As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    AC games nearly always have a rushed third act. Especially AC3.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    On 'Rushed third acts':
    I mean, that's true of most games.

On Evie and Jacob:
    The Evie and Jacob setup was my biggest disappointment with Syndicate.

Jacob gets 22 missions to Evie's 10. Of those, 3 fit in the category of 'cleaning up after Jacob.' And a fourth has Jacob tagging along. There's a long way to go, imo. I mean, I played as Evie every chance I got, and mentally it still reads as Jacob's game.

On Cello's Thoughts:
    I'm a little bummed that you're disappointed. The game's structure makes it hard for me to guess what you have and haven't done, but it may help to know that there's a fairly large cast. I thought Taimhotep was great, for example.

It's a little unfortunate the developers didn't catch the one-two punch of Khaliset -> Crocodile. I finished a half-dozen quests between the two and I guess the emotional distance helped.

And, hey, while I'm here
    On the quest "Hidden Tax" (near Lake Mareotis)
    It didn't occur to me in the moment, but I'm curious if anyone switched to unarmed when the woman's brothers (?) showed up. I'd like to know if her reaction changes if you just give them a beating instead of murdering them.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the ac2 third act was the worst

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The entire plot of ac2 was dodgy.

I have no idea what happened in that game at all.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

I mean, they ended up making a whole 'nother game because people thought it wrapped up so badly.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Damn...looking back I have thought every final act in an AC game was a hot mess.

I remember Brotherhood was a series of time skips and cutscenes that barely explained anything.

• Options
    hm

haven't played that in six years, let's see

a young nobleman called Ezio is running about his town, getting into fights, climbing buildings, and generally being a youth. One day his father and brother(s) are arrested on trumped-up charges and publicly executed. He flees with his mother to the ancestral home, Monterigginoni (sp) where he meets his uncle and learns of the Assassin legacy to which he is heir.

He spends perhaps a dozen years training as an Assassin, with the extremely specific goal of avenging his family. It transpires that the execution was plotted by the Templar Order. During this time, he trains with a wide variety of folk, accepts contract work from his father's old contact, meets with Leonardo da Vinci, has a reunion with an old lover. He and Lorenzo de' Medici slowly discover and assassinate the members of the Templar Order, though the head of the group remains elusive.

That leader, Rodrigo Borgia, is engaged in his own quest for powers mundane and exotic. To this end, he rises through the ranks and is eventually elected Pope.

After, when Ezio finally catches up to Pope Alexander VI, he chooses to spare the man's life. He takes the Papal staff and uses it to open a secret chamber in the Papal palace. A recording from millennia ago speaks to a man not yet born.

(also Ezio collected a hundred or so feathers because some idiot(s) left them lying around the towns and, hey, there was a secret ending or something and no I'm not still bitter about that last one out on the lone tower outside of the ... muddy gray-and-blue town.)

how'd I do?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean. I remember your dad dies and you kill the borgias and one becomes the Pope.

But that is pretty much the bookend of the actual story. Every thing else in between is a big ol blur.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

yeah constantinople just wasn't an interesting city

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The actual ending of AC2 is amazing

You have a magic battle with the pope who has a laser staff and then you kill him and go and talk to some ancient aliens who talk through this dead person to a guy in the far future living through his memories

They literally turn to the look at the camera and it's such a great moment, and it's a cliffhanger, yeah, but you resolve the Ezio thing of "kill that mofuggin' Borgia" in the most bonkers way possible and then get a crazy reveal that could have led to something dope

It didn't, obviously -- literally nothing about Assassin's Creed went the way it was supposed to -- but boy at the time I was like "now THAT'S how you end the middle chapter of your trilogy"

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The actual ending of AC2 is amazing

You have a magic battle with the pope who has a laser staff and then you kill him and go and talk to some ancient aliens who talk through this dead person to a guy in the far future living through his memories

They literally turn to the look at the camera and it's such a great moment, and it's a cliffhanger, yeah, but you resolve the Ezio thing of "kill that mofuggin' Borgia" in the most bonkers way possible and then get a crazy reveal that could have led to something dope

It didn't, obviously -- literally nothing about Assassin's Creed went the way it was supposed to -- but boy at the time I was like "now THAT'S how you end the middle chapter of your trilogy"

Well, except you pretty clearly don't kill the Pope (because he didn't die until years later IRL).

Which leads into Brotherhood starting with addressing that, with everyone being like "wtf why didn't you kill him you dumbass" and then his son showing up and being like "yo the Pope sent me to fuck you up"

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Why would the pope not dying until years later in real life be an issue that requires Ezio to not kill the pope? The series never had any problems writing off tons of things that didn't happen in real life as being because of the templars covering it up.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Why would the pope not dying until years later in real life be an issue that requires Ezio to not kill the pope? The series never had any problems writing off tons of things that didn't happen in real life as being because of the templars covering it up.

Don't ask me, I didn't write the games.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I am curious if the carnival part of AC2 was as nonsensical as I remember it being.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The first couple games at least tried to have the deaths match up with like, vague or unknown historical circumstances so they could have that plausible deniability

Rodrigo Borgia took ill after a meal and died a few days later; in AC Brotherhood they have Cesare poison him

It's like, close enough for "historical cover-up" purposes, more so than getting beat to death years too early in the Sistine chapel

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Finished AC3 tonight.
    I like every game in this series more than the one before. Only real complaint this time is too many sequences that require doing exactly what they want with very little margin of error.
    Tomorrow, on to Black Flag! The point of this whole thing! Pirates, arr!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Update: wandered through the Black Flag intro. I like the bright color palette, I don't like the... the manner in which the game doesn't seem to synch you up in terms of orienting you to make jumps. That may be something that doesn't actually exist and I just need to get used to the new art.

The main thing i like so far is I'M A FUCKING PIRATE! FUCK YOU I'M A PIRATE!

chromdom on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Okay I got back in and Kensa rules and this is much better

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    FUCK YOU I'M A PIRATE!
    Havana was super fun. Still not too far into Black Flag, maybe 4 or 5 hours (how long is this game anyway?), but it is a strong contender at being a game that enters my personal Best Games pantheon.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular

yeah constantinople just wasn't an interesting city

I loved constantinople and the toys they give you in that game. Revelations is my favorite of AC2 but I know I am in the minority in that thought.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The biggest problems with Revelations were that there weren't REALLY any revelations in the game, story-wise, and also it was just More Assassin's Creed 2

Which I liked, and it was a nice coda for the Ezio/Altair storylines, but I understand why it wasn't so well-liked.

Also I did the FFXV tie-in thing in Origins last night, and what the fuck was that?

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The biggest problems with Revelations were that there weren't REALLY any revelations in the game, story-wise, and also it was just More Assassin's Creed 2

Which I liked, and it was a nice coda for the Ezio/Altair storylines, but I understand why it wasn't so well-liked.

Also I did the FFXV tie-in thing in Origins last night, and what the fuck was that?

That is an ugly ass camel.

• Options

I know that the first-person Animus platforming puzzle parts probably weren't very popular with people either, but I really liked The Lost Archive DLC, which explored the history of Subject 16 and frankly had some of the strongest emotional beats in the whole damn series.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »

How dare you speak ill of my magnificent camel-bird.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    While I did like the revamped combat in Origins it exists in this weird space where it still easy as hell but can also cheap you out not because its hard but because its janky.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Sprout wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »

How dare you speak ill of my magnificent camel-bird.

When I was doing that quest I fully expected a chocobo and instead I get that abomination. I did the only logical thing, I tried to end its miserable existence with my sword.

Phasen on
  • Options
    Oh dang is that DLC out today?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh dang is that DLC out today?

Hmmm

https://youtu.be/-sWcQqGof0U

• Options
    alright! finally off work, the dlc is due out today and I

oh. Ok, uplay. No, I'll happily sit here while you download nearly 7 gigabytes of data. I mean, you could have done that at literally any point today instead of waiting for my go-ahead, but sure.

• Options
    Originally I was like "Oh hey I should buy the DLC" but then I saw it's post main game DLC, so I may as well wait till I've finished the game.

• Options
    Originally I was like "Oh hey I should buy the DLC" but then I saw it's post main game DLC, so I may as well wait till I've finished the game.

Yeah it explicitly takes place years after the main game.

I'm not going to be able to dig into the DLC for a few days yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I can't really afford to spend any money until Friday, but that's for a computer, I guess, but I really want this expansion thing, it looks neat, I hope it's good

• Options
    FUCK YOU I'M A PIRATE!
    I actually am a pirate now, a pirate captain with my own ship and a price on my head and everything. Swinging, swimming, and jumping from ship to ship, stabbing navy seamen and freeing shipmates! FUCK YOU I'M A PIRATE!

I promise I'll stop with the FUCK YOU I'M A PIRATE! soon. Not yet though, 'cause FUCK YOU I'M A PIRATE!
    FUCK YOU I'M A PIRATE!
    Seriously, did you not see that coming?
    FUCK YOU I'M A PIRATE!

• Options
    sorry

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The new maxxed out Bayek look is gorgeous. With the Hidden Ones robes and the beard he looks like ACR Ezio in the best possible way.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    The new maxxed out Bayek look is gorgeous. With the Hidden Ones robes and the beard he looks like ACR Ezio in the best possible way.

I think this will be the first DLC I have bought on a console in a long time. I just really love that world.

• Options
    Did they change how his gear looks?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The bracers got changed around Christmas time I think, same time as the beard toggle got added.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I dunno how you could play without Bayek's hair and beard

They suit him so well, it's weird going back to shaven head/no beard.

• Options
    I like to mix it up but there is always hair on at least one part of that head