As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Russia/US investigation thread] - Mueller seeks to question Trump

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'm so glad they've mainstreamed Alex Jones.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I think it is only a matter of time before Trump absorbs the paranoia from a lot of people like Ron Johnson enough to fire another person in an obstructey way.

Senator Ron Johnson is saying there is a secret society in the government that wants to overthrow Trump.

TPM editor:

You mean the Criminal Investigation Division? Yeah, they have jackets and everything.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I knew I was off and didn't care... I didn't know I was THAT off and now am ashamed.

Are you sure you didn't mean a Toioata Supena?

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I knew I was off and didn't care... I didn't know I was THAT off and now am ashamed.

Are you sure you didn't mean a Toioata Supena?

Ctrl+C, Ctrl+T, Ctrl+V, Enter.

...still confused.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    I think it is only a matter of time before Trump absorbs the paranoia from a lot of people like Ron Johnson enough to fire another person in an obstructey way.

Senator Ron Johnson is saying there is a secret society in the government that wants to overthrow Trump.

TPM editor:

You mean the Criminal Investigation Division? Yeah, they have jackets and everything.

The overall narrative, for the last two and a half years, has been 'everybody is unfairly out to get Trump (by quoting the actual things he says)'. The specific everybody varies from week to week depending on just who they're trying to rile up.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Maybe the bowling group that meets on Thursdays need to change their team name

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

TPM editor:

Stupid conspiracy theories like this aren't really on topic in this thread

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

TPM editor:

He's a sitting member of Congress, though...

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

TPM editor:

Even when espoused by the Chair of the United States Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs?

Because he is the Chair of the United States Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Reality makes me sad.

moniker on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

TPM editor:

Even when espoused by the Chair of the United States Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs?

Because he is the Chair of the United States Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. Reality makes me sad.

Yes. Let's move on.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The connection to the Russia investigation is that Johnson is claiming Strzok and Page (who were on the the Russia investigation team briefly) discussed a "Secret Society" in the two weeks following the 2016 election.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/23/politics/fbi-strzok-texts-details/index.html

The intention apparently is to imply that Mueller's team is part of a conspiracy to remove Trump from office.

Archangle on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    One, it's a conspiracy composed of everyone who understands what a disaster he is for the US and how utterly unfit he is to be President, which is somewhere around half the country.
    Two, it's hardly secret.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    For people who like to remind us how often we are to avoid taking the president seriously when he says something stupid because "he's obviously joking", they sure are taking that obvious joke seriously.

madparrot on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Not bolded there is the fact that the sitting POTUS criticized the acting FBI director's wife for taking contributions for the other political party

Honestly, that's probably way more disturbing to Wray than the fact that the President asked him who he voted for

Once again another thing that would have destroyed Obamas presidency if he did it, but since it's a republican idiot nobody really cares. Media horse race!

TBH that didn't work out so well so maybe Trump is trying to learn from the last administration's mistakes.
    Prohass wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Not bolded there is the fact that the sitting POTUS criticized the acting FBI director's wife for taking contributions for the other political party

Honestly, that's probably way more disturbing to Wray than the fact that the President asked him who he voted for

Once again another thing that would have destroyed Obamas presidency if he did it, but since it's a republican idiot nobody really cares. Media horse race!

It seems like disallowing adverse or retaliatory action against someone based on how they vote would be fundamental to a healthy state...but is it actually illegal?

Lol at the idea we're a healthy state. My job pool is definitely smaller because of my openness about my leanings and activism. Every company I've worked for has had deeply Randian Libertarian ownership, leadership, and management and it was near impossible to advance if you weren't the same kind of sharky sociopathic asshole. In the Bay Area.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Another interview we didn’t know about, from Reuters.

JUST IN: CIA Director Pompeo has been interviewed as part of U.S. Special Counsel Mueller's Russia probe: report

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’ll also predict that Mueller is building the obstruction case first because it’s probably easier to substantiate and also provides a kind of failsafe in the case he is removed.

That he wants to speak to Trump when he predicts the investigation will continue through 2018 leads me to believe this.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2018
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I’ll also predict that Mueller is building the obstruction case first because it’s probably easier to substantiate and also provides a kind of failsafe in the case he is removed.

That he wants to speak to Trump when he predicts the investigation will continue through 2018 leads me to believe this.

Obstruction is also a much easier case to make, considering Trump admitted to it on television to Lester Holt, and also to Russian diplomats. I could see him closing that book shortly while still keeping the ball rolling on collusion / cooperation with a foreign power during 2016.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I would speculate the other way and that the money laundering is an open and closed case but obstruction is hard to prove.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Although really it’s money laundering, obstruction, and foreign collusion ALL AT ONCE like some sort of illegal Neopolitan ice cream so who knows. :P

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I would speculate the other way and that the money laundering is an open and closed case but obstruction is hard to prove.

It's easy to prove Trump is involved with money launderers, harder to prove he was personally involved.

Collusion with Russia is going to be the hardest thing to prove. Which is funny, since he son openly admitted to it.

Mueller is probably going to focus questions on obstruction, but slip in a few questions about other things.

• Options
    Oh and a few others.

NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: Mueller’s team has spoken with CIA Director Mike Pompeo, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, Mike Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency, & former FBI Director James Comey

Jesse Rodriguez is the booking director for MSNBC.

Another tweet from NBC confirmed Sally Yates as well, and that Bannon would be interviewed before Jan. 31st.

• Options
    Dan Coates and Mike Rogers both definitely had answers to “did the President pressure you.” That they refused to give to the senate intelligence committee in a public setting.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Money laundering is easiest to prove but it is only loosely connected to the issue of Russian interference in the election.

Obstruction of Justice is both more provable than "collusion" (which is NOT a legal term) and directly relates to the crime committed by Trump & his followers of trying to thwart investigation into the issue of Russian interference in the election

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Will Trump be under oath? My thought is no. And if he is then he's fucked not because he will screw up but because they already have enough for a Supena because that's the only way he testifies under oath after Clinton didn't have to

Subpoena

Yeah it's a real dumb word, isn't it :p

It may very well be the best word depending on if/when Mueller gets one for Trump.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm curious to see where coats and pompeo fall in this. Rogers is retiring within the next few months, pompeo feels like a trump cutout in the cia and coats has been real quiet when I expected it to be the other way around

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Oh and a few others.

NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: Mueller’s team has spoken with CIA Director Mike Pompeo, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, Mike Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency, & former FBI Director James Comey

Jesse Rodriguez is the booking director for MSNBC.

Another tweet from NBC confirmed Sally Yates as well, and that Bannon would be interviewed before Jan. 31st.

Can I just say I love this photo of Flynn that they always use. It's the expression on his face, I get much joy from it.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Perfect that all this dropped right when Glenn Greenwald, who apparently is perpetually stuck in the first half of the previous decade when it comes to political priorities and maturity, spends an interview smugly mocking the entire investigation and the notion that it being allowed to run to a conclusion has any relevance to the nation and its citizens at all.

• Options
    The response from the RNC Chair about Trump asking McCabe who he voted for when he was brought in for an inappropriate interview in the Oval Office when he was serving as acting director after Comey was fired is that it was “Just small talk, just trying to get to know him.”

Just small talk.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The response from the RNC Chair about Trump asking McCabe who he voted for when he was brought in for an inappropriate interview in the Oval Office when he was serving as acting director after Comey was fired is that it was “Just small talk, just trying to get to know him.”

Just small talk.

"Did you vote for me, the person with power over your career and your ongoing investigation" is the probing small talk of a person who really wants to obstruct justice but didn't read the manual

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Just small talk.

Totally. Like how during a job interview sometimes they ask me what religion I am, or whether I'm pregnant. Small talk.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    To be fair, Trump's idea of small talk has always been inappropriate.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Perfect that all this dropped right when Glenn Greenwald, who apparently is perpetually stuck in the first half of the previous decade when it comes to political priorities and maturity, spends an interview smugly mocking the entire investigation and the notion that it being allowed to run to a conclusion has any relevance to the nation and its citizens at all.

Why is Glenn Greenwald still allowed anywhere near any camera?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Why is Glenn Greenwald still allowed anywhere near any camera?

Because the media loves them some Even The Liberal.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    To be fair, Trump's idea of small talk has always been inappropriate.

Trump doesn't do small talk, his talk is the biggest and most important

• Options
    edited January 2018
    The contingent of "Banksy-leftists/South Park-leftists" that are ultra-focused on drone strikes, surveillance and a "Fight the shadowy cabal with your hacking" ethos are extremely unprepared for the manipulations of Russian and alt-right voices.

Well-meaning anti-authoritarian Chelsea Manning being used and exploited by misogynist maniac and authoritarian-lackey Julian Assange is basically the best illustration of how the leftists disappointed by Obama not living up to their crazy expectations got roped in by nihilism and saying things like "Russophobic warmongering from neocons".

Greenwald genuinely straight-up says "Who fucking cares if Trump colluded with the Russians" because when Obama did not pledge to stop all drone strikes and tear down Gitmo with his own hands, Greenwald decided nothing really mattered anymore, and never would again. There are countless basic boys I encounter on 4chan that like to pretend they don't like Trump but were super-scared that Clinton would nuke Russia on day one over the Syria issue, and also like to pretend they were super upset by drone strikes under Obama's administration.

The "Everyone who doesn't like Putin and wants Mueller to keep working is either a neocon or an establishment military-industrial complex (((globalist))) cuck" is definitely a talking point that has been disseminated well to the gullible young men of all stripes.

Absalon on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The contingent of "Banksy-leftists/South Park-leftists" that are ultra-focused on drone strikes, surveillance and a "Fight the shadowy cabal with your hacking" ethos are extremely unprepared for the manipulations of Russian and alt-right voices.

Well-meaning anti-authoritarian Chelsea Manning being used and exploited by misogynist maniac and authoritarian-lackey Julian Assange is basically the best illustration of how the leftists disappointed by Obama not living up to their crazy expectations got roped in by nihilism and saying things like "Russophobic warmongering from neocons".

Its the main reason I remain a Fairey leftist and maybe a Hunter Thompson leftist as opposed to a Banksy leftist.
    Cynicism without a core of romance or hope is fucking dour.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Also, men/boys like Greenwald all think they have a right and a reason to hate Clinton as much as they hate, I dunno, Henry Kissinger, and the loss must all be her fault because she is an evil dumb SJW neocon shit-lady that is very bad and maybe even worse than Trump, and anything suggesting loaded dice detracts from that. The people that genuinely want the DNC to tack to the left and people that have simply always hated Clinton sometimes get very riled about Russia talk for that reason.

Absalon on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is not a thread to yell about Glenn Greenwald, so knock it off.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I mean yes in the sense that that "Secret Society" is like, most of the rest of the government.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I mean yes in the sense that that "Secret Society" is like, most of the rest of the government world.

This discussion has been closed.