As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Friday the 13th : The Game] - Jason lives ... you wont. Out now PS4/Steam/Xbone

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Jason was a "relatively" human slasher in the first 5 movies. Only after that did they start with the silly magic zombie stuff because let's face it you just run out of ideas at a certain point.

Friday the 13th was pretty much the Saw of the 80s.

Movies 2 - 4 all take place like over a 2 week period. Literally every time Jason gets taken down he get slightly more pissed. Part 4 is literally Jason with a Maxed Out Rage meter. He ran out of all fucks to give and was just out to murder everything in his path.

Kane Hodder might have defined undead Jason, but Part 4 Jason literally was like "I could come inside but I'll just grab you through this window and slam you into your car below."

Kane Hodder is probably the worst Jason out of all of them.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    You're crazy!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    He was a zombie murderer that kept gasping like a weightlifter and having weird jerky body motions. Plus he's bizarrely short and squat. Like a Zombie Dwarf Jason.

Dude was awful.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That's so raven! :so_raven:

That's so raven! :so_raven:

no that's The Crow

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Kane is 6'2. How tall do you think Jason should be?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    At least 6'3''!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    That's what the boots are for!

Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Kane is 6'2. How tall do you think Jason should be?

5'10''

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Now I'm really confused.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Jason doesn't have to be any minimum height, best Jason is still this dude who was fairly average:

jasonpitchfork.jpg

One of my problems with Kane Hodder is he made Jason look short, squat and thick as a wrestler no matter his actual height. Jason was a regular guy, not the Hulk.

You must hate Kirzinger Jason.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Jason is a pretty normal looking guy size wise for his first outing. He also gets taken down pretty easily in the first 3 once people are on to the fact he is killing people. (Fact check, haven’t seen 4 in years, just watched 2 & 3)

The meta narrative this supports is that as Jason becomes more of folklore / legend the tales become taller. He goes from average size guy that is good at murder when he is sneaky to an unstoppable force of nature that will straight murder anything.

I love the meta narrative in the F13 series.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    And just to be clear, the mechanics in this game make him always undead magic Jason. You can just chang his skin to the earlier movies.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited January 2018
    Jason is a pretty normal looking guy size wise for his first outing. He also gets taken down pretty easily in the first 3 once people are on to the fact he is killing people. (Fact check, haven’t seen 4 in years, just watched 2 & 3)

The meta narrative this supports is that as Jason becomes more of folklore / legend the tales become taller. He goes from average size guy that is good at murder when he is sneaky to an unstoppable force of nature that will straight murder anything.

I love the meta narrative in the F13 series.

Warrington Gillette was 6'1". One inch shorter than Kane Hodder. And the only reason Kane looked like a tank in 7 was because of all the prosthetics. He looked much slimmer in 8.

EDIT

Richard Brooker (part 3) 6'3"
    Ted White (part 4) 6'4"

Capt Howdy on
    Camera angles often matter more then actor size. I’d argue they start presenting Jason as a bigger more mythic figure.

He is giant in the game at least.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    People like the physicality Hodder brings to the role, not his dimensions

Incoming Jason balance changes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/F13thegame/comments/7szb37/upcoming_jason_balance_changes/?st=JCVCDTJP&sh=0defea2f

Think they missed an opportunity by not nerfing stun.

I'm just waiting for Uber-Jason and the Grendel map.

And I don't. His physicality is the worst part of his performance. The dimensions are a distant second.

I am confused why the devs nerfed Jason to begin with. Surviving should be a rarity in the game, why make it easier to survive? Jason should have every conceivable advantage from the get go.

edited January 2018
    I am confused why the devs nerfed Jason to begin with. Surviving should be a rarity in the game, why make it easier to survive? Jason should have every conceivable advantage from the get go.

Should it be tho? I mean, like, honest question. What do we think the survival ratio should be realistically? For example, I've had like a 7 game streak in Dead by Daylight where we've had full wipes and honestly I've lost all interest in playing it now.

My one real issue with F13, other than bugs, is that once Jason finds you it's pretty much 100% distract him as long as you can to give others time to do stuff because you WILL be dead and very soon.

Magic Pink on

I agree with you, but I guess it makes sense on their end. If someone prefers playing as a counselor and just dies all the time, maybe they wont play the game as much.

If you want a game with similar gameplay, but also where the not-killers usually win, go play Dead By Daylight! Survivor is easy win mode compared to playing as the killer... Unless you run into MLG pro killer, holy shit.

Skull2185 wrote: »

I agree with you, but I guess it makes sense on their end. If someone prefers playing as a counselor and just dies all the time, maybe they wont play the game as much.

If you want a game with similar gameplay, but also where the not-killers usually win, go play Dead By Daylight! Survivor is easy win mode compared to playing as the killer... Unless you run into MLG pro killer, holy shit.

I've been playing DBD on PC and PS4 and I don;t know what the heck it is but on PC I'm fine, maybe 40% escape rate.

PS4, no such luck. I think I've escaped a grand total of twice? Had some other folks get out and then recently just non stop total kills.

Huh, is it a specific monster you keep running into? Both Freddy, and that electricity doctor guy seem a bit OP to me. Those are the games I usually didn't live through.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

And I don't. His physicality is the worst part of his performance. The dimensions are a distant second.

Fair enough!

Huh, is it a specific monster you keep running into? Both Freddy, and that electricity doctor guy seem a bit OP to me. Those are the games I usually didn't live through.

Nah, pretty much everyone. But I will say on the PS4 the killers camp the hooks a LOT more often than on PC.

But yeah Freddy and the Doctor are hard as hell. And Freddy apparently got a huge nerf a few weeks back.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I think having the win rates closer to 60/40 on the side of the killer is better for the game than 50/50 balance. Having a group of counselors work together to have an advantage against Jason should be the way it goes. No one (or even two) counselor(s) should have a 50/50 win rate against Jason, that's ridiculous IMO.

You want the counselors to feel like they're being challenged. No, the win rates don't need to lean towards impossible like 80/20, I agree that would definitely hurt the player base. However, even just from an immersion stand point, if you as a human feel like you can take on a killer toe to toe with the tools the game provides then IMO it lessens the experience by making the killer seem incompetent.

KoopahTroopah on
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Should it be tho? I mean, like, honest question. What do we think the survival ratio should be realistically? For example, I've had like a 7 game streak in Dead by Daylight where we've had full wipes and honestly I've lost all interest in playing it now.

My one real issue with F13, other than bugs, is that once Jason finds you it's pretty much 100% distract him as long as you can to give others time to do stuff because you WILL be dead and very soon.

Going by the movies, no more than two people should ever survive. I'd argue living every 8 matches feels about right. Granted that's just how I feel based on the movies. Jason having to flee a pack of Chads should never, ever, happen. Though I do wonder if that's because people piss and moan when Jason uses slashing instead of grabs. Given how many pocket knives people have these days, slashing is a respectable kill method, IMHO.

edited January 2018
    Looks like we're getting Roy Burns "Jason" and a new map for free on the 30th.

Nice.

EDIT for video.

https://youtu.be/MczKDq-zO30

Capt Howdy on
    Looks like they nailed his pros and cons.

6ovjfus68z0b.jpg

• PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Interesting side note: The director of Jason Goes to Hell said he was trying to make it canon that Pamela used the Necronomicon to bring Jason back as a deadite. Which explains why it made an appearance in the movie. The studio said no, and they didn't have the rights.

How does that work, Lovecraft has been public domain for quite a while.

Phant wrote: »
    Interesting side note: The director of Jason Goes to Hell said he was trying to make it canon that Pamela used the Necronomicon to bring Jason back as a deadite. Which explains why it made an appearance in the movie. The studio said no, and they didn't have the rights.

Deadite is a reference to Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, not Lovecraft (which the Necronomicon in ED is paying homage to).

And Evil Dead is not public domain.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Phant wrote: »

Raimie on let the director use the book and the knife as a nod to Evil Dead. Much like how Jason's mask and Freddy's glove appeared in the cabin in Evil dead. It wasn't meant to be a plot point.

The end of JGTH was intended to setup Freddy vs Jason, but New Line screwed the pooch for about a decade. The comic series Freddy vs Jason vs Ash was initially a movie script, but that obviously never came to be.

Props to the dev team for trying to recreate Violet's incredible '80s dance.

I wonder if they'll also change up Tommy on that map to be the buff, troubled youth Tommy.

The end of JGTH was intended to setup Freddy vs Jason, but New Line screwed the pooch for about a decade. The comic series Freddy vs Jason vs Ash was initially a movie script, but that obviously never came to be.

In fairness it’s not a very good script. At least it’s better then the sequel.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Props to the dev team for trying to recreate Violet's incredible '80s dance.

I wonder if they'll also change up Tommy on that map to be the buff, troubled youth Tommy.

COREY FELDMAN TOMMY!!!

That would be pretty cool too. Maybe he doesn't get a gun, but young Tommy could have the same stun effect that Pamela's sweater has. Make young Tommy look all weird with the shaved head, and maybe once or twice he can stun Jason briefly.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    That would be pretty cool too. Maybe he doesn't get a gun, but young Tommy could have the same stun effect that Pamela's sweater has. Make young Tommy look all weird with the shaved head, and maybe once or twice he can stun Jason briefly.

I dont see them doing a young Tommy Jarvis, not only would they have to mocap a kid running around, and they would have to do a lot of work doing all kills as well which would likely mean bringing Kane back in. All of that eventually points to the real elephant in the room.

No game is going to depict the graphic death of a child, especially not in this day and age.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041