As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Name all your towns with warrior cat names.

Troutleap is only two days' ride from Dustyclaw, which is about a week north of Lilypad if you have a decent wagon.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    We journey now to the capital city of Bramblepelt, to return the Apocalypse Ruby to its rightful place at the top of the King's Tower.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Are there any *good* city name generators out there? I'm looking for something that generates fantasy town names slightly better than "Scrabster" and "Arkmunster".
    Just take [locational feature] and [name] and toss them together.

Like "ford" and "Richard" becomes Richford.

Unless you want to use another language. In which case just use the same method with your English-language dictionary.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Here's another thingy that might help you with some ideas, although I think most here have already mentioned the ideas you'll find wihtin: University of Nottingham Place Name Etymology Site

You click on town/city names, it tells what the name means or was derived from.

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I took two of my party on a little self contained adventure in DH because I was sad I couldn’t play with the full group wednesday.

They went to a BDSM club that was a little too hardcore. It involved Dark Eldar.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »
    Here's another thingy that might help you with some ideas, although I think most here have already mentioned the ideas you'll find wihtin: University of Nottingham Place Name Etymology Site

You click on town/cite names, it tells what the name means or was derived from.

Well my weekend just got booked.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      SolarSolar Registered User regular
      Find a city in the real world, steal names from there

Attercliffe, Neepsend, Fulwood, Meersbrook, Woodhouse etc etc etc

• Options
      KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
      edited January 2018
      One of my players is being tempted by a Slaaneshi daemon so in his dreams the daemon has been trying to trick him into possession. I decided to try going full lust and seduction and wanted to try something I thought was a little risqué so I asked all my players if they would be cool with it. They said they were. Last night was a surprise test run for how they reacted to a situation like that. I used a picture of the club scene from Blade and had lots of descriptions. They reacted pretty well.

NSFW
      The club was private for the cultists and fighters who fought in basically fetish fights (whips and leather or no pants) with Dark Eldar wracks to be chosen as prime specimens for Commoragh. Take the stereotypical bdsm freak from Blade or Phantasmagoria 2 or whatever and you found it. When the doorman asked my techpriest for credentials, he whipped it out. On his own volition. That got him in after a good bonus on his charm check.

Note: I don’t see BDSM people as evil. If it’s consensual then its their business for real people who engage in it. This just used stereotypes since these were actually pleasure cultists and I wanted to create an overly depraved culty atmosphere.

I put on Dragula and the blade club music. I love using music to set scenes. I once put on Raining Blood by Slayer when a khornate cult was sacrificing a navigator to summon fleshhounds and it worked super well.

Kadoken on
    • Options
      MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
      erqih6bvccu9.png

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
      Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    • Options
      JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
      MagicPrime wrote: »
      erqih6bvccu9.png

Genesys Ghostbusters? :biggrin: :+1:

• Options
      MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
      Jacobkosh wrote: »
      MagicPrime wrote: »
      erqih6bvccu9.png

Genesys Ghostbusters? :biggrin: :+1:

Indeed. It's my current pet project as time allows. With winter weather and the kids and work in relative shambles its slow going. But I hope to find more focused work time soon.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
      Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    • Options
      WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
      Finally got around to watching Zootopia tonight and all I could think was 1) this is a good movie and 2) this setting is juuuuuuust about enough for a PbtA game. Playbooks as different species, differing basic moves for Prey and Predator playbooks, etc.

So basically now it's all I can think about. I just...wanted to see more of the city, man.

• Options
      I often have doubts about if my adventures make sense or not. I’ve got a whole continuity thing going on and I homebrew the adventures to fit into the next step or affect what’s going on in the overall story and universe. Would one of you read this and tell me if it sounds alright?
      At the halfway point of an adventure, a cult is found to have been recruited by a grand conspiracy to assassinate the planetary governor. Their inquisitor informed the governor immediately because a power vacuum and an ensuing struggle is not what the planet needs right now. The Inquisitor’s other cells and the players’ acolytes then infiltrate a noble house’s spire. The house is hosting an event that the planetary governor is attending. This event would be the obvious time to assassinate the governor. A rival noble house’s name was mentioned as being involved in the assassination. The governor and noble house’s matriarch feel this is a way to capture rival house in the act and remove an obstacle to their supremacy. They’re also like nobles so they deal with this shit all the time.

The spire is obviously well protected and manned by an armed retinue of tens of thousands. Servitor controlled emplacements monitor the skies and the ground at all times. A quick call via vox-line or astropath to the local guardsmen will get reinforcements and an air response within minutes. The nobles feel like this is such an easy trap to pull off and decide to bait the attackers by appearing at the event, a great ball. What could go wrong?

The whole attack is a false flag. The villain’s MO is to go around inciting wars, rebellions, strife, etc that the conspiracy he’s apart of can capitalize on. It doesn’t matter what happens to the governor, because the attack’s purpose is to spark a civil war between two great hive cities. The rival house also has nothing to do with it but everything will be done to make it seem like they did.

The players job in this situation is to disguise themselves as guards and servants and, while undercover, minimize the amount of damage the conspiracy can do. This means catching saboteurs, finding their intended targets, and defending the level of the spire they find themselves on. Their reward for doing well is earning the respect (and some influence) of the planetary governor and a great house and, in a follow-up adventure, the ability to convince them that the rival house had nothing to do with the attack. If they mess up really bad, all the heresy and cults bubbling under the surface of the hive start enacting their plans with the distraction of a civil war.

I think my main worry is that it is kind a weird contrast to be rooting around in tunnels and purging a dank underground cult hideout to suddenly be cooking or patrolling in a noble spire. An inquisitor did come up with the plan but would two of the most poweful nobles on the planet willingly act as bait and not just stay home?

• Options
      edited January 2018
      Eh fuck it. I ran it and it was great.

So I overshare 40k lore and stuff in-game all the time. For this session, and for both my game groups, I basically decided if their character doesn’t know it, they don’t know it. No one picked up Knowledges. Also the trades were useful for the first time in ever. They can’t cook undercover for shit.

Edit: my favorite start to a session, “So where are you from?” a security officer casually asked. They immediately were like “fuck”. This guy didn’t even have deceive. We had an hour just spending experience beforehand too.

Kadoken on
    • Options
      italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
      edited January 2018
      So my little brother called me up wanting to brain storm a new setting for his next campaign. I bought us both a copy of Genesys, and I think I've convinced him to run that (he was originally thinking of D&D 5E). The influences we were working with to create this campaign world are Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy 7, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and honestly if you're familiar with those I don't think you need to look too deeply to find their intersections in our concept.

In this campaign (name yet undecided), the world is covered in a perpetual mist that corrupts life creating threatening abominations. The only thing that repels the mist are materia (we'll change the name) infused with droma: the coalesced life force of the world in liquid form. This life force collects deep in the earth and is too dangerous for humans to handle in its raw form. Instead primordial sanctuaries form over these wells fostering pure natural life that can be harvested to collect droma. These sanctuaries resent this and are protected by powerful guardians who are revered by druidic sects. Materia come from the petrified remains of those corrupted by the mist and are in turn guarded by other mist abominations. Materia and droma together form a kind of yin-yang relationship, and in large quantities allow communities to survive. Adventurers are thereby needed to collect both. Smaller materia are also useful as personal protection from the mist and also as implements to cast magic spells or other supernatural effects.

In addition to the themes of isolation, exploration, and survival, there's also a greater world conflict as large nations leverage their superior materia to gain dominion of whats left of the world population. Smaller communities caught in this struggle of nations are often swept up or else displaced or destroyed. Eventually the campaign will run into a central conflict where one nation in particular has created a sort of superweapon by manufacturing unnatural materia that consumes droma at an unsustainable rate.

We're currently brainstorming a few character classes and deciding how magic is going to work. I'm particularly fond of basing these classes on how I want them to interact with these themes rather than on the traditional fighter/rogue/mage archetypes. If anyone has some ideas on these that they'd like to share, I would appreciate the feedback. Especially if you've got some cool names for any of the concepts/classes.
      • Artificer? - This class uses the 'dull' materia, that which hasn't been infused with droma, fashioning it into physical implements that have magical affinities. Mechanically this guy would be able to create/customize their equipment by adding magical proprieties to it and be able to consistently use these powers.
      • Strider? - This class would focus on the exploration aspect, and be particularly skilled at avoiding or mitigating the dangers of the mists and the abominations. Mechanically they focus on a lot of non-combat stuff but also combat support via traps, ambushes, and exploiting the weaknesses of the abominations.
      • Empath? - This class (maybe an archetype?) would focus on the interaction aspect of the game and also on finding and manipulating the raw life force of the world and the natural guardians of the sanctuaries. Mechanically there would be some ways to influence enemies or buff allies.
      • Channeler? - This class uses the 'bright' materia, or rather the droma within it, manipulating it to create magical effects. Mechanically this guy would be more flexible than the Artificer but be limited by the amount of droma that they carry.

italianranma on
      飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    • Options
      edited January 2018
      To get around the problem of the target just going home, I decided that if they found all the sabotage and stopped it, then the lady who is hosting the target’s ball would just vox the target to stay home. The lady hosting the ball would still throw the ball to catch the noble family and his goons in the (false flag) attack. She’s an opportunistic type and doesn’t care about possible collateral damage to the other nobles attending. The false-flagged family rules one of the three major hives. Getting rid of them means planetary supremacy for her house and allies. She is stacking her odds, calling in favors for the local guardsmen regiments and a certain noble’s retainers to help. She will attend the party as bait, but then she will hide in a plasteel panic room when the shooting starts.

Dark Eldar are helping these heretics so they can snatch up slaves and steal shit to take back to Commoragh so they’ll be a wildcard element for the players. The players will have the chance to stop one from manually hacking and disabling the defence systems of the spire.

Gameplay wise, the players succeeding on their infiltration and investigation has tangible rewards for the story and a big climax battle they’re partaking in.

The party found everything, but they only suspect one of the two head saboteurs of the spire level they’re on. They played their undercover roles well, even if their actual rolls weren’t great half the time. Hopefully they get the other guy becauss he’s key to distracting the guards. Not catching him leaves them only with half the amount of allies in the climax battle.

I had a little bit of trouble figuring out a decent end reward that wasn’t just material. I decided that in the aftermath of the battle, if the assassination failed, then five possible survivors could be interrogated after. They will lead them to the next part of the campaign. On a roll of 1d100, or if their characters personally decided to try to take someone for interrogation in the battle, they will either have the arch-heretic, the leader of the cult they fought in the last module, a kabalite, a minor cultist, or a silent berserker type which is actually a bonus boss. They have a twenty percent chance of each.

Then the next adventure, if they succeeded, will be them trying to clear the false flagged nobleman’s name by investigating the grand conspiracy the arch-heretic belongs to so a giant civil war does not erupt on the planet and drag every other heresy out into the light of day to choke the planet to death. My other player group, who are one of the inquisitor’s more powerful killteams, are stuck in the underhive right now and probably don’t want to deal with that shit after their adventure and revelations. Their adventure should be ending about a day after this group’s is done.

Speaking of, my commission’s first WIP came in:
      vvry5rd0ztg4.jpeg

Kadoken on
    • Options
      NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
      edited January 2018
      Would there be interest in a PBP using the Genesys system for Cthulhu gaming? I'm thinking of using the Cthulhu City book from Pelgrane press for a horror/mystery game with an East Berlin Dark City vibe. A little more high powered than CoC, around the power level of like the Arkham Horror Card game.
      Previous knowledge of Lovecraftian stuff wouldn't be required but having the Genesys rules would be.

Neaden on
    • Options
      WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
      I think this is the most appropriate place to ask this: anyone order from stuido2publishing before? I kind of want a hard copy of pugmire rather than a PDF and they seem to be the only option.

• Options
      italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
      I’ve definitely seen hard copies of Pugmire at Gencon and PAX. OP doesn’t sell them directly?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    • Options
      SolarSolar Registered User regular
      OP doesn't sell any shit directly, it's all through PoD.

Why? Because apparently they make no money otherwise.

• Options
      DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
      Played Starfinder Society for the first time last night. My slightly-dim-but-good-natured Vesk Armor Storm Soldier, Cpl. Zog "Zoggy" Grav, learned several good lessons, like, "you can charge at one person with a gun, but you can't charge at TWO people with guns without getting shot."

Anyway, I enjoyed it enough despite the FLGS noise that I'll try it again in a few weeks. Interesting seeing how society play works.

• Options
      Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
      Hey, for anyone who doesn't frequent SE++ I'm hosting a drop in/drop out game of The Veil that's got a thread open.

• Options
      FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
      Hey, for anyone who doesn't frequent SE++ I'm hosting a drop in/drop out game of The Veil that's got a thread open.

Wait, I feel like you or somebody else has mentioned floating corporate cities before! It's still a cool idea, I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

On an unrelated note, I just ordered the new supplement from Runehammer for Index Card RPG called Worlds. It fleshes out the worlds of Alfheim (fantasy), Warp Shell (sci fi) and Ghost Mountain (paranormal western) while providing more character development tools, since just the loot may not have been enough meat to chew on for campaign play.
      http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/230663/ICRPG-WORLDS

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    • Options
      I've posted about it a few times. Part of the purpose of this game is to give me a more engaging way to flesh out and develop the setting and it's dumb, dumb concept.

• Options
      I've posted about it a few times. Part of the purpose of this game is to give me a more engaging way to flesh out and develop the setting and it's dumb, dumb concept.

Hey, I'm a fan of the concept - I just don't want to overcommit myself right now. I'll definitely watch the recaps though.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    • Options
      SleepSleep Registered User regular

It actually isn't a terrible concept as far as dystopic cyber punk futures go.

• Options
      Fuselage wrote: »

Hey, I'm a fan of the concept - I just don't want to overcommit myself right now. I'll definitely watch the recaps though.

Feel free to ring in/chat stuff if you're interested.

• Options
      RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
      Hell, I dunno about you AB, but if bystanders want to answer some of those questions in the OP, that'd be cool to me

(I still gotta work on those answers myself)

Sterica wrote: »
      I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
      Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    • Options
      h8p9hmrcp1kd.jpg

I love RPGs. In an unrelated note, do any of you have anything to add to this?
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1U5217Sad8bWeab4aTyqYltOscefVO2PT54juB9plhv8/edit?usp=sharing

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    • Options
      Maybe, just maybe, I might have put too much on my uni group by having them fight three dark eldar while the group was separated (for good reasons, not “Let’s split up, gang!”). The delds teleported in and suprised the acolyte on location and slaughtered the five guards helping. Can’t kill what you can’t touch, and even kabalites have a 68% chance to dodge stuff.

They took down three fleshhounds but that was with four stormtroopers witth hotshots and an inquisitor, and three of the ten (two players of the five and a stormtrooper) died (well *burned*) there.

Doesn’t help that I basically gave them boltguns and ammo for free as a reward and only one bought bolter training.

I did foreshadow the surprise attack by having one of the dark eldar quickly teleport in and out as a test when the room was mostly empty. The response of one my players was to shoot the floor and get a bunch of guards pissed at him. He started trying to explain that the air was cold and it smelled of ozone (from the warp signature of the teleportation but he didn’t know that until the group’s psyker rolled a 1. I think deldar can use warp teleportation, craftworld warp spiders do). They didn’t buy it. Then they left the weakest fighter in the room alone with the guards.

They also didn’t question a bunch of guards going down to lower floors of the noble spire when I put a big line of guards in front of them. Then when they started postulating about theories and I was getting ready for the next part, I started singing “Master of Puppets” to myself to try to give them a clue what was happening. One of the guards was being puppeted by a powerful sorceror to distract the rest to get them down the spire and away from he coming attack.

I was actually kind of proud of them for thinking like inquisitors and trying to connect a missing person and an arcane artifact to the noble lady trying to make sure the rival house was implicated in the attack. She’s not and she inadvertantly passed the thing on for disposal to a saboteur she thinks is trustworthy but I liked their spirit.

That’s half the forces helping them in the climax gone because even when I made it obvious a secret saboteur was holding something he shouldn’t have been, they never actually checked what it was when he blatantly tripped and dropped the thin.

The planetary governor was voxed to stay home after finding all three items being used to sabotage the spire, and another noble was asked to supply guards for the defense of the spire, so they only went from 20 to 15 but they could have had 30 guards helping them against the waves of heretics.

Also two of them got thrown off the spire. They had clip harnesses and were cleaning the side of the hangar for fucking up the head butler’s work so they were fine. One failed hard and plunged down and ended up hanging miles in the air for a lot of the session. Kind of disappointed I forgot to make him take a fear test but his player wasn’t there so it wouldn’t be as satisfying.

I’ve decided on calling my main group the expendable henchmen while my uni group is the cannon fodder until they give me better names.

• Options
      WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
      edited January 2018
      Working on a Dungeon World hack (sorta) for Pokemon. I have a tendency to overcomplicate things, so I wanted to prove to myself that I could fit everything needed for a single Pokemon on a single page. The (obviously quick and dirty) result:
      b77gyej1fycd.png

WACriminal on
    • Options
      I want updates on where that goes!

And pictures!

OF SPIDER-MAN!

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
      Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    • Options
      Also, @Marshmallow would probably interested in that project as well

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    • Options
      MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
      You know it.

@WACriminal What are you planning on having Nature do? I like how it's prominent on the sheet because tabletop Pokemon is amazing at giving its critters big, entertaining personalities based on things like their Nature, Characteristic, what Moves they know, and so on.

I find there's a big difference in the fiction between training, for instance, a fun-loving rascal Charmander, an edgy ninja-raptor Charmander, or a no-nonsense tactician Charmander and it's very good times.

• Options
      edited January 2018
      You know it.

@WACriminal What are you planning on having Nature do? I like how it's prominent on the sheet because tabletop Pokemon is amazing at giving its critters big, entertaining personalities based on things like their Nature, Characteristic, what Moves they know, and so on.

I find there's a big difference in the fiction between training, for instance, a fun-loving rascal Charmander, an edgy ninja-raptor Charmander, or a no-nonsense tactician Charmander and it's very good times.

I'm building on a four-stat system (Perseverance, Knowledge, Muscles, Negotiation, because PKMN was too tempting). There are 16 natures, each nature a unique combination of a Bonding stat and a Battling stat. I'll probably add in more natures for RP reasons, but they'll be cosmetic reskins of the first 16.

For instance, the Gentle nature uses Knowledge as its Bonding stat, and Negotiation as its Battling stat. When attempting to increase your bond with a Pokemon who has the Gentle nature, you roll (+Knowledge, +your existing bond with the Pokemon, -the Pokemon's Will). 7-9: +1 Bond. 10+: +2 Bond. Bond may never exceed Will.

When you release a Pokemon for combat, you have to determine whether it will listen to your commands. That's where the Battling stat comes in. For a Gentle-natured Pokemon, you roll (+Negotiation, +your existing bond with the Pokemon, -the Pokemon's Will). 7-9: They listen to your commands for 1 round. 10+: They listen for the remainder of the combat scene.

So yeah. If you're running a character with the Ace Trainer playbook, which is centered primarily on Perseverance, you probably won't be interested in acquiring Gentle-natured Pokemon. Pokemon with the Defiant nature, however, would be right up your alley since Perseverance serves as both their Bonding and their Battling stat. If you do happen to catch a Gentle one, though, well...that just makes for more interesting roleplay, right?

EDIT: Also there will be other ways of boosting your rolls to bond with Pokemon, like earning badges from gyms and taking moves that let you specialize in specific types of Pokemon. That way it's still possible to bond with high-level wild Pokemon/recently acquired trades, just more difficult. I really wanted to focus on the theme that Pokemon are stronger when you take time to bond with them and train them from the start, rather than just buying super-powerful ones that you don't care about.

WACriminal on
    • Options
      edited January 2018
      And here I went with Physique, Knowledge, Mobility, Network.

Great minds think alike.

Marshmallow on
    • Options
      I remember considering Network, but rejecting it, and now I can't remember why because it does seem absolutely better in every way.

• Options
      edited January 2018
      Positive response inspired me to do some more brainstorming and layout work today.

Page 1 of the Ace Trainer playbook:
      932ko0g2z66q.png

A finished Rattata playbook:
      3ahl0l45qds1.png

Two more Pokemon playbooks for comparison:
      rgmky1ca364a.png
      14f5b2ka0i4u.png

Does this look like the kind of thing anybody would play?

EDIT: Also, I'm thinking about switching "I Know It's My Destiny" to the free starting move, and making "I Choose You!" an advancement option, since it seems like the lofty goal is something your character should have from the beginning. Or maybe I'll make them both starting moves? Not sure.

WACriminal on
    • Options
      Speaking of brainstorming...after a session zero I accidentally stayed up all night and did this. It's just to convert the ICRPG system to do battletech stuff, but it's not nearly as tactical or complicated as Alpha Strike even. Also it uses dice instead of fixed numbers for damage, so it's only marginally faithful to the source material.

Also the way it's written now, the characters piloting and the mechs themselves have very little to do with each other, other than using the pilot's intelligence and accuracy. The first ICRPG-Mech Mashup somebody else did actually made rules so they could all exist in the same encounter.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PaOZCfoQa4AKUlIFPamImEUPOi2dzoke0LGEL_mp52U/edit?usp=sharing

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    • Options
      edited January 2018
      WACriminal wrote: »
      Does this look like the kind of thing anybody would play?

I'd play it, but I'd play just about anything with Pokemon in it. I did also enjoy Dungeon World the one time I got to play it, though, so an additional mark of interest there.

Juuuust to further compare notes, I notice you've got Catch 'Em, Battle 'Em, Train 'Em, Find 'Em Moves. Don't suppose there are, say, others along the lines of "Befriendin' 'Em" and/or "Identifyin' 'Em?"

Those happened to be the two additional basic Trainer actions I had available back when I was wrastling with potential skill lists. Figuring out What Kind of Pokemon Are You and making good friends what to stick together with seemed fitting.

Marshmallow on