As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Has anyone heard any buzz around that semi-cooperative Nemesis Boardgame? It looks really neat.

There's several playthroughs on YouTube of it. It IS really neat. I'm in for the whole shebang.

Damn you kickstarter......stop beating my wallet to death.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Yeah I set up an alert for it, and will likely grab it next payday D:

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard any buzz around that semi-cooperative Nemesis Boardgame? It looks really neat.

There's several playthroughs on YouTube of it. It IS really neat. I'm in for the whole shebang.

Here's the secret: don't back kickstarter games, especially giant miniatures ones

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

Dang, that does look really good. Another game I want but would probably not get to play anytime soon. :(

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Here's the secret: don't back kickstarter games, especially giant miniatures ones

But that's my thing...

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

BWA HA HA HA! As if such a thing was possible. Wait...you're serious?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

BWA HA HA HA! As if such a thing was possible. Wait...you're serious?

I mean, you can be picky. I only backed 2 things in 2016 and 2017 (though OblivAEON may technically have been a roll-over from 2016 due to the delays!).

It really helps, if you're pursuing that strategy, to have multiple friends and acquaintances who are attempting to compete with Magic Pink's home-building efforts.

I kid you not, one friend is remodeling his office and dining-room so his wife can have a space in the former and his games can move to the latter.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Speaking of Kickstarters, my copy of Hardback came in the mail yesterday. Pretty stoked to give it a go. I helped out a little bit in the co-op mode to make it feel like a unique experience. At the very least, I did come up with the name of Paige Turner's rival; Penny Dreadful. Such a fun pun that Jeff and Tim loved it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what to make of the Nemesis Kickstarter. Awaken Realms' oeuvre seems to be excessive quantity of massive minis over quality (judging by their last few Kickstarters) - but then some of the early impressions of Lords of Hellas are actually pretty positive. Confirmation bias notwithstanding.

In other news, Rising Sun boxes are starting to arrive to people this week. That's sooner than I'd anticipated.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I had to look up Penny Dreadful to understand the joke. I knew it was a phrase, but didn't get the meaning with books. I would have come up with something obtuse like Bernadette Booke.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    My team continues to amaze me at our Pandemic Legacy Season 2 luck. Another month of "how the hell are we going to do— oh, that's how." We had the option of taking a knee (or at least risking it; we had two incidents left to Game Over) to set up for future games better but ultimately decided against it and secured the guaranteed win.

Two months to go!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Testing for lead?

Probably nothing to worry about unless you have a situation where children might put the Go stones in their mouths.
    Long story short, some types of Go stones are sintered and the sintering process involves a small quantity of lead.
    Chinese quality control on inexpensive products is not always fantastic, and so some Go stones have more lead than others.

The amounts involved are, to my understanding, fewer than one hundred parts per million and in "good" sets of sintered stones it should be less than ten parts per million - within FDA safety standards.
    Just something to be aware of.
    Speaking for myself, I enjoy the sintered ceramic stones a lot more than glass.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    Hey Gloomhaven folks -

Going to be getting to play a first session with a friend's copy this weekend. He wants to include his child (age roughly 12, I think) to see if she's interested in playing, which I'm totally cool with. I think I've heard that the first scenario is pretty brutal, is that true? Any suggested changes to decrease the difficulty? I haven't read through the rules yet, but I'm intending to do that beforehand.

I don't know that the first scenario is particularly difficult, but it's certainly not a hand-holding tutorial either. You do need to manage your cards well to make it to the end without becoming exhausted.

The most straightforward way to reduce the difficulty just a bit would be to use the level 0 monster cards instead of level 1 monsters. If you really wanted to dial down the challenge, you could use the monster placements for 2 players instead of 3, which would make the first scenario much closer to a cakewalk. (Every scenario includes different placement instructions for 2, 3, and 4 players.)

My advice is to make sure the differences between 'lost' and 'discarded' cards are understood along with 'short rest' and 'long rest' differences. Encourage people not to use any 'lost' effects until at least the second room is fully engaged.

You may want to give her a bit of a handicap for her age. maybe give her a free perk, or auto give her the blessing rewards as if she donated the 10 gold to the church in her draw deck.

I find the first room of every scenario to be the most challenging, because the monsters are right in your face and you haven't had a chance to activate your long-term effects yet.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXRuoSHI6eQ

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Or do because they can be neat and fun.

Darric wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to make of the Nemesis Kickstarter. Awaken Realms' oeuvre seems to be excessive quantity of massive minis over quality (judging by their last few Kickstarters)

Nah. This War Of Mine was amazing and people apparently really liked Hellas. The Edge I haven't heard anything about. But, again, you can watch a full play through of Nemesis on a number of YouTube channels and see if you like it. It plays in the same vein as Dead of Winter with more exploration and less back stabbing.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Quick clarification - Are the games classified as "Dudes on a Map" the likes of Zombicide and The Others? Can Shadows Over Camelot be classified as such?

• SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Dudes on a Map usually implies direct conflict and area control, so I wouldn't put Shadows Over Camelot in that territory; it's a hand management co-op in which the board is almost incidental.

Edit: by the way, I'd be happy to take on a Dudes on a Map category for the OP. Alternately, a category that's Just Vlaada Chvatil.

Saurfang on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Risk is the Ur-Dudes on a Map game, so use that as a baseline.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Have we talked about the U-boat Kickstarter yet?
    It scratches a peculiar itch for me. Shouting in German at other people around the table.
    It also has a 3d U-boat on the table.
    It looks really interesting.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I'm not sure Kickstarter is a relevant category for the OPas much as it gives all yall a chance to get hyped about crypto-preorders.

edited January 2018
    Aldo wrote: »
    I'm not sure Kickstarter is a relevant category for the OPas much as it gives all yall a chance to get hyped about crypto-preorders.

Maybe just some general Kickstarter advise in the op?
    Along the lines of buyer beware but if it looks good to you go for it?
    Maybe post what some would consider red flags.
    Is there a rulebook?
    Is there an actual prototype?
    How extensively has the game been playtested?
    Are there KS exclusives?
    How have the designers responded on comments?
    Etc
    Some stuff to help people make their own choice instead of telling them yes or no.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
    It scratches a peculiar itch for me. Shouting in German at other people around the table.

Have you tried CAPTAIN SONAR ?

• FryFry Registered User regular
    The categorization effort seems challenging because there aren't hard delineations between some genres, it's more of a spectrum. For example, Shadows over Camelot could be in a "co-op with traitor" category, grouped with Dead of Winter. Another category could be "Social Deduction" games with Resistance/Avalon, Secret Hitler, and One Night Werewolf. But there's an intermediate area between the two where I'd put Battlestar Galactica/Dark Moon.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Also getting hyped about crypto preorders is VERY IMPORTANT okay

sig.gif
    Fairchild wrote: »

I have! Das boat is a recurring name...and yellow Submarine.

steam_sig.png
    Fry wrote: »
    The categorization effort seems challenging because there aren't hard delineations between some genres, it's more of a spectrum. For example, Shadows over Camelot could be in a "co-op with traitor" category, grouped with Dead of Winter. Another category could be "Social Deduction" games with Resistance/Avalon, Secret Hitler, and One Night Werewolf. But there's an intermediate area between the two where I'd put Battlestar Galactica/Dark Moon.

i just put co-op with traitor into semi-co-op. The less categories the better

• SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    2-player games are probably the closest thing I have to an area of expertise. This is what I would put if I were creating a list of reasonably priced games titled,

How to Slowly and Secretly Convert Your Partner into a Board Gamer

Lvl 0 (no prior game experience, not even card games): Cribbage
    Lvl 1 (enjoys the odd card game): Lost Cities, Codenames: Duet if you want a cooperative game
    Lvl 2 (hints of deeper strategy): Patchwork, Jaipur, Hanamikoji
    Lvl 3 (now we're talking): Dominion, 7 Wonders: Duel
    Lvl 4 (fully converted): Race for the Galaxy, Innovation, Castles of Burgundy

Edit: Hanamikoji and Codenames: Duet swapped positions after a good comment from ArcticLancer

Suckafish on
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

I have! Das boat is a recurring name...and yellow Submarine.
    My buddy reduced the entire table to tears of laughter when he announced that he wanted to call his sub the "One Man Wolf Pack."

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Suckafish wrote: »
    2-player games are probably the closest thing I have to an area of expertise. This is what I would put if I were creating a list of reasonably priced games titled,

Lvl 1 (enjoys the odd card game): Lost Cities, Hanamikoji
    Lvl 2 (hints of deeper strategy): Patchwork, Jaipur, Codenames: Duet if you want a cooperative game

Where is Twilight Struggle?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

Lvl 2 (hints of deeper strategy): Patchwork, Jaipur, Codenames: Duet if you want a cooperative game

For a lot of reasons I think you've got Hanamikoki and Duet reversed. I think they're both fantastic, and Hanamikoji is my favourite 2-player game without question, but the game can fairly be summarized as "make the best of perpetually shittier situations" and that isn't for everyone. Duet, in comparison, is a pretty low-risk, be creative, have some laughs affair. It's way more approachable by people who aren't already invested in games.

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Where is Twilight Struggle?

Maybe as a special mention as a post-conversion game? Maybe level 4? I don't think the theme is as couples friendly as those listed above.

For a lot of reasons I think you've got Hanamikoki and Duet reversed. I think they're both fantastic, and Hanamikoji is my favourite 2-player game without question, but the game can fairly be summarized as "make the best of perpetually shittier situations" and that isn't for everyone. Duet, in comparison, is a pretty low-risk, be creative, have some laughs affair. It's way more approachable by people who aren't already invested in games.

You know what? I agree with you. I debated the position of those two myself, and ended up putting Hanamikoji with Lost Cities just because both share the game mechanic of having to give the other player things you don't want to give them. List edited!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I misread that as:
    How to Slowly and Secretly Convert Your Partner into a Board Game

and was for a moment imagining getting hexes tattooed on them while drunk, gluing meeples to them while they sleep etc.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif

Lvl 1 (enjoys the odd card game): Lost Cities, Codenames: Duet if you want a cooperative game

Edit: Hanamikoji and Codenames: Duet swapped positions after a good comment from ArcticLancer

Do my way instead:

Lvl 0: Agricola
    Moves right to level 4

So far 100% success rate

Do my way instead:

Moves right to level 4

So far 100% success rate

You might be on to something, as we actually went Cribbage->Lost Cities->Agricola, and it worked. 200% success rate.

200% success rate.

is... is that how that works?? :bigfrown:

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    It converts them twice.

It's that good.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Do my way instead:

Moves right to level 4

So far 100% success rate

"Drop her straight into Kingdom Death," did not have such great results for me, fwiw.

It's possible you're just a better teacher or more persuasive than me!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Magic Pink can just look threatening and gesture menacingly toward the stack towers of heavy board game boxes.

crimsoncoyote on
This discussion has been closed.