As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Concussions are a State of Mind

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. Didn't think about another Patriots White House visit.

That'll be cool and good.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    at least there was like some sort of plausible deniability before. but now? don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. that game was a joke that the jaguars should have won by 20

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    You do realize it’s impossible to rig an NFL game like that right

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    I don't think it was rigged cause that's crazy...but it's totally possible to rig it so the refs only make favorable calls for one team.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I don't think it was rigged cause that's crazy...but it's totally possible to rig it so the refs only make favorable calls for one team.

That’s more plausible but you still need, you know, actual proof.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    you mean like a game where refs only make favorable calls for one team?

like the one that just happened between the patriots and jaguars?

I have eyes, and I watched the damn game, and like I said don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. that game was clearly decided by bad calls and mysterious no calls and happenings that for some reason all went the patriots way. they always go the patriots way. up to the refs in a close game? going to go the patriots way and they're going to win. it was a funny joke before but at this point, nope. there's too much to say otherwise.

Jars on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's not rigged but there is a clear bias in the way Patriots games are called. It's happens way too often to be just a coincidence.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Lol cowboys that gives me joy in a soulless world

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I forgot to mention that one of my bosses is an Eagles fan so today is gonna be fun.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that one of my bosses is an Eagles fan so today is gonna be fun.

I work for the state of Minnesota.

Everyone is going to be sad today.

Sad skol

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    you mean like a game where refs only make favorable calls for one team?

like the one that just happened between the patriots and jaguars?

I have eyes, and I watched the damn game, and like I said don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.

does this mean if i’m honest and just tell you i’m pissing on you then it’s cool

EzUAYcn.png
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's active rigging so much as the Patriots reputation being so deeply ingrained in the collective football subconscious that the refs are reluctant to throw a flag on them in high-stakes, high-pressure situations because if the Patriots are doing it, it probably isn't a penalty since they're too Disciplined and Well-Coached to do that.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Also Bill has their families and if the Patriots lose they will never see their loved ones again.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    the eagles are a truly fantastic overall team and it's a real shame wentz got hurt

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    This super bowl is going to be awesome as long as Foles doesn't shit himself. Disappointed in what a no show the Vikings were but the eagles defense is real as hell

• simosimo Registered User regular
    patriots ranks in the playoffs, penalty yardage per game (lower numbers are better, half point for ties)

data from http://www.nflpenalties.com/

2009: 4.5 out of 12 yards called against the patriots, 12th out of 12 yards called for them
    2010: 7th against, 7th for
    2011: 4th against, 5th for
    2012: 9th against, 7th for
    2013: 3rd against, 8th for
    2014: 7th against, 6th for
    2015: 2.5 against, 7th for
    2016: 1st against, 4th for
    2017: 2nd against, 2nd for

average: 4.44 against, 6.44 for

basically above average in calls against them, almost perfectly average in calls for them

i know it's not necessarily as reliable as the unbiased eye test happening in this thread, but there you go

bugss2.jpg
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    the eagles are a truly fantastic overall team and it's a real shame wentz got hurt

It really sucks that he got hurt, but he’s basically another QB coach for Foles in the sidelines now. So at least he’s still helping in a small way.

Penalties also require context. A ref isn't going to be afraid to toss a flag if the Patriots are clearly winning.

Noone wants to be responsible for them losing a game because of a questionable flag though.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Gotta choose between the Pats and a team with a fan base that throws batteries at people.

man

Penalties also require context. A ref isn't going to be afraid to toss a flag if the Patriots are clearly winning.

Noone wants to be responsible for them losing a game because of a questionable flag though.

au contraire

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I'm pulling for the Eagles at this point because the alternative is somehow worse

don't vote for Nader

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    I'm rooting for Philly because...i have no real choice here.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm like 70% rooting for Philly. It's too cool a story to not want them to finally win one.

The 30% is because if we win then Pittsburgh has to shut the fuck up about being the only team with 6.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Also, I think Raijin has it bang on the money about calls for/against the Pats.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    How much money did Keenum cost himself yesterday

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    I think he'd be a decent fit in New York with shurmur if they do end up deciding to move on from Eli

C8Ft8GE.jpg

This is true but only if they aren't playing the panthers

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    There were 8 penalties called on the Jaguars. There was 1 called on the Patriots. That officiating was slightly disgraceful, sorry Pats fans.
    E A G L E S EAGLES

FUCKIN YEAH MAN

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I forgot I did another pool at work for the Super Bowl so I guess I can't completely ignore the game. I'll just have to watch the score board

I don't think Keenum is going to NY. They are going to keep Eli and draft a QB.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Gotta choose between the Pats and a team with a fan base that throws batteries at people.

man

I choose

NEITHER

I choose... ENTROPY

I chose....RAPTURE

edited January 2018
    I choose an endless tie

3-3 at the end of regulation and neither team can score through 11 overtimes until they have to call the game and decide that both teams are losers.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I choo-choo-choose you.

sig.gif
    This right here

https://deadspin.com/lets-see-how-eagles-fans-are-dealing-with-this-1822291947

I can't root for the same team as these fans.

I’m in on the Eagles 100%. Chances for a SB win don’t come around often and I want Wentz to get a ring.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I can root for Torrey Smith and Malcolm Jenkins. That's about it.

This discussion has been closed.