As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Mongrel, which of us deals more damage to the demon?

I was thinking one of us hits the demon, the other stands next to Amon and uses their action to Help him so he gains advantage on his next Ability roll, while also covering him with Fighting Style Protection.
    You undoubtedly do more damage than I do, since you've got a magic weapon.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Dural lets out a satisfied sigh as he takes the mug, now empty, away from his mouth, tossing it to nonchalantly to the side. Wiping a hand through his bear, he then lets out a well-formed belch as his hand makes its way to the shaft of the hammer at his feet, picking it up, flipping it over and around and ready for battle. "Finder gave ye an option to return to the Hells. Now, we do it this way," he says before breaking from his position and circling around amorphous beast. Sliding to a stop in front of the throne and next to Ay, Dural strikes out with a well-timed distraction provided by Philo into the back of the fiend, putting his weight into Fimbul and hoping to topple the creature backwards and out of the reach of the climbing monk.

minion, roll 2d20k1+5 for Attack (Yochlol)
    minion, roll 1d8+3 for Damage (Yochlol)
    minion, roll 1d20+4 for Strength (Athletics)

No Action: Toss the mug to the side.
    Free Action: Pickup Hammer.
    Move: H12.
    Action: Attack the Yochlol.
    Bonus Action: Shove the Yochlol. Opposed by Athletics/Acrobatics. If successful, shove the Yochlol to I10.
    Reaction - Fighting Style (Protection): Disadvantage on attack rolls against allies within 5 ft of me.

Attack (Yochlol):
    2d20k1+5 17 [2d20k1=[12], 7]
    Damage (Yochlol):
    1d8+3 6 [1d8=3]
    Strength (Athletics):
    1d20+4 17 [1d20=13]

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    That is a good Athletics roll!

A demon probably has a good counter roll, but if he fails that, Amon's out of the reach of the Yochlol.

Can Philo spend his turn to give Amon advantage through the Help Action?

Edit: Oh, he's hanging on, not dropped back down. Well he doesn't need a roll then.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    On his attack rolls or on a roll to climb up the wall? I don't think I can help with his attack from down here, and I'm not sure he needs a roll to climb up. But if he does, I can definitely get there and help him up.

• Options
    I thought he had to make another attempt to get up the wall, not that he was just hanging onto the edge.

He's probably fine. I guess you uh...hit the demon wherever he ends up and stand next to me so we cover each other?

Characters
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Am0n is fine. I ruled over PMs that I'm treating his getting up there as if he's getting up from prone.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Unless Philo wants to attempt to re-enact the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6SNJmuUNco

Characters
  • Options
    My other thought was to try and throw a handaxe at Zarr, so I could use Distracting Strike and give Ay advantage on his next attack. But since I'm inside the Yochlol's threatened area, I'll have disadvantage on the throw, so it might not be worth it after all.

Other option would be to hit the Yochlol and use Maneuvering Attack to get Ay up the wall so he's got full freedom of movement on his turn.

Or just dodge, as evilthecat suggested. Gonna wait and see if Dural knocked the critter down first.

• Options
    Don't you only gain disadvantage on ranged attacks if you're within 5 ft of an enemy?

I don't think it says anything about the creature's reach, for creatures with reach greater than 5 ft.

Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Oh, cool. If that's the case, what do you guys think of hucking an axe and moving to cover Dural's flank? It's bit of a longshot to hit (+4 vs. 16 AC), but if it connects it gets us closer to killing her and help Ay do his thing.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    OOC: I agree with evil. If Zarr can heal herself 27 HP a round, focus firing may be a necessity. If that thing hits us, we are probably dead. We don't know for sure that killing Zarr will make it disappear, but she did summon it, so maybe.

As for me, don't worry about my movement. Standing from prone is half movement, which means I can still move 25 feet even after that.

• Options
    Stepping away from the demon, Philo flips his sword into his shield hand and draws a handaxe from his belt. "Hey Zarr!" he barks. "Catch!" He hurls the axe end over end up at the drow, then steps back adjacent to Dural, ready to cover him as the demon wheels about.

My handaxe isn't actually penalized like I thought: since it's also a melee weapon, I can use strength on the attack roll. Neat!
    Move to J13, which should put me just within short range of Zarr. Throw a handaxe up at her, then step back to I13, next to Dural. If I hit, use Distracting Strike.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Let me AXE you a question!
    Geth, roll 1d6+3 Oops I AXEidentally hurt you!
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Pay attention to my punning!

Let me AXE you a question!:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    Oops I AXEidentally hurt you!:
    1d6+3 6 [1d6=3]
    Pay attention to my punning!:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Stats:
    Barran (C9) - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/1, HD: 2/4, H.Pots: 2, Hidden(?)
    Lady Zarr (H14+20') - AC:16, HP:41/71, Spells:-/4/3/3/2/2, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells
    Yochlol (H11) - AC:15, HP:125, Resist: B/P/S, Cold, Fire & Lightning except magic, Immune Poison, Magic Resistance, Spider Climb, Web Walker
    Dural (H12) - AC:18, HP: 40+5/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:5/20, HD: 0/4, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Philo (I13) - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 1/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 1/4, Cold Resistance, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Salazar (D4) - AC:16, HP: 30+5/30, Spells:-/4/2, SP: 2, HD:0/4, BARKSKINNED, H.Pots: 2, Scrolls: Acid Arrow
    A3 (G13+15') - AC:16, HP: 29+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4, H.Pots: 2
    Drow 1 (C10) - DEAD
    Drow 2 (M11+15') - AC:15, HP:13, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells, Half-Cover
    Ra'Fiki (A13+30') - AC:13, HP:7, Resist: B/P/S,Cold except Silver & Magic, Immune to Fire & Poison

Assuming I didn't foul any of that up, @evilthecat is up, and the next attack roll against Zarr has advantage.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    While focused on trying to her the human to do its bidding the demon is unprepared for the Dwarf to slip behind him, hit him with a surprisingly painful weapon and then shove it away, off balance.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Yochlol's Athletics check

Yochlol's Athletics check:
    1d20+2 11 [1d20=9]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    wait, does this mean ... I have advantage?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    wait, does this mean ... I have advantage?
    On your first attack roll against Zarr, yeah.

• Options
    Stats:
    Lady Zarr (H14+20') - AC:16, HP:41/71, Spells:-/4/3/3/2/2, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells
    Yochlol (I10) - AC:15, HP:119/136, Resist: B/P/S, Cold, Fire & Lightning except magic, Immune Poison, Magic Resistance, Spider Climb, Web Walker
    Dural (H12) - AC:18, HP: 40+5/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:5/20, HD: 0/4, INSPIRATION, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Philo (I13) - AC:19, HP:38+5/38, 1/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 1/4, Cold Resistance, H.Pots: 1&1G
    Salazar (D4) - AC:16, HP: 30+5/30, Spells:-/4/2, SP: 2, HD:0/4, BARKSKINNED, H.Pots: 2, Scrolls: Acid Arrow
    Drow 1 (C10) - DEAD
    Ra'Fiki (A13+30') - AC:13, HP:7, Resist: B/P/S,Cold except Silver & Magic, Immune to Fire & Poison

Assuming I didn't foul any of that up, @evilthecat is up, and the next attack roll against Zarr has advantage.

@Mongrel Idiot You missed the 6 damage to the Yochlol from Dural. Fixed above. But there was a bit of a problem with your movement...

J13 contains a 10' tall statue that occupies that space. Also, moving to J13 opens Philo up to an Attack of Opportunity from the demon. Are you sure you want to do that?

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Stats:
    Yochlol (I10) - AC:15, HP:119/136, Resist: B/P/S, Cold, Fire & Lightning except magic, Immune Poison, Magic Resistance, Spider Climb, Web Walker
    Drow 1 (C10) - DEAD

@Mongrel Idiot You missed the 6 damage to the Yochlol from Dural. Fixed above. But there was a bit of a problem with your movement...

J13 contains a 10' tall statue that occupies that space. Also, moving to J13 opens Philo up to an Attack of Opportunity from the demon. Are you sure you want to do that?
    Oh, right; I didn't factor in that Dural moved the demon. I have to get to that column 13 to get in range of Zarr, so I'll make the move. Can I move to H13 instead, hopping up on the throne (or standing next to it) to throw the axe? That would also put me close enough to Dural that he could impose disadvantage on the AOO.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Despite being off balance, the demon still manages to keep its wits about it enough to take a swipe at Philo as he rushes past to throw the axe at Zarr. Philo is completely unware of the doom that is lashing out behind him. His axe flies true! And as Philo turns to take up a new position, he sees the Yochlol's tendril driving straight for his eyes. This is it, he thinks, this is it.

At the last moment, a flash of metal as Dural interposes himself and his trusty shield Fimbul, turning aside that tendril at the very last moment!

Geth, roll 2#1d20l1+6 for Yochlol's OA vs. Philo with Disadvantage
    Geth, roll 1d6+2 Pseudopod Damage
    Geth, roll 6d6 Poison Damage

Yochlol's OA vs. Philo with Disadvantage:
    2#1d20l1+6 2 # 11 [1d20l1=[5]] 26 [1d20l1=[20]]
    Pseudopod Damage:
    1d6+2 6 [1d6=4]
    Poison Damage:
    6d6 25 [6d6=4, 5, 4, 4, 6, 2]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    You lucky motherfucker! :) Philo owes Dural free ale for the rest of his life.

• Options
    I think Philo's gonna go to church twice this week.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Dat Disadvantage...

Also, let's remember Ay is hanging from the ledge next to Zarr, so large area effect explosions wouldn't be great right about now...

am0n on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    RP:

Salazar looks around the room to his allies.
    The monk clings feebly to a ledge, much as a toddler would do from a coffee table.
    The meatheads swing at a creature many times their superior, oblivious to the horrible death that lurks behind the next misstep.
    The halfling ... wait, "where'd the midget go?"

It was up to Salazar, woer of barmaids, incinerator of imbeciles and chosen one to sort it all out.
    He channels what remains of his mojo into the next few spells, confident that they'll do the job.
    Hoping they'll do the job.
    For as much as Salazar likes to talk smack, he knows power when he sees it.
    Zarr may be injured, true, but she still has access to a wide array of spells.
    If she endures the initial onslaught ...

Salazars spells strike true and hard, but Zarr still stands.
    Either one of his compatriots finishes her off, or her next healing spell will end this fight..

actions (gonna do the damage rolls separately, this is gonna be messy):

spending last 2 sorc points to quicken a scorching ray.
    using scroll of acid arrow.
    casting scorching ray.
    moving to b5/b6 so that the last drow can't plug me.

minion, roll 2#1d20+6 for acid arrow hit
    minion, roll 3#1d20+6 for scorching ray hits

acid arrow hit:
    2#1d20+6 2 # 18 [1d20=12] 22 [1d20=16]
    scorching ray hits:
    3#1d20+6 3 # 17 [1d20=11] 18 [1d20=12] 17 [1d20=11]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    Geth....bubbie... I thought we were cool, man? I thought we were cool?

• Options
    minion, roll 6d6 for fire damage
    minion, roll 4d4 for acid damage
    minion, roll 2d4 for acid dot that ticks end of zarr's next turn

fire damage:
    6d6 21 [6d6=1, 2, 6, 6, 2, 4]
    acid damage:
    4d4 15 [4d4=4, 3, 4, 4]
    acid dot that ticks end of zarr's next turn:
    2d4 4 [2d4=1, 3]

• Options
    edited January 2018
    heh.

Lady Zarr (H14+20') - AC:16, HP:5/71, Spells:-/4/3/3/2/2, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells DOT WILL TICK FOR 4
    Yochlol (H11) - AC:15, HP:125, Resist: B/P/S, Cold, Fire & Lightning except magic, Immune Poison, Magic Resistance, Spider Climb, Web Walker
    Drow 1 (C10) - DEAD

evilthecat on
  • Options
    Barran, no pressure buddy, but we need 5 damage from you!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I mean, Ay (or A3 now) can headbutt her off the platform while he's up there.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    OH.
    WELL THEN! :D

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "Woer of barmaids"?
    Sounds painful! :redface:

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Misspelt that I think ..
    oh.
    yes.
    wooer.

• Options
    Bursar wrote: »

She's right up against a ledge, this is about as close to THIS IS SPARTA! as we're going to get.

Characters
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »

I've morphed this combat from Ay to At to A3. Before you know it, I'll be steak sauce.

Move: Pull myself up and stand next to Lady Zarr
    Action: Draw Staff and Attack

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+3

Attack:
    1d20+5 11 [1d20=6]
    1d8+3 11 [1d8=8]

• Options
    Well, solid damage. Sadly, didn't hit. It's cool, though. That's what I have Ki for. Let's see if I can fail twice more...

Bonus: Spend Ki for Flurry of Blows

Geth, roll 1d4+3
    Geth, roll 1d4+3

Attack:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]
    1d4+3 4 [1d4=1]
    Attack:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]
    1d4+3 7 [1d4=4]

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Ay can once against feel the heat and senses the light affecting the ledge above him. Hearing the drow scream, Ay pulls himself up once he's built enough momentum to standing next to Lady Zarr. Hearing her screams as the flames and acid burns, Ay can feel no remorse. "For. The. Children!" he yells as he grabs her by the back of the neck and heaves her off the ledge. For a split second it almost appears she is going to levitate before her magic fails her. The thud is followed by the cracking sounds of bones. "For the children," Ay whispers to himself.

Took some creative license, although I could technically make her roll some DC13 Str saves to literally punch her off the ledge as part of my flurry. Let me know if she somehow doesn't die and I'll redo it.

Lady Zarr (H14+20') - AC:16, HP: DEAD, Spells:-/4/3/3/2/2, Fey Ancestry, Innate Spells DOT WILL TICK FOR 4
    Ay (G14+20') - AC:16, HP: 29+5/31, Ki: 2/4, HD: 2/4, H.Pots: 2
    Drow 1 (C10) - DEAD

am0n on
  • Options
  • Options
    I never liked any of you. Have I mentioned that?

• Options
    Hey now, you (zarr) started that fight.. ;)

• Options
    Characters
  • Options
    I will admit, I think that is the first time in my history of gaming that a group focus fired a healer.