As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Anyone notice
    The mind bank thingies obviously becomes the Tessalector organization? It was a bad plan!

I think that was unrelated, from a possibly
    earlier time travel technology. Testimony seemed far more advanced.
    Why does anybody have primitive time travel technology? Just, you know, jump forward and get the good stuff

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Anyone notice
    The mind bank thingies obviously becomes the Tessalector organization? It was a bad plan!

Why does anybody have primitive time travel technology? Just, you know, jump forward and get the good stuff
    Jack's wristband jumper thingy was supposed to be pretty bargain basement if not jury-rigged at best so maybe there's a market for cheapest job done, like government contractor work

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Anyone notice

Because jumping around in time is dangerous, likely to land you in the middle of a cyberman upgrade orgy, or a dalek murder party or who knows how many other horrible ways to die that you, as an amateur time traveler, aren't Doctor enough Doctor your way out of.
    Best to take the slow road forward until you've got gadgets and gizmos (and maybe guns) to get you out of whatever jam you find yourself stuck in, and by then, presumably your time travel tech is no longer primitive looking.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

Something I found was people animating the radio/audio plays of Dr who
    SO I am curious how this one will turn out if they do the same thing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfa4-1vLz38

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    So, uh, what's up with that Laz-E-Cyberman?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    A cyber controller?

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Watching the Special, finally. Have been avoiding Who for [REASONS] It’s not bad!

Edit: Onions were chopped.

HyperBallad on
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    This was a great Christmas special.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    We have a couple of new pictures of Thirteen from Doctor Who Magazine:
    tumblr_p278tgSyHx1wipvwjo1_540.jpg
    tumblr_p278tgSyHx1wipvwjo2_540.jpg

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I’ve just realised that with the hood that jacket looks kind of like a graduation robe. Which is entirely appropriate.

• Options
  • Options
    Oddly enough, when Harris is talking about "memorable characters" from Moffatt's run, he completely leaves out the Paternoster Gang for some reason. I mean, I'm not really a fan of them (they could have used a couple of build up episodes instead of just turning up fully formed with zero backstories), but if he had wanted to do the End of Time thing, they ought to have shown up. Also Danny Pink could have had an extra final send-off!

• Options
    I like that guy's production values

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I actually liked the episode but I can't really find anything that hbomberguy is wrong about

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I actually liked the episode but I can't really find anything that hbomberguy is wrong about

I'm pretty onboard with most of his video
    except that I really enjoyed that it was a no-stakes episode. (Although yes Testimony could've just said at basically any point that it wasn't evil.) Moffat's done enough in the way of sizable stakes, particularly for his finales, though he did finally start to lower them towards the end.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He just seems to realize the Christmas eps are the lower side of the show usually, but then needs to make a video about it like it's news. Even if this one is better than the norm.

It didn't need to do anything but be entertaining to watch, which it seems to have done to some degree for most.

He also clearly has a bone to pick with Moffat. Even when Moffat wasn't in charge...or maybe it was just edited to come across that way (on accident).

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    So the Daily Mail is reporting that the Christmas Special has landed the Beeb in hot water. (Spoilered for Christmas special spoilers, just to be safe.)
    The estate of the original creators of The Brigadier are seeking legal action, because Gatiss’ character, The Captain, was not created with their authorisation. The fact that The Captain is the Brig’s grandfather is believed by the estate to be infringing on their character rights and intellectual copyright.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    *sigh* Sounds like someone is looking for a quick check. Can't just take the complement of a vague homage to a beloved character, they have to own and monitize every aspect of it.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    13 semi-official Doctor Who spin-offs you've almost certainly never heard of

See, this is why the show shouldn't go off the air. Doctor Who fans do very weird things when they're not getting regular infusions.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Not that she didn't have to, but the article doesn't say she had to ask. Just that she made sure. We need more information. Seems likely they low balled it, but who knows.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I'm finally getting through season 10. I generally like it quite a bit. I just finished episode 6 (Extremis). There hasn't been a really stand out episode yet but I just really like watching Capaldi be the doctor and the companions are good

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I'm finally getting through season 10. I generally like it quite a bit. I just finished episode 6 (Extremis). There hasn't been a really stand out episode yet but I just really like watching Capaldi be the doctor and the companions are good

I'm in the same spot you are and really liked Extremis, but I'm waiting for something actually-meaty for Capaldi to get at to come up. They've done a real good job establishing the relationships that will matter this season 'til now, though!

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

I'm in the same spot you are and really liked Extremis, but I'm waiting for something actually-meaty for Capaldi to get at to come up. They've done a real good job establishing the relationships that will matter this season 'til now, though!

Extremis is a beautiful episode. The next few? Not so much.

• Options
    My amazon order came in.
    pv0r5hjwpel4.jpeg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    so I'm catching up on the three seasons of Dr Who I've missed and I just got to S10E2 and
    shit they've Whovianed my job

also Bill is great.

• Options
    Bill was fantastic and I thought she was going to be the worst

• Options
    Bill wasn't around long enough it felt like to be fantastic, they didn't have time to work up to it.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Bill dethroned Donna as my favorite modern companion. Which I wasn't sure was ever going to happen.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2018
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Bill wasn't around long enough it felt like to be fantastic, they didn't have time to work up to it.

Does a character need three seasons to end up being fantastic? Bill was great and it's a crying shame she isn't continuing.

EDIT: I noticed the Radio 4 Extra is putting on some of the Tom Baker audio dramas, so if you're interested bag them on the iPlayer while they're still there. Every once in a while they'll stick a few of these on, but they're only available for download for about a month.

Bogart on
  • Options
    No, they don't need it necessarily. But not much on this show is "fantastic" so she's not an exception. Unless, of course, she is and it is to you.

Putting her above Donna is outright madness, however.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    she's way less shouty than Donna, which is nice.

• Options
    Donna has a debut episode where she's the worst person in the world and Bill doesn't so Bill is the winner on points

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    the followup to extremis was....not very good, huh

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I liked the premise, the whole cutting back and forth to the impending disaster in the lab, but the ending was so very contrived.
    must have been a better way to trap the blind Doctor without such a silly archaic lock, and a more plausible way to restore his sight than I dunno,
    Monks fixed him somehow.

Frustrating part about that latter thing is in the very next episode...
    he does that fake regeneration as a weirdly cruel joke on Bill. She's already passed his lil' test, there's no reason to do that, especially since she has no idea what it means.

It would have been much cleaner to just have him still blind, he is really brainwashed and then Bill actually shoots him, breaking the love spell whatever and freeing everyone else in the room from Monk control too, and then partially regenerate to fix the bullet wounds and his eyesight. He just doesn't change because... he used up most of this life's regeneration energy back in Series 9, giving it to Davros!

It's like they laid all this groundwork for a cool surprise regen fakeout that just meant nothing because they had it happen for asinine reasons.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Also Bill would have no idea what regeneration looked like, so it was just Moffat or whoever wrote it screwing with the only witnesses who would, i.e the audience

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So what Twelfth Doctor episodes are worth watching? I honestly haven't seen any, mostly because I was getting pretty tired of the poor writing from the proceeding seasons.

• Options
    9x11 is his best episode, but you need some build up to get to that. Just skip whatever episode doesn't grab you halfway-ish through or something?

Show lives in hit and miss territory.

• Options
    So what Twelfth Doctor episodes are worth watching? I honestly haven't seen any, mostly because I was getting pretty tired of the poor writing from the proceeding seasons.

I think all of these are worth watching:

Deep Breath
    Into the Dalek
    Listen
    Time Heist
    The Caretaker
    Mummy on the Orient Express
    Flatline
    Dark Water / Death in Heaven
    Last Christmas
    Under the Lake / Before the Flood
    The Girl Who Died / The Woman Who Lived