As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hella [Chat]

1939495969799»

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    anyway it's okay if you don't like steamed hams or loss, but there's plenty of people who do and going "ugh but it's not funny!!" probably isn't going to convince anyone to change their mind

let's just grab some frosty chocolate milkshakes and ride out the rest of this chat as a family

I adore loss maybe because because loss is elegant in its simplicity

Not sure why this one completely doesn't land

regardless, I have finished the (minimal) work I assigned myself to do today so it is time to sleep

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Every time I feel like I might want to reinstall LoL I just go to /r/leagueoflegends and I am cured. Thank you Reddit

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The best Steamed Hams takes are the ones that go above and beyond to emulate the things they are parodying/emulating.

I'm talking the MGS one, the Hotline Miami one, the Gundam one.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The best Steamed Hams takes are the ones that go above and beyond to emulate the things they are parodying/emulating.

I'm talking the MGS one, the Hotline Miami one, the Gundam one.

Ace attorney is my favorite I think

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I experience steamed hams differently because the original simpsons joke is itself an absurd reskinning of a much older trope that I recognized back then.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I experience steamed hams differently because the original simpsons joke is itself an absurd reskinning of a much older trope that I recognized back then.

??

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I don't get steamed hams

I am old

The original isn't funny

The mashups aren't funny

Maybe it's supposed to become funny through repetition...?

That's how memes work, isn't it? A code being repeatedly de- and re-territorialised through variation and repetition, organising milleus into conceptual whole of the meme.

anyway steamed hams is great, especially the Nier Automata one

So with VH on DS3 I can see the "now the real dark souls begins" as being funny. We transplanted it to Subnautica and it worked and was funny. In part because there is a grain of truth to it. "You think this shit is bad? Just wait".

Steamed Hams is just a simpsons clip of Skinner having to double down on his web of lies and deceit and while entertaining in a cringeworthy kind of "will he get caught now?" kind of way it's not...funny? It's like it exists purely for its own sake without humor or an actual nod to a truth of the subject matter.

my dude there is no "truth" to steamed hams, or at least not in the kind of Hegelian way you seem to be alluding to; it's a nodal point in an internet culture which fixates on memetic variation and absurdity

the steamed ham is a rhizome which lacks a form subject-object relation and we're all already dead

I understood part of this and I want to ascend to whatever zen state mountain top you are perched upon to sup at your font of research and knowledge.

I type this truthfully and not to gaslight you at all. I understand some meme stuff, but certain reaches of Internet Culture appear to me as blank areas of a map

Or am I simply served by thinking "Everything is permitted, nothing is forbidden" when regarding the Internet and being content with that

I mean listen I can apply Deleuze and Guattari and other postmodern theory to internet culture all day long, because I am a broken man who has devoted his life to the humanities

In general I would just say that trying to eke out a deep, ingrained meaning within any individual meme is probably a fool's errand because the way these things spread don't tend to have a kind of arborescent, traceable flow

Memes for some, miniature American flags for others

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    simonwaifu is away tonight and tomorrow is Invasion Day

do I dare drink... one beer

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Well I fucking despise loss so I guess we’re even !!! >:(

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

??

it's a play on the "housewife burns dinner as company arrives and hi-jinx ensue as she tries to solve this embarrassing domestic faux pas" thing. I love Lucy was doing this joke way back in the day. I'm certain Bewitched had a take on it, as did a few other shows. Casting the Superintendent as "the company" and Skinner as the housewife was already a sort of transgressive upending of the joke.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

dare dare!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    RARGH!

*hulk Hogan’s a shirt*

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A lot of memes are more about showing ability and cleverness in communicating an idea than necessarily being funny.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

i dunno, man, sounds pretty risky

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    RARGH!

*hulk Hogan’s a shirt*

Be really racist?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

This is how low brow comedies start.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 2.9

@simonwolf will create the new thread
    @spool32 is backup

This discussion has been closed.