As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game Of the Year 2017 - Vote Here

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
I don't post here often, but every year I let you know when G&T are doing the Game of the Year poll. So here is my annual SE++ thread.

The G&T Thread is here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/217347/goty-2017-vote-here#latest

Or you can just vote direct here: http://goty.padev.net/

When the results are up I'll update the OP with a link.

Have fun!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My Top 5

Super Mario Odyssey
    Persona 5
    Breath of the Wild
    Tales of Berseria
    Injustice 2

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    IT'S KNACK 2, BABY

uc3ufTB.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm playing through Butterfly Soup at the moment, but will vote sometime after I'm done with it. May try to do Edith Finch before the deadline, too.

dN0T6ur.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I posted it in the G&T thread too, but there’s a huge glaring omission of PUBG on that list.

I’m not gonna give it my #1 but when you start factoring in top 10 it makes it, and I’m sure that’s gonna be the case for a lot of people.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    2017 was pretty nuts. I think I'm going to have a pretty long list, and they were all really good games. My top 10 is gonna look wild compared to past years.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I posted it in the G&T thread too, but there’s a huge glaring omission of PUBG on that list.

I’m not gonna give it my #1 but when you start factoring in top 10 it makes it, and I’m sure that’s gonna be the case for a lot of people.

Yeah, I think for pure moments of panic or glee, I'd put it at #1 or #2 myself. Zelda is better, but PUBG gave me moments like no other game before it.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I had almost finished the form when I realized it and was like WAIT WHAT THE HELL???

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Nier A
    Tales of Berseria
    Tekken 7
    Fate/Grand Order
    Persona 5

With Yakuza 0, FE: Echoes, Guilty Gear, and Wolfenstein 2 rounding out my top 9 (only played 9 games released last year that I felt like giving a vote to). Putting a gacha game over P5 feels almost wrong, but whatever, the amount of entertainment I've gotten out of this dumb phone game justifies it. Yakuza 0 would probably be higher if I actually ever finished it.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    how do you know when your vote is recognized?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    how do you know when your vote is recognized?

refresh the page and it'll show you

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    oh!

I am recognized!

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    1. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    2. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
    3. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
    6. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (NS)
    7. Assassin's Creed: Origins (PC, PS4, XBO)
    8. SteamWorld Dig 2 (PS4, PSVITA, PC, NS)
    9. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    10. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC, PS4, XBO)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    For the Record

1: Breath of the Wild
    2: Hollow Knight
    3: Cuphead
    4: Puyo Puyo Tetris

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    1. Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS, PS4)
    2. Nier: Automata (PC, PS4)
    3. Cuphead (PC, XBO)
    4. Battle Chef Brigade (PC, NS)
    5. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PC, PS4, XBO, PSVR)
    6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    7. Splatoon 2 (NS)
    8. Hiveswap (PC)
    9. Pyre (PC, PS4)
    10. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    11. Opus Magnum (PC)
    12. Sonic Mania (PC, NS, PS4, XBO)
    13. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    14. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    15. The Jackbox Party Pack 4 (PC, PS4, XBO, NS, Mobile)
    16. Snake Pass (PC, NS, PS4, XBO)
    17. Arms (NS)
    18. TumbleSeed (NS, PC, PS4)
    19. Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC)
    20. Destiny 2 (PC, PS4, XBO)

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I only played 2 new games this year.
    1. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    2. Nioh (PC, PS4)

But they were both excellent so I guess that is ok.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    1. Night in the Woods (PC, PS4)

Ya'll know what it is. The best character writing I've witnessed in a videogame.
      Every American teenager should play this game after highschool.

2. Tales of Berseria (PC, PS4)

JRPG of the Year, fantastic protagonist and story. Hampered by Anime Art Design, and a combat system that didn't engage me.
      It's still fuckin' Rad.

3. Culdcept Revolt (3DS)

It's the 2017 US release of the latest Monopoly / Magic The Gathering mishmash RPG.
      It's still real good, though the story bits and characters goes from terrible to ok

4. Yakuza 0 (PS4)

It's a great Yakuza game that would have been higher on the list,
      if not for the chronic misogyny and actions of violence against women, in game as a story telling device
      and a terrible representation of LGBTQ in a few of it's villians

5. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)

It's fine, Stylish as hell, a little disappointing character and story wise. Great Gameplay, but I don't play Persona for the Gameplay.
      I recommend folk play Berseria!
    6. Expeditions: Vikings (PC)

Yo, this is a CRPG, that can scratch that itch, on the same level as a Tyranny, or a Pillars of Eternity, or a Baldur's Gate.
      Made by a small indie dev team, but fantastic and punches above it's weight.
    7. Tiny Metal (PC, NS, PS4)

It's shiny and cute Advance Wars, with a rad campaign. I have a lot of fun with it on the Switch.
    8. Nioh (PC, PS4)

Enjoyed it quite a bit until, I got stuck, and there was other stuff to play. Bushido Blade meets Demon Souls in 2017.
      I've heard they have updated it quite a bit since release, and added pausing. That's rad as hell.
    9. Divinity: Original Sin II (PC)

Best game, I can barely play. Everything about it is right in my wheelhouse.
      Font is too small to read the text, and text is 80% of the game. You can break the UI to increase it, but I'm going to wait til it's updated
    10. Tekken 7 (PC, PS4, XBO)

It's Tekken! I enjoyed the Treasure Battle arcade mode a lot, and messing around relearning fighters.
      Story Mode is bad, Narration loading screens are terrible. Storymode follows the most boring characters and conflicts in the series.
      Draws from the CG Tekken Movie. The directer involved in Character Design is super gross in public.
    11. Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith (PC)

Yo, it's a really accessable modern Dominions game. Create a god, have your tribe explore a mystic map, Get up to crazy spell battles with Monster Armies.
    12. The Jackbox Party Pack 4 (PC, PS4, XBO, NS, Mobile)

Had a lot of fun with this at Pax South. Social games that can accommodate a crowd in a hotel room or lobby are super rad and valuable.
    13. Heat Signature (PC)

Crash into a spaceship, pause, look around, throw a wrench into a guard, grab the keys, get the package, jump out into the void, get picked up by your spacepod.
    14. The Shrouded Isle (PC)

You are the Mayo/Priest of a gloomy Isle. Pick leaders of the cult to please a nebulous dark god from well to do families. Pick bad eggs to be sacrificed.
      The end is coming, and you will be judged.
    15. Battle Chasers: Nightwar (PC, PS4, XBO)

It's a fine turnbased RPG. A little dry. Rad Characters / Art / Music
    16. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)

I loved Xenoblade Chronicles X. This is a bit of a downgrade from that. Less crazy, more british, and more embarrassing bikini character designs
    17. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC, PS4, XBO)

It's rad enough to make my list, even though I don't tend to play shooters.
      Not big on most western examples of real time gameplay in general, outside of a few genres
      Killer story. Maybe Youtube it, if it's not your cup of tea.
    18. Kingsway (PC)

It's a cute and novel little RPG, based on a windows 95 era operating system.
      Fun time killer
    19. Battle Chef Brigade (PC, NS)

I've played a little of it. I love the art style and combat.
      The match 3 segment of the gameplay is a bit of a downer for me
    20. Torment: Tides of Numenera (PC, PS4, XBO)

This game could be really rad on PC, but I picked this up on PS4.
      The PS4 control scheme is terrible, and that's from someone who can tolerate playing CRPGs on a steam controller.
      Loved the previous planescape, and this looks similar.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Damnit I forgot about at least 3 games that came out last year.

...Eh, 2 weren't top 5 and I haven't finished the 3rd so I can't put down an opinion yet, I'll leave it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I really thought I played more than 19 new games this year.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Huh, I only played 10 new games this year, so I guess here's my top 10:
    1. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    2. Golf Story (NS)
    3. Thimbleweed Park (XBO, PC, Mobile, NS)
    4. Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC)
    5. Splatoon 2 (NS)
    6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    7. Stranger Things: The Game (Mobile)
    8. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (Mobile)
    9. Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile)
    10. Star Fox 2 (SNES)

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i did the thing and then forgot a bunch of games

2017 was rough

my top 5 ended up being mario, xenoblade 2, cuphead, nier, and re7 but I forgot to even put yakuza and persona on the list and those would've bumped nier and re7 down out of the 5 so oopsies

7yh4xczljsym.png
    i did the thing and then forgot a bunch of games

2017 was rough

my top 5 ended up being mario, xenoblade 2, cuphead, nier, and re7 but I forgot to even put yakuza and persona on the list and those would've bumped nier and re7 down out of the 5 so oopsies

Persona needs more votes. Fix it!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I have played three games that came out last year. Heat Signature was the best one, although I didn't really get into it (or one of the other ones on my list, for that matter) until after New Year's

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Top 5 for me

1. Nier Automata
    2. Tales of berseria
    3. Night in the woods
    4. Doki Doki literature club
    5. Persona 5

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    wtf

Janson on
    Janson wrote: »
    wtf

Chicken butt

• RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The only new game I played this past year was Breath of the Wild so I guess that's number 1. I watched a bunch of other things on Twitch but I can't count those.

Rayze on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Tekken 7
    All the yakuza games that came out

Okay, we're done here

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    1. Horizon
    2. Injustice 2
    3. Persona 5

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Tekken 7 definitely wins the"Most Common Reason I Turned on my PS4" award, which pushed it higher on my list than I initially expected.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm still playing DBZ Xenoverse 2, over Tekken 7, by a mile.

VayBJ4e.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    It turns out I didn't play many new games this year, and I don't have a Switch.

Also Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood wasn't on the list (I guess because it's an expansion? But the Shovel Knight expansion was there?), and that ate up a bunch of my time.

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Yeah if the stormblood expansion was on there it would have pushed off persona 5 from my top 5

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    It turns out I didn't play many new games this year, and I don't have a Switch.

Also Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood wasn't on the list (I guess because it's an expansion? But the Shovel Knight expansion was there?), and that ate up a bunch of my time.
    Specter of Torment is a pretty different game from Shovel Knight, despite being contained within it. It wasn't like Plague Knight at all where the level designs were mostly the same "but do it as this guy now." How you got to the levels, the layout of the levels, it was all different. I'd liken it to a prequel game.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Poll doesn't have a joke option: Larlar and is therefore invalid

Also maybe NeiR: Automota was my goty...or Wolfenstein 2...it's tough to say.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    My top 3 were Night in the Woods, Horizon and Pyre

CYpGAPn.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Overwatch

Again
    AC: origins probably?

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    What I entered-
    Mario
    Zelda
    Heat Signature
    Mass Effect Andromeda
    Splatoon 2
    Jackbox 4
    Sonic Mania

Then I forgot I'd bought Hiveswap, Pyre, and Arms, but only Pyre might have been top 5 and I haven't finished it yet.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Persona 5
    NITW
    Yakuza 0
    Wolfenstein II
    Nier Automata
    Destiny 2

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    video games?! this the laziest poll thread yet

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight!

That's all.