As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] [new Ahri skin to fund the year] / [cervitaur dating sim activated]

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    They're reworking Swain? As heavily as they did Warwick?

Yes. He has a soul collection mechanic that's supposedly different from anything else in the game, though that seems like an odd promise.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Hmm, 0-4. I think I have to acknowledge that I'm seriously out of practice. Hopefully I land somewhere in Bronze so I can play my way back up to skill. in the other queue.

If anyone doing non-ranked want someone to play with, I'm leveling up an account on NA called MrGrimoire and will happily play with people. I suck, but can promise losing with good humor.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Apparently my lucky charm right now is to get a team where someone's playing Pug'Maw. The little adorable bastard ends up vomiting his way to glory.

EDIT: Ended up placing Silver III, which... okay, yeah, that's fair. But holy crap, that last game... I don't think I've ever seen team fights become massive clusterfucks of spell effects before.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    4-2 on the Taric journey so far. Those two loses felt unwinnable.

Kept my Draven alive through an insane amount of shenanigans at the end of the last game. But man does playing against Blitz force you to change how you play the entire game.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited January 2018
    Arrrrrrrrrrgh. To carry any harder I think would require Riot to un-nerf the character. Gotta love basically picking up a early triple-kill as support?

Power Chords too stronk.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    99gta0w1dhb3.jpg

Make me a better Poppy, Please!!!!

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Oh god, I just played against a LeBlanc for the first time in forever

>.<

LeBlanc does A LOT of damage

Two games of first picking Lux mid and then playing against Zoe and LeBlanc in turn...we won the Zoe game (no thanks to me) but holy crap the LeBlanc got enormous and my team had no tanks, so...yeah....

Then the game threw me a bone and 1. I let my autofilled support play his mid main kat while I supported and 2. the enemy Malz went afk
    This is important, because our 4/0 Riven decided the game was lost, and was spamming surrender (??? she was crushing! Kat was also like 3/0 at the time) and my adc decided I was the worst support player on earth as I took a bad engage and we died, once, and then never again. Muted her but...yeah, the only reason we won was the enemy team afk, even though we were ahead the whole game and had a great teamfight comp with Sej and Leona.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    There's a 50% off sale going on for purchasing champions with BE (not RP) now until Jan 25. Have they ever done BE (IP) sales before? Here's the list:
    • Blitzcrank
    • Ezreal
    • Galio
    • Gangplank
    • Janna
    • Leona
    • Lux
    • Malphite
    • Miss Fortune
    • Morgana
    • Nasus
    • Rammus
    • Riven
    • Sejuani
    • Shyvana
    • Tristana
    • Vayne
    • Veigar
    • Xin Zhao
    • Zed

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    4-3 now. Dream is slowly dying.

I had a deliberate troll Jungler that held our ranked game hostage and deliberately fed the enemy team because our Mid dared to pick Varus, all while insulting everyone on the team the entire time. I would have dodged in team select if I knew, but they didn't display the outright toxic throw-game behavior till in-game.

Oh hey neat. Completely forgot about it, but it looks like the Star Guardian Ahri figures are starting to go out. Just got a shipping notification.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    There's a 50% off sale going on for purchasing champions with BE (not RP) now until Jan 25. Have they ever done BE (IP) sales before? Here's the list:
    • Blitzcrank
    • Ezreal
    • Galio
    • Gangplank
    • Janna
    • Leona
    • Lux
    • Malphite
    • Miss Fortune
    • Morgana
    • Nasus
    • Rammus
    • Riven
    • Sejuani
    • Shyvana
    • Tristana
    • Vayne
    • Veigar
    • Xin Zhao
    • Zed

I don't ever recall an IP sale before. I'll probably buy all the ones on sale that I don't have, just to get a bit further towards collecting them all.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    a
    • Blitzcrank
    • Ezreal
    • Galio
    • Gangplank
    • Janna
    • Leona
    • Lux
    • Malphite
    • Miss Fortune
    • Morgana
    • Nasus
    • Rammus
    • Riven
    • Sejuani
    • Shyvana
    • Tristana
    • Vayne
    • Veigar
    • Xin Zhao
    • Zed

I don't ever recall an IP sale before. I'll probably buy all the ones on sale that I don't have, just to get a bit further towards collecting them all.

This is quite interesting. These all feel like core champions with non-overlapping skillsets--I guess they're giving out a starter pack, almost?
    I am only missing ~10 champs; I think I own all of these ones because they all feel fairly essential...oh, but my smurf account doesn't own any champions, basically, so this would be really useful! Except I only have like 2000 IP on that account, so...maybe not that useful.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    a
    • Blitzcrank
    • Ezreal
    • Galio
    • Gangplank
    • Janna
    • Leona
    • Lux
    • Malphite
    • Miss Fortune
    • Morgana
    • Nasus
    • Rammus
    • Riven
    • Sejuani
    • Shyvana
    • Tristana
    • Vayne
    • Veigar
    • Xin Zhao
    • Zed

This is quite interesting. These all feel like core champions with non-overlapping skillsets--I guess they're giving out a starter pack, almost?
    I am only missing ~10 champs; I think I own all of these ones because they all feel fairly essential...oh, but my smurf account doesn't own any champions, basically, so this would be really useful! Except I only have like 2000 IP on that account, so...maybe not that useful.

Dang you have a lot of champs!

I have maybe half of them? Plus 35k IP or so that I'm sitting on, which is really only 10 champs worth if I buy all 3150 ones.

But I did spend an absolute ton of IP on runes back in the day because there was a big sale and I picked up pretty much every rune I could conceivably need plus a bunch of pages.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • JookieJookie Registered User regular
    I spent loads of IP on runes and then stopped doing that to buy every champion. I eventually figured out how to get 6300 champs for cheaper by just buying everything 4800 and below and then mystery shard lottery the rest. Due to the high amount of reworks it's easy to actually keep up with the new release schedule of like four or more months between new releases. I'm sitting on almost 45k after ranking up a couple of champions to six. I have more I could level up but I'll probably wait on it since most of the ones I have I don't play often and one is Mundo and another is Ashe, both of which come out of capsules more often since it's weighted towards several cheap tokens instead of expensive ones.

In more recent news, I forgot how absurd Kalista is. She's not super fantastic into Vayne (who's crazy popular) since at six she's a lot stronger than you but prior to that you're a lot more powerful. With a bit of a lead her natural advantage shouldn't matter much and you can still just win the 2v2. That's just relying on having a support good enough to help you dominate the lane early and then running over the rest of the game after.

butts
    Huh, you know, I just realized I never actually got to play around with Zoe any.

*heads into the practice tool*

...oh dear, I think I have a problem. I had already enjoyed simple geometry via Vel'koz... and Nidalee way back when... this is that to the extreme. If only Team Builder was still around so I could actually get a game in with her instead of her being constantly banned.

persona4celestia.jpg
    After buying some of the discounted champs I'm up to 54 and already feel like I have infinity number of options to play haha.

I did my first ranked game of S8 on the top lane account, and when the jungler showed up at 3 minutes I somehow managed to not only press the wrong key trying to flash, but my mouse was barely over top my tower so I stood still and started teleporting (which blocked my second attempt at pressing F from working) while he killed me. Real facepalm of an opener.
    We did win the game though, our team had Vayne and a fed Zoe mid.

So, a query for the mids:

How do you balance wanting to farm with wanting to help your team? The last game I was in, felt like there was tons of fires going on in the sides and jungles that I needed to run around and try to help out with, but I wasn't really getting anything out of it other than people not dying.

Also, Yasuo deserves to be dumpstered into Old Eve tier. Forgot how much I hate that character.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

How do you balance wanting to farm with wanting to help your team? The last game I was in, felt like there was tons of fires going on in the sides and jungles that I needed to run around and try to help out with, but I wasn't really getting anything out of it other than people not dying.

Also, Yasuo deserves to be dumpstered into Old Eve tier. Forgot how much I hate that character.

Idea is to be able to shove your lane in so you can then roam. That way you lose nothing by trying to roam out.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    7-3 Taric Placements. Lots of super stressful games where I felt I was herding cats/schoolchildren and some where I was carrying the teamfights.

Silver V. At least it's not Bronze. Gonna be a long grind to Gold.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    The 100 Thieves team house is nucking futs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJrA4k0WelQ

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Post placements game 1: Try so damn hard. Have my Taric and our stack-farmed Nasus get constantly abandoned by the rest of the team in fights and lose the game. Try so damn hard.

Post placements game 2. Our mid Katarina goes 17/0/0. I do literally nothing except ward and provide cheerleading moral support.

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    Hey, anybody doing the LCS fantasy league thing? I think it would be fun but don't have anybody to do it with.

http://fantasy.na.lolesports.com/en-US

edited January 2018
    PMAvers wrote: »

Ideally I force the other mid out of lane (kill or poke down) and shove it in and then walk bot into a lane that has pushed my team under tower (but my guys are not so low that they can't help). Also fine if I just shove it in and leave and my lane is still around.

If that's not the case, some guidelines that I usually follow:

1. don't roam if the wave is at my tower

2. don't roam if I'm in serious catchup mode (down 2 levels due to feeding.)
    2a. do roam if there's nothing I can do in lane cause my lane is scary; maybe I'll get a kill somewhere else

3. do roam if there's some sort of pre-6 invade by the enemy jungler, or jungler conflict in the river, even if my wave's in a bad spot. This is an urgent problem and could easily tilt the game; also necessary to build good will.

4. do look for low-investment roams like the opportunity to walk halfway there as Lux and snipe with R.

5. don't roam if enemy mid is already there and I'm still in lane and the conflict will be over when I get there

6. don't roam if it means walking right next to enemy mid who is also roaming and they're going to turn around and kill me in the river

7. don't roam if your lanes are pushed, because they'll laugh at you for showing up and not getting a kill
    7a. do roam if your lanes are pushed and you think you're going to towerdive ideally with the jungler

credeiki on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Learned something new last night. When Tahm Kench eats an Urgot with his W active, Urgot keeps firing from inside Tahm. It was pretty cool

Doublelift Team Liquid v TSM
    That was fun to watch. A good Taric ult makes teamfights look unfair.

Doublelift Team Liquid v TSM
    That was fun to watch. A good Taric ult makes teamfights look unfair.
    As a Taric player I was proud.

As a TSM fan I was disgusted and disappointed. Not surprised, but disappointed.

Flyquest has the worst team jersey I have ever seen.

I think the GGS ones are really bad. The v-neck is weird and the color is terrible.
    Flyquest jerseys are better this year than they were last year--I kind of like the huge bold design of the logo on the front. The back is terrible and the sponsorship logos are too colorful and jarring.

The CG logo/jersey is *great* and the circuitboard pattern on the black part of it is especially cool. Looked like their team jackets are neat too but I didn't get a close enough look.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Damn it, @credeiki, this is your fault! You did this to me!
    mi1ok9shprzi.png
    I don't know why I'm bothering trying to relearn this game; I can't play for shit. Even in the one match we won I played like utter garbage for the first twenty minutes.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Damn it, "credeiki", this is your fault! You did this to me!
    mi1ok9shprzi.png
    I don't know why I'm bothering trying to relearn this game; I can't play for shit. Even in the one match we won I played like utter garbage for the first twenty minutes.

aw, unlucky...it'll probably take a bit for your new elo to rebalance--it probably remembers how good you were however many years ago and is matching you with people who didn't just take a bunch of time off. You'll get back into it!

...can I interest you in support Zyra which is the most delightful support and does tons of damage with the new runes what with no one having any magic resist any more? It takes a bit of finesse because you have like 400 hp (similar to Sona in that way) but it's super fun to just walk up to the enemy and plant flowers on them that do ~50% hp once you buy an item or so...
    Taric and Nami both seem really hard to play, to me, especially Taric.

I think the GGS ones are really bad. The v-neck is weird and the color is terrible.
    Flyquest jerseys are better this year than they were last year--I kind of like the huge bold design of the logo on the front. The back is terrible and the sponsorship logos are too colorful and jarring.

The CG logo/jersey is *great* and the circuitboard pattern on the black part of it is especially cool. Looked like their team jackets are neat too but I didn't get a close enough look.

Echo Fox has my vote for best colorful jersey. It's probably my second favorite after TSM's.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    It just takes practice, man. Hell, I've been playing this damn thing for 6 years now and I still went 2-8 in my placements. Losing streaks happen. Some advice though? Maybe reexamine what you're building. I'm not sure why you seemed so dead-set on rushing Mikael's on Nami. It's a pretty situational item. Your Taric builds are fine, but your Annie is questionable. Rushing Deathcap is pretty much always the wrong choice, since it amplifies the AP you already have. If all it's amplifying is a Doran's Ring then it's not doing you much good. A Morellonomicon or even a Protobelt is a much better first buy. Honestly, I almost never build a Deathcap when I'm mid anymore.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    mi1ok9shprzi.png

aw, unlucky...it'll probably take a bit for your new elo to rebalance--it probably remembers how good you were however many years ago and is matching you with people who didn't just take a bunch of time off. You'll get back into it!

...can I interest you in support Zyra which is the most delightful support and does tons of damage with the new runes what with no one having any magic resist any more? It takes a bit of finesse because you have like 400 hp (similar to Sona in that way) but it's super fun to just walk up to the enemy and plant flowers on them that do ~50% hp once you buy an item or so...
    Zyra was on my list once upon a time, but a squishy support with no heal and no stun scares the crap out of me. Especially now.

Funny story about one of those Taric games. The team had no tank and I wanted to have a heal, so I swapped to Taric. Then I loaded into the game and saw that literally every ability in his kit was unrecognizeable. I guess they totally scrapped and replaced him at some point. So that was obviously a disaster.
    Sprout wrote: »
    It just takes practice, man. Hell, I've been playing this damn thing for 6 years now and I still went 2-8 in my placements. Losing streaks happen. Some advice though? Maybe reexamine what you're building. I'm not sure why you seemed so dead-set on rushing Mikael's on Nami. It's a pretty situational item. Your Taric builds are fine, but your Annie is questionable. Rushing Deathcap is pretty much always the wrong choice, since it amplifies the AP you already have. If all it's amplifying is a Doran's Ring then it's not doing you much good. A Morellonomicon or even a Protobelt is a much better first buy. Honestly, I almost never build a Deathcap when I'm mid anymore.
    I actually got confused and mixed up Crucible with Locket at one point. Sightstone>boots>Locket is more what I remember doing in the old days on supports.

Deathcap rush was more of a thing I dimly remembered people doing a long time ago if you could afford the NLR early enough. I remember Morellonomicon being mostly anti-healing tech and I don't know much about Protobelt. What do you get if you need early MR? Some of the old MR/AP items seem to have been scrapped. Banshee's seems to be the only option? Wierd to see AP on it.

The more immediate problem in the Annie games is that I'm always getting my ass kicked by everyone before it matters what anyone's buying.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    on friday i played my first few games of league in like 4 years

fed like an absolute bandit

i have no idea what any of the b o i s do its very distressing but its fine i shall become the feed i want to see in the world. will probs play like 20 more normals then wander into ranked - the normals have been mostly plats and diamonds so i guess normal mmr never decays? well see how the placements work idk if it even remembers ranked from the old system

obF2Wuw.png
    mi1ok9shprzi.png

Zyra was on my list once upon a time, but a squishy support with no heal and no stun scares the crap out of me. Especially now.

Funny story about one of those Taric games. The team had no tank and I wanted to have a heal, so I swapped to Taric. Then I loaded into the game and saw that literally every ability in his kit was unrecognizeable. I guess they totally scrapped and replaced him at some point. So that was obviously a disaster.
    I actually got confused and mixed up Crucible with Locket at one point. Sightstone>boots>Locket is more what I remember doing in the old days on supports.

Deathcap rush was more of a thing I dimly remembered people doing a long time ago if you could afford the NLR early enough. I remember Morellonomicon being mostly anti-healing tech and I don't know much about Protobelt. What do you get if you need early MR? Some of the old MR/AP items seem to have been scrapped. Banshee's seems to be the only option? Wierd to see AP on it.

The more immediate problem in the Annie games is that I'm always getting my ass kicked by everyone before it matters what anyone's buying.

No yeah don't feel bad about the Taric situation; Taric went from being unplayably boring to quite finicky. I cannot get the hang of his new stun or ult at all. Alistar's kit also changed a bit, so watch out for that too. Morellonomicon is still anti-healing, but it's first buy on a lot of midlaners because it has ok AP, 20% cdr, and some mana regen. Annie is one of the midlaners who doesn't necessarily rush it since she doesn't have mana problems, but she certainly can for the cdr. I'll often go Ludens on her first (similar in concept to old dfg in that it just sort of increases burst. Also increases movespeed which is especially nice on Annie.)
    Yeah, banshee's veil is basically your only solution for mr as a midlaner. Pros will buy QSS specifially against Malzahar (and basically only then) and that seems fairly worthwhile.

Man, this weekend I'm at my husband's apartment instead of mine, and his gaming pc setup isn't quite good enough for me to be willing to play the rest of my ranked placements, but we watched a bunch of LCS today and it makes me want to play ranked! I guess I'll wait...

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    mi1ok9shprzi.png

If you are playing support and you haven't played in a while and you feel the need to be a tank, do yourself a favor and play Leona. She functions just like she always did, except everyone else in bot lane is squishier than ever so it's that much easier to convert an all-in into a kill or 2. You might even be gracious and let the ADC have it!

As for your builds, I think the support-specific items are new to you. They are really affordable, and super useful. Always build them when supporting. Relic shield (for tanks) is probably the strongest at the moment, but coin and spellthief are both good too. You'll probably see them in the "recommended" tab if you're playing support champs, but otherwise they're always in the "laning" tab under gold generation. They can build into 2 different directions (one that combines with your sightstone, and one that is separate). I think you generally take the sightstone one on shield and coin and the non-sightstone on spellthief but that could change from game to game and patch to patch.

Banshee's is a solid option if you feel you need more MR early. If you need a more defensive option you could also build toward Abyssal Mask. It doesn't have any AP but it has an aura that reduces MR which functionally boosts your magic damage. There's also nothing wrong with building Mercury's Treads if the other team is real heavy on AP and/or CC.

As for being afraid to play support Zyra, I think you may be looking at it wrong. Like, if I'm playing an engage support like Leona or Alistar, I would MUCH rather see an enemy Nami than an enemy Zyra. Zyra (and other poke mages) may be squishy, but if she's playing well then I will be low health pretty much constantly, so if I do decide to go all in then I can explode just as easily as she can. Nami sure has more tools to specifically counter my engage, but even if she hits everything, chances are good I get out with a decent amount of health. If I take a bad engage against Zyra, I'm almost certainly dead. Now I've personally switched over to Vel'Koz as my poke mage of choice, as I enjoy his increased range, but the same concept applies. I also find poke to be a really enjoyable playstyle, but that's just me.

edited January 2018
    Yasuomain (on Yas getting banned): "I know how to play other champs than Yas and not feed. If you die once and continue to die in lane you're just shit." Proceeds to feed nine times.

Followup. 0/8 Kayn who constantly ulted into 1v2+ matchups with enemy CC.

Do.... do people stop learning from mistakes somehow?

vagrant_winds on
    I am so fucking done today.

Third game not only does it go 4.5 as our Mid AFKs, but my ADC not only ignores wards, but flames me when I ping him to retreat that he's getting flanked thanks to my wards spotting ganks. Nope, Draven continues to stay, then scream at me in all chat when I fucking warned and warded for him. Multiple. Fucking. Times.

/headesk

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I just started playing again. I'm still leveling up, is there a way to find some fine folks to play together?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    No yeah don't feel bad about the Taric situation; Taric went from being unplayably boring to quite finicky. I cannot get the hang of his new stun or ult at all.

I miss the old Taric. They should have more simple champions in this game.
    I just started playing again. I'm still leveling up, is there a way to find some fine folks to play together?

Hit me up if you'd like (Doctor Ivellius). I can try to make some connections with people for you, too, though I'm not in the PA club for reasons (mainly, having a limit of 3 clubs and I really want the club tag for one of mine). I think @credeiki is an officer (maybe?) as well as one of the most active people in these threads.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius