As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My uncle was a professional field agronomist (read: entomologist for farmers) who gave me a couple of rad folding magnifying glasses when I was a kid to help with my bug collecting. I now have one in my desk drawer at work because it turns out that being able to tell bedbugs from very small German cockroaches has a real impact on my work at the library, because both of them love to live in the spines of hardback books, but only one of them requires us to bake furniture in a giant oven! It looks like this, and is super suave:

KE-15X.jpg

Anyway, I mostly posted this story to destroy the last excuse @Hobnail had for not telling his awful ant story. I'm super psyched about my next infested book, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I see

Well a couple summers back I endeavoured to make a garden worth a damn and really got rooting around, dirt and sweat and grime all over, so I went inside to refresh myself with water and while doing so I encountered a pointed itching in my nethers. These things happen and I adjusted myself accordingly but the itching did not diminish, indeed quite the opposite, to the point I felt compelled to go into the bathroom and put eyes on the problem, the problem revealing itself to be a wee intrepid black ant that had crawled up my leg and somehow become embroiled within my foreskin and was frantically battling to avoid being drawn into my urethra, biting and/or deploying formic acid in this effort

It is to my lasting shame that in the gasping horror of the moment I destroyed the ant rather than return it to the garden

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    hell yeah another member of the bitten by an ant on their genitals club

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I COULD warn BugBoy about what the new posts in this thread are about.

But I won't.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    As if anything happens in this thread that I don’t know about

Speaking of, happy belated five year anniversary, bug thread folks!

Let’s keep it going for another 8 so I can make a gag about cicadas

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Should be able to make that work, we're only a third of the way through.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    This was a fun watch. https://i.imgur.com/7Edw0pS.gif

e: Man I wish I could watch it until the end.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    And like the stirring of larvae, the bug thread once again emerges as winter yields to spring

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    f4r7fqq44uyu.jpg

This is a poisonous Milkweed Locust, which I found sitting on a poisonous Impala Lily. His wings are up because he's mad that I picked him up. But jokes on him because that just made me hold him longer to get this photo. Dumb locust.

• Options
    Pretty Locust Boy

I wanna meet him

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    What's it like living in The Shimmer?

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    f4r7fqq44uyu.jpg

This is a poisonous Milkweed Locust, which I found sitting on a poisonous Impala Lily. His wings are up because he's mad that I picked him up. But jokes on him because that just made me hold him longer to get this photo. Dumb locust.

I notice there's a lot of the word "poisonous" in you post.
    You do you, of course, but have you considered moving to a place slightly less toxic?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    f4r7fqq44uyu.jpg

I notice there's a lot of the word "poisonous" in you post.
    You do you, of course, but have you considered moving to a place slightly less toxic?

Don't worry, that's just a misnomer.

It's actually highly toxic!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    f4r7fqq44uyu.jpg

I have always respected those of you who can touch things like this with your bare hands. It proves my phobias are just that, and not real. I still can't do it though.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Cross-posted from the photography thread:
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Opened my outdoor utility closet to see what kind of stuff I had to pack up out there, and encountered this lovely lady (spoiled for large close-up photos of a spider)
    Just making sure you read the bit about the spider.
    zv0tb0yje9pm.png
    uctk1xojzlcw.png

Pretty! Even better, that's one less moving chore, because everything in that closet belongs to the spider now.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So many moths... Like a stupid brown cloud

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I don't mind most spiders, but I will go out of my way to murder every widow I see.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I don't mind most spiders, but I will go out of my way to murder every widow I see.

My dad grabbed his garbage can to haul to the curb one monday am and felt something sharp on his finger on the underside of the garbage handle. Thought it was a fiberlgass splinter. It was not, and he lost the finger.

Guess who wears gloves when he hauls out the trash now?

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I will go out of my way to murder every widow I see.

Saving this quote out of context to use for character-assassination should you ever seek political office.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    War widows especially

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    War widows especially

Well, yeah, when you see a black widow spider operating an M2 Browning in a defensible position, you kind of have to go out of your way.

• Options
    There were literally more that 50 moths just hanging out in my house. More in the sunroom and garage. It's AWFUL.A

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    It's apparently moth season around here too, good thing it's not too hot yet and I can keep the windows closed in the evening. Also tick and mosquito season it feels like.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    People don't like moths!?

They're beautiful night time butterflies!

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Some moths are.
    I was assuming that the moth season in question are miller moths.
    Which are horribly obnoxious flying dust balls that get everywhere.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

My dad grabbed his garbage can to haul to the curb one monday am and felt something sharp on his finger on the underside of the garbage handle. Thought it was a fiberlgass splinter. It was not, and he lost the finger.

That is an unusually severe reaction to a bite. Did he not get it checked out when the wound flared up? Usually that kind of necrosis takes weeks to develop.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

That is an unusually severe reaction to a bite. Did he not get it checked out when the wound flared up? Usually that kind of necrosis takes weeks to develop.

Take the biggest idiot you know and double his stupidity and replace it with the person overcompensating for their stupidity by "being tough". That's my dad.

Also it's possible it was a recluse but they are very rare down here, so I always assumed it was a widow.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    big moths are pretty but small ones are annoying and some of them put their babies on your nice clothes and rugs so they can eat holes in them like jerks

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

Some moths are.
    I was assuming that the moth season in question are miller moths.
    Which are horribly obnoxious flying dust balls that get everywhere.

And excrete a foul reddish-brown liquid that stains everything

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    learn something new every day!

• Options
    Friend of mine had a moth fly in his mouth once. He said it felt dry and oily for hours, and he brushed his teeth like 3 times.

I thought it was hilarious.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Is there a bug spotting tracker like eBird? An eBug perhaps?

I ask because I can confidently say that I have spotted 51 species of birds this spring thanks to eBird, but I cannot say how many bugs. I have lucked across a couple of swallowtails, several wasps, and I live in Utah so roughly a million box elder bugs. We are also prone to a particularly lovely large fuzzy snow white moth whose name escapes me at the moment.

• Options
    R-dem wrote: »
    Is there a bug spotting tracker like eBird? An eBug perhaps?

I ask because I can confidently say that I have spotted 51 species of birds this spring thanks to eBird, but I cannot say how many bugs. I have lucked across a couple of swallowtails, several wasps, and I live in Utah so roughly a million box elder bugs. We are also prone to a particularly lovely large fuzzy snow white moth whose name escapes me at the moment.

She goes by Snow Mothra.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Shockingly enough, the BugBoy has never been stung by a wasp-until tonight

Poor baby got her stinger stuck in my skin but tried to fly away anyway. Was kind of cute. Anyway, I detached her and she’s fine, as am I. Kinda smarts, but not as painful as I always thought it would be.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's all fun and games until you get swarmed by 20 of them

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Please note that the sting happened during his attempt to rescue and release a confused wasp that had made its way indoors

• Options
    Please note that the sting happened during his attempt to rescue and release a confused wasp that had made its way indoors

So, self inflicted wasp sting?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Well, Operation Wasp Rescue only began after it landed on his neck, so there's plenty of blame to go around

Butler For Life #1 on