeds if they're lucky, pirates also have to pay a ton of taxes on goods made in other ports, though they do have a skill which lowers it by 60%, first to PvP

Naval Officers - get the big Ships of the Line that have multiple decks and way too many cannons, not very mobile, they focus on sinking ships rather than boarding them

Privateers - basically, these guys are the pirates of the nationals, they have a lot of the same skills and the ships they get are small and fast, they focus on getting in quick, demasting you, and boarding

Freetraders - they can see every auction house rather than just the ones in a region, they can also make advanced structures and advanced goods which are obviously better than anything anyone else can make, they have the Galleons with a shitton of cargo space for hauling stuff all over the map

Daric on
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just made a pirate named "Oliver La Buse" on rackham, if you see me on by all means say hello and/or invite me to the society.

Trevor Goodchild on
    edited December 2007
    Dammit, every time I download it from FP it gets corrupted somehow. Even getting the separate parts doesn't work. Does anyone have a torrent link?

BlueDestiny on
    edited December 2007
    You might need to switch the directory it's looking in, BlueDestiny. Is it asking for disk0?

PeasantDave on
  • TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dammit, every time I download it from FP it gets corrupted somehow. Even getting the separate parts doesn't work. Does anyone have a torrent link?

I had the same issue if I ran the ZIp as if it were self-extracting.

I just used RAR to unzip it and the install ran fine after that.

TalonZahn on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, what, how is this game?

tyrannus on