As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] [new Ahri skin to fund the year] / [cervitaur dating sim activated]

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I just search for Docter Ivellius in game right? Where do I find the PA club?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Am I stupid or is the champion half off sale only for some of the champions listed?

POgn8f5h.png

I picked up Sej and Zed half price because they were actually discounted but these don't seem to be?

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Damn it, "credeiki", this is your fault! You did this to me!
    mi1ok9shprzi.png
    I don't know why I'm bothering trying to relearn this game; I can't play for shit. Even in the one match we won I played like utter garbage for the first twenty minutes.

aw, unlucky...it'll probably take a bit for your new elo to rebalance--it probably remembers how good you were however many years ago and is matching you with people who didn't just take a bunch of time off. You'll get back into it!

...can I interest you in support Zyra which is the most delightful support and does tons of damage with the new runes what with no one having any magic resist any more? It takes a bit of finesse because you have like 400 hp (similar to Sona in that way) but it's super fun to just walk up to the enemy and plant flowers on them that do ~50% hp once you buy an item or so...
    Taric and Nami both seem really hard to play, to me, especially Taric.
    Zyra was on my list once upon a time, but a squishy support with no heal and no stun scares the crap out of me. Especially now.

Funny story about one of those Taric games. The team had no tank and I wanted to have a heal, so I swapped to Taric. Then I loaded into the game and saw that literally every ability in his kit was unrecognizeable. I guess they totally scrapped and replaced him at some point. So that was obviously a disaster.
    Sprout wrote: »
    It just takes practice, man. Hell, I've been playing this damn thing for 6 years now and I still went 2-8 in my placements. Losing streaks happen. Some advice though? Maybe reexamine what you're building. I'm not sure why you seemed so dead-set on rushing Mikael's on Nami. It's a pretty situational item. Your Taric builds are fine, but your Annie is questionable. Rushing Deathcap is pretty much always the wrong choice, since it amplifies the AP you already have. If all it's amplifying is a Doran's Ring then it's not doing you much good. A Morellonomicon or even a Protobelt is a much better first buy. Honestly, I almost never build a Deathcap when I'm mid anymore.
    I actually got confused and mixed up Crucible with Locket at one point. Sightstone>boots>Locket is more what I remember doing in the old days on supports.

Deathcap rush was more of a thing I dimly remembered people doing a long time ago if you could afford the NLR early enough. I remember Morellonomicon being mostly anti-healing tech and I don't know much about Protobelt. What do you get if you need early MR? Some of the old MR/AP items seem to have been scrapped. Banshee's seems to be the only option? Wierd to see AP on it.

The more immediate problem in the Annie games is that I'm always getting my ass kicked by everyone before it matters what anyone's buying.
    As for being afraid to play support Zyra, I think you may be looking at it wrong. Like, if I'm playing an engage support like Leona or Alistar, I would MUCH rather see an enemy Nami than an enemy Zyra. Zyra (and other poke mages) may be squishy, but if she's playing well then I will be low health pretty much constantly, so if I do decide to go all in then I can explode just as easily as she can. Nami sure has more tools to specifically counter my engage, but even if she hits everything, chances are good I get out with a decent amount of health. If I take a bad engage against Zyra, I'm almost certainly dead. Now I've personally switched over to Vel'Koz as my poke mage of choice, as I enjoy his increased range, but the same concept applies. I also find poke to be a really enjoyable playstyle, but that's just me.
    "If she's playing well" being the operative statement. I just worry about me or the ADC taking a bad trade or two and being helpless to rectify the situation.

But then the last time I played I had similar fears about Leona being too all-in-y and then I played her a bunch and did fine. I'd just like to see Zyra get a free week first or something.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I just search for Docter Ivellius in game right? Where do I find the PA club?

Well, Doctor, but yeah, that'll do it. An officer would have to invite you to the club or approve a member nomination, which is why I can't offer much help there.
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Am I stupid or is the champion half off sale only for some of the champions listed?

I picked up Sej and Zed half price because they were actually discounted but these don't seem to be?

So the champion sales are generally for RP only, but with the start of the season they've low-key marked a group of champions half-off for Blue Essence as well. I think it's about 20 champions across different roles. Someone had posted about it a page or two back.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    Ivellius wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »

So the champion sales are generally for RP only, but with the start of the season they've low-key marked a group of champions half-off for Blue Essence as well. I think it's about 20 champions across different roles. Someone had posted about it a page or two back.
    Oh, they must've jumbled together which champions were for sale with BE and which are for RP or something. I guess these aren't on the list for BE.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    -ugh-

I just had one of those games where I was playing support and my adc was about as dumb as you can get.

you're -ranged- why are you moving into melee?!

I don’t think I would play support if I didn’t know my ADC. If I could avoid it that is. People have been very accommodating to my “top please” requests so far.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I don’t think I would play support if I didn’t know my ADC. If I could avoid it that is. People have been very accommodating to my “top please” requests so far.

I tried too but everyone goddamn autolocked and then refused to stay in my circle of influence as Zilean so I could never get to them to rez them in time.

ugggghhhhh

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    FLY vs TSM:
    Ahahahahaha.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    FLY vs TSM:
    Ahahahahaha.
    TSM's ADCs won both days.

Their former ADCs.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    FLY vs TSM:
    Ahahahahaha.
    TSM's ADCs won both days.

Their former ADCs.
    Someone needs to tell Mike Yeung that he's not Trick2g and to stop trying to escape through the enemy's side of the map.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    LCS, c9 vs ggs precisely
    As much as it's fun to rag on Zoe at the moment, I always had a certain hatred of overly defensive abilities more than stuff that blows you up in an instant.

Or in other words, fuck Ryze's Zhonya + ult combo, and fuck Tahm Kench in general.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I think I might be an officer in the Penny Arcade club/clan/whatever but I cannot figure out how to invite people or if we are full.

If you want to be invited, tell me your summoner name and give me instructions as to where the invite button is

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Yeesh, that feeling when the score in regards to kills might be even... but holy hell is the other team out-rotating and pushing objectives VASTLY better.

They were on bloody point picking up Dragons when we couldn't contest it, or just split-pushing perfectly to blitz towers down... yeah, okay, they deserve that win.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Yeah I had a game recently where the enemy Singed was something like 1/7 early ... but even though our Nasus was 3/0 by 10 minutes he'd lost his tower and Singed was in our base stopping top and mid's waves. When the fed person on our team (4 kill Taliyah) went to stop him it took her 40 seconds of running back and forth in the base to put him down. I think we were up several kills most of the early game but with all that pressure couldn't do anything with it. Then their jg Trundle got items and there were two uncontestable forces... it was a tough way to lose!

@credeiki I believe they've gotta be on your friends list, then you can right click them there to invite to club.

If you're looking to play with people, put your summoner name in the post where you say that! Then folks reading/lurking can add you in league.

5-5 to get placed into Gold IV is pretty good, I think. Especially considering I started 1-4. I'll take it.

Me elsewhere:
    I will, but I’m about to change my summoner name. My current one is anime as fuck, but what’s really embarrassing is that the syntax is fucked up and I can’t live with that.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    5-5 to get placed into Gold IV is pretty good, I think. Especially considering I started 1-4. I'll take it.

I went 4-6 and got placed Silver 2. Completely fine with that since my goal was just to not place Bronze since really at this point are we not a bit beyond that *narrows eyes at last season placements bronze 4 flex queue I mean really*...

That said, I'm quite glad I ended up putting a lot of time/effort into raising my mmr during preseason. End of season I was Gold 5 0 LP and midsilver mmr, but end of preseason I was gold 3 and climbing. Not only did that enable me to utterly fail my placements and be midsilver, but it also let me see that I could adc really nicely around mid-gold. Just need to get back there--a bit faster this time! And then we're gonna hit plat this season! wooooo

Before doing my flex placements or starting my climb, I might play some normals and try some more execution-heavy champions. In mid I always play really simple, easy champions (eg Lux, Annie) so I can focus on the game instead of my personal mechanics. I didn't play mid a lot until last year or so and would get overwhelmed by the responsibility. But at this point, I think I'm a practiced enough midlaner that I might branch out into champions that can be more powerful if played well. We'll see! Or I might spam Kalista to once more try to understand why she's so pick or ban at high levels/to emulate Doublelift I guess.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I lost count how many Stopwatches I saw in week one of LCS.

There was a shit ton of Taric too.

• JookieJookie Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

I went 4-6 and got placed Silver 2. Completely fine with that since my goal was just to not place Bronze since really at this point are we not a bit beyond that *narrows eyes at last season placements bronze 4 flex queue I mean really*...

That said, I'm quite glad I ended up putting a lot of time/effort into raising my mmr during preseason. End of season I was Gold 5 0 LP and midsilver mmr, but end of preseason I was gold 3 and climbing. Not only did that enable me to utterly fail my placements and be midsilver, but it also let me see that I could adc really nicely around mid-gold. Just need to get back there--a bit faster this time! And then we're gonna hit plat this season! wooooo

Before doing my flex placements or starting my climb, I might play some normals and try some more execution-heavy champions. In mid I always play really simple, easy champions (eg Lux, Annie) so I can focus on the game instead of my personal mechanics. I didn't play mid a lot until last year or so and would get overwhelmed by the responsibility. But at this point, I think I'm a practiced enough midlaner that I might branch out into champions that can be more powerful if played well. We'll see! Or I might spam Kalista to once more try to understand why she's so pick or ban at high levels/to emulate Doublelift I guess.
    Kalista is high pressure, good buff security, snowball early end early. Pick her with an aggressive support and tear up bot lane and then go win a different lane off it.

Early on playing her is mostly looking for opportunities to prep a minion with rend and getting a stack on a champion and rending them with the reset. If you're in a situation where you can run them down keep chasing or just run away. Or auto them back to the minion wave and then reset off another minion.

You don't have to have the stack in the target to rend them, just on the way. Q+E while you reset off a minion triggers rend to rip the stack off the target that your Q hits.

I'm sure Doublelift plays her well but I know QT plays her extremely well and watching him made me a lot more aware or what to look for resets off of. Once you know what to look for it's a matter of training yourself to always be looking for it. It is maddening having a support execute minions you're trying to reset off of, especially when they kill it the moment you start your auto+E, putting it on full cooldown. I had Shen the other day that not only did that, he would engage immediately after doing it. If he didn't play like a complete moron I would have thought he did it on purpose but he very clearly was a dumb dumb.

Jookie on
    butts
    Jookie wrote: »

Kalista is high pressure, good buff security, snowball early end early. Pick her with an aggressive support and tear up bot lane and then go win a different lane off it.

Early on playing her is mostly looking for opportunities to prep a minion with rend and getting a stack on a champion and rending them with the reset. If you're in a situation where you can run them down keep chasing or just run away. Or auto them back to the minion wave and then reset off another minion.

You don't have to have the stack in the target to rend them, just on the way. Q+E while you reset off a minion triggers rend to rip the stack off the target that your Q hits.

I'm sure Doublelift plays her well but I know QT plays her extremely well and watching him made me a lot more aware or what to look for resets off of. Once you know what to look for it's a matter of training yourself to always be looking for it. It is maddening having a support execute minions you're trying to reset off of, especially when they kill it the moment you start your auto+E, putting it on full cooldown. I had Shen the other day that not only did that, he would engage immediately after doing it. If he didn't play like a complete moron I would have thought he did it on purpose but he very clearly was a dumb dumb.

QT is never streaming when I watch streams! I only see people who stream weeknights late evenings EST.

So two questions that I could look up but I want to be sure about it after all of the various nerfs and unnerfs to Kalista's csing patterns:

1. If you kill a minion with rend, does the mana and cd completely reset? There used to be a thing where you had to kill two minions with rend, and I stopped playing Kalista because of it, but I think that's not true any more (but I'm not sure)

2. Is there or is there not something where your support needs to be near you in order for you to have your full attack speed? Did I make that up?

Yeah, I think I could probably play Kalista decently if I practiced, because I'm someone who can and will AA-harass on *Sivir* (no one expects you to walk up and AA W AA, because...what...)--so certainly I can do it on someone with normal range and whose lane pattern is designed to revolve around that. I just need to practice the click click click click and just get a sense of how much damage rend does at different levels with different items, because I have no instinct for it at all right now.

What do you tend to build on her?

I like watching VODs way more than live for learning, especially for streamers that are going to have long queue times. You can skip queue, champ select, load times etc, and jump around in the stream to find the champion you want. Most streamers have past broadcasts available, just gotta click that "videos: button at the top. QT's stuff all stays up for a long time so there's a huge amount of games you can check out.

1. Full refund if rend kills a unit
    2. Being near your soul bound partner gives you bonus attack speed based on level. You don't "lose" attack speed by not being near your partner, you just don't gain bonus.

You can probably look up vods or go to YouTube and type (pro player) Kalista and see what comes up. As for build Blade of the Ruined King into Hurricane. Blade lets you actually do damage and either run someone down without having to prep rend first or you can use it to create space to kite someone out and kill them. Hurricane is just...what turns her into a champion. You stack spears on three targets instead of one. Your auto damage isn't great, rend damage is. Rending one person is cool rending three or more is fantastic. Third item depends, QSS if you want to play safe, Hexdrinker if you're worried about magic damage, Mallet if you want to make people miserable, Guinsoo's is my typical go to. Once you have two items you typically just build what you need. You might also pull off Wit's End if you either need magic damage or need to counter magic damage, or both. If you want just survivability and damage Bloodthirster. I guess there was a thing around where people built Mallet and Randuin's, even Visage on top as the third through fifth items and became unkillable while still just stacking rend on everything.

I typically just start Dblade, I want to play up on people and it gives you the most threat. Usually Press the Attack, I guess you could go the attack speed thing (Guinsoo's third breaks the cap with it). I wouldn't go fleet.

It's also worth noting you have terrific synergy with enemy or allied Kindreds. Force them to ult and you freely stack spears without fear of death and then rip them once the heal goes out. You're bad against Vayne after six - you can't stack enough to kill her through her higher burst/dps when she ults since she's constantly turning invisible.

butts
    edited January 2018
    Tried placements. Two games pretty much the same: got a good support and we played lane well despite facing Blitz both times, while two other teammates worked hard to lose the game for us. Game 1 our mid and jg decided to feed Yas/Graves early, top also lost and the game was a joke (8 kills to 22 when team surrendered at 22). Champ select 2 looked promising with my team showing Singed/Xin Zhao/Malzahar but of course they switched to Teemo (fed Darius) and Ryze (lost lane hard to Brand). Even when Darius was visible roaming far from top lane the Teemo didn't push or apply any pressure so it was pretty much a 4v5, which devolved into another total joke of a game.

Overall an awful way to spend 80 minutes (!) but looking for a silver lining, one thing learned/remembered from each game is that the radius of safety for a fed Yasuo is "can you see him? run away" (inhib turrets don't matter), and Trist's W animation is the biggest troll in Riot's code and can't go over Jinx chompers (I know it's a dash because I love Vi Q-ing jumping Trists, but I forgot). I'm going to try Press the Attack because I think a little more damage could have won me some fights. I'm not running relic shield and I'm not sure Fleet is worth it.

Red Raevyn on
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Tried placements. Two games pretty much the same: got a good support and we played lane well despite facing Blitz both times, while two other teammates worked hard to lose the game for us. Game 1 our mid and jg decided to feed Yas/Graves early, top also lost and the game was a joke (8 kills to 22 when team surrendered at 22). Champ select 2 looked promising with my team showing Singed/Xin Zhao/Malzahar but of course they switched to Teemo (fed Darius) and Ryze (lost lane hard to Brand). Even when Darius was visible roaming far from top lane the Teemo didn't push or apply any pressure so it was pretty much a 4v5, which devolved into another total joke of a game.

Overall an awful way to spend 80 minutes (!) but looking for a silver lining, one thing learned/remembered from each game is that the radius of safety for a fed Yasuo is "can you see him? run away" (inhib turrets don't matter), and Trist's W animation is the biggest troll in Riot's code and can't go over Jinx chompers (I know it's a dash because I love Vi Q-ing jumping Trists, but I forgot). I'm going to try Press the Attack because I think a little more damage could have won me some fights. I'm not running relic shield and I'm not sure Fleet is worth it.

Yeah my first main was Khazix way back in, um, S3? S4?

Anyways, many many mistakes of thinking there's really a Z axis in this game.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    The worst thing about pro LoL being back is that it's causing people to pick Ryze in solo queue again.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Man. 6-2 in placements so far. Decided to play leona since they picked my soraka.

We had shen/ivern/zed/vayne/leo.

If vayne was good, we were fine.

Vayne was good. (she was 14/4/9, zed was 13/3/5). Giving vayne shield/locket/redemption/trigger seed/shen ult is just dirty.

Games like that are why I play support.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Kind of interesting to look at the ranked stats right away. In S6/S7 my first collection point was a few weeks after season start and 42/47% were in Bronze and 37/35% in Silver. Then of course Bronze shrank through the season as the higher divisions grew (to about 22% of total players at end of season). But right now (ultra early mind you, only 73k players vs 393k/242k) only 18.5% are in Bronze - 48% are in Silver. Now I'm really curious to see if Bronze swells rapidly (maybe mostly higher elo players did their placements right away) or if there will be an actual difference compared to other seasons. I wish I'd checked right at season start before!
    Although Bronze is growing it isn't near 40%. Seems like there are more people in ranked now than S7 or S6. We're one week in with 468,985 versus 353,675 exactly one year ago (and S7 ranked started early, in December 2016). I'll see where it is in a week.
    giphy.gif

My Draven was super happy this last game.

He had my Taric (who went Guardian/Tear/Zeke's build instead of my normal Tanky-Engage), a Rammus Jungle, Annie Mid, and Mundo Top. The guy was well protected by tanks/cc and went full snowball.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I lost count how many Stopwatches I saw in week one of LCS.

There was a shit ton of Taric too.

I actually wonder if the free Stopwatches are contributing to the snowballiness right now. Since assassins can basically tower dive and get out of it for... well, free... and not have to worry about actually dying in return.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    The worst thing about pro LoL being back is that it's causing people to pick Ryze in solo queue again.
    I dunno this seems like top .01% Ryze play to me and I fully welcome my new solo queue overlord if this is the case.
    https://youtu.be/v1MMJvu79cs?t=273
    If the timestamp doesn't take you directly to where I linked, start at 4:33 and really just start watching the whole thing because this man really is on to something.

butts
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Played a few matched for the first time in awhile today. I was pleasantly surprised that when I had an AFKer in my first placement match they gave up and option to surrender with no loss. That is and amazing feature.

edited January 2018
    Although Bronze is growing it isn't near 40%. Seems like there are more people in ranked now than S7 or S6. We're one week in with 468,985 versus 353,675 exactly one year ago (and S7 ranked started early, in December 2016). I'll see where it is in a week.

I bet the missions are pulling people into ranked. I know it did for me and my "usual" crew.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    4-6, placed Bronze 5.

O well, time to play 60 more trash games just to get to B4.

Daddy Swain is here.

I'm not real impressed with the kit, honestly? It seems fine. He's very pretty now, though.

Me elsewhere:
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    For my placement game present I would very much like just one support that actually knows what they're doing.

Targeted spells drawing minion aggro is gonna be interesting.

butts
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    HotSwain is not something I really needed in my life.

HotSwain is not something I really needed in my life.

Turns out I absolutely needed it though! I already thought Swain had a really attractive concept so I dig that he's hot now.

Curious to see if he's still limping? Where's his cane? I thought his gait was interesting and unique, and it was kinda cool conceptually to have this partially immobilized guy on a chaotic battlefield that emphasizes athleticism.

Unclear why his new kit is somehow better than his old one and why it needed a rework, but I'll give it a try for sure.

Damn, I feel like I dusted the pirate skin instead of cashing it in...so many regrets...hopefully that's not the case and I did decide to enable it...

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I'm catching up on Korean LCS and I just got to Jin Air vs SKT....I think I may have made a grievous mistake.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.