As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Anybody tried Chromagun?

It gives some vague Portal vibes and looks nice and colorful

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I feel like supporting an indie developer. Does anyone have any suggestions for obscure but interesting things in the eshop?

Never Stop Sneakin' is very good.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Right now I have
    • Minecraft
    • Stardew Valley
    • Pyu Pyu Tetris
    • Mariocart
    • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I've dropped probably over 100 hours on Minecraft and Stardew Valley, probably 20 on Pyu Pyu Tetris, and less than 10 for Mariocart and Zelda. Despite loving open world games like Skyrim I just couldn't get into Zelda. There wasn't enough plot to hook me, and what plot there was felt like I had done it a hundred times before with other Zelda games (though it was neat mechanically, it just wasn't for me). Mariocart is hilariously fun, but my cohort of friends are PC players so I didn't have anyone to go in on VS with that I knew. Hopefully one day that will change, but single player its not great. I've held off on Skyrim as I've played it for probably 1000 hours outside of the switch and doubt it will hold my attention again. Also I don't want to pay for it a fourth time.

Dragonquest Builders looks fantastic. The demo was a lot of fun.

Terraria apparently dropped the Switch support? The removed everything about coming to the switch in 2017 from their website.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    PSA for anyone playing Darkest Dungeon
    For people who bought the game with the DLC, don't turn it on just yet. There is a bug that will stop you from progressing.

Basically, missions in Courtyard (apart from the first one) are very long, but you can stop at any time and come back to the dungeon later on to continue. There is a bug on Switch though that makes the dungeon restart every time you enter it. This makes them nearly impossible to complete. On top of that, a disease will spread among your ranks if you don't complete these missions for a prolonged periods of time (won't give the details as I want to avoid spoilers). Red Hook is apparently working on a patch, but who knows how long it will take.

Alternatively, if you have already started a game with CC enabled but haven't done the "burn the hive" mission, you can avoid doing that - it should help, too.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Does Gorogoa play via touch when undocked?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    As long as we're all asking about games, anyone tried Darkest Dungeon on Switch yet? I recall hearing that the controls were pretty hard to wrangle and deal with on PS4 and Vita... and I've heard that text is impossibly tiny on Switch... but anyone have an opinion on how playable it is on Switch? I'd prefer not to deal with touch control, since I hate smudging up my screen, but it's a game that seems like it'd be perfect for the platform (if they've solved the control issues).

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Axiom Verge is an almost-great Metroidvania that desperately needed an editing pass or three to polish. Between 20+ weapons with no clear intended use case, inconsistent/find the block destructibles, and bosses with huge invincibile areas/phases that are best beaten by facetanking to DPS race when they are vulnerable, it was consistently flawed in minor ways that kept me from loving it

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    As long as we're all asking about games, anyone tried Darkest Dungeon on Switch yet? I recall hearing that the controls were pretty hard to wrangle and deal with on PS4 and Vita... and I've heard that text is impossibly tiny on Switch... but anyone have an opinion on how playable it is on Switch? I'd prefer not to deal with touch control, since I hate smudging up my screen, but it's a game that seems like it'd be perfect for the platform (if they've solved the control issues).

I can confirm that the text is annoyingly small, but I'm starting to get used to it, and it's otherwise a great port (aside from that bug mentioned above). I'm finding the controls are great using a mix of touch and controller, but would probably get pretty annoying to just use a controller. There are just too many menus and different stats and abilities that you are constantly looking through.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Terraria apparently dropped the Switch support? The removed everything about coming to the switch in 2017 from their website.

@Drez

Though I can imagine it's just smart to remove "Coming 2017" from your site when you're a month into 2018.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Oh god Drez is going to start breaking things now.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Possible.

Though I personally think it's just removing the "2017" and with 1.3 in Cert for X1 and due out before the end of the month they're going to enter full bore development on the Switch port. Especially with how well other indie (and even quasi-indie) games have been doing on the platform.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    akjak wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Man Nintendo, they have a license to print money and just refuse.

I wanted to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for my son and I yesterday. He's 3 and a few weeks ago we tried it in a demo station and he had so much fun so I decided yesterday was the day for his first game. We went to best buy, grabbed a case and brought it up to the front, turns out they didn't actually have any in the back. Checked online and no Best Buy's in the Vancouver region have it. Check EBGames, neither Vancouver EB has it. We went to London Drugs, not a single LD in the region has it (there are a good 8 of them here). We went to 4 different Shopper's Drug Marts, none of them have it. He was super sad. That night after bed I hit up 5 more Shopper's locations (these places never answer the phone and are small but they all tend to carry popular video games), no luck.

One of the guys at London Drugs told me that Nintendo hasn't sent a copy of Mario Kart to anywhere in the Vancouver Network in over a month and it's insane as it's their most popular game. Fed up I noticed Amazon had it in stock, I have prime so I ordered it last night expecting it to be here Tuesday. Instead it showed up at 8am this morning (now that's some good service amazon!) and we can play tonight after school!

So happy ending but what in the fuck Nintendo?!

You could have just bought it digital in your underwear, and never left your house?

I regret buying MK8 physical. It's pretty annoying to swap the cartridge to play 20 minutes with my 3yo, and then have to swap BotW back in.

I only ever buy games digitally for my PC, PS4, and Xbox One. I love the all digital future! I can sign into any console, redownlaod my games, get a new console, no issues, have two consoles and share games with my kids, it's great!

oh wait, it's 2018 and nintendo's 3rd internet connected console and you can't do any of that? huh, boy that seems dumb. Guess I better not fucking buy anything from them digitally then. And again, this is the switch's most popular game, people are trying to buy it and can't, the entire city has been sold out for a month but for some reason Amazon's local depot has a ton of them and were able to get me a copy 12 hours after ordering. Nintendo is fucking this up.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

I'm equal parts mortified at indirectly harassing someone on these forums and curious because I am excited about sidescrolling shenanigans.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

I wanted to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for my son and I yesterday. He's 3 and a few weeks ago we tried it in a demo station and he had so much fun so I decided yesterday was the day for his first game. We went to best buy, grabbed a case and brought it up to the front, turns out they didn't actually have any in the back. Checked online and no Best Buy's in the Vancouver region have it. Check EBGames, neither Vancouver EB has it. We went to London Drugs, not a single LD in the region has it (there are a good 8 of them here). We went to 4 different Shopper's Drug Marts, none of them have it. He was super sad. That night after bed I hit up 5 more Shopper's locations (these places never answer the phone and are small but they all tend to carry popular video games), no luck.

One of the guys at London Drugs told me that Nintendo hasn't sent a copy of Mario Kart to anywhere in the Vancouver Network in over a month and it's insane as it's their most popular game. Fed up I noticed Amazon had it in stock, I have prime so I ordered it last night expecting it to be here Tuesday. Instead it showed up at 8am this morning (now that's some good service amazon!) and we can play tonight after school!

You could have just bought it digital in your underwear, and never left your house?

I regret buying MK8 physical. It's pretty annoying to swap the cartridge to play 20 minutes with my 3yo, and then have to swap BotW back in.

I only ever buy games digitally for my PC, PS4, and Xbox One. I love the all digital future! I can sign into any console, redownlaod my games, get a new console, no issues, have two consoles and share games with my kids, it's great!

oh wait, it's 2018 and nintendo's 3rd internet connected console and you can't do any of that? huh, boy that seems dumb. Guess I better not fucking buy anything from them digitally then. And again, this is the switch's most popular game, people are trying to buy it and can't, the entire city has been sold out for a month but for some reason Amazon's local depot has a ton of them and were able to get me a copy 12 hours after ordering. Nintendo is fucking this up.

Welp. All is lost.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Well I mean, It actually *is* unacceptable that nintendo's online service is as bad as it is in 2018. The competitors have had things for literally a decade that Nintendo still can't do.

The core games are just good enough that enough of a segment still buys them. That shouldn't excuse Nintendo for being bad at online.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Why is it Nintendo's fault that the stores aren't ordering copies? I'm very confused.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Welp. All is lost.

https://youtu.be/A-LHqF8asIw

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Why is it Nintendo's fault that the stores aren't ordering copies? I'm very confused.

It sounds like the stores would like to order more but Nintendo isn't supplying any. Makes me wonder if they somehow treated MK8 like the NES Classic, a limited run thing they didn't thing would be a long term seller. Not enough concrete info to determine though.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

fourth

well sixth I guess if you count handhelds

GC
    Wii
    Wii U (when it worked lolol)

DS (I think)?
    3DS/2DS

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Mario Kart 8 Switch is available at Amazon, so I dunno why we're angry?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

It sounds like the stores would like to order more but Nintendo isn't supplying any. Makes me wonder if they somehow treated MK8 like the NES Classic, a limited run thing they didn't thing would be a long term seller. Not enough concrete info to determine though.

I'm not sure how you are getting to this conclusion. It seems a lot more likely that stores just have a shortage after the christmas rush.

I really don't understand why people think Nintendo is trying so hard to avoid selling their games!

sig.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Because good things don't happen.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I love rhythm games, but I don't enjoy Japanese/Korean technopop. I wish there were more available with, like, rock, or movie-score-style instrumentals, or even classical music.* (In games where you can use your own tracks, the actual gameplay always feels disconnected from the music, which defeats the purpose.)

*I downloaded Frederic: Resurrection of Music specifically because of the Chopin angle. It sucked and I didn't finish it.

Calica on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I have to say, I have never really had much of a problem with Nintendo's online stuff?

Heck, my brother recently got a PS4 for christmas and he couldn't play his new console until a week later, because he couldn't play without a PSN account (even to play offline) and Sony's servers were borked. I got a Switch at the same time and I was connected inside of five minutes, and dowloading Odyssey from the pack-in code was quick and painless.

Admittedly, I'm a low-online kind of customer. My general feeling on online multiplayer is "why would I DO that". So you may take my experiences with a grain of salt.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

It's not Nintendo's fault that stores aren't ordering copies (unless they are, and aren't being supplied), but itis their fault that their account and online systems are still garbage shit in 2018.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I have to say, I have never really had much of a problem with Nintendo's online stuff?

Heck, my brother recently got a PS4 for christmas and he couldn't play his new console until a week later, because he couldn't play without a PSN account (even to play offline) and Sony's servers were borked. I got a Switch at the same time and I was connected inside of five minutes, and dowloading Odyssey from the pack-in code was quick and painless.

Admittedly, I'm a low-online kind of customer. My general feeling on online multiplayer is "why would I DO that". So you may take my experiences with a grain of salt.

I'm with ya. I am either solo, couch coop, or online with only friends. I don't care for much else so I'm good.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      SyphonBlue wrote: »

It's not Nintendo's fault that stores aren't ordering copies (unless they are, and aren't being supplied), but itis their fault that their account and online systems are still garbage shit in 2018.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I was commenting on, but sure whatever.

• Options
      edited January 2018

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I was commenting on, but sure whatever.

lol uhh ok but it has to do with the original comment I was making so...

I'd love to either a) buy digitally or b) buy physically but Nintendo made it shitty to do both :)

I know the switch is good and this is a nintendo love-in thread but I think it's still on point to call nintendo out on the shit they do badly.

Hardtarget on
      steam_sig.png
      kHDRsTc.png
    • Options

I'd love to either a) buy digitally or b) buy physically but Nintendo made it shitty to do both :)

I know the switch is good and this is a nintendo love-in thread but I think it's still on point to call nintendo out on the shit they do badly.

You do you man. If you blaming Nintendo for somehow not stocking stores in Vancouver is what you feel like doing, go you.

• Options

See, even downloading games on Nintendo's platforms isn't as good as the other providers. I will fully say that it's painless, but quick is not a term I would use. When docked, my switch sits beside my Xbox One S, and above my PS4. All 4 devices are less than 3 feet from the wifi access point.

I can download a game from Microsoft at 100mbit/s. From sony it averages 70ish, depending on the day. On the switch? 15. So either the wifi on the switch is that bad, or Nintendo's servers are that slow, but it is a completely inferior experience compared to the competitors.

It is 100% as easy to buy a game online as it is from Sony or Microsoft. I do not dispute that. But then actually downloading is nowhere near as good.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • Options
      SniperGuy wrote: »

I'm not sure how you are getting to this conclusion. It seems a lot more likely that stores just have a shortage after the christmas rush.

I really don't understand why people think Nintendo is trying so hard to avoid selling their games!

Hardtarget said
      One of the guys at London Drugs told me that Nintendo hasn't sent a copy of Mario Kart to anywhere in the Vancouver Network in over a month and it's insane as it's their most popular game.

Which sounds like the stores have requested more but haven't received any yet, which could be for any number of reasons, but Nintendo mismanaging supply wouldn't exactly be unheard of. Although apparently they learned their lesson with the SNES Classics, supposedly those are everywhere now.

• Options
      akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
      Speaking to another criticism upthread: Game purchases are tied to a Nintendo account now, so you can absolutely redownload them to new systems. They also made it easy to buy and play things from the JP store? So why are people still mad about digital again?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
      Twitch: akThera
      Steam: Thera
    • Options
      SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
      edited January 2018

What exactly is Nintendo doing badly about physical copies? You haven't really said anything about that other than going to the store and they didn't have it.

SageinaRage on
      sig.gif
    • Options
      Speaking to another criticism upthread: Game purchases are tied to a Nintendo account now, so you can absolutely redownload them to new systems. They also made it easy to buy and play things from the JP store? So why are people still mad about digital again?

you can't tie your account to more than one system at a time, save games are locked to system memory on one device with absolutely no way to move them. Legit gripes

• Options

Well they did still outright lie about friend codes, I'm still pretty annoyed about that. Also no cloud saves or the ability to backup your own saves. And the app for voice chat is ridiculous. Basically Nintendo has a lot of the same functionality but in way jankier ways than people are used to on other consoles or PC.

Surprised to hear the download speeds are slow, I haven't tried to test mine but the PS4 ones are notoriously bad so hopefully it is better than that. I haven't noticed having much trouble but I guess I haven't downloaded that much.

• Options
      edited January 2018
      wunderbar wrote: »

See, even downloading games on Nintendo's platforms isn't as good as the other providers. I will fully say that it's painless, but quick is not a term I would use. When docked, my switch sits beside my Xbox One S, and above my PS4. All 4 devices are less than 3 feet from the wifi access point.

I can download a game from Microsoft at 100mbit/s. From sony it averages 70ish, depending on the day. On the switch? 15. So either the wifi on the switch is that bad, or Nintendo's servers are that slow, but it is a completely inferior experience compared to the competitors.

It is 100% as easy to buy a game online as it is from Sony or Microsoft. I do not dispute that. But then actually downloading is nowhere near as good.

I think this is a situational thing. Downloading Mariocart for me over wifi took, like, 15 minutes.

Also you only download the game once, and then you go and play it? And as you are downloading in your house you can actually walk around with your switch playing something else, rather than the console being bricked.

These seem like "I want to find a problem" problems.

And downloading digitally through the switch is as simple and easy as Steam or the PS4.

Enc on
    • Options
      MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
      My main worry with buying digital from Nintendo is being able to easily link my account with a new Switch were I to need to replace mine or get a 2nd.

I am ignorant to the details, so is it simple or a hassle? I remember U owners having trouble with it.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    • Options
      edited January 2018

haha oh i wish

naw, you can only download it to your one switch. If your switch gets stolen and you call nintendo they will make an exception and let you download it to your new switch and fuck your saves.

Hardtarget on
      steam_sig.png
      kHDRsTc.png
    • Options
      Mulletude wrote: »
      My main worry with buying digital from Nintendo is being able to easily link my account with a new Switch were I to need to replace mine or get a 2nd.

I am ignorant to the details, so is it simple or a hassle? I remember U owners having trouble with it.

That was a launch problem, there is totally a way to do it now:
      http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22453/~/how-to-transfer-digital-games-/-nintendo-accounts-between-nintendo-switch

• Options
      Enc wrote: »
      wunderbar wrote: »

I think this is a situational thing. Downloading Mariocart for me over wifi took, like, 15 minutes.

Also you only download the game once, and then you go and play it? And as you are downloading in your house you can actually walk around with your switch playing something else, rather than the console being bricked.

These seem like "I want to find a problem" problems.

You can play games on the other consoles while they're downloading too, they aren't "bricked."

But also "I want to play this game within the hour" is a problem that can be solved by going to a brick and mortar store, but often can't be solved by downloading. Plus then you have to buy an SD card to make up for Nintendo's shortfall in that area, and can't trade the game back in or sell it later. Pros and cons.

This discussion has been closed.