As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jean Ralphio is one of my favourite characters in anything ever. Watching him sing "I'm the woooooorst!" into Ben's ear is a treasured moment.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Ben Schwartz is so good at being an annoying douchebag.

Have you seen him in House of Lies? He's peak asshole in that.

• NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    knitdan wrote: »
    I have been watching Parks and Rec

Aziz Ansari's character is insufferable and doubly so when his white twin Jean Ralphio shows up

It is fun watching them get mocked for their insufferability though

The cool thing about that show is that there is actual real character development. Tom is the one that probably changes the most. By the last season he becomes really kind of sympathetic and a great character to watch.

Plus, i'll never tire of saying "But rrrRRRrooOOOOoooooonnnn!" in a singy annoying voice when i dont want to do something that i know i have to do.

Ninjeff on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    One thing I do love is the unabashed positivity of the show. There's very little snark and cynicism, as opposed to something like The Office where it was their bread and butter and any moment of earnestness felt kind of strange.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    One thing I do love is the unabashed positivity of the show. There's very little snark and cynicism, as opposed to something like The Office where it was their bread and butter and any moment of earnestness felt kind of strange.

This is the best thing Michael Schur and his co-minions have brought to TV. He makes really funny shit that is also just coincidentally chock full of kindness, joy, and positivity (see Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place as well).

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm glad Ben Schwartz hasn't been pigeonholed into the Jean Ralphio character. Jason Manzukas ends up being Rafi in every role which after listening to him on podcasts seems like a waste.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I've been re-watching Parks and Rec as well, and Season 2 is kinda rough nowadays with Tom and Andy both engaging in some seriously creepy behavior towards the ladies. Jokes like "Blackout, by Dennis Feinstein, voted one of the top 100 ways to trick someone into sex" are just awful today. Fortunately the show really takes off once Ben and Chris show up at the end of the season. Seasons 3 and 4 are just perfect television.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    One of my favorite recurring jokes on Parks and Rec is anytime Tom has to make a presentation, he always goes way overboard with lights and music and strobes and glitter and elaborate power points.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm glad Ben Schwartz hasn't been pigeonholed into the Jean Ralphio character. Jason Manzukas ends up being Rafi in every role which after listening to him on podcasts seems like a waste.

But hearing Jason Manzokas say awful shit is wonderful

But hearing Jason Manzokas say awful shit is wonderful

Absolutely I just like him a lot better when he's coming from an even keeled starting point like on something like "How Did This Get Made" than the usually over the top characters he gets.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I'm glad Ben Schwartz hasn't been pigeonholed into the Jean Ralphio character.

I'm not really sure he hasn't? He's done a variety of stuff since, but in terms of big tv/movie roles, I don't think he's been entirely divorced from his P&R role. I do think he has the skill to do other things.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    Bogart wrote: »
    Jean Ralphio is one of my favourite characters in anything ever. Watching him sing "I'm the woooooorst!" into Ben's ear is a treasured moment.

his whole tick of singing random sentences is possibly the most annoying thing ever devised

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I just don't know how any of Jason Mantzoukas' roles could ever top Chef Luigi Lugosi

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

his whole tick of singing random sentences is possibly the most annoying thing ever devised

I think my favorite is him singing "Technically I'm ho- oOoOomeleeesss" as he passes out on the P&R couch.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Entertainment 720!

Where dreams come, to come true!

LMAO

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I'm only 15 minutes into Planet of the Monsters and am absolutely loving it. Since this is harder sci-fi than the Godzilla franchise has ever been there's also a lot of interesting setting building. My favorite detail is that the human refugees from Earth are accompanied by two alien races, both of which promised to save humanity from the monsters while actually wanting to conquer Earth after the deaths of their own home planets. Both failed and were forced to collaborate with humanity on an escape plan. One of these races seems to have supplied most of the advanced tech, while the other practices a cult they had originally made-up to convince humanity they were divine and is still following it even now. The icing on the cake is that both races are very loosely based on ones from the 60's and 70's Godzilla series.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Watching the trailer for Netflix Godzilla it looked like space Attack on Titan, which I'm not really knocking because Attack on Titan is one of the few anime I like, but at the same time that show works with how willing it is to sacrifice characters. I kind of don't think this new show would be willing to gank Godzilla rather soon and will become some kind of Lost-show hybrid.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Watching the trailer for Netflix Godzilla it looked like space Attack on Titan, which I'm not really knocking because Attack on Titan is one of the few anime I like, but at the same time that show works with how willing it is to sacrifice characters. I kind of don't think this new show would be willing to gank Godzilla rather soon and will become some kind of Lost-show hybrid.

It would definitely not be willing to just off Godzilla, but it is written by Gen Urobuchi so you can expect some character deaths and a lot of emotional knife twisting.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Just started season 2 of Peaky Blinders and damn, this cast is something. And the music choices just seem to work.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So I've actually started using my Amazon Prime subscription for streaming and there is some good stuff. I was glad to see that the first 8 seasons of Curb your Enthusiasm are on Prime. I also recently watched Jean Claude Van Johnson and it was amazing, I was pleasantly surprised how well it turned out. JCVD played it straight but it was willing to take risks with some of the comedic elements that maybe another actor from JCVD's "generation" might not be comfortable with. Bosch is also good so far. If you like "spy thrillers" I would recommend the Worricker Trilogy (again) but if you lean more towards the Bourne crowd and no the John le Carre` crowd you may be bored. Speaking of, there are a couple adaptations of le Carre` novels on Prime IIRC. I also really liked Electric Dreams, there wasn't a single episode that I didn't like in some way. I'm also looking forward to Jack Ryan because allegedly Krasinski claims that he took inspiration from the Clancy movies with Ford and those were the best film version of Ryan.

NSDFRand on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Joel McHale is getting a talk show on Netflix called The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale. It seems like it's basically going to be The Soup 2.0, which is good, but if it becomes another talkshow that's a meh bullseye. Like seriously, did you know Harry Connick Jr. of all people has a talk show? Well now you know!

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I kind of don't think this new show would be willing to gank Godzilla rather soon and will become some kind of Lost-show hybrid.
    You might be somewhat surprised...

Real spoilers:
    They do succeed in killing Godzilla...'s son. The original Godzilla emerges soon after, having grown to 1000 feet tall over the millenia and becoming so powerful that his roar and whipping tail are more devastating than his son's atomic ray.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

I couldn't even make it through the trailer, the hyper-cliche anime crap is just way too overwhelmingly strong in virtually every line, plus it's combined with some pretty third-rate VA work. I'll force myself to try it just in case it's a bad trailer, but man, that's a couple minutes of some of the worst advertisement I've seen for a Netflix show.

Though I guess the show could be entertaining if it's mostly Godzilla jumping up and down on all the overdramatic characters doing stupid shit and wondering why they keep losing by doing stupid shit.

EDIT: Holy crap, this Netflix Godzilla thing is terrible. Awful animation quality, awful framerate (why even bother fucking using CG everything if you render at a shitty 24 FPS? Just spend the damn render time so it doesn't look choppy and bad.), terrible writing, and equally terrible VA work. And Godzilla looks like total ass; it's pretty lame for the titular character to get rendered so cheaply, especially considering he doesn't hardly do anything. A good 80% of the film is spent talking about the same crap repeatedly, with a fair helping of the main character making angry one-sided statements at windows and whatnot. And don't forget at least a half-dozen different situations where somebody randomly yells while doing something or yells somebody's name.

I think my favorite bit was how the movie has a flashback to itself ten minutes into the film. Film starts with about five minutes about the current situation (about half of which is angry main character speechiness), followed by about five minutes of backstory which ends with the results of the current situation that we just saw five minutes ago. So ten minutes into the film and we've already seen the same sequence twice. Then we spend the next 30-40 minutes in committee meetings, another twenty minutes traveling, and then finally reach the back end of the film before anything interesting happens.

The setup isn't bad at all, but Netflix should've hired some actual writers for the show, along with an actual art team.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I kind of don't think this new show would be willing to gank Godzilla rather soon and will become some kind of Lost-show hybrid.
    You might be somewhat surprised...

Real spoilers:
    They do succeed in killing Godzilla...'s son. The original Godzilla emerges soon after, having grown to 1000 feet tall over the millenia and becoming so powerful that his roar and whipping tail are more devastating than his son's atomic ray.

Also, there's a post-credits scene at the very tail end of the 'episode.'

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited January 2018
    Man I was not ready for Made in Abyss to go full FMA dark around ep10

*Edit* I didn't realize there were only 13 episodes currently, that's a bummer.

Doodmann on
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    It doesn't stop getting dark, it just keeps going.

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I should re-watch P&R too. Although I wonder if it will be weird, because April is my favorite character, and these days I associate Aubrey Plaza very strongly with her role in Legion.

MSL59.jpg
    All the Jean ralphio love but nothing for poor Oren?

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I love Jon Hamm's little appearences in Parks and Rec too

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

I love Hamm on Toast of London.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »

I love Hamm on Toast of London.

That episode not only had Jon Hamm but also BRIAN BLESSED as Toast’s father.

Between those two and Matt Berry, it’s the most ham(m) that’s ever been contained on a single episode of television

Captain Tragedy on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Finally finished up season 2 of Travelers and with the way it ended I can't help but think:
    It's all part of the Grand Plan. We just saw how the director can spit out do over's on command when needed, so it must be OK with this. Like the Travelers can't stay hidden forever. Of course, that kind of kills the show and implies nothing can ever go wrong, but this is what happens with time travel.

As to the big development Kathrine has a point, that was always fucked up. David should get over it he fell in love with Marcy 2.0 and 3.0, not the original. Jeff is an abusive asshole, fuck that guy.

Wonder if Grace got messed up with the conscious transfer machine.

And that's hardly a 100% full proof plan as the first thing he does is go to his son. The director is supposed to be super smart, not hard to work that one out.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Finally finished up season 2 of Travelers and with the way it ended I can't help but think:
    It's all part of the Grand Plan. We just saw how the director can spit out do over's on command when needed, so it must be OK with this. Like the Travelers can't stay hidden forever. Of course, that kind of kills the show and implies nothing can ever go wrong, but this is what happens with time travel.

As to the big development Kathrine has a point, that was always fucked up. David should get over it he fell in love with Marcy 2.0 and 3.0, not the original. Jeff is an abusive asshole, fuck that guy.

Wonder if Grace got messed up with the conscious transfer machine.

And that's hardly a 100% full proof plan as the first thing he does is go to his son. The director is supposed to be super smart, not hard to work that one out.
    I think the show is trying to show that the Director is not as smart as it thinks it is. 17 Minutes was only necessary because it colossally fucked up, the changes don't seem to be helping the future at all, etc. I expect the next season will involve people in the present wanting to help the future but also questioning blindly following a machine nobody understands (and susceptible to man in the middle attacks).

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Awful animation quality, awful framerate (why even bother fucking using CG everything if you render at a shitty 24 FPS? Just spend the damn render time so it doesn't look choppy and bad.), .

I always like shedding some light on this.

First, it's probably 12 frames per second that you're seeing. Traditional hand drawn animation is often at 12fps (with occasional extra frames to bring it up to 24fps in action sequences). They're not trying to save render time. They're trying to make it feel more like traditional animation.

Additionally, they probably mix 2d animation in with the CG. They'll have people actually re-draw aspects of the characters by hand when the CG rigs aren't capable of doing what they want them to. That's where it would become much more of a pain if they kept it at a steady 24fps.

In the end, most animators seem to prefer animation at 12fps, while a lot of the rest of people always want more frame rate. It's kinda like that TruVision crap on new TV's that interpolates extra frames, or when they shot the hobbit at 48fps. It feels weird to people that are used to something else.

NotYou on
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    NotYou wrote: »
    Awful animation quality, awful framerate (why even bother fucking using CG everything if you render at a shitty 24 FPS? Just spend the damn render time so it doesn't look choppy and bad.), .

First, it's probably 12 frames per second that you're seeing. Traditional hand drawn animation is often at 12fps (with occasional extra frames to bring it up to 24fps in action sequences). They're not trying to save render time. They're trying to make it feel more like traditional animation.

Additionally, they probably mix 2d animation in with the CG. They'll have people actually re-draw aspects of the characters by hand when the CG rigs aren't capable of doing what they want them to. That's where it would become much more of a pain if they kept it at a steady 24fps.

In the end, most animators seem to prefer animation at 12fps, while a lot of the rest of people always want more frame rate. It's kinda like that TruVision crap on new TV's that interpolates extra frames, or when they shot the hobbit at 48fps. It feels weird to people that are used to something else.

No this one is legitimately that they rendered it at a lower FPS and then stretched it when editing it. The pause between frames is visible when watching it.

12FPS is for dealing with in-between frames in traditional video production, but when rendering 3D animation, you can choose to render it at a higher FPS. The thing is though, whether you do animation on the 2s or on the 1s you put the frames together in the final edit so that the transition between frames isn't quite that visible. You include all the frames when animating on 1s and double each frame when animating on 2s.

Also there's some telltale signs of cutting corners on the animation, like not animating phonemes (makes it easy to translate because they could literally be saying anything), and limited facial animation.

Dedwrekka on
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Altered Carbon, cyberpunk series adapted from the book of the same title, is gonna be available on Netflix at the beginning of february.

I really hope it will be good, and not another book adaptation that changes almost everything for the sake of being different. Trailer looks good at least, even though Im aware that trailers almost always look better than movies and series themselves.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Altered Carbon, cyberpunk series adapted from the book of the same title, is gonna be available on Netflix at the beginning of february.

I really hope it will be good, and not another book adaptation that changes almost everything for the sake of being different. Trailer looks good at least, even though Im aware that trailers almost always look better than movies and series themselves.

I haven't read the books, I have heard they've done some major tinkering with various elements.

Harry Dresden on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »

I haven't read the books, I have heard they've done some major tinkering with various elements.

There's some standard Richard K. Morgan questionable shit in there so I wouldn't be surprised to see that.

I also imagine some changes based on how they want to set it up as a series.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »

No this one is legitimately that they rendered it at a lower FPS and then stretched it when editing it. The pause between frames is visible when watching it.

12FPS is for dealing with in-between frames in traditional video production, but when rendering 3D animation, you can choose to render it at a higher FPS. The thing is though, whether you do animation on the 2s or on the 1s you put the frames together in the final edit so that the transition between frames isn't quite that visible. You include all the frames when animating on 1s and double each frame when animating on 2s.

Also there's some telltale signs of cutting corners on the animation, like not animating phonemes (makes it easy to translate because they could literally be saying anything), and limited facial animation.

My issue is that, in an era of cheap processing, it's pretty inexcusable to willingly let the animation look like such crap. People make stunning CG pieces with their home PCs these days; it's no longer a huge time and money commitment to let something bake long enough to look decent.

As for intentionally keeping the FPS down at 12 to emulate old animation, well, that's pretty stupid. It looks like cheap garbage, especially considering it would look fine if they would just spend the extra day or two rendering. It would be like a Western animator intentionally aping the shitty old animation of Scooby-Doo just to look more "authentic"; everybody knows it looks like crap, so why would anyone ever want their work to try and look like that?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The limiting of FPS is very much a Japanese-centric "aesthetic" problem in trying to "be like" traditional 2D animation, which is like... why bother trying to replicate a limitation, especially when it results in a worse-looking product?

This discussion has been closed.