As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kawase Hasui [chat]

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Yeah it's a blatant "if I patch over this one thing people say was bad with a well-produced apology video surely everything will go back the way it was" when the problem, as a person on twitter I now can't re-find said, that the whole "posting a video of a dead body in a forest specifically gone to because of its association with suicide" thing is simply one manifestation of a darker underlying core which is absent empathy

Then again pewdiepie seems to be bouncing back from his ""heated gamer moment"" so this shit will probably stick as well

Unlike PewPieDie I'm getting a dumb vibe from Paul, rather than actively malicious. Too bad he's kind of screwed since his father and brother are severely bad influences, his entourage is a bunch of Yes Men and his fan base is less self aware than he is.

He pulled a lot of shit in Japan besides filming a dead body. To the point that even if he really is too dumb to figure out how shitty he's being, it doesn't matter.

This is true, but like I said, given what his status quo is he's never going to be able to have a true learning moment - ignorant can be educated with the proper environment evil cannot.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I’m in my parents basement before dad has surgery

I miss Sal. Why did I know I couldn’t really feel things until I moved but was unable to do anything about it.

maybe after you get settled you can have her come up for a weekend?

now sure how comfortable you two would be about that.

Also dude Sea of Thieves is the truth

I don’t know if I should reach out to her. We cut off contact so she can get over me, basically. So I guess I made my depression bed.

So I know this is unsolicited advice but my two cents

Contact her, if in your heart of hearts, beyond your depression, you desire to contact her.

I know that sounds hallmarkish and trite but speaking as someone who maintained a wall of silence for two years after the girl he loved moved to San Antonio, if you love her call her, talk about it, work through it, and figure it out.

Otherwise if you do nothing you'll have a regret that will eat away at you for a very very long time. Forever, actually.

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    @SniperGuy @Elki @TheKoolEagle im watching JoshOG and some other guys on twitch play Sea Of Thieves and they have 20! chests on board.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    I find the most endearing feature of Windows 10 is that, in the year of our lord 2018, an application can irretrievably freeze because a file dialogue can't find a network drive it expects to be there.

new fancy metro file picker, or old win32 one

Old one

I'm basically dependent on Ctrl+S because trying to "save as" locks up any office app unless I'm VPNed

Can you delete your network drives if you know you're going to be working off VPN?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't have any major problems with Windows 10

I'd probably consider it the best version of Windows since XP?

It works pretty well for me.

That said, I went through a long exercise of tuning Windows 10 Enterprise and removing all of the crapware and turning off the privacy-invasive settings.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Erica Erykah Badu, what are you doing?

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/erykah-badu-in-conversation.html
    What’s your opinion on this larger discussion happening now about whether we can separate the art from the artist, be it XXXTentacion or Fela or Louis C.K. or Bill Cosby or whomever?
    It takes me back to a story my grandmother told me about Jesus and Barabbas. Jesus is standing on one side, Barabbas is standing on the other side, and the people have to choose which one of them could go free. Some people started yelling, “Barabbas! Barabbas! Barabbas!” Then so many people were doing that that the others found safety in numbers, and they also started yelling, “Barabbas! Barabbas! Barabbas!” People walked up who didn’t even know what was going on and they also started yelling for Barabbas to go free. I always think about that. It’s so important to me.

I think I follow, but can you tell me more about how that parable applies here?
    That I don’t want to get scared into not thinking for myself. I weigh everything. Even what you just asked me, I would have to really think about it and know the facts in each of those situations before I made a judgment. Because I love Bill Cosby, and I love what he’s done for the world. But if he’s sick, why would I be angry with him? The people who got hurt, I feel so bad for them. I want them to feel better, too. But sick people do evil things; hurt people hurt people. I know I could be crucified for saying that, because I’m supposed to be on the purple team or the green team. I’m not trying to rebel against what everybody’s saying, but maybe I want to measure it. Somebody will call me and ask me to come to a march because such and such got shot. In that situation I want to know what really happened. I’m not going to jump up and go march just because I’m green and the person who got shot is green. The rush to get mad doesn’t make sense to me.

Well, I agree that as a culture right now, we’re better at mobilizing out of a sense of injustice or anger than we are at figuring out what to do next.
    People can be bad for certain things. They could be bad around children. They could be bad with power. Are those people all “bad”? Could be. Maybe they need to get kicked off the planet. I don’t know. Each thing is individual. There aren’t rules for how we can or should think about something. We don’t have to believe everything we’re hearing. At least I don’t think we do. I’m glad I don’t watch this stuff.

The news, you mean?
    Everything. I read the description of an empath and I think I fit the description pretty well. It’s about absorbing people’s feelings.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    2 harams don't make a halal

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Islamic Late Stage Capitalism Memes

90wtk224vub01.jpg

Yes, let us put aside our religious differences and unite under our shared CLASS CONSCIOUSNESS

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I find the most endearing feature of Windows 10 is that, in the year of our lord 2018, an application can irretrievably freeze because a file dialogue can't find a network drive it expects to be there.

Old one

I'm basically dependent on Ctrl+S because trying to "save as" locks up any office app unless I'm VPNed

Can you delete your network drives if you know you're going to be working off VPN?

I assume not, because it's a corporate laptop and pretty locked down

Plus I work off site a lot so that would involve deleting and restoring them multiple times a week which seems like kind of a pain

Googling suggests that the culprits may be either the recent file list having something in it that was loaded directly from a network drive, or possibly a misbehaving printer driver

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Feral wrote: »

Old one

I assume not, because it's a corporate laptop and pretty locked down

Plus I work off site a lot so that would involve deleting and restoring them multiple times a week which seems like kind of a pain

Googling suggests that the culprits may be either the recent file list having something in it that was loaded directly from a network drive, or possibly a misbehaving printer driver

Generally speaking, network drives can be deleted and recreated by the user, even on a managed corporate laptop.

This isn't a solution, more of a workaround.

I'd set up two scripts, one that deleted all of my network drives, then a second one that recreated then. I'd store them on my desktop and run them as needed.

Feral on

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    It's like this @Havelock2.0
    Far away in the heavenly abode of the great god Indra, there is a wonderful net which has been hung by some cunning artificer in such a manner that it stretches out infinitely in all directions. In accordance with the extravagant tastes of deities, the artificer has hung a single glittering meme in each "eye" of the net, and since the net itself is infinite in dimension, the memes are infinite in number. There hang the memes, glittering "like" stars in the first magnitude, a wonderful sight to behold. If we now arbitrarily select one of these memes for inspection and look closely at it, we will discover that in its polished surface there are reflected all the other memes in the net, infinite in number. Not only that, but each of the memes reflected in this one meme is also reflecting all the other memes, so that there is an infinite reflecting process occurring.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Far away in the heavenly abode of the great god Indra, there is a wonderful net which has been hung by some cunning artificer in such a manner that it stretches out infinitely in all directions. In accordance with the extravagant tastes of deities, the artificer has hung a single glittering meme in each "eye" of the net, and since the net itself is infinite in dimension, the memes are infinite in number. There hang the memes, glittering "like" stars in the first magnitude, a wonderful sight to behold. If we now arbitrarily select one of these memes for inspection and look closely at it, we will discover that in its polished surface there are reflected all the other memes in the net, infinite in number. Not only that, but each of the memes reflected in this one meme is also reflecting all the other memes, so that there is an infinite reflecting process occurring.

Okay but how do I post this to Twitter

• Options
    It's like this "Havelock2.0"

A thread?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

A screenshot that Twitter will then trim to make it unreadable without several click throughs

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    my roommate loves doki doki literature club and it sounds like a real weird fucking experience

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    As with all things that sound like anime I am wary of googling. Doki doki literature club might be a fun gathering of people talking about books, or something else entirely.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    As with all things that sound like anime I am wary of googling. Doki doki literature club might be a fun gathering of people talking about books, or something else entirely.
    yes to both but the second yes is not in the way you're imagining.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    yes to both but the second yes is not in the way you're imagining.

They're actually playing the latest Pokemon on a console.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    my roommate loves doki doki literature club and it sounds like a real weird fucking experience

I read what a full playthrough entails and yeah that seems like an understatement.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I forced my friends to watch Arrival last night and now I want to rewatch more of Villeneuve's films
    CELLS

INTERLINKED

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

I had to stop playing because I reached a point where I thought that if I went any further I wouldn't be able to handle it, like, emotionally.

Then someone spoiled it for me and it turns out I was 100% correct.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

I had to stop playing because I reached a point where I thought that if I went any further I wouldn't be able to handle it, like, emotionally.

Yeahhhhh

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Yes.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have googled it and it sounds like a pretty cool, inventive game.

• Options

yup I read about it and was like ill just take my visual novels full of smut plzkthx.

Although I did love Katawa Shoujo and that fucked me up emotionally real bad.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    a

This is going to seem stupid but I understand now.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    i actually want to read up on WTF is happening with the US government shut down but have no idea where to begin

the threads on the matter have progressed so deep into it i'd be derailing them to go back and ask for an "explain like i'm 5" recap

cant discuss it in here

news articles have left me kind of confused

i'm just confused as to how they're in a shut down situation when the GOP have the house, congress and the presidents office

it's cool tho, i'll just stay confused :S

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

I think it absolutely is.

I give the creators a lot of credit. The little bit of the "serious" part I experienced was a very raw, accurate representation of a particular situation, and I felt all the helplessness one would feel in that position. And I didn't even get to the "shock" part.

I just flat out cannot handle emotional investment in that story, both because of the general intensity of it, and because of its specific resemblance to the experience of someone very close to me in real life.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

yup I read about it and was like ill just take my visual novels full of smut plzkthx.

Although I did love Katawa Shoujo and that fucked me up emotionally real bad.

I adored Katawa Shoujo, and it also fucked me up, and frankly has made me very wary of story-heavy VNs ever since.

I was out of it for like two weeks after Katawa Shoujo. I don't know how long Doki Doki Literature Club would take me out for. A lot longer, I think.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    my roommate has a p morbid sense of humor/outlook so i don't think he's especially traumatized, but he does find it well done/creative and funny

i think he might torture squirrels when i'm not home

• Options
    im actually liking these weird anime story games that are designed to upend your expectations

hatoful boyfriend was actually really well written, it was gut wrenching in places and its a cartoon game about dating highschool boys who are also birds

• Options
    a
    It's like this "Havelock2.0"

This is going to seem stupid but I understand now.

I don't think it's stupid! Sometimes all it takes to understand something is an illustration of the concepts at work in a way the person being explained to can envision

That being said, i totally just copied an excerpt describing Indra's Net and find+replaced all instances of jewel with meme

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    yay my cat came back!

the jerk had me so worried.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    yay my cat came back!

the jerk had me so worried.

it just couldn't stay away

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    c4ko1olzhkfn.png

Rise engineers and assemble the forbidden cube of Raz Tal'mud

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    my roommate has a p morbid sense of humor/outlook so i don't think he's especially traumatized, but he does find it well done/creative and funny

i think he might torture squirrels when i'm not home

Squirrels are jerks

• Options

I give the creators a lot of credit. The little bit of the "serious" part I experienced was a very raw, accurate representation of a particular situation, and I felt all the helplessness one would feel in that position. And I didn't even get to the "shock" part.

I just flat out cannot handle emotional investment in that story, both because of the general intensity of it, and because of its specific resemblance to the experience of someone very close to me in real life.

It's funny because i have been playing Stardew Valley and there was a thing churning around in my head of "what if there was a horror version of it which behaves normally until you stop playing for an extended period of time, where upon loading back in you return to an empty farmhouse, a ghost town where time has been passing in your absence with all the trappings of a 'you abanoned us and left us to rot' situation"

I think that would be deeply unsettling in a similar way

• Options

It's funny because i have been playing Stardew Valley and there was a thing churning around in my head of "what if there was a horror version of it which behaves normally until you stop playing for an extended period of time, where upon loading back in you return to an empty farmhouse, a ghost town where time has been passing in your absence with all the trappings of a 'you abanoned us and left us to rot' situation"

I think that would be deeply unsettling in a similar way

Didn't someone do an Animal Crossing Let's Play with this premise?

vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.