As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come post pictures of your [Gunpla] & other scale models in this thread

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    A friend just got back from Japan and brought me a gundam gift, because he's awesome. It's a gacha from the Mobile Suit Ensemble line. Not a gunpla really, but it does have parts on sprues. Kind of halfway between a Converge and a model kit, I guess?

Anyway, it's the 00 Gundam Trans Am colors. And now I'm looking online at what else is in this line, because it's pretty cool!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    huh, those look neat

:0 and there's a woundwort! :D

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    huh, those look neat

:0 and there's a woundwort! :D

Yeah, I'm considering getting the set with the Nu Gundam, Kampfer, and Woundwort. That Kampfer is a great rendition of the design, and if you get the full set, it has two guns, two launchers, two grenades, and chain mines. Looks raddd.

You have to be careful when putting them together, since the joints are designed to attach in one way only. I finally figured it out after putting my thumbs through some pain.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    So for my wedding last weekend I got a Zaku II head groom's cake and my half of our wedding topper was an SD Wing Gundam. I will upload pictures as soon as we get them all. The Zaku head was a little deformed but it was definitely unique looking compared to the other cakes (instead of two big cakes we did a lot of smaller cakes).

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Congrats!

Random question, but are the left over sprues recyclable? Or do they go with the trash?

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Recyclable :P

48013f66ab2617d37b7ca293738270f8--gundam-runner.jpg

(you actually can recycle them it's fine)

e: tho doing some further reading, it may vary locally

also turns out Bandai has an 'Ecopla' line of kits made from recycled plastic

200905202017121.jpg

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Gunpla Expo Australia 2018 is very small, there are a lot of people and only one cash register

• Options
    I got a picture of both cakes but the file is too large and I'm in transit for the next day. I will upload Sunday after I can edit the pic. The Wing is actually not a Gunpla it's an SD action figure from the early 2000s that my sister in law found in a thrift store among a handful of other SD figures and bought for me.

• Options
    LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
    Went to Gundam Base Tokyo tonight. The full sized Unicorn is cool, and the 5 minute transformation sequence is pretty cool.

Here's some pictures of the Unicorn Statue.
    3bekomq071fz.jpg

c1rzikbebuya.jpg

btted22dyavw.jpg

Also picked the Gundam Base version of the Unicorn RG, so, one more on my backlog. Whee!

• Options
    Finally finished my spaceship!

DTiN4g8VAAAdvXl.jpg
    DTiN6ujUQAADk0B.jpg
    DTiN84LVoAASB1q.jpg
    DTiN-5NVAAAcOqN.jpg
    DTiOB_fVoAAlkee.jpg
    DTiOEZxUQAA-upr.jpg
    DTiOG94VwAIi4d3.jpg
    DTiOJO2UMAAvMW3.jpg
    DTiOfu9VoAEE-_U.jpg
    DTiOhyQVAAA4aU8.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2018
    whoa, great job on all the control panels and stuff!

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    That is a star wars-ass ship interior and I love it. Fantastic job!

• Options
    I'm still not quite as good at painting as i once was, but i do remember that you can make up for a hell of a lot of technical deficiencies by using striking contrasts

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I'm still not quite as good at painting as i once was, but i do remember that you can make up for a hell of a lot of technical deficiencies by using striking contrasts

It's a really sharp color scheme.

I was showing it to my dad after he'd talked about laser-cut wood models showing up in his hobby (model trains), and he was really impressed with your detail work on the consoles and such.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Finally finished my spaceship!
    DTiOfu9VoAEE-_U.jpg
    DTiOhyQVAAA4aU8.jpg

Really love these last two pictures.
    Every other time I've seen pictures of this kit, they're at an angle that makes it look like the cockpit is just barely wide enough to fit the two seats in, and it was driving me a little nuts trying to figure out how the crew was supposed to get to the seats from the interior of the ship since there didn't seem like there'd be room enough to climb over the backs of the seats... I mean, the rest of the ship is designed with so much care and thought put towards looking usable that the cockpit situation seemed like a horrible oversight.

But now I see there's extra room there allowing the pilot and co-pilot to get to their stations. Still probably a bit of a squeeze, but logical and physically doable.
    I don't know why that makes me feel better, but for some reason knowing that the tiny imaginary dudes can get to the steering wheel of their tiny imaginary space ship does.

• Options
    There are a lot of good lasercut models, but i was so happy to find one like this at a 28mm scale
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

It's a really sharp color scheme.

I was showing it to my dad after he'd talked about laser-cut wood models showing up in his hobby (model trains), and he was really impressed with the detail work on the consoles and such.

Yeah, a lot of that is just from using the etch setting on the cutter, so it just carves sruff in, but there's also some real creative workings with layering for stuff like the buttons and lebers and wiring. It actually comes with some extra cardboard bits that looks like wiring and i'm tempted to run some along the floor maybe, to make it look even messier.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Zaku is a little off model but I'm sure the baker isn't familiar with the source. The other big cake is from the other bride and groom (it was a double wedding, twins) who did one big cake instead of a bunch of smaller cakes.
    ryi9bagznro9.jpg

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Got my latest haul in, MG Astray Red Frame Mars Package, MG Exia Avalanche, and MG Jesta Cannon, all by Daban and all from Gundammodelcenter. From order placement to delivery at my door was 6 days, which is amazing. Only the Jesta Cannon is a straight up Bandai copy.

Unfortunately, I have promised myself to clean up some of my un-detailed kits and I'm currently working through the MG Unicorn Full Armor Ver Ka, which has well over 400 dry transfers and 300 stickers to apply. I'm about halfway done and haven't even touched the Unicorn itself, just the accessories. The ship looks badass when detailed up, I'll post a pic this weekend.

• Options
    Two more kits down, and I head back to the States in a week. I might be able to sneak the MG Jesta before I leave, but not sure.

qau8bpomtwm7.jpg
    685t69unyezw.jpg

So glad that completed kits take up much less room than their sprues do.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    G7LQdpg.jpg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    It really bugs me that those aren't in sequential order.

• Options
    zgQxOPBJ1vsXgJ12y89fBhMYCcFnoJ9XZtqe3xgaDCs.jpg?w=531&s=963c17102aa21e6cc8f61451fd84dd80

Reddit is a gold mine today

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    G7LQdpg.jpg

In general, the kits have gotten better year over year, but that 1998 Perfect Grade is a seriously good looking figure as far as I'm concerned. The 2013 Real Grade is also good and I think on a certain level it's better than the PG from 15 years earlier, but it's almost too detailed for its size.

• Options
    IMO the best looking RX-78-2 is the MG 3.0, which is basically the RG except you build the inner frame and it's in a scale it's not so delicate.

• Options
    Its funny seeing them have trouble deciding how big it is

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Last kit in my Japan trip squad is done. With about 8 more to build from the trip when I get home.

3ez60e9pu9mt.jpg

It's a little dark, I'm going to try and get better pictures of all my kits when I get home and can try out this lightbox setup I found.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Told y'all this wasn't a P-Bandai release (because they'll have the Tallgeese II/III as P-Bandai releases)

rg-tallgeese-I-EW%2B%25282%2529.jpg

• Options
    Also, that new HG Leo is nice and cheap

hgac-oz-06ms-leo.jpg

• Options
    welp i am absolutely getting the P-III

the HG talgeese III was one of the first models i had as a kid

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Gonna get a couple Leos for my first kits of the year :biggrin:

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    That was a joke on my part, they have not said they're putting out a RG Tallgeese II/III :P

SORRY

• Options
    guess i'll hafta get the MG then.....

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yep, Tallgeese is gonna be my first RG.

So excited for that Leo.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I'm glad to see more Wing stuff. If they do another OZ grunt suit this year I hope it's an Aries. Speaking of Wing, I built my first MG this past two weeks, the EW Heavy Arms. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow. I really like the kit, it was a lot of fun to build and the detailing is amazing.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I bought an incredibly daunting kit on a whim because we happened to get them in at work

OTVjNuZ.jpg

I'm terrified of this thing, probably gonna work on some other models I've got lined up before I really dig into it

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I bought an incredibly daunting kit on a whim because we happened to get them in at work

OTVjNuZ.jpg

I'm terrified of this thing, probably gonna work on some other models I've got lined up before I really dig into it

Put a towel down around your work area, because there are gonna be some tiny bits in that thing.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lots of tiny moving bits at that, since it has a transformation gimmick with the psychoframe activation

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

OTVjNuZ.jpg

I just finished building this recently! It actually wasn’t all that bad, and it is a VERY cool kit

This discussion has been closed.