As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestling] 2017 goes to 8,760 hour time limit draw

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm watching Survivor Series 2007 for whatever reason and the Miz just came out wearing a fedora.

Boy he has come a long way.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I'm watching Survivor Series 2007 for whatever reason and the Miz just came out wearing a fedora.

Boy he has come a long way.

Still think he should win the Rumble

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I have never seen a Del Rio match that made me think he was anything more than competent and the fact that he half asses it unless he decides to care about the story means he's frequently as interesting as wallpaper

He's about on the same level as Randy Orton for me in the interest department, except that Randy did actually have good matches in his early career when he was young and cared more.

I have never seen a Del Rio match that I cared about or remember.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    If WWE is doing AJ vs Nak at Mania

I think Shinsuke ought to go heel

Or just have two people that the fans love go out there and have a good, competitive match.

Face vs. Face is just fine.

They did face Finn vs. face Nakamura in NXT. Also face Sami vs. face Nakamura in NXT.

No reason to turn anyone.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I have never seen a Del Rio match that made me think he was anything more than competent and the fact that he half asses it unless he decides to care about the story means he's frequently as interesting as wallpaper

He's about on the same level as Randy Orton for me in the interest department, except that Randy did actually have good matches in his early career when he was young and cared more.

I havent really checked, but presumably his best work was in Mexico. Hes not really exciting enough for me to bother checking out.

He had a good match against Johnny Mundo in LU too.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    March
    1KLHnL5.png

March began with Jack Swagger returning to Mars. He was actually announcing independent show appearances while still under contract and it still took WWE almost two weeks to pay enough attention to him to release him. Jack only made about eight notable appearances on independent shows since then and four of them were with House of Hardcore's Australian tour. Still though look for Jake Hager to make his Bellator MMA debut sometime in 2018.

Back in WWE Austin Aries returned to in-ring action by heroically cheap shotting Neville and making his 205 Live Debut. You know in hindsight when you consider the guys Neville feuded with was he ever really a heel? I guess Mustafa Ali was busy dealing with Drew Gulak's no fly zone around this time.

WWE merged into the Fastlane on March 5th at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee. The show which was definitely not a glorified episode of RAW centered around giving Goldberg Kevin Owens' Universal Championship now that Owens had spent months making the title matter. You can tell it wasn't an episode of RAW by the way two of the matches were booked when Rusev and Jinder Mahal split up as a tag team and were put in matches with mystery opponents during the pre-show. RAW doesn't have a pre-show so they have to waste all that time during the actual program. Still though you did get to see Samoa Joe choke Sami Zayn half to death and all of the other champions defend their titles. Even Bayley was able to retain thus ending Charlotte's 18 PPV winning streak...on Fastlane. That wasn't the only thing accomplished by a woman being tossed out for nothing as Sasha Banks ended Nia Jax's winning streak. It wasn't just women's streaks though as Roman Reigns vanquished Braun Strowman who had previously never been pinned or submitted. The thing about Braun though is that if you strike him down he only becomes fucking rad.

Then came time for the main event as current star Kevin Owens took on a man who definitely didn't need his goatee to be made black in Photoshop. Owens repeatedly rolled out the ring, taunted and in general stalled for time before the match for entirely storyline based reasons and not because Goldberg was at this point revealing in interviews that he was not doing well in conditioning for a full time run. With the match finally beginning Chris Jericho's music played and Y2J appeared at the top of the ramp leading to Goldberg hitting his devastating finisher: the insipid sports entertainment distraction fuck finish. And with that a match that went 20 seconds set up a month long build toward a Wrestlemania main event between up and coming workhorses Goldberg and full timer and automatic challenger Brock Lesnar.

Ring of Honor's 15th Anniversary took place on March 10th and 11th. The show saw The Hardys defeat Roppongi Vice and The Young Bucks in a very forward thinking Las Vegas Street Fight for the ROH World Tag Team Championships and in the main event Christopher Daniels defeated Adam Cole. When Ring of Honor was hot in the early 2000s they made themselves look important by putting younger guys they could claim as their own stars over and I guess that's still half true with Daniels.

Jesus this is depressing. Thank God there's New Japan and with the New Japan Cup taking place over eight nights from the 11th through the 20th there's a lot of New Japan. Tomoaki Honma was pulled from the tournament due to a spinal cord injury and replaced with Yuji Nagata who fell to Evil in round two who lost to Bad Luck Fale in the Semifinals. Still though the real star of the tournament was Katsuyori Shibata who put on great matches with Minoru Suzuki, Juice Robinson and Tomohiro Ishii before trying his best with what he had to work with in the Final. I'm not sure anybody was asking for an 18 minute Fale match but an 18 minute Shibata match is something to get excited about. Even more exciting is that Shibata penalty kicked his way to victory making good on the goal he'd had the past three years to win the New Japan Cup and go on to face Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

Mwx884o.jpg
    If WWE is doing AJ vs Nak at Mania

I think Shinsuke ought to go heel

Or just have two people that the fans love go out there and have a good, competitive match.

Face vs. Face is just fine.

They did face Finn vs. face Nakamura in NXT. Also face Sami vs. face Nakamura in NXT.

No reason to turn anyone.

I think Nak needs it to freshen up his character.

The answer to somebody needing to "freshen up their character" isn't always just making them turn dude. You keep suggesting all the heels turn face and all the faces turn heel. That's not how you create compelling characters. It's how you create Big Show.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Missed out on first place at a trivia night because I didn't know Ultimate Warrior hawked Slim Jims before Randy Savage

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Somehow the opening to Raw 25 leaked

https://streamable.com/kz6bx

Legit surprised they
    included Punk saying pipe bomb

CYpGAPn.png
    Joe said his foot injury won’t require surgery thankfully.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Is Akebono still wrestling

wirehead26 on
    Tam Nakano has been kicked out of Oedo Tai

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    First 205 Live house show drew around 900 according to reports.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Is Akebono still wrestling

Don't think so, health scare middle of last year if I recall correctly? Don't believe he's worked since but I could be wrong.

Alt response: Did he ever really wrestle?

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Legit surprised they
    Really, why? It's a big Raw moment and it's not like any other company is poised to benefit from CM Punk exposure.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

Based Tam-Tam :(

edited January 2018
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

Based Tam-Tam :(

She got offered to be in basically every face stable

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    edited January 2018
    Rev Pro tag title High Stakes spoilers:
    DUBLXhUWkAA1GjS-696x464.jpg

Might as well just retire those belts now then.

Dyvim Tvar on
    DUBphoiVwAEnPb2.jpg

2ohWien.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    That RAW 25 intro was great
    I teared up at the Edge and Daniel retirement segment then they ruined it with showing that POS Warrior.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    #staywoke

Ugh Minoru was impossibly handsome in his younger days.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Err, how are any normal humans supposed to get those tag titles now?

Why would any normal human try?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.

Right? Like if I was the champ and seen those two on the other end of the ring id just drop the belts and get the fuck out of dodge.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

Legit surprised they

Is this the go home show too? I can believe some of these outlier Rumble predictions because they really haven't put a great deal of effort into selling this Rumble at all and a show filled with references to 25 years of history probably won't have much time to do so. Makes me think it's not built around crowning one of the chosen few or anything to do with the UC title.

• Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    I think it says something about Asuka that I expect her to no-sell that and kick his head off. Mostly because I believe she's invincible and could kill me.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    lJpp9vT.jpg?1

• hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

In case anyone is wondering what Drew is talking about here, it's the fact that city crews are greasing traffic light poles with crisco

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Right? Like if I was the champ and seen those two on the other end of the ring id just drop the belts and get the fuck out of dodge.

Like, if I was Braun Strowman I'd go look for a truck to flip instead. Or just throw myself into a garbage truck straight off.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited January 2018
    Based on the card there's a very real chance that High Stakes is a strong contender for show of the year again this year.

Mandrews vs Ospreay, Moustache Mountain vs The second and third best members of Suzuki-Gun for the tag titles, Aussie Open vs EVIL & Sanada, CCK vs Bodom and Gibson, plus some other stuff is just a hella stacked show.

Dyvim Tvar on
    edited January 2018
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    lJpp9vT.jpg?1

Well we found the perfect replacement for Del Rio's fart sniffing face.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

"...and you can see it NOW, only on the WWE Network!" *proceeds to show it on YouTube*

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I appreciate that the UFC is helping to hide the fact that he's winning the rumble by saying they'd give him another shot.

Also, damn Jack

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

It's so weird to hear Leonardo calling Asuka out like that.

Vs. John Cena for the honor of Santa and Christmas will forever be burned into my memory.

Also, not watching the Raw 25 opening leak. With just one day left, I'd rather see it as intended.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
This discussion has been closed.