As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hella [Chat]

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    7uIHFOH.jpg
    'Cormorant Fishing' by Kawase Hasui (1954)

Kawase Hasui is an interesting figure in the history of Japanese woodblock print art. He was a prominent figure in the shin hanga ("new woodblock prints") movement, which can be broadly understood as continuing the tradition of the style being a collaborative process between multiple parties (artist, carver, printer, publisher) while incorporating introduced Western artistic technique. It's also notable for being largely funded, as a movement, by Western patrons and buyers. This was due, in part, to ukiyo-e as a broader body of work being considered mass commercial work within Japan (where art schools began placing high emphasis on Western artistic techniques and single-person created works), whereas in the West woodblock printing in the style was viewed as fine art.

Kawase Hasui himself was declared a 'Living National Treasure' in 1956, a year before his passing in 1957.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    goodbye christmas avatar

hello standard SUVs 'n Roses

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    "Sometimes we need to apply force in more places than the ring, my friend"

Theodore Goldman, aka Crusher Creed, aka @cptrugged

@Mazzyx @spool32 @Belasco32

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I don't get steamed hams

I am old

The original isn't funny

The mashups aren't funny

Maybe it's supposed to become funny through repetition...?

I mean it's entertaining in a way but it's not funny. It's more like hey let's watch this dude go deeper into the web of lies he's crafted

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Delmain wrote: »
    "Sometimes we need to apply force in more places than the ring, my friend"

Theodore Goldman, aka Crusher Creed, aka

Actually thats what Sam said to Frodo the first time they made love

Neco on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I don't get steamed hams

I am old

The original isn't funny

The mashups aren't funny

That's how memes work, isn't it? A code being repeatedly de- and re-territorialised through variation and repetition, organising milleus into conceptual whole of the meme.

anyway steamed hams is great, especially the Nier Automata one

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The thing is that the original steamed hams skit is funny and also the remixes are funny.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    yes that was excellent as an in-character moment :)

also Ted, on learning that the gang of women was probably an actual Gang of Women, suggesting y'all take all his stuff beforehand and he just sees what happens.

• Options
    subjectivity remains the real Dark Souls

• Options
    steamed hams is like a meme performing itself. It's referential of itself on purpose and eats its own conceptual tail so fast that the meta-truth of it being a meme is more memetic than the actual meme.

• Options
    in other words, it began life already up its own ass and has only gone deeper with time

• Options
    All star but the steamed hams every time he says somebody

• Options
  • Options
    How long until babish makes a literal steamed ham?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I don't get steamed hams

I am old

The original isn't funny

The mashups aren't funny

That's how memes work, isn't it? A code being repeatedly de- and re-territorialised through variation and repetition, organising milleus into conceptual whole of the meme.

So with VH on DS3 I can see the "now the real dark souls begins" as being funny. We transplanted it to Subnautica and it worked and was funny. In part because there is a grain of truth to it. "You think this shit is bad? Just wait".

Steamed Hams is just a simpsons clip of Skinner having to double down on his web of lies and deceit and while entertaining in a cringeworthy kind of "will he get caught now?" kind of way it's not...funny? It's like it exists purely for its own sake without humor or an actual nod to a truth of the subject matter.

And then the mashups are like, cool you figured out how to use a movie editor

Havelock2.0 on
  • Options
    Steamed hams but it’s all star everytime somebody once told me aurora borealis

• Options
    Steamed Hams But It's A Tarkovsky Film

Skinner spends half an hour driving through a forest to get to Krusty Burger

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

A real ham or a Krustyburger in disguise?

• Options
    Steamed hams but every somebody once loss.jpg me superintendent chalmers

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »

A real ham or a Krustyburger in disguise?

Well he'd probably do both right?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    the first steamed hams post was already a meme. It lacks the organic quality of memetic things.

One day we'll find out that steamed hams was mostly russian bots.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I dont think I can link it but there is a gif on reddit of a lady using a suction cupped dildo to pull a dent out of her car hood.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    I dont think I can link it but there is a gif on reddit of a lady using a suction cupped dildo to pull a dent out of her car hood.

in this sentence is "dent" a euphamism for orgasm, and also is "car hood" slang for her snatch

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Everybody needs to just stop making Youtube videos for a little bit

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I don't get steamed hams

I am old

The original isn't funny

The mashups aren't funny

So with VH on DS3 I can see the "now the real dark souls begins" as being funny. We transplanted it to Subnautica and it worked and was funny. In part because there is a grain of truth to it. "You think this shit is bad? Just wait".

Steamed Hams is just a simpsons clip of Skinner having to double down on his web of lies and deceit and while entertaining in a cringeworthy kind of "will he get caught now?" kind of way it's not...funny? It's like it exists purely for its own sake without humor or an actual nod to a truth of the subject matter.

my dude there is no "truth" to steamed hams, or at least not in the kind of Hegelian way you seem to be alluding to; it's a nodal point in an internet culture which fixates on memetic variation and absurdity

the steamed ham is a rhizome which lacks a firm subject-object relation and we're all already dead

simonwolf on
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »

for like 7 seconds. That would be a lot of unmade videos tbh

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

in this sentence is "dent" a euphamism for orgasm, and also is "car hood" slang for her snatch

nope

https://www.reddit.com/r/specializedtools/

top post there

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

for like 7 seconds. That would be a lot of unmade videos tbh

https://youtu.be/5B_Mt146ABo

• Options

Coinage is a Twitch plant, confirmed.

• Options
    I’m going to work now farewell don’t cry for me no wait actually cry for me this is very tragic

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I don't get steamed hams

I am old

The original isn't funny

The mashups aren't funny

I mean it's entertaining in a way but it's not funny. It's more like hey let's watch this dude go deeper into the web of lies he's crafted

Yeah I get why the original Simpsons clip is meant to be funny

It's probably fine when you are watching a whole episode of the simpsons after school and expect to experience some funny bits and some bits that are just mildly amusing, and this is among the latter

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    anyway it's okay if you don't like steamed hams or loss, but there's plenty of people who do and going "ugh but it's not funny!!" probably isn't going to convince anyone to change their mind

let's just grab some frosty chocolate milkshakes and ride out the rest of this chat as a family

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I'll cry for you neco

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Some people claim to dislike streamed hams but also some people claim they enjoy playing LoL so I ask you who can we really trust?

A: it's dogs, dogs are good

• Options
    steamed hams crybaby

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    :whistle: I will remember youuuu, will you remember meeee :whistle:

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    I’m going to work now farewell don’t cry for me no wait actually cry for me this is very tragic

You gotta make that money, though.

• Options
    I don't get steamed hams

I am old

The original isn't funny

The mashups aren't funny

my dude there is no "truth" to steamed hams, or at least not in the kind of Hegelian way you seem to be alluding to; it's a nodal point in an internet culture which fixates on memetic variation and absurdity

the steamed ham is a rhizome which lacks a form subject-object relation and we're all already dead

I understood part of this and I want to ascend to whatever zen state mountain top you are perched upon to sup at your font of research and knowledge.

I type this truthfully and not to gaslight you at all. I understand some meme stuff, but certain reaches of Internet Culture appear to me as blank areas of a map

Or am I simply served by thinking "Everything is permitted, nothing is forbidden" when regarding the Internet and being content with that

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Ar least steamed hams is just funny and absurd

Loss should be preceded by a trigger warning

Like, in another universe, the panel 4 plot could be him rushing to a police station while she identifies her attacker

And the internet would still meme it because it's a deserving target of mockery for its failure of mapping that experience onto a video games webcomic

But, the internet is tone--deaf to the underlyung psychic disturbance of having that popping up everywhere, regardless of the merit of the mockery

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.