As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kawase Hasui [chat]

simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a differencetoday, a differenceRegistered User regular
edited January 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
BdyQRlu.jpg?1
'Rain at Maekawa in Sagami Province' (1932)

0ax6ybj.jpg?1
'Evening Snowfall at Kiyomizu Temple' (1950)

jBh1u3P.jpg?1
'Spring Night at Inokashira Park' (1931)

f44VM2l.jpg?1
'The Pond at Benten Shrine in Shiba' (1929)

Kawase Hasui is an interesting figure in the history of Japanese woodblock print art. He was a prominent figure in the shin hanga ("new woodblock prints") movement, which can be broadly understood as continuing the tradition of the style being a collaborative process between multiple parties (artist, carver, printer, publisher) while incorporating introduced Western artistic technique. This stood in contrast to the new wave of art being produced called sōsaku hanga ("creative prints"), where the emphasis was placed on one artist taking the lead in every stage of the print's production.

It's also notable for being largely funded, as a movement, by Western patrons and buyers. This was due, in part, to ukiyo-e as a broader body of work being considered mass commercial work within Japan (where art schools began placing high emphasis on Western artistic techniques and single-person created works), whereas in the West woodblock printing in the style was viewed as fine art, prized for what was broadly perceived as its depiction of a romanticised, nostalgic Japan.

Kawase Hasui was declared a 'Living National Treasure' in 1956 by the Japanese government, a year before his passing in 1957.

simonwolf on

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    good, good, no backup needed.

*save draft*

like a well-oiled machine, this [chat] handoff. Not like the chaos we've seen recently.

edited January 2018
    lol and I FUCK IT UP by clicking save because I'm useless. I'm going to bed.

spool32 on
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    This chat has no poll

Close this

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Tsk.

Patience is a virtue, etc.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20 for spool's saving throw against death from embarrassment

spool's saving throw against death from embarrassment:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    This chat has no poll

Close this

You close yourself

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    This chat has no poll

Close this

I've no choice but to report you to the authorities

Polls are bad

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Ur bad

Ur bad
    True, but unrelated

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    TWO chats? what is this anarchy?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    @visiblehowl @OnTheLastCastle @Zampanov @miscellaneousdarksoulspeople

so how frostbite works in ds3 is that it procs for a %of max HP and then applies a debuff for a period during which frostbite cannot be applied
    however taking fire damage cures the debuff, so if you alternate between frost and fire damage, you can do very high dps on enemies susceptible to it

ran a quick experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsORqGlBI0c

i missed seeing the first frostbite proc, so i wound up not really taking advantage of it. in the second half, i get into the rhythm and you can see the DPS difference.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

22 hours till MonHun

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

22 hours till MonHun

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Chop chop chop that’ll be me and @elki and maybe @Sir Landshark

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I’m in my parents basement before dad has surgery

I miss Sal. Why did I know I couldn’t really feel things until I moved but was unable to do anything about it.

I miss Sal. Why did I know I couldn’t really feel things until I moved but was unable to do anything about it.

maybe after you get settled you can have her come up for a weekend?

now sure how comfortable you two would be about that.

Also dude Sea of Thieves is the truth

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Darn it, the other chart closed

Now where am I going to find an adventuring party to fetch me twelve moose buttholes

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

I don’t know if I should reach out to her. We cut off contact so she can get over me, basically. So I guess I made my depression bed.

I don’t know if I should reach out to her. We cut off contact so she can get over me, basically. So I guess I made my depression bed.

I guess its time for this

sayanything_hed.jpg?itok=W8QKwkfr&resize=1100x740

jesus

this new Logan Paul video is something else.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    I find the most endearing feature of Windows 10 is that, in the year of our lord 2018, an application can irretrievably freeze because a file dialogue can't find a network drive it expects to be there.

I may try the sea of thieves beta tomorrow before MH

too bad you won’t be on Xbox with us right

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    jesus

My advice is: Don't even bother.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    jesus

What's he done now?

I may try the sea of thieves beta tomorrow before MH

too bad you won’t be on Xbox with us right

for MonHun, unfortunately not.

But I'm there for Sea of Thieves.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    I find the most endearing feature of Windows 10 is that, in the year of our lord 2018, an application can irretrievably freeze because a file dialogue can't find a network drive it expects to be there.

new fancy metro file picker, or old win32 one

aRkpc.gif
    edited January 2018
    jesus

What's he done now?

Nothing this is his comeback video

where he hired a stylist to cut his hair, a PR team to write the script and a good video production team get some good shots of him looking mildly sad, remorseful and pensive.

bloodyroarxx on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    jesus

What's he done now?

Nothing this is his comeback video

where he hired a stylist to cut his hair, a PR team to write the script and a good video production team get some good shots of him looking mildly sad, remorseful and pensive.

I keep expecting alpha-channel Jimmy Barnes to appear behind him.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's a blatant "if I patch over this one thing people say was bad with a well-produced apology video surely everything will go back the way it was" when the problem, as a person on twitter I now can't re-find said, that the whole "posting a video of a dead body in a forest specifically gone to because of its association with suicide" thing is simply one manifestation of a darker underlying core which is absent empathy

Then again pewdiepie seems to be bouncing back from his ""heated gamer moment"" so this shit will probably stick as well

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

bring back windows 3.1

that was the last version of windows where you actually regained control of the PC when you hit ctrl+alt+del

10 often does this infuriating thing where the c+a+d screen comes up but then when you open task manager it's stuck behind the crashed application windows can't minimise making it fucking useless!

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    ronya wrote: »

new fancy metro file picker, or old win32 one

Old one

I'm basically dependent on Ctrl+S because trying to "save as" locks up any office app unless I'm VPNed

japan on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Yeah it's a blatant "if I patch over this one thing people say was bad with a well-produced apology video surely everything will go back the way it was" when the problem, as a person on twitter I now can't re-find said, that the whole "posting a video of a dead body in a forest specifically gone to because of its association with suicide" thing is simply one manifestation of a darker underlying core which is absent empathy

Then again pewdiepie seems to be bouncing back from his ""heated gamer moment"" so this shit will probably stick as well

Unlike PewPieDie I'm getting a dumb vibe from Paul, rather than actively malicious. Too bad he's kind of screwed since his father and brother are severely bad influences, his entourage is a bunch of Yes Men and his fan base is less self aware than he is.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't have any major problems with Windows 10

I'd probably consider it the best version of Windows since XP?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

Unlike PewPieDie I'm getting a dumb vibe from Paul, rather than actively malicious. Too bad he's kind of screwed since his father and brother are severely bad influences, his entourage is a bunch of Yes Men and his fan base is less self aware than he is.

He pulled a lot of shit in Japan besides filming a dead body. To the point that even if he really is too dumb to figure out how shitty he's being, it doesn't matter.

This discussion has been closed.