As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I have entirely given up the idea of making any variety of Asian dumplings myself, because it is a 1000% guarantee there are ones available for cheap here that are 1000% better.

In fact I am having some on Friday. And also maybe Wednesday.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Tonight I made Ossetian pies.

EmANqMfl.jpg

K5ngIGVl.jpg

The recipe I used lacked pictures, so it was only after making them and googling to see if there was another name for these that I realized that they're supposed to be rolled out much thinner. But I followed the recipe in terms of dough thickness. And also omg they are so good.

Such cheese.

I'm also making goulash, if you can still call it goulash if you've substituted roasted mushrooms for the beef. I'm attempting to cut it out from my life.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    That looks delicious. I know it's not the same thing, but from the look alone I get massive eating-burek-in-croatia flashbacks, and I'm salivating.

In other news, I somehow just today realized that hey, my rice cooker has a steaming tray. I should probably steam some buns, maybe? I never tried that.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hey...quick question:

Anyone ever here of "sammer"? It's an herb. This particular batch was harvested in Missouri and is dried.

I've never come across it, google is failing me, and I have access to a bag of it. Almost like a purple flower with a...I don't know how to describe it smell.

Little help?

Did you honestly just post this on the open web? Please tell me you have less than an ounce, or else that's an automatic intent to sell charge.

Considering where this came from I can 100% confidently say that the pot was in the next garden plot over.

Pic:
    5vardp5.jpg

DEkFLrX.jpg

Checked out hyssop and doesn't look like it, but might be some kind of lavender varietal?

Those look like dried chrysanthemums / football mums to me. I had 'em in my wedding bouquet and they looked a lot like that when they dried out.

In other words, I don't think those are a spice, my man

Edit: Apparently some people use it as a tea? For comparison, here is a picture of some partially dried purple mums I found on the good 'ole internet:

1096eacaa7c330215fb8cc7ecaa401a2--mum-flower-flowers.jpg

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to make a couple salt cellars

Should be fun

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hey...quick question:

Anyone ever here of "sammer"? It's an herb. This particular batch was harvested in Missouri and is dried.

I've never come across it, google is failing me, and I have access to a bag of it. Almost like a purple flower with a...I don't know how to describe it smell.

Little help?

Did you honestly just post this on the open web? Please tell me you have less than an ounce, or else that's an automatic intent to sell charge.

Considering where this came from I can 100% confidently say that the pot was in the next garden plot over.

Pic:
    5vardp5.jpg

DEkFLrX.jpg

Checked out hyssop and doesn't look like it, but might be some kind of lavender varietal?

Those look like dried chrysanthemums / football mums to me. I had 'em in my wedding bouquet and they looked a lot like that when they dried out.

In other words, I don't think those are a spice, my man

Edit: Apparently some people use it as a tea? For comparison, here is a picture of some partially dried purple mums I found on the good 'ole internet:

1096eacaa7c330215fb8cc7ecaa401a2--mum-flower-flowers.jpg

Yep, totally going to make tea out of it.

Will report back on amount of balls being tripped.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    making croissants yourself feels like courting the dark side of the force

Just tell me how many younglings I have to lightsaber in the face to get that dark side ability and I'll get started.

• Options
    I'm going to say either a sith load or a bakers dozen

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Combined sausage, kale, and croutons for a quick and tasty saute:

CIvlXWG.jpg?1

xet8c.gif

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm making orange chicken, jasmine rice and some sauteed broccoli for dinner. Getting ready to start soon and really looking forward to it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Tonight was attempt number 2 at spatchcock chicken. This time I followed my heart and basically ignored all the recipes. I cut the spine out like normal and just patted it dry with paper towel. I covered both sides with salt, dried herbs and placed over some tiny little deskinned whole yellow onions that were on sale. I melted and brushed over butter to finish things off. Into a 420f oven it went. I didn't even bother with a thermometer this time. I brushed over more butter about half way through cooking. Towards the end I brushed over what fat had rendered into the pan. I let it go until the skin looked nice and brown and most of the fat had rendered out.

After removing the bird from the pan, I put it on the stove over medium heat. I whisked everything around and added chicken broth until all the fond dissolved. In another pan I browned from flour in butter before adding the pan sauce, all at once. I kept adding broth and whisking until a rich gravy had formed.

During this I was boiling a mix of new red and russet potatoes for mashing. I like the contrast that you get mixing waxy and starchy potatoes. Just for the hell of it, I threw the onions that I cooked the bird over in while they cooked. Once done I mashed them up with salt, pepper, half n half, sour cream and some leftover cheddar cheese I had from last week.

No money shots this time. I was so hungry when the bird came out of the oven I started picking at it right away, ruining any prospect at a nice picture. The skin was so goooooooood.

• Options
    Alright folks the meal turned out pretty good, but I need some advice. When you have a bunch of chunks of meat and are egg battering and breading them, do you get them all done at once and then introduce them to the hot oil of the pan, or do you do them one at a time into the pan? I did the latter and ended up slightly burning the coating on the first pieces into the pan.

• Options
    I do one at a time, but I also work fast and start rotating if it's taking me too long to get the first batch in. I think a bit is just practice with bread coatings and sauteeing. Apart from a risk of the coating maybe getting a bit gloppy on the first pieces if it's applied thickly/quite wet, I don't see why you couldn't go all at once...

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I'm also making goulash, if you can still call it goulash if you've substituted roasted mushrooms for the beef. I'm attempting to cut it out from my life.

Goulash is whatever you want it to be.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    The real goulash was inside us all along

• Options
    The real goulash was inside us all along

ahh

long pig

never much cared for it

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    A Moosewood (Sundays at Moosewood, to be precise) recipe failed me over the weekend and it was really weird, that almost never happens.

It was for vegetable and cheese pasties and the dough recipe was all kinds of off, I had to tinker with it a bit to come out right and then there wasn't nearly enough for the amount of filling it had me make. They were delicious though.

I also got to use the leftover filling to make hash browns the next morning and that was pretty great too.

But still. Moosewood hasn't done me bad like that before.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Over the weekend the girlfriend and I enjoyed meatballs and marinara we made together last week. I'm a meatball pro but it was my first attempt at a homemade tomato sauce. The market in my old apartment in Cleveland used to sell homemade pasta sauces from restaurants from Little Italy so I never bothered in the past. Sauce came out all right for my first try but I could use a recipe with a little more zing. The meatballs were perfect though.

Also, if you aren't putting ground lamb in your meatballs and meatloaf you need to start. Ground lamb is the light.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Holy shit. I received my new pepper grinder and pepper today and wow is there a difference. I never really realized before how much more flavorful fresh ground pepper is than the store bought pre-ground.

Like the good stuff has some nice rich earthy flavors from the moment it hits the tongue, and then develops a bit of heat, versus the complete lack of flavor from the pre-ground until the bit of heat hits and a slight peppery flavor develops. I can't wait to use this new stuff!

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    A Moosewood (Sundays at Moosewood, to be precise) recipe failed me over the weekend and it was really weird, that almost never happens.

It was for vegetable and cheese pasties and the dough recipe was all kinds of off, I had to tinker with it a bit to come out right and then there wasn't nearly enough for the amount of filling it had me make. They were delicious though.

I also got to use the leftover filling to make hash browns the next morning and that was pretty great too.

But still. Moosewood hasn't done me bad like that before.

Dang, yeah! They are super reliable in my experience. I hate when you're halfway through a dough recipe and you just know it isn't going to be right...

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I made that inside out grill cheese sandwich somebody linked in this thread (or was it D&D's cooking) and it was delicious.

So I have this bag of frozen brussel sprouts i bought last night because i made the foolish decision of hungry grocery shopping. Any suggestions on how best to cook them? Is steaming my only option here? Vegetables are a thing i should learn how to cook.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm currently looking up cake recipes and as a not-american the use of cups and tablespoons is really confusing as a measurement for weight and volume.

• Options
    tonight I'm buying stuff for potato chowdah and also kimchi

• Options
    Speaking of recipes, has anyone tried making tiramisu with different kinds of liquors?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I made that inside out grill cheese sandwich somebody linked in this thread (or was it D&D's cooking) and it was delicious.

So I have this bag of frozen brussel sprouts i bought last night because i made the foolish decision of hungry grocery shopping. Any suggestions on how best to cook them? Is steaming my only option here? Vegetables are a thing i should learn how to cook.

God no. Roast em, eight billion times nicer. You don't need much - oil, salt, pepper, some kind of citrus or sweet vinegar, herbs if you feel fancy.

Chop em in half or slice em thin, coat them in oil, drizzle on anything else and stick em in a moderate oven for 15-30 mins (depending how thinly they were sliced)

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

God no. Roast em, eight billion times nicer. You don't need much - oil, salt, pepper, some kind of citrus or sweet vinegar, herbs if you feel fancy.

Chop em in half or slice em thin, coat them in oil, drizzle on anything else and stick em in a moderate oven for 15-30 mins (depending how thinly they were sliced)

How well does that work with frozen sprouts?

• Options
    No idea, but probably ok - they're fairly robust vegetables and the oven should dry them out. I wouldn't fry them though.i don't really use frozen vegetables.

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Yah you can roast frozen brussels. 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. Toss em with olive oil and seasonings before.

• Options
    Awesome, thank you both for your advice. I will definitely try roasting them tonight. I also have some frozen salmon to toss in there as well. (When the wife is out for the week i just buy frozen for myself all week). Very excited to try this tonight.

Steam
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

How well does that work with frozen sprouts?

Defrost them.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The correct method of cooking brussels sprouts is to boil them for approximately 17 hours, drain, and then place in the dustbin.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    I had some that were roasted in a bit of salt and evoo and then hit with some balsamic vinegar and chopped up dried cherries (or cranberries?)

they were incredible

• Options
    The correct method of cooking brussels sprouts is to boil them for approximately 17 hours, drain, and then place in the dustbin.

Yeah everytime someone shares with me a brussels sprouts dish I can tolerate I always think "Wow! Imagine if a tastier vegetable were used instead!" I love most greens but I do not care for brussels.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for an article in "The Daily Boomer" about how millennials are killing the brussel sprout industry.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm waiting for an article in "The Daily Boomer" about how millennials are killing the brussel sprout industry.

today we've apparently killed Budweiser

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Mmmm Brussels sprouts

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I shared the inside out grilled cheese video, glad you liked it! Crispy pan cheese is one of my all time favourite things, I have an addiction to both crunchy and cheesy things, and it's the best of both worlds. There's actually an awesome restaurant near me called Chez José.. Here, I'll look up a photo or two
    qh2m5918msmc.jpeg
    byoplpfhnarn.jpeg
    And those pics don't even do it justice, I'll take some better ones next time I go. Anyway, they have a wonderful dish they call a Mexican crepe, which is a crepe filled with chicken, veggies and a delicious spicy cream sauce.. But the real magic is on the outside, they use that technique of putting cheese directly in the pan under the crepe so that it gets all crispy and stuck to it. So good.

Also if you can stomach another trip to the grocery and grab miso paste and maple syrup, you could make a really good sauce for your Brussels sprouts and salmon

Also also if anyone goes to chez José, try to sit facing away from the giant creepy anime girl across the street
    0gl0k19m0fkx.jpeg

Atheraal on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm currently looking up cake recipes and as a not-american the use of cups and tablespoons is really confusing as a measurement for weight and volume.

as an american, yes agreed

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The most dog-eared page in my go-to baking book is the conversions section.

• Options
    Thanks for the brussel sprout advice, it was a success. Super tasty.

The salmon i had along with it, less so. I ate it, sure, but it wouldn't be something i'd serve to anyone else. Next time i will be aggressive with my seasoning i guess.

Steam
This discussion has been closed.