As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[5E OOC] Before the Darkness - "Who Watches the Poopmen"

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    we might get a high of freezing over here!

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    It's a nice sunny 52F here, but we're apparently due for heavy snow this weekend.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    We on for tonight?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    We on for tonight?

@iguanacus is in Floridana, so no.

• Options
    Oh! Thus, the weather in Disney World! Ok, cool.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    we should hang out anyway, and say not very nice things about him.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    we should hang out anyway, and say not very nice things about him.

There goes your opportunity to see the baby hippo photos.

Also, can one of you Fed Ex a new set of feet to me, over night? I could really do with a new pair.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Nah, now's your chance to get tank treads installed

Superior to feet in all terrains

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Protip for anybody traveling through the Orlando International Airport: don't eat at the Ruby Tuesday for breakfast. The bacon tastes of plastic and it took 25 minutes to get our drinks.

Should have had the Qdoba.

• Options
    Further addendum: if staying in a park hotel, do not do the bus on the return unless you like hanging out in the airport for 2 and a half hours.

• Options
    but the savings

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    hi

are we playing D&D this week

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Hell yeah we are. Time to visit Lowpeak.

• Options
    Ready to go on another shopping episode everybody?

• Options
    If we do, we need a better plan for where to hide the money before we pass through customs.

• Options
    I think I'll write up a blurb on lowpeak for y'all to read before arrival.

• Options
    D&D!

D&D!!

D&D!!!

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Lowpeak
    It's what's before the Highpeaks!
    Lowpeak is a major trading center for the dwarven clans, as well as a very profitable gold mine and mint. Much of the gold traded throughout the land comes from the Lowpeak Mint.
    It once had another, dwarven, name. Humans put an end to that quickly, establishing the trading enclave of Lowpeak outside of the cavernous dwarven city built in to the mountains that rise above this settlement. With a permanent population of roughly 27,000, it also boasts frequent festivals and markets that draw thousands of merchants and tourists on a regular basis.

Within the mount, the Temple of Dumathoin presides over the Mint and Mine, each controlled by a venerable dwarf, and their combined decisions regulate most of the dwarves activity within Lowpeak.
    Outside the mount, the Temple of Waukeen pays a small mercenary company to keep order in the area and chase off bandits, ensuring the area remains attractive for merchants.

Any type of weapon or armor up to a +2 quality can be purchased here, forged from heavy dwarves steel(2x weight) A number of skilled alchemists also reside within the city, and any Rare or lower quality potion can be found. However, the lack of a Spire means Lowpeak is unattractive to wizards, and no other magical items are available for purchase outside of the Temples.

• Options
    I vaguely remember having Mal whip up a Dwarven false identity at the end of last session, since he didn't think his Hobgoblin facade would work out well in a Dwarf community. Does that sound familiar, or did it only happen in my head?

Anyway, it's definitely something he'll be doing now. Günther Hammerhead is a Dwarven fisherman/smuggler from the coast who has come to Lowpeak to get in touch with his heritage. He was probably an orphan raised by sailors, and that's why he's largely ignorant about Dwarf culture. That will be his cover identity for this leg of the adventure. I'll make the rolls to see how well he puts together the disguise and the documentation once we're logged in, I guess.

• Options
    Part of me wants to start spinning out false identities by the dozens for Mal to just have ready, but I'm trying to resist that impulse and only make new ones as they're needed. That feels more appropriate to how Mal would work anyway, he wouldn't want to invest a lot of time in developing a specific voice for a new persona in advance, because then he might feel tied down to details that aren't actually useful, or possibly even counterproductive. Instead, he'd want to make a fairly generic identity when heading into a new situation and then refine the details in response to the circumstances he encounters. It's a riskier approach, but far more flexible.

Rahab is special, because that's an identity backed up by the actual Charlatan background feature, and therefore has shit like lines of credit and a library card.

• Options
    that sounds like something you said

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I do guess having a dwarven face for this part might have some advantages over an elf face, though I don't remember Mal's face abilities outside of being a charisma class.

• Options
    Eels and charm

those are his special abilities

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    tempted to make a Poopman background

because I'm THAT bored

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    D&D tomorrow, you poop perverts!

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I have completed my refresher on the Tin Crown Society, which is fortunate because the version I actually submitted to Rainfall in my backstory differs in a couple key ways from the version that was in my head. Mal's story went through several drafts, and I'd kind of rolled details from a bunch of different versions together.

Not that that really matters to any of you, since he's not going to suddenly become Mr. Helpful And Forthcoming About My Personal Shit, ha ha!

• Options
    Damn it, there's a bunch of cool stuff in this write-up that I forgot about. Original Draft Mal had a much better plan for keeping his identity under wraps. I made this paranoid asshole and his labyrinthine problem solving approach way too complicated for my ADHD to keep track of.

• Options
    I am so full of bbq from the work superbowl party that I think I may die

gonna take a nap before game time, if I'm not up and moving at the appropriate time then send me a bunch of forum messages. I'll set the email alert message those will cause so that it's super loud

• Options
    I sorta want to see Angus become the king of something

nobody tell Zephy that idea

she'll make him the King of Adventuring

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    You know, Firbolgs have Disguise Self as a racial ability. One of these days I think Angus is going to learn a lesson from Mal’s playbook, turn into someone else, and vanish into the crowd to get away from us.

• Options
    You know, Firbolgs have Disguise Self as a racial ability. One of these days I think Angus is going to learn a lesson from Mal’s playbook, turn into someone else, and vanish into the crowd to get away from us.

Don't.
    Worry.
    About it.

• Options
    Zephy got good eyes

don't you sweat it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    enjoy your sportsfan riots, Doug!

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    since Zephy's natural form is hairless I've decided that whenever she takes a form that has hair or feathers, she just sheds like crazy

that turtle dove thing? angus was covered with moltings by the time it was over

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    hello D&D friends

if a game happens today, I will be thar

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Also ready for dungeonings and dragonings. Or not, if circumstances don't align for everyone. No worries.

• Options
    Let's kill some fucking brain suckers! Or maybe not, I dunno. I'm flexible.

• Options
    hey, casual reminder that our games get me through the bad weeks

it's always something I look forward to

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    hey, casual reminder that our games get me through the bad weeks

it's always something I look forward to

I hear you. There have definitely been times when getting to play with you nerds was on a very short list of things keeping my momentum going.

• Options
    Aw I'm glad you guys love my stupid little game! Inspiration for everyone!