As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam]: The Backlog does matter? Backlog Challenge spreadsheet linked top of OP.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    So... has anyone played Deep Sky Derelicts yet? It was linked from the King's Bounty page and looks to be leaving Early Access in March.

I saw that one a little while ago, immediately thought of Darkest Dungeon but IN SPACE and wishlisted it. But I'm always hesitant to jump on early access because my backlog is full of finished games that I haven't even touched. Still, definitely keeping an eye on it. Speaking of which, I really need to put more time into Darkest Dungeon

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I played State of Decay on the 360. It was fun, but it felt very incomplete.

/twitch

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Anarchy! In Bedrock!
    /twitch /twitch

One bonus internet point to whomever gets it.

• Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    I just finished Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone DLC! This one feels shorter than Blood and Wine, but it's still a pretty good dlc.
    I enjoyed seeing Shani again. The main storyline was tragic, but well done.

Thanks again to @übergeek for the gift!

steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Just beat Assassin's Creed Origins. That was a fantastic ride from start to finish. Just wish it could count towards the backlog challenge but I have to be honest, I started it long before the challenge began.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I saw someone mention that Everspace was merely good.

Lies, it is awesome.

I was confused as well, at first, but then I had a successful run and it was the best.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    So... has anyone played Deep Sky Derelicts yet? It was linked from the King's Bounty page and looks to be leaving Early Access in March.

I saw that one a little while ago, immediately thought of Darkest Dungeon but IN SPACE and wishlisted it. But I'm always hesitant to jump on early access because my backlog is full of finished games that I haven't even touched. Still, definitely keeping an eye on it. Speaking of which, I really need to put more time into Darkest Dungeon

According to their roadmap they won't be releasing until at least after April this year so you've got some time to mull it over

steam_sig.png
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Someone leaked an upcoming sale date.

8bwkuc6.png

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

/twitch

Now now. State of Decay is easily one of my favourite games ever but the 360 version WAS pretty rough. The Year One release was great.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Isorn wrote: »
    Someone leaked an upcoming sale date.

snip

"It is just fine to release a new game during the sale event." That seems like a boldfaced lie?

KoopahTroopah on
    Magic Pink wrote: »

/twitch

Now now. State of Decay is easily one of my favourite games ever but the 360 version WAS pretty rough. The Year One release was great.

You're good people.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

/twitch

You're good people.

no i'm a zombie now

argh blarg brains etc.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That's interesting info about the pricing/discount policies. A little peek behind the curtain.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I'm guessing it's their way of keeping discounts feeling fresh so like fools we wait for big sales, avoiding purchases until we can get cards out of them while actually missing out on better deals at say Thanksgiving.

Who would be such a fool?

*crafts badgers*

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Little Nightmares

Pro:
    - Super pretty artwork, like a slightly less distressing In The Night Kitchen
    - Simple to control, generally well-telegraphed stealth and movement challenges and some decent little physics puzzles.

Con:
    - It's just not very interesting to play. The challenges are generally minor, and dying feels less scary than it does silly. Why bother having me die? Why bother making me run unopposed across a couple rooms to get to the bit where a thing can kill me?
    - There isn't much to do in most areas beyond sprint right or left.
    - Some of the detection felt odd to me, happening when I was in a place I thought kept me out of enemy sight/sound radius.
    - There are little lamps and Nomes and statues to find, I guess, but they're not cataloged at all beyond achievements, and they have no real effect on play (I guess they initiate a save, but then it also seems like they initiate a save at the last checkpoint, which I already had? It didn't seem useful.) And if you want to go back and pick them all up it's going to be a slog through the entire level. My least favorite type of collectathon.

I was disappointed! I expected it to feel tense and frightening to be that tiny person in a place with a bunch of giant cannibals but it didn't do much for me.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's their way of keeping discounts feeling fresh so like fools we wait for big sales, avoiding purchases until we can get cards out of them while actually missing out on better deals at say Thanksgiving.

*crafts badgers*

Badger crafting?

ac1d8a13cff9e26b95bd05c42e685fe0.jpg

I'm currently closing in on the middle to end of Gloria's mind in Psychonauts, which apparently means I'm just two worlds away from the end, more or less. It's . . . fine? I'm not sure why everyone has such love for it, to be honest. Yes, the characters are goofy and the scenario is weird-ish, but hell, I've seen weirder in games before. The powers are particularly unusual, excluding maybe Clairvoyance; light things on fire, shoot things, block, high jump/float, throw, etc. Also, it bears the hideous markings of Double Fine point & click adventure games. My inventory is clogged with items ranging from "only used it once" to "useful in a collectibles collecting sort of fashion", but nothing with the oomph, say, a hookshot or bow or whatever. And though the conspiracy brain was fun, it delved right into "find the right item for the right thing" component of those p&c games.

Am I in the minority of finding such mechanics wearying?

Anyway, the platforming and collecting of things is pretty solid and I can't really find anything to moan about there, I'm just not sure what's driving me on at this point other than getting a scant few points for my team. It's mechanically competent while still impeded by sameness. The story is interesting at the same time that it's canned and rote. I dunno, maybe I'm just the rare non-fan of Psychonauts. Or at least I'd give it closer to a 70% rating.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

*crafts badgers*

Badger crafting?

I'm currently closing in on the middle to end of Gloria's mind in Psychonauts, which apparently means I'm just two worlds away from the end, more or less. It's . . . fine? I'm not sure why everyone has such love for it, to be honest. Yes, the characters are goofy and the scenario is weird-ish, but hell, I've seen weirder in games before. The powers are particularly unusual, excluding maybe Clairvoyance; light things on fire, shoot things, block, high jump/float, throw, etc. Also, it bears the hideous markings of Double Fine point & click adventure games. My inventory is clogged with items ranging from "only used it once" to "useful in a collectibles collecting sort of fashion", but nothing with the oomph, say, a hookshot or bow or whatever. And though the conspiracy brain was fun, it delved right into "find the right item for the right thing" component of those p&c games.

Anyway, the platforming and collecting of things is pretty solid and I can't really find anything to moan about there, I'm just not sure what's driving me on at this point other than getting a scant few points for my team. It's mechanically competent while still impeded by sameness. The story is interesting at the same time that it's canned and rote. I dunno, maybe I'm just the rare non-fan of Psychonauts. Or at least I'd give it closer to a 70% rating.
    The characters and setting are the real draw of psychonauts. Mostly with how much detail has been put into them. They have different comments for basically every section of the game. you can show them any item in the game and they will usually have a unique reaction to it.

As a game itself, it's okay, but it's the little details that really pulled it above a lot of stuff.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm over halfway through Metro Last Light and I'm really enjoying it despite it not playing nicely with OBS (I probably figured that out, but not gonna restart). Typical shooter mostly, and the light mechanic feels mundane nowadays, but it plays well and has enough little things going on to make it interesting.

I've definitely gotten lost on a map because they allowed me to go exploring but there was no clear indication of the right way. I was looking at accurate maps on the tunnel trying to find the exit at one point.

Does this cool 'hey, something bad happened here and it's going to heeby jeebies your mind' thing in certain areas. Solid story beats so far.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

*crafts badgers*

Badger crafting?

The characters and setting are the real draw of psychonauts. Mostly with how much detail has been put into them. They have different comments for basically every section of the game. you can show them any item in the game and they will usually have a unique reaction to it.

As a game itself, it's okay, but it's the little details that really pulled it above a lot of stuff.

I think my issue is that that sort of characterization became more common after said game, and I've played those games before I played this one. Basically, the curse any game made earlier than . . . 2010? 2013? Is probably going to have for me.

This is the same exact reason I'd find it hard to go back to Assassin's Creed II, or even III, not to mention the original.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Domina complete!

Fun little gladiator manager game, although hoo-boy it throws you right in. The 'tutorial' is pretty scant. There's an option early on to unlock one of your gladiators in each match for manual control, but I'm rubbish at this type of game. So I just upgraded everything with architect buildings and training and eventually my little AI minions were able to handle most of what was thown at them.

Thanks again @Ashe for this! This was an enjoyably bloody pixelfest! <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I remember putting Deep Sky Derelicts on my wish list but I haven't revisited it to check progress. If they ever made some sort of game version of the novel Ship Breaker, I would be down.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Apparently Subnautica is leaving early access today and I am pumped to get back into that, probably gonna stream some tonight. I've played a bit before the graphics update but never managed to get too far. Going to play the mode without hunger/thirst though, the ocean is scary enough without that too. Can't wait to see what they've added. And get eaten by it.

Iolo wrote: »
    Domina complete!

Fun little gladiator manager game, although hoo-boy it throws you right in. The 'tutorial' is pretty scant. There's an option early on to unlock one of your gladiators in each match for manual control, but I'm rubbish at this type of game. So I just upgraded everything with architect buildings and training and eventually my little AI minions were able to handle most of what was thown at them.

Thanks again Ashe for this! This was an enjoyably bloody pixelfest! <3

Wait.

Gladiator manager game?

You don't say...

So this is how the Emperor amuses himself, is it?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Okay guys, I have some bad news.

I've been having a really really really shitty month. Everything that ive been planning and working on has gone horribly wrong, sick as fuck for over a week, Worst back pain ive had in years, etc. Unfortunately the long-delayed awards show just isn't going to work out. I'm really sorry guys, I was planning on some decent things but it kinda all fell through and my current depressive state just isn't conducive to doing it.

I truly appreciate all the work people did writing up reviews, im sorry i'm going to be unable to do what I was planning. :( I'll write up some more bounties tonight/tomorrow for the backlog challenge, ive been really delayed in that also.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

I've been having a really really really shitty month. Everything that ive been planning and working on has gone horribly wrong, sick as fuck for over a week, Worst back pain ive had in years, etc. Unfortunately the long-delayed awards show just isn't going to work out. I'm really sorry guys, I was planning on some decent things but it kinda all fell through and my current depressive state just isn't conducive to doing it.

I truly appreciate all the work people did writing up reviews, im sorry i'm going to be unable to do what I was planning. :( I'll write up some more bounties tonight/tomorrow for the backlog challenge, ive been really delayed in that also.

I'm really sorry to hear your bad times. Hopefully they'll turn the other way soon and balance this out for ya. I know I haven't been an active person in the Steam thread for long, but I really appreciate the work you do for the backlog challenge. It got me out of lurking and posting in here.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Huh, Unbox is 50 cents over at GreenManGaming. I remember hearing that game was....decent. Probably worth the 50 cents, esp since I found a quarter on the floor this morning.

Okay, apparently a bunch of games are on sale for like 40 or 50 cents, of varying quality. Like the Goosebumps game.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular

Don't worry about it @CorriganX, seriously. Just take care of yourself! We still love you. <3

camo_sig2.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Huh, Unbox is 50 cents over at GreenManGaming. I remember hearing that game was....decent. Probably worth the 50 cents, esp since I found a quarter on the floor this morning.

Okay, apparently a bunch of games are on sale for like 40 or 50 cents, of varying quality. Like the Goosebumps game.

Oh, a newer Goosebumps game, not this one

Goosebumps_-_Escape_from_Horrorland_Coverart.png

I was all excited for a second.

SniperGuy wrote: »

Oh, a newer Goosebumps game, not this one

Goosebumps_-_Escape_from_Horrorland_Coverart.png

I was all excited for a second.

Yeah I think it might have come out around the time of the recent Goosebumps movie starring Jack Black. Both the game and the movie seem to have been fairly decent from what I've heard.

steam_sig.png

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

:bro:

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    New Humble Bundle:
    CHiqkeY.png

$1:
    Cities in Motion 2
    Magicka 2
    Majesty 2 Collection

BTA:
    Crusader Kings II + The Old Gods DLC
    Pillars of Eternity
    Hearts of Iron III Collection
    Europa Universalis III Complete

$12:
    Stellaris

HiT BiT on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Stellaris for cheap is what finally got me on board with Humble Monthly. That game alone is worth $12. I seem to remember Pillars of Eternity being either in a recent Monthly, or just on a good sale; and it has also been well received.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Why doesn't Origin have a comparable sale on to the one on Xbox Live at the moment... wait, it does?

Battlefront II is still a bit steep for me (doubly so knowing that game's price is going to drop like a stone) but that Battlefield 1 complete & Titanfall 2 bundle is awfully tempting...

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Just sold all my remaining Winter Sale cards plus an extra emoticon on the market. Got 71 cents for everything. Not bad.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Just sold all my remaining Winter Sale cards plus an extra emoticon on the market. Got 71 cents for everything. Not bad.

Whew howdy. Gonna buy some bitcoin with all that scratch?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    The latest bit of Dead State jankiness: Doors in small stairwells.

The entrances to the floors in a hotel occupied by hostile mercenaries are too small for the engine to handle and you end up spawning with a party member in the same tile as a locked door. This sometimes makes you noticeable to the hostiles on the floor. Or you spawn with two party members stacked on top of each other just behind the door which is close enough for some mercs to detect and they themselves run into the door and get stuck in the locked door. None of them prevents attacks landing on the character in the door tile but because you can't shoot over someone's shoulder it makes things difficult for your party members stuck behind each other. You can swap places with a party member for an extra action point so you can work around it by shuffling around but it's very silly. In addition, while you can step over or on a dead body, someone still bleeding out is an impassible obstacle so when enemies get stacked like that you end up having to spend actions finishing them off to be able to move freely.

Regardless, I was able to deal with though with occasional reloads in the instances such as the one where a party member had to move through the locked door to be able to try to break open said door and was very exposed to enemy attacks. When I didn't deal with door issues, the fights were pretty straight forward if still sometimes painful (thankfully I had two combat medics who could shoot well) and the boss himself went down really quickly due to a mix of Leadership special buffs and nerve gas grenades. It's not technically a war crime when you're not technically at war.

These were the same mercenaries I had previously fought to secure better armor before my assassination of the biker gang leader but this time I was being more thorough. A young woman was hiding out in the nearby book store she used to work at and wouldn't leave until the mercs who had rebelled and set up their own little mercs only palace in the mall and hotel had their leader dealt with and an item he had looted from the woman's former boss recovered. I went in much better equipped this time due to the previously grabbed armor plus a great shotgun from the last really tough fight I had in an old military bomb shelter. I looted another one of those early on and got great use out of it. Possibly a little two much as one character alone went through about 40 shotgun shells and ammo is not plentiful in this game for all but a few calibers. It's weird to loot an ammo locker and only find 5 bullets total. But the results speak for themselves and I have a ridiculous amount of stuff to loot. Unfortunately one of my best fighters has an awful carrying capacity so looting after big fights usually requires multiple trips and swapping people around at base. I also have the use of an SUV that my mechanics repaired to working condition back at the shelter which has the benefits and issues you'd imagine a gas guzzling middle aged soccer mom-mobile has when no gas stations are running but for loot runs the trunk space is nice.

I haven't really begun looting supplies from the floors I cleared either. I was mostly focused on better armor, guns, background data items, and medicine. I could probably outfit every person who might conceivably go into the field just with the mercs I killed this run and if not there are still floors I didn't touch. It's not necessarily the best gear in the game but way better than the riding leathers, leather jackets, and football pads most enemies use.

Also, a tip of the hat to the artists that did the background art for the roof of the hotel where I took out the merc boss. The game is set outside of the cities in a rural area so you don't get massive waves of zombies due to the lack of people but the hotel was on the outskirts of Austin and you can see the street level completely carpeted by zombies. Some characters mention that the cities are pretty bad but this was the first visual indication I got of that.

Other fights of note have included a town intersection where some survivalists and looters were fighting, dragged me into the fight, and attracted a lot of zombies as well as becoming some zombies. And another where I busted into a junkyard being used as a scumbag refugee camp with a biker gang member talking with a post apocalyptic gang member about how their respective camps had gotten shot up and looted by others. First place I've seen enemies of different factions cooperating instead of fighting each other.

Back at base, I've built the last upgrade to the shelter and now have a science lab that can put my scientists to work making antibiotics and various thrown weapons. Also ammo but I hear the yield from that is really, really poor. Still may be worth it at some point as I've been getting a lot of resources now that I can clean out hostile bases.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

Thanks for the heads up. I had Unbox and Space Grunts on my wishlist and it's hard to resist them at that price. Unbox looks like a perfect one for my kids to some their teeth into 3D platforming too and it has split screen multi for them.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Does anyone have recommendations for a game that's similar in scope/style to Yonder?

I got it a while back and my girlfriend tore it to pieces while she was sick, like 40-50 hours in a week.

Now she's interested in another similar experience to maybe stretch out over more than a few days!

I was thinking Slime Rancher, maybe? Anything else come to mind?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    Does anyone have recommendations for a game that's similar in scope/style to Yonder?

I got it a while back and my girlfriend tore it to pieces while she was sick, like 40-50 hours in a week.

Now she's interested in another similar experience to maybe stretch out over more than a few days!

I was thinking Slime Rancher, maybe? Anything else come to mind?

*looks at Steam page*

So you want Zelda?

steam_sig.png

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I made a Subnautica thread, because somehow we didn't have one.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/217331/subnautica-im-sure-that-distant-animal-scream-is-nothing-to-worry-about/

I'm planning to start a playthrough sometime tonight, I've played it a bit during Early Access but stopped until they finished the story.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
This discussion has been closed.