As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Larry Nassar, USA Gymnastics, and Michigan State : Sports Abuse Scandals

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    On the NCAA front, this is the kind of thing I worry about:

(Lindsey Lemke is a Nassar survivor, an MSU student, former MSU gymnastics captain, and MSU undergraduate assistant)

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    I really can't comprehend how Simon still has her job. I've never seen a more obviously doomed leader that didn't get it. How do you sit there and watch every newspaper, state senators, state AG, and your own student government ask for your resignation and think "Nah, I'll be fine". The board's statement of support in her probably doomed most of them as well. I'm hoping the Friday protest does the trick, but if it doesn't they need to keep going until Simon is gone at the very least.

The attitude of Simon and the board of trustees are just great examples of the disgusting arrogance that exists in these kinds of people. We are the executives. We bring in all the money. We do not have to listen to you little people, we aren't going anywhere. They just cannot comprehend that they might be held accountable for anything. I can't wait to see them proven wrong.

Because they believe that this will blow over. One thing to keep an eye out for is the upcoming hearing in the civil cases, where the plaintiffs will be requesting discovery against MSU. One target - the full version of the Title IX report against Nassar, which was never released.

Alternatively, they believe that they're already screwed enough that there's no point in cutting their losses. Taking accountability will just guarantee that they're heavily punished, while if they deny everything, there's still a small chance that they'll get off lightly.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I've always heard it as 'Carthago delenda est", "Carthage must be destroyed".

It absolutely applies in this case. USAG should be completely dismantled. The entire senior leadership of MSU should be dismissed and USOC, despite their currently strong stance against USAG, should not go unpunished either. I am loathe to give USOC the kiss of death only because I think their negligence is far less palpable than USAG or MSU. That said if it comes out that USOC had credible reports going back even remotely as far as USAG and MSU, than fuck 'em.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Watch Denhollander's impact statement, by the way.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nEvHeEUnVE

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

It absolutely applies in this case. USAG should be completely dismantled. The entire senior leadership of MSU should be dismissed and USOC, despite their currently strong stance against USAG, should not go unpunished either. I am loathe to give USOC the kiss of death only because I think their negligence is far less palpable than USAG or MSU. That said if it comes out that USOC had credible reports going back even remotely as far as USAG and MSU, than fuck 'em.

Yes, that's the phrase I was referencing. "Sparty" is a colloquial nickname for MSU.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Yes, that's the phrase I was referencing. "Sparty" is a colloquial nickname for MSU.

Man, I feel real dense now. I knew Sparty was their colloquial nick name, I just didn't put 2+2 together.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This wasn't the thrust of the article but look at this shit:
    Gov. Rick Snyder earlier Wednesday told The Detroit News he does not have the authority to remove Simon from office, citing a review by his legal counsel. But constitutional law expert Richard McLellan believes Snyder does have the power to force out any public official and provided an analysis to top Snyder adviser Rich Baird.
    Why would Snyder go through this effort to protect a shitty institution?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Gov. Rick Snyder earlier Wednesday told The Detroit News he does not have the authority to remove Simon from office, citing a review by his legal counsel. But constitutional law expert Richard McLellan believes Snyder does have the power to force out any public official and provided an analysis to top Snyder adviser Rich Baird.

Well, his manager of appointments is Brian Breslin.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Henroid wrote: »

Let's be honest, the only one Snyder's protecting is himself. He's washing his hands of the situation so it can unfold without him and he can continue to skate by for his last year like he has for most of his previous ones.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Dianne Byrum (up in 2024) has become the second trustee to call for Simon's removal.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU0jRwQHEk8

The judge's remarks at the end are also worth watching.

• Options
    Free Press reporter:

I knew our governor was a damn coward, but man.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Debbie Stabenow (MSU alum, undergrad and MSW) and Gary Peters (MSU alum, for one of his Master's degrees), Michigan's two Senators, both called for Simon to step down.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nEvHeEUnVE

If you prefer to read, CNN has posted the transcript:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/us/rachael-denhollander-full-statement/index.html

• Options
    The faculty athletic representative, Sue Carter, at Michigan State has resigned that position because of the scandal. She remains a professor of journalism at the university. From what I've read looking around really quickly, one of the more popular and famous professors at the school.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I can think of approximately a billion situations in which republicans would love precedent to remove public school deans. What a fucking coward.

• Options
    Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) is calling for Senate hearings on how this was allowed to happen, including the power to subpoena internal communications between Nassar and USAG officials.

• Options
    Debbie Van Horn, another USAG athletic trainer who Mattie Larson (national team member, the one who hated the Karolyi Ranch so much she faked a serious head injury) indicted for her role in this mess, is no longer with USAG as of Monday.

• Options
    The State News (MSU student paper) has a source saying Simon will resign by Friday.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The State News (MSU student paper) has a source saying Simon will resign by Friday.

I’m surprised it didn’t happen by about the 15 minute mark of Denhollander’s statement. She forgave Nassar but absolutely wrecked MSU.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Detroit Free Press now confirming those reports with multiple sources of their own.

• Options
    Something tells me that the civil suit hearing didn't go their way today, in addition to the end of the sentencing.

• Options
    "As a student athlete at Michigan State University, it has been a dream of mine to attend this great institution and wear the green and white with pride and honor," Beedle wrote. "Along with being a student athlete, I have been provided a platform that requires leadership and integrity. With the events that have occurred recently regarding Nassar and other assault victims, there is no apology that will erase the pain these young girls and children have experienced. As a MALE football player, situations such as this are rare and if it was to arise in football, I feel that action would've been taken immediately. No matter the sport, gender, ethnicity or race, we are all human and deserve to be protected and treated equally. To the women involved, you are stronger than many people could even dream of and I commend you for working towards the justice you deserve. It is my hope that MSU will continue to work at putting forth leaders who share the same principles that I do and who are dedicated to the safety of all. When it's all said and done, it's about the people that make up this beautiful University and I can only hope that the correct actions will be taken to keep the Student body and our Spartan family in tact.

• Options
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Man, fuck Snyder! Child poisoning, cowardly piece of contemptible shit!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I can't believe she's trying to play it off like this was a planned thing. Just days after she and one of her board members said she's not resigning. She should never have been allowed to resign, she should have been publicly shit canned as soon as the news broke that she knew about the Title IX and criminal investigations in 2014.

• Options
    I can't believe she's trying to play it off like this was a planned thing. Just days after she and one of her board members said she's not resigning. She should never have been allowed to resign, she should have been publicly shit canned as soon as the news broke that she knew about the Title IX and criminal investigations in 2014.

If she's fired for cause, that looks real bad in all the lawsuits. MSU is still trying to limit their liability.

• Options
    Rumors about the interim president include our last three governors before the current asshole. That's Blanchard, Engler, and Granholm.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I hope she realizes that her legacy, in the minds of almost everyone who knows her name, is Larry Nassar and absolutely nothing else.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I hope she realizes that her legacy, in the minds of almost everyone who knows her name, is Larry Nassar and absolutely nothing else.

From how she's acted I doubt she cares. :(

• Options
    Trustee Foster says the interim president needs to come from outside MSU (true!). They are considering one of Grand Valley State's former presidents.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Paul Ryan's office is telling Dan Murphy of ESPN (who has been in the courtroom the last two weeks and done good work, as have a number of others) that there will be a vote on Feinstein's law making organizations like USAG mandatory reporters.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    That resignation letter was disgustingly self serving. Hopefully the charges spread to everybody who didnt act on reports and these resignations dont get people off the hook.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

If she's fired for cause, that looks real bad in all the lawsuits. MSU is still trying to limit their liability.

Yes, which also explains her mealy-mouthed statement about "trusting an evil person". Michigan State and perhaps her personally face a deluge of lawsuits.

• Options
    As I go to bed, I am going to once again strongly recommend you watch or read Denhollander's statement. Watching is better, but it's 40 minutes of your time. It's courageous, heart breaking, full of anger and fury but also grace, a tremendous piece of writing and rhetoric, and I've also seen it described as the best piece of theology professors in the subject have read in a while. She meditates on the nature of goodness for a bit... and is unsurprisingly for someone from West Michigan deeply Christian. And if you don't go in for that stuff, go for her section on MSU, which is the most damning thing anyone has written about that institution thus far. Far more than Pierce's piece that was linked earlier.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

Yes, which also explains her mealy-mouthed statement about "trusting an evil person". Michigan State and perhaps her personally face a deluge of lawsuits.

Honestly wouldn't firing her for cause limit MSUs liability? You can't really blame MSU if the person responsible for overseeing the rules willfully neglected to enforce them.

What I am saying is; throw her under the bus and see if she bounces.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »

Honestly wouldn't firing her for cause limit MSUs liability? You can't really blame MSU if the person responsible for overseeing the rules willfully neglected to enforce them.

What I am saying is; throw her under the bus and see if she bounces.

Firing her for cause would be admitting that they fucked up handling things, which boosts the plaintiffs' case.