As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Widening CCST

BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in PAX Archive
Brand new here, lurked for a good bit, and this idea prompted me to register. Now, this is a very tentative idea, but hear me out. I am very interested in participating in the CCST, but I live in South Carolina (woe is me, I know) and that makes me unable to be a viable driver/passenger in what is an awesome idea, and from what I've read, is an awesome experience. But then I thought wait, it's nearly the same distance from the start to South Bend as it is from where I live to South Bend. So why not start a band of us from the southeast and meet up with the legitimate CCST in South Bend? Just throwing out an idea, and I'd like to get some responses from anyone who's south of the route but wants to go. If it's just me, then, well, I guess I'm fucked.

edit- I spelled woe wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BomanTheBear on

• Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I would totally be up for this if I had the time off from work to drive to Seattle and back. Sadly I don't want to take over a week off for PAX (even though it is awesome). I don't get a ton of vacation and I do like to go other places than PAX.

Bah, I wish I had the time like when I was in college :P

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    I am actually already working on an idea approaching this. I have some preliminary route scheduling made up already, stay tuned. Sometime next month I'll be posting the CCST08 thread. Keep your attention to this forum and PM me if you have any questions.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ::checks Amtrak:: You can go from Greenville, SC to South Bend, IN. However it's a very LONG trip (25 hours and a bag of chips) and a very EXPENSIVE trip ($275). So, alas, all the I <3 Amtrak power in the world isn't going to make that a good idea. $540 will get you all the way to Seattle and back on Amtrak.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Okay I just got home from work and dug up my preliminary routes.
    Here's the one from SC.

And here's the others.
    From Ottawa, ON
    From New York City
    From Virginia
    From Jacksonville, FL
    and from New Orleans

Please remember these are preliminary. The official CCST thread and webpage updates will be happening early next month. If you have any questions before or after that time, ask away.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    I got the same route when I first put it in, but then did the route that goes from SC to South Bend, and then South Bend to Seattle, and it's only an 18 mile discrepancy. I think that's a reasonable difference to link up with the caravan a good couple hundred miles earlier.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, the plan is to have more people joining on along that proposed route. But, as I said, that route is preliminary, things will probably change a little over the next few weeks, and possibly even more over the next nine months.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Alright, I'll be tuned in.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    Okay I just got home from work and dug up my preliminary routes.
    Here's the one from SC.

And here's the others.
    From Ottawa, ON
    From New York City
    From Virginia
    From Jacksonville, FL
    and from New Orleans

Please remember these are preliminary. The official CCST thread and webpage updates will be happening early next month. If you have any questions before or after that time, ask away.

I'll say, the Virginia/New Orleans/Florida ones make people go in the wrong direction for a long period of time/distance in Iowa. For people come from those places, that's a huge gas cost.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    There is only a 65 mile difference between this and this. Yet it allows for anybody coming along that route to meet us a full five hours earlier for an approximate extra $10 in gas (split between the occupants of the car) and maybe an extra two hours of total driving time. It may look longer eyeballing the map, but the numbers make the difference minuscule.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am an optimist. I firmly believe that by mid 2008 45% of the people in the US will have flying cars and as a result, the CCST will be a lot more fun and take less time.

Also, rocket packs.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Alright, for Christmas, I was given a fly-ass DC/AC converter which allows me to put a tv and a console or DVD player in my car. So needless to say, I'm looking to roadtrip. Just hope there's enough people from my area down here to warrant it.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    yoshamano wrote: »
    ::checks Amtrak:: You can go from Greenville, SC to South Bend, IN. However it's a very LONG trip (25 hours and a bag of chips) and a very EXPENSIVE trip ($275). So, alas, all the I <3 Amtrak power in the world isn't going to make that a good idea. $540 will get you all the way to Seattle and back on Amtrak.
    You can probably fly for cheaper than that.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    and drive for about a third of that

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    and drive for about a third of that

As I break out one of my excel sheets... "Amtraking" from Ann Arbor to Seattle round trip (using student discounts) would be $340 per person, driving last year was $157.75 per person for 3 people. So that was more like half...

But doing some quick comparisons... For us roundtrip from Greenville to Seattle, it would be $167.50. Greyhound can even only get down to $198.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    EDIT: Damn forum 504 error making me double post.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    GhellamGhellam Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    Really glad to see this. I won't be able to attend PAX for a couple of years, but when I can, this will certainly make it easier. I didn't want to have to drive from Louisiana to Washington either alone or with one or two friends. (Most of my friends aren't gamers.) I was actually looking at creating a similar route myself to meet up with everyone, even though I can't attend for a while.

Ghellam on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If there's enough people from this area going, I'll cut some school and go in 08. If not, I'll go in 09.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Why not go in both 08 and 09?

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Because I'm going to have to cut some school to go this year, but next year, I'll be a graduate. However, if there's a big enough demand for drivers, I'll cut that school. Basically, I'm weighing pros and cons.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    There's always a big demand for drivers.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay everybody, the official CCST 2008 thread is up and running, so I'm locking this one and encouraging people to post over there.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=46037

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.