As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-Fight Debate: Bracket 1

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't see how Riddler could possiblt win the round. The EMP's are most likely useless as there's no way Braniac hasn't made himself EMP-hardend. The maze would not stop him, he could plot the fastest route to the Riddler in about 1/5ths of a second.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Do the contestants have a map of the maze or are they just looking at it from ground eye level so they just see a hall way that keeps having splits?

NinjaSquirrel on
    edited November 2006
    Do the contestants have a map of the maze or are they just looking at it from ground eye level so they just see a hall way that keeps having splits?
    I'm guessing ground-level views. What would the point of a maze be if you had a map of it?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Doctor DoomDoctor Doom Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

No, that would ruin the point of the contest.

Doctor Doom on
    edited November 2006
    Well, I'm just wondering what is making everyone think anyone could really "solve" the maze then. You're pretty much just guessing which way to turn so it depends on who has better luck and who can remember which way they've gone better.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What evolution of Doomsday are we talking here. Cause todays Doomsday has evolved past the doomsday of Death of Superman in stregnth and endurance. And if its past Our worlds at war Doomsday would probably be immune to the disentegration ring of Mandarin.

Psychotic One on
    edited November 2006
    The rule says the current version of the contestant unless they have been killed/lost all their powers in which case it's the most recent non-dead/depowered version.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    In that case Mandarin is screwed in everywhich way. Doomsday is not only smart, fast as all hell, and could crush Mandrin with his pinky

Psychotic One on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What evolution of Doomsday are we talking here. Cause todays Doomsday has evolved past the doomsday of Death of Superman in stregnth and endurance. And if its past Our worlds at war Doomsday would probably be immune to the disentegration ring of Mandarin.
    The most recent Doomsday got taken out by two Superman punches.

deadonthestreet on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think it's safe to say any version of Doomsday can handle the disintigration ray, based on the fact that an old version of Iron Man could take it.

Scooter on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The most recent Doomsday got taken out by two Superman punches.

It was Doomsday from back in time, not a new 'current' Doomsday.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That does not even make sense.

deadonthestreet on
    edited November 2006

Well, neither does time travel. Warp went back in time to snatch Doomsday to bring him to the present. One would assume that since he was taken out so easily, it was Doomsday from Death O' Supes.

When is Rip Hunter!?!

Bad Karma on
    edited November 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:

Well, neither does time travel. Warp went back in time to snatch Doomsday to bring him to the present. One would assume that since he was taken out so easily, it was Doomsday from Death O' Supes.

When is Rip Hunter!?!
    I thought that that was current Doomsday and he was(Yes I know this retarted but it's IC so just go with it.) under the Earth's crust somewhere.

I could have sworn I heard that somewhere.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited November 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:

When is Rip Hunter!?!
    I thought that that was current Doomsday and he was(Yes I know this retarted but it's IC so just go with it.) under the Earth's crust somewhere.

I dunno Im just reaching.

Bad Karma on
    edited November 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:

When is Rip Hunter!?!

Aha!
    Wikipedia wrote:
    During Infinite Crisis, Doomsday was freed from captivity in a cavern near the center of the Earth by Doctor Psycho and Warp. He was then mind-controlled by Doctor Psycho and used as the "spear-carrier" of a supervillain assault on Metropolis. He was stopped by Kal-El and Kal-L, the two Supermen.

The Fall of your Reach.

Wow, that was terrible and obscure.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:

When is Rip Hunter!?!

Aha!
    Wikipedia wrote:
    During Infinite Crisis, Doomsday was freed from captivity in a cavern near the center of the Earth by Doctor Psycho and Warp. He was then mind-controlled by Doctor Psycho and used as the "spear-carrier" of a supervillain assault on Metropolis. He was stopped by Kal-El and Kal-L, the two Supermen.

The Fall of your Reach.

y halo thar

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:

When is Rip Hunter!?!

Aha!
    Wikipedia wrote:

The Fall of your Reach.

y halo thar
    I see what you did there.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited November 2006
    Well, now that we have that out of the way, one thing still stands.

Doomsday still wins. Though it's clear that he wont. He's like a Wolverine, so to speak.

But not in 100 books m i rite olo? :rotate:

Bad Karma on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:

Doomsday still wins. Though it's clear that he wont. He's like a Wolverine, so to speak.

100?

Moer liek 1000!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:

100?

Moer liek 1000!
    I know your not serious, but-
    explode.gif
    D'AHHHHHHHH

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Yes, she is. So she'll probably take the bait but keep her guard up. And then, when she's sure everything is safe, she'll explode because the Joker put a pressure-sensitive bomb under the floorboards of the appartment he was hiding in not five minutes ago. Or she'll get sprayed with Joker gas or other nasty chemicals that he hid undetectably.
    Why would she ever assume she is safe when she's in the middle of a fight to the death with a fucking super-villain?

And yeah, there's no way Joker can build a pressure sensitive bomb over the course of this fight. More importantly, she'd have her force field up so long as her guard was up (the entire fight).

I'm betting that the Joker could build a pressure-sensitive bomb, or at least a time bomb, in the span of the fight, using whatever he has on him and whatever he can find around him inside of the buildings. He's done a lot of crazier shit.

Hell, the bomb can even be remotely detonated.

Spectre-x on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't get why anyone would think Mary's an incompetent fighter or that Joker will fight dirty whereas she will not.

And the fatal flaw of the pressure sensitive bomb is the fact that you need someone to step on it. I'm thinking it's not a great idea to invest your time in one when you're fighting someone who can fly.

robosagogo on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I voted my heart.

Not my wallet.

Furu on
  • mcwillipmcwillip Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    mary likes to break men yes? she attempts to seduce joker, he plays along for a bit then bam, joker venom ftw.

also, he could just spray the venom on himself like cologne since he's immune and then ask her how she likes his new perfume.

she's insane enough to not go for an instant win, and he's insane enough to not care and just randomly kill her in the above scenario.

mcwillip on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Yes, she is. So she'll probably take the bait but keep her guard up. And then, when she's sure everything is safe, she'll explode because the Joker put a pressure-sensitive bomb under the floorboards of the appartment he was hiding in not five minutes ago. Or she'll get sprayed with Joker gas or other nasty chemicals that he hid undetectably.
    Why would she ever assume she is safe when she's in the middle of a fight to the death with a fucking super-villain?

And yeah, there's no way Joker can build a pressure sensitive bomb over the course of this fight. More importantly, she'd have her force field up so long as her guard was up (the entire fight).

I'm betting that the Joker could build a pressure-sensitive bomb, or at least a time bomb, in the span of the fight, using whatever he has on him and whatever he can find around him inside of the buildings. He's done a lot of crazier shit.

How would it be possible for him to create a bomb like that? The pressure sensitive one is a stretch but still vaguely possible. But please explain how Joker would now create a bomb as well as a radio reciever to detonate that bomb.

Nothing in the equipment given to him would allow him to put something like that together. It was also never stated that there are spare technological gadgets laying around the battlefield. I think the plan of him creating a bomb like that is a bit too far fetched.

Marathon on
    edited November 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

How would it be possible for him to create a bomb like that? The pressure sensitive one is a stretch but still vaguely possible. But please explain how Joker would now create a bomb as well as a radio reciever to detonate that bomb.

Nothing in the equipment given to him would allow him to put something like that together. It was also never stated that there are spare technological gadgets laying around the battlefield. I think the plan of him creating a bomb like that is a bit too far fetched.

"Whatever can be found inside of the buildings" includes whatever people normally have in their homes. Bleach, power tools, possibly, telephones, cell phones, televisions, wireless headphones, video game consoles, rubber bands, lamps, radios, couch springs, you name it.

It's an abandoned urban environment, not an empty one.

Besides, yeah, Mary doesn't constantly use her powers. Ever. I don't even think she used them once in her any of her Deadpool appearances.

And she won't instantly kill someone with telekinesis when she can slit his throat up close. If it were to come to close combat, which Joker probably wouldn't allow, Mary wouldn't trust on her telekinesis and pyrokinesis, at least not at first. She'd try to seduce him. Which would prove to be incredibly fatal to her.
    robosagogo wrote:
    I don't get why anyone would think Mary's an incompetent fighter or that Joker will fight dirty whereas she will not.

And the fatal flaw of the pressure sensitive bomb is the fact that you need someone to step on it. I'm thinking it's not a great idea to invest your time in one when you're fighting someone who can fly.

Mary probably wouldn't fly all the time. She actually does quite a bit of walking around and stuff.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006
    It's still a bit of a stretch to think that Joker will have enough time to find the materials and tools as well as enough time to just sit down and get to work on building a remote detonated bomb from scratch. Having never done so, my guess is that it is a somehwat delicate and time consuming process. Putting all his eggs in one basket like that would really be a bad idea due to the fact that Mary can protect herself with a telekinetic shield.

Why would Mary not be using her powers to their fullest? This is a situation unlike any she has been in before in the comics. It's not her latest scheme to kill Daredevil, this is a tournament where the contestants fight to the death. She would have her powers ready right away due to the nature of the contest. She may be crazy, but she's not stupid.

Marathon on
    edited November 2006
    Mary frequently toys with her opponents, especially if they're men.

And the Joker knows how to make bombs. He does it all the time. He knows what to look for and what to use, building bombs is really easy for him.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Mary frequently toys with her opponents, especially if they're men.

And the Joker knows how to make bombs. He does it all the time. He knows what to look for and what to use, building bombs is really easy for him.

He makes bombs all the time in his hideouts where he has all the materials in one place ready and waiting. In this setting he would have to be very lucky to just find all the things he needs just lying there in his path. Most likely it would take a fair amount of searching through the buildings looking for something that would work and then getting lucky enough to find the right tools to wire the bomb and make it work.

Im not saying it's impossible, but it is very very improbable series of events that Joker would need in order to make any sort of bomb from scratch.

While Joker is probably pretty good at making bombs that does'nt mean that the process is any less delicate or time consuming. One mistake from working too fast and he is just as likely to blow himself up trying to kill Mary.

Marathon on
    edited November 2006
    You could make a fairly powerful explosive from the items found in most houses. The Joker knows this. He's probably done it for fun.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    You could make a fairly powerful explosive from the items found in most houses. The Joker knows this. He's probably done it for fun.

Care to actually provide examples instead of just saying he can do it because you say so.

Marathon on
    edited November 2006
    You're arguing that a criminal genius mastermind like the Joker isn't aware of the many, many chemicals found in people's houses that react with each other explosively, and that he would not be able to make them into a bomb when making bombs is pretty much a hobby for him?

Are you suggesting that a brilliant chemist will not be able to mix up some high explosives using whatever reagents are found in the common household?

While I can't provide you with examples of him doing this before, I'm sorry to say, it would still be preposterous to suggest that a man as insane and smart and most of all homicidally creative as the Joker would not know how to do this.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    You're arguing that a criminal genius mastermind like the Joker isn't aware of the many, many chemicals found in people's houses that react with each other explosively, and that he would not be able to make them into a bomb when making bombs is pretty much a hobby for him?

Are you suggesting that a brilliant chemist will not be able to mix up some high explosives using whatever reagents are found in the common household?

While I can't provide you with examples of him doing this before, I'm sorry to say, it would still be preposterous to suggest that a man as insane and smart and most of all homicidally creative as the Joker would not know how to do this.

What I am suggesting is that it would take far more time than it is worth for him to track down all these different chemicals due to the abandoned and run down nature of the environment. Then to top it all off I am suggesting that it would be even harder for him to find the materials and tools he would need in order for him to then create a functioning bomb as well as a radio to detonate it from afar.

I have never said he does not know how to do it, not once. What I have said is that building a bomb in his hideout is completely different than improvising one in the battlefield while someone is trying to track him down and kill him.

Also, from what I remember during chemistry there are very few chemicals found in the common household that when mixed will then become explosive without the addition of some sort of outside ignition. Many household chemicals are flammable. But from what I know you cant mix laundry detergent with bleach and get nitroglycerine.

Marathon on
    edited November 2006
    There's nothing about the buildings being run-down in the arena description, it just says "abandoned", as in, no people. I think.

Still, the Joker's a brilliant chemist, and he has acid and crazy gas on him, as well as whatever the hell else is in gas grenades.

And just because it would take time doesn't mean that the Joker doesn't have that time. It's an abandoned city-scape, there are a lot of places to hide.

Spectre-x on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I would laugh if the recap has the Joker spending an hour or two hiding from Mary while he gathers stuff for a bomb and puts it together, tosses it at her, and it just bounces off her telekinetics.

Scooter on
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I would laugh if the recap has the Joker spending an hour or two hiding from Mary while he gathers stuff for a bomb and puts it together, tosses it at her, and it just bounces off her telekinetics.

If it were to come to close combat, Mary would probably try to seduce the Joker, which would lead to her getting her face melted off.

And when has Mary ever kept her telekinesis up non-stop?

Spectre-x on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

If it were to come to close combat, Mary would probably try to seduce the Joker, which would lead to her getting her face melted off.
    Does she try to seduce everyone?

Does she drop her forcefield when she does it?

robosagogo on
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

And when has Mary ever kept her telekinesis up non-stop?

Why would she try to seduce someone she is in a fight to the death with? I know it is something she has done in the past, but she is also a trained killer. In close combat she is going to set Joker on fire and stab him to death for good measure.

Why whould she not have her telekinesis up when someone lobs a suspicios object at her during a fight like this? My guess she will go with the assumption that whatever he is doing is intended to hurt/kill her and protect herself accordingly no matter how tricky or charming Joker is. The situation he is put into in this kind of fight does not let him use that side of his personality to its fullest.

Marathon on
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

Does she try to seduce everyone?

Does she drop her forcefield when she does it?

I'm not sure, but she's pretty likely to try to seduce the Joker and fuck him around for a while before killing him with a knife, as opposed to using her telekinetic abilities.

And I'm not sure again, bu't why would she keep her tk forcefield up (that she doesn't always have up), when she's certain that she has him in her thrall?

EDIT: She's a trained killer, but also completely insane, and she likes toying with guys.

Also, the Joker would not make a bomb to throw it at someone. If he wanted to throw something, he'd use his gas grenades.

Spectre-x on