As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - NFL DLC

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - NFL DLC

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    you know I'd probably seriously consider watching Football if it had that..

• Options
    R0n1n_76R0n1n_76 Registered User regular
    Putting the Fantasy back into Fantasy Football. I'm down with this.

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    I mean...if Blood Bowl was real...I might watch it.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    I dunno man. I've seen a lot of acrobatics from the Minnesota Vikings wide receivers this season, so I'm not entirely convinced NFL wide receivers don't have limited flight already. Sounds to me like the QBs getting Ignite capabilities would be the only additions to the rule set.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    This reminds me of an old Full Spectrum Warrior comic:
    215503134_3CGPV-2100x20000.jpg
    The jokes are inversions of each other.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    That's a solid Goodell

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Maybe if the FUCKING PATRIOTS would stop winning all the time it would he more worthwhile.

Also all the stoppages for reviews and penalties and shit really make it harder to keep my attention

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Einaudi-EnthusiastEinaudi-Enthusiast Registered User regular
    Gah, I can't wait to start offering morning-line odds on this stuff--once I get a job in the pari-mutuels department at a race track.

• Options
    ChaosPathChaosPath Registered User regular
    That's the weirdest fucking neckbeard I've ever seen

• Options
    KittenMittensKittenMittens Registered User new member
    The blue line on 'wide' in the 2nd panel hurts my head.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    ChaosPath wrote: »
    It's shadow on the dude's neck from his head.

sig.gif
  • Options
    vanner11vanner11 Registered User regular
    This is a patently false claim. We all know the NFL has no threat of market loss to Overwatch.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I don't think that Jerry was saying that Overwatch, in particular, is somehow a threat to the NFL, but rather than traditional sporting events aren't capturing the views of the Twitch demographic like it may have in the past, for a variety of reasons.

The NFL itself has been on a downward ratings trajectory for the last several years. There are many contributing factors, including but not limited to:

The injury/CTE factor. When players suffer horrendous injuries every year (including Ryan Shazier paralyzing himself a few weeks ago), and former players dying young (suicide, or other health complications), it makes it far more uncomfortable to watch.

Lowered Pop Warner/child engagement in the sport stemming from parents concerned about the above.

The dominance of one particular team for nearly 20 years (New England Patriots).

Overly long games with shitty rules and officiating.

Too many games spread throughout the week (Sunday, Monday, and Thursday), often with bad/boring matchups.

People upset at the league because of stupid racist shit.

Other forms of far less violent on-demand entertainment at our fingertips (which is where video games and Twitch comes in).

---

The advent of Twitch, and the decline of traditional sports, is really just another symptom of living in an always connected society. We don't need to literally beat each other over the heads for sport, or watch it for entertainment, just like we don't need to set aside a specific datetime to consume particular media, or need to buy disposable papers for news.

And, really, video games - and their viewership - make a ton of sense as the next big thing because they're accessible. You don't need to be 6'4, 225 lbs. of muscle to partake (or, shit, even not-disabled (see: halfcoordinated, me, a bunch of other disabled gamers)), and there's no subjective officiating (was that a catch? or a penalty?). Games are innately egalitarian and understandable, with rules that are largely defined by the game design itself.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    As a gamer I always wondered why sports never clicked for me. I don't think it's just my frail stature...I know plenty of sports fans who are out of shape and have never liked *playing* any sports. Football especially seems well suited to an RTS/wargaming fan, since it's basically two armies fighting over territory.

But here's my theory. This is what a sport is to me: let's have the ten adult men from our village race each other so we can find out who is the fastest. If we already knew the fastest there'd be no point. But as was discussed in the last comic's thread, NFL is not about two towns seeing who has the better football players in them, since the players are handpicked from across the country to be the best.

Football games start with us knowing all the stats of the players involved, stats which essentially determine the outcome of the game. Of course there's variation, but when you get enough players to choose from and enough games played that variation levels out. Any Fantasy player will tell you that player stats essentially tell you what will happen, and most major shakeups come from misplays--like forgetting to shoot with a squad in a table game. A team's strength is basically decided at the draft.

Of course none of what I just said is really true, but I can't get that thinking out of my brain. It looks to me like playing Warhammer with each side having a different points value (the amount that club can afford to spend on salaries) and less variation in unit types since each team has to field the same positions.

I guess I just feel like grabbing together the best of the best from around the country defeats the actual competitive side since everyone already knows exactly (to a number) how good every player is at every thing, knowledge gathered by a huge dataset that removes any real surprises.

Also maybe if they didn't stop playing every two minutes it would help.

• Options
    MonoMono Registered User regular
    > As a gamer I always wondered why sports never clicked for me.

For me ... I see people get depressed when their team loses. Almost got into it myself ... then I thought, "WTF am I doing?". Why create this unnecessary emotional attachment (to something that's completely out of my control at that) to get bumped out about?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    vanner11 wrote: »
    This is a patently false claim. We all know the NFL has no threat of market loss to Overwatch.

This is a comedy website

• Options
    ChaosPathChaosPath Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    ChaosPath wrote: »
    It's shadow on the dude's neck from his head.

You don't say

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    vanner11 wrote: »

This is a comedy website

*looks at tube's avatar*

Seems legit.

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Imagine Dissidia but they played football instead of fighting!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    poipoigirl wrote: »

I would buy this in a heartbeat.

Hopefully the new Mutant League Football is good... or maybe someone will revive the Blitz: The League IP. Been far too long since we've had any good arcadey football games.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    poipoigirl wrote: »

My first thought is that whoever has Tidus has a serious advantage, but then there's Jecht.