As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] 2017 goes to 8,760 hour time limit draw

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I'm a bit behind, Mean Gene looks like he's been dead for years.
    Wish he got to talk more though

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This was a crowd that was about to riot a few minutes ago, and now a bit of nostalgia is enough.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Ugh this is awful, this nostalgia shit does NOT work for me and I am the worlds biggest NAO mark.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    X Pac for GM

• Options
    Sucks that Nash and Bret couldnt make it to this cause of health shit.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Hell of a time to go to commercial, guys.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    cut from Razor?

hey yo?

• Options
    OH SHIT

• Options
    IM HAVING A HEART ATTACK

REPEAST

I AM LOSING MY FUCKIGN MIND

• Options
    is this gonna be wrestlers court for stealing gimmicks

• Options
    Monday Night Revival

• Options
    Wait how long is this RAW?

Where is Brock and co?

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

Where is Brock and co?

YOU FUCKS WILL WATCH 6 HOURS OF RAW AND LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Where is Brock and co?

Whomst

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    IM HAVING A HEART ATTACK

REPEAST

I AM LOSING MY FUCKIGN MIND

Rep East? Re Peast? Repeas T?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    what

• Options
    my god what is with these weird short matches?

• Options
    I need Finn in DX

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

Overstuffed show.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
  • Options
    I need Braun vs Boogeyman

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

I mean I wasn't exactly expecting any match of the year contenders tonight...why have wrestling on a show celebrating 25 years of RAW?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So I thinks Finn is gonna continue to be fine in WWE.

• Options
    edited January 2018

Don Callis told a story on his podcast recently about Kawato being invited to spar with Minoru Suzuki. Thus Kevin Kelly and Don Callis and presumably several other concerned spectators witnessed Suzuki tap this kid out several times over the course of 45 minutes without even losing his breath. At the start the next opening tag match Kawato comes out of the gate hot, goes after Liger hard and gets over huge with the crowd. After the show he has the energy to help break down the ring and do everything else expected of trainees. All of this was apparently because Suzuki told him that if he didn't go in hard on Liger and get himself over the next training session would be worse.

I hope Kawato spends his entire career being as intense as possible out of fear that Minoru Suzuki will come after him if he doesn't.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Braun Strowman might just be the most exciting big man since The Undertaker was in his prime.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Braun Strowman might just be the most exciting big man since The Undertaker was in his prime.

He mixes that with the excitement I got from Stone Cold

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Natalya getting Bret's spot in that poker game was cool

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Natalya getting Bret's spot in that poker game was cool

can you explaaaaaaain

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So Raw 25 was a bust huh

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    So Raw 25 was a bust huh

what reviews or reactions are you reading?

I feel like it was exactly what I expected. the only people who will react negatively are people who 1) take the perspective of someone at the manhattan center which, fine, but I wasn't there and didn't spend money so I see no reason to complain with them and 2) people who expected something other than exactly what WWE told them they were getting

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    So Raw 25 was a bust huh

My dude I do not know how you could possibly have come to this conclusion from the last four pages

• Options
    Whippy wrote: »
    So Raw 25 was a bust huh

My dude I do not know how you could possibly have come to this conclusion from the last four pages

I’m reading some pretty harsh comments on it. Mostly dealing with the Manhatten Center stuff.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    So Raw 25 was a bust huh

what reviews or reactions are you reading?

I feel like it was exactly what I expected. the only people who will react negatively are people who 1) take the perspective of someone at the manhattan center which, fine, but I wasn't there and didn't spend money so I see no reason to complain with them and 2) people who expected something other than exactly what WWE told them they were getting

Comments here

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    As someone who had no frame of reference for a lot of what was going on I still thought it was fun, I liked the looser style vs. how structured a normal episode of raw is.

• Options
    sorry for assuming otherwise I just didn't get that sense from anyone in this thread. but what I said re: the manhattan center stands. I'm sure some folks who were there are upset but I personally have no reason to judge the show based on that.

• Options
    Looking at 411Mania, their Raw reviewer Larry Csonka absolutely hated it.

I’ll watch it eventually.

• Options
    May
    oMgPa5f.png

Fuck you! It's May! The month of heels!

Wrestling Dontaku was the typical bland fucking amazing show by New Japan's standards in 2017. Sure 70% of the show being tag matches felt a bit repetitive but part of that was a decent IWGP Heavyweight Tag Triple Threat where War Machine defended against Guerrillas of Destiny and Tencozy. It's great because there's zero chance you can hear them call spots over all the swearing. There was also a title change as Bushi, Evil and Sanada won back the NEVER 6-Man titles. For my money though the real highlight of the show was Kenny Omega and Tomohiro Ishii having a secret Match of the Year contender consisting of brutal V-Triggers, Ishii lariats and Kenny Omega diving off the top rope and over a barricade into the first row. That was a bit scary actually as Ishii was actually in the press area slightly in front of the first row. This was easily the match of the night and proof that The One Winged Angel is a match ender even if Kenny's opponent has a triple reinforced neck. It was a bit of a step down then for Okada to have to drag another three star performance out of Fale in the main event. It was the typical beast slaying affair we've seen from the two in the past in which Fale looked like a monster and Okada sold well enough to keep it interesting. The show concluded with a showdown between Okada and Omega which made it obvious the whole night was booked to set up a rematch, not that anybody minded.

NXT rolled into Chicago's Allstate Arena in front of “we're not telling you how many because it would make Backlash look bad” fans on May 20th. This marked the third year anniversary of TakeOver, traditionally leather is the third anniversary gift so Roderick Strong and Eric Young leathered the shit out of each other in the opening contest with Strong hitting the End of Heartache for the win. It was the right conclusion to a feud based on the idea that Roderick Strong is capable of being interesting if you let him talk about himself and Eric Young is interesting if you let him gargle molten rocks or whatever he does during promos.

Nice young man Tyler Bate had been defending his championship against the likes of Joseph Conners and Mark Andrews but the first real nice young babyface vs snarling dickhead match of the title's history was set for TakeOver Chicago with Pete Dunne as the challenger. It was a match called by the UK announce team meaning the voice of Europe Jim Ross made an appearance. The fifteen minute match was an absolute sprint to pack in as much as possible from start to finish. Bate and Dunne started by showing the world how evolved the British style had become in recent years with technical wrestling and good old school graps. Catch as catch can. Mat wars. Etc. Then gutter dweller Dunne suckered Bate into going outside of the ring where the match transformed into a brawl. The two Brits punched each other in the head so much John Douglas Marquess of Queensberry started to commission new rules for pro wrestling from beyond the grave. The match went into a fantastic finishing sequence with the two men countering each other's finishers and Bate going for a trio of high spots only to be forearmed in the jaw on a suicide dive attempt and dragged back into the ring where Dunne hit the Bitter End. It was quite arguably not only the best match of the night but the best match WWE had in 2017.

Ruby Riot and Nikki Cross tried to dethrone Asuka in a triple threat for the NXT Women's Championship. Key word tried. Hideo Itami had his best match in a long while taking on Bobby Roode for the NXT Championship. It was a hard hitting match Roode only barely escaped that left Hideo embittered and aggressive. That wasn't the main event though as for the first time a match for the NXT Tag Team Championship Titles headlined a TakeOver. The Authors of Pain defended their belts against DIY in a ladder match. The match featured every ladder spot you could think of and several new ones previously undiscovered by ladder scientists. There were dives from ladders, splashes through ladders, dives through giant ladders, even a spot where Gargano shoved Ciampa out of the way of being internally decapitated by a ladder like he was taking a bullet for him. Still all of that wasn't enough to stop the Authors of Pain from pulling Gargano and Ciampa off the belts and hitting a Supercollider before retrieving the titles. Ciampa wasn't exactly understanding about it.

Since DIY's inception fans have been waiting for the Sicilian Psychopath to finally snap and attack the wide eyed innocent one. Gargano would probably be stood there looking around at the crowd smiling like and idiot when Ciampa did it. Yet it was still shocking when exactly that thing happened. As the show started to go off the air Ciampa whipped his now former tag partner into the sharp steel edge of the entrance before dropping him off the stage through some conveniently placed production tables. The whole thing was a such an upsetting finish after such an amazing match at the end of such an amazing show that everybody seemingly forgot Tommaso Ciampa was working the night with a ruptured knee ligament. In fact the surgery to repair his injury would put him out of action until sometime well into the next year. Get well soon Ciampa you piece of shit.

WWE Backlash is here and Shinsuke Nakamura can't legally be considered part of the main roster until he's beaten Dolph Ziggler in a match that should be better than it was. Then it was time for the Usos to defend their Tag Team Championships against Breezango, a janitor and an elderly woman in a two on four handicap match. The show also featured some matches between Sami Zayn and Baron Corbin and a six woman tag that saw Natalya Tamina and Carmella defeat Becky Lynch, Charlotte and Naomi. The face of America Kevin Owens retained his United States Championship trapping AJ Styles' leg in a large rectangular hole larger than his leg. Luke Harper defeated Erick Rowan with a discuss clothesline and at this point the show was really starting to feel like it might have been a particularly slow episode of Smackdown.

As the main event of the show drew near worry started to set in. Too little had happened even for a B show and there were rumors that Jinder Mahal was being groomed to be the next champion ever since people noticed he was starting to look more veiny than a Todd McFarlance sculpture of a Ninja Turtle. Maybe more of a toad given all the back acne.

A Randy Orton match where Randy Orton isn't motivated usually feels slow. A match where babyface Randy Orton has to put over established loser Jinder Mahal felt so slow scientists began remeasuring what speed the universe was expanding. There were a few good spots where Randy got to have fun with The Singh Brothers ragdoll physics. That only served as a distraction though allowing Jinder Mahal to hit the Khallas and become the 50th ever and 50th best WWE Champion.

Over on RAW Elias Sampson finally made his in-ring debut despite having drifted through backstage segments as early as March. Sampson was known in NXT mostly for being treated like a nuisance not to be taken seriously by everybody especially fellow heel Corey Graves. Elias lost so much he actually lost the drifter moniker. All of this despite the fact that he looks like somebody shrank Randy Savage in the wash. Give it seven years and he might be holding the WWE Championship. Can't be the worst to ever have the title.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    Looking at 411Mania, their Raw reviewer Larry Csonka absolutely hated it.

I’ll watch it eventually.

It was exactly what it said on the tin - whole bunch of nostalgia and a little bit of wrestling. Pretty much how all the special celebration shows go. Not sure what else would be expected here. Felt like a fun show to me.

This discussion has been closed.