As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Naki's Footlocker - Updated 3-20-08 (NSFW)

nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
Footlockers are cool. Dunno why, but they are. Always have been, always will be. Since they're so cool I guess I'll store my art in this one rather than spreading it out all over the Corner.

Comments, critique, advice, flaming, trolling, and all the usual AC stuff is welcome and appreciated.

Three pieces to start this thread off (presented in the order they were created)

Hohoho! (Corel Painter X)-
santamx1.jpg

A Hover Car with very little cabin space (Corel Painter X)-
hx51el1.jpg

Heads, numbered for your critiquing convenience (Corel Painter X)-
headpracticehn5.jpg

nakirush on

• ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You seem to really like cheekbones!

I think some of your lines on robo-santa are too thick on the face, or just a little weird, he comes off awkward, don't know if that was intended or not. Aside from that though, he has a nice solid form.

I think the racer needs some cleaning up on the undercarriage as well, the top half looks clean, the bottom doesn't.

Overall pretty interesting style.

Shiboe on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I adore the style and rendering on these (I'm so incapable of getting things to look clean in Painter), but the facial anatomy is a little distracting. You need to tone down the cheeks a little and expand your forehead regions for your portraits. Even when you're cartooning, use of a photo reference for facial dimensions will help you at least get a starting point for where the proportions are.

Brolo on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the great tips, guys.

Trying to tone down the cheeks and bring out the forehead (Corel Painter X)-
    propotioncheckhp3.jpg

nakirush on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    HA!

I found out what was bothering me with these!

propotioncheckhp3.jpg

It's the eyes!

They're very unfocused and facing different directions...they all seem suprised but they obviously aren't

there are also a few anatomy and proportion issues...i know you're aiming for a cartoony style but the problems are still really obvious.

I did a quick paintover...hope that's ok...and i kinda did more than i wanted to do but anyways...

propotioncheckhp3paintover.jpg

PS: first paintover so if i botched it call me out...

DeeLock on
    edited December 2007
    Thanks, DeeLock. That looks much much better. I really appreciate all your crits and suggestions, I'm still trying to get a grasp on facial anatomy.. I've never been any good with 'em.

nakirush on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Your hovercar is amazing. You seem to know how to work your way around Painter pretty well. I just got it myself but I get easily intimidated each time I try to use it, especially after how long it has taken me to get adjusted with photoshop.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited December 2007
    Mykonos wrote: »
    Your hovercar is amazing. You seem to know how to work your way around Painter pretty well. I just got it myself but I get easily intimidated each time I try to use it, especially after how long it has taken me to get adjusted with photoshop.

I highly recommend Ryan Church's "Introduction to Corel Painter." Quite possibly my favorite Gnomon DVD I've got (and I have almost 70, so that's saying something.) It's a great starting point if you're new to Painter.

General Zod redesign (sketched in Corel Painter X, inks in Photoshop)-
    zodcn7.jpg

nakirush on
    edited December 2007
    Hammerhead shark mermaid (Corel Painter X)-
    mermaidmj0.jpg

nakirush on
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You might want to show a bit of her bent knee poking out from under the dress for continuity; it took me a while to find her second leg :P

Sami on
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the advice, Sami. I'm sorry I didn't post sooner. :( I'll get on that ASAP. In the meantime, however..

dancewithdarkness3xn2.jpg

More fodder for the hungry mouths of the critics.

nakirush on
    edited January 2008
    Added a knee cap to the ballerina pic.

nakirush on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The ballerina seems to be lacking some of the power your sketches have. these few clear lines say a lot less than your many scribbles.

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the comments :)

cyborgiw9.jpg

nakirush on
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    eXtreme pit-hair.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
    edited February 2008
    Haha! :P

nakirush on
    edited February 2008
    yooheandkessqg5.jpg

nakirush on
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    At risk of never having sex again- Lightsabers cauterize the wounds they create, thus there should be no blood.
    Also you seem to have a big sun behind the characters to use as your light source- but your environmental lighting seems to be coming from undetermined locations.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    At risk of never having sex again- Lightsabers cauterize the wounds they create, thus there should be no blood.
    Also you seem to have a big sun behind the characters to use as your light source- but your environmental lighting seems to be coming from undetermined locations.

i'd still do you, cybermonkeytron

beavotron on
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Force is strong in my pants

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
    edited February 2008

Thanks! Yeah, I went back and forth on the blood/no blood issue. In the end I decided the blood would be more dramatic and put it in.

As for the light source. Uh, twin suns? Nah, I have no excuse for that.

Thanks again for the feedback

nakirush on
    edited March 2008
    It's been awhile, but here's my latest piece. Feedback welcome.

dreamerfr6.jpg

nakirush on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    A few things.

You've got this big wondrous vista but it's pretty hard to differentiate it from the foreground, it looks more like wallpaper. The 'shadow' on the wall from the lamp (which is an illusion I realize but still) and the weird light sources you have going on don't convince that it's not just something on the wall. The foreground is pretty generally lit aside from the few flashlight highlights. Perhaps focus more on lighting the foreground with just flashlight and background light.

bombardier on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You have two light sources and they are both in front of the figure. He should pretty much just be a silhouette. Right now his arms feel as if they are glowing. And what is with all of the jaggies? They really pull you out of any immersion the piece might have.

I do think it is a neat idea and the background has a cool feel to it but it doesn't feel painted. The areas that do feel weak in comparison. It's just like drawing architecture from life. If you use a straight edge even once, you have to use it everywhere or that one straight line will make the rest of the drawing look crooked and terrible. Here you have a detailed beautiful background, which does not match the style or look of the foreground.

Cool piece though, as harsh as my criticisms may be.

rts on
    edited March 2008
    Thanks the crits, guys! You've both made some excellent points and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

nakirush on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    nakirush wrote: »
    Hammerhead shark mermaid (Corel Painter X)-
    mermaidmj0.jpg

That is absolutely pimp. I can see it in a Zelda game alongside the Zoras (minus the exposed boobs, obviously).

Delzhand on