As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SE++ Writes a Movie] Mortal Kombat: A Cinematic Universe

18910111214»

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    also, we need the magic to be dirty, gritty, and weird like in King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and The Huntsman

I'd kinda prefer no real explanation for the magic, or at least not a dense one

Like, I'd rather sub zero can just kind of shoot ice

Also @Zonugal I just thought of something

Are we making scorpion's spear like, part of him or an actual rope he throws

I'm ok with either as long as it's not that weird snake thing

Actual rope! Actual rope! Actual rope!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    also, we need the magic to be dirty, gritty, and weird like in King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and The Huntsman

Thank god

That still might be the most bizarre choice they made with those original movies

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

oh i wasn't talking about an explanation for the magic, just like, the general aesthetic

for instance, if Quan Chi were to throw out one of his skulls, it should be like grungy and green and dripping with like spectral viscera

and Scorpion's flames should be like, oily and have thick black smoke coming off them

maybe live-action Kirby Dots for Kano's eye

that kind of thing

Joolander on
    oh! that reminds me

Does Kano already have the cyber eye, or does he lose his eye over the course of the first film?

I'm leaning towards him loosing the eye in his fight with Nitara, but I'd be open to other arguments

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    On the one hand/eye, it's fun to maim your kharacters

on the other, there's a lot to be said for a dude just showing up with a cybernetic eye. it's instant world-building with zero pages of scripting required!

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    oh! that reminds me

Does Kano already have the cyber eye, or does he lose his eye over the course of the first film?

I'm leaning towards him loosing the eye in his fight with Nitara, but I'd be open to other arguments

He shows up with a cybernetic eye and nobody questions it or asks about it.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Also Zonugal I just thought of something

Why not both? Actual rope and spear while he's human, then when he comes back as a skeleton ninja it's a part of him. Granted, I'm not sure which part of the burning skeleton ninja translates to rope and spear, but I'll leave that up to the creative types.

On the general aesthetic of magic talk, you could make that vary based on a character by character basis. Might help to inform the character a bit.
    Like, sure Quan Chi: necromancer, sorcerer, ass hat and generally all around bad dude, he gets nasty, gnarly looking grungy skull fireballs. Scorpion, burning ninja skeleton from hell gets magic effects that look like an oil well going up in flame.

But for Liu Kang or Raiden, that kind of nasty ugly aesthetic doesn't seem to fit the character.
    Kang's fireballs could, instead of having that oily smoky look of a wild uncontrolled burn, instead have a far more controlled aesthetic, like a camp fire burning well dried wood, a candle flame or a freshly struck match. It's power, and it's power that's controlled and mastered, but if that control slips, it could run wild...

Might be fun to play with when you start going through different ice ninjas as well. Maybe one has ice that is black/brown, looks like frozen sewer water, just corrupted and filthy to the core, leaves a trail of black water behind after it melts (think icicles on a car after driving through snow), another has ice that looks like pure water, nearly transparent with a matrix of cracks running through it. Maybe a third, older and more experienced Sub Zero has blue ice, representing his age and experience. Granted, I don't know the exact ins and outs of Kombat Lore, but I seem to recall that there are a number of different Sub Zeroes with different motivations to their fighting that could be reflected in their powers.

edited January 2018

on the other, there's a lot to be said for a dude just showing up with a cybernetic eye. it's instant world-building with zero pages of scripting required!
    oh! that reminds me

hmmm

can it get ripped out during the movie? the cybernetic eye, I mean. like he wins the fight with Nitara, but his cyber eye gets crushed or broken somehow

just to add maiming to the shit-sandwich Kano get served during the film?

Also, I feel like Johnny should mention it, or at least make jokes about it

Joolander on
    see317 wrote: »
    Also Zonugal I just thought of something

Why not both? Actual rope and spear while he's human, then when he comes back as a skeleton ninja it's a part of him. Granted, I'm not sure which part of the burning skeleton ninja translates to rope and spear, but I'll leave that up to the creative types.

I think if his spear/kunai/whatever changes at all, it would be from rope as a human to a chain as a skelly ninja, but that would be as far as I would take it

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

oh! that reminds me

hmmm

can it get ripped out during the movie? the cybernetic eye, I mean. like he wins the fight with Nitara, but his cyber eye gets crushed or broken somehow

just to add maiming to the shit-sandwich Kano get served during the film?

Also, I feel like Johnny should mention it, or at least make jokes about it

im down for Kano having his already-cybernetic eye ripped out and replaced every movie

or rather, the quality of its replacement materials changes every movie and informs us about his hierarchy/station within his current alliance

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    If you're discussing cybernetics for Kano now, what about Kabal and his gas mask? Or will he just show up with a mask on and no real backstory because he's expendable and gang/cult members with cool tech is just a thing that exists?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

If you're discussing cybernetics for Kano now, what about Kabal and his gas mask? Or will he just show up with a mask on and no real backstory because he's expendable and gang/cult members with cool tech is just a thing that exists?

He will get that in a later movie after he is mauled to near-death by Goro in the first film.

edited January 2018

I was under the impression that he would show up sans gas mask to get Goro'd, then come back with the gas mask/assorted other cybernetics in a sequel.

edit: That does require the question of who put the implants in though.
    Black dragon? Doesn't seem like they'd have a huge array of full implants/medical staff there, world wide criminal organization trying to stay under the radar and all that. Unless maybe the higher ups know more about the tournament than they've let on to the people they sent to the fights to the death.
    The Lin Kuei maybe? They might be there in more force, probably more open about the chances of getting horribly murdered in the Mortal Kombat tournament to their contestant. Maybe as a prototype to the cyber ninjas. Maybe they could cryogenically freeze the guy (maybe several of them) and take him/them to their secret mad scientist lab.
    Could be outworlders did it? They typically go for more magic then technology, but maybe some small techno-cult sect or some other realm could do it?

see317 on
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Does Johnny start with his shades or not

sig.gif
    SimBen wrote: »

Johnny starts with his shades, ends with his shades, but somehow loses them for a good portion of the movie in the middle.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »

Johnny starts with his shades, ends with his shades, but somehow loses them for a good portion of the movie in the middle.

Johnny repeatedly loses his shades and pulls a fresh pair out of his pockets every single time.

sig.gif
    Johnny has lent his name to a line of sunglasses so that he can get unlimited free pairs

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Everytime Johnny meets someone new, he should just hand out an autographed headshot, like it's his business card.

What each character does with it can vary. Like he meets a random Takartan, and just stabs his photo on the bladearm.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Everytime Johnny meets someone new, he should just hand out an autographed headshot, like it's his business card.

What each character does with it can vary. Like he meets a random Takartan, and just stabs his photo on the bladearm.

so I watched the movie today, and Johnny just straight up drops this after he makes Scorpion explode (by cutting his head in half, natually)

Johnny_Cage%27s_Autograph.jpg

and the way the scene is shot, its not really clear if it was intentional, or if Johnny just keeps those in his shirt, and one just kind of flutered out as he dove away