As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's not the absolute worst, but it's pretty psychologically draining and I still had accessory work after that

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Oh absolutely, That’s the primary reason I have an issue with programs that schedule two of the main compound movements on the same training day.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    My old program had (as well as accessory work)

bench & pendlays (not too bad)
    squats on their own
    Incline bench and barbell rows (fine)
    Deadlifts & Front Squats (please don't make me go to the gym)

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    So I'm doing 5x5 stronglifts; last time was squat/overhead press/deadlift, and when I got past warmups and on to the full weight set for deadlift, partway through the second lift, my nose started bleeding.

Now, this is a reflection of the weakness of my nose rather than the strength of my deadlift, I am not lifting anything very heavy at all -- but it still seems to be heavy enough that my nose can't keep up. Googling, this seems to just be one of those things that happens from time to time; does anyone have any tips beyond "stuff tissue in there and get back to lifting"? That's what I did, and it worked fine, but I really don't want to get bloodstains on anything if I can avoid it -- but I also really don't want to not squeeze my abs as much because last time I forgot to do that I messed up my back, and that's definitely a worse result.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I also sometimes get nosebleeds out of nowhere, I'll just do the clamp your nose with your head tipped a bit forward until it clots thing or just jam tissues in my nostrils if I don't feel like waiting. The spiked pressure during heavy lifts has caused them, but less often than one would think considering how little it can take to trigger them elsewhere, hopefully it'll be the same for you. If you're worried you could pre emptively jam some tissue in your nose before a heavy lift so that you won't make a mess if you do end up getting a nosebleed.

To add to this, if you're taking fish oil/omega 3 supplements at a high dose then consider dialing them back as they have a blood thinning affect which can make nosebleeds more common. That was a learning experience for me!

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited January 2018
    2l1ve3qydf8j.jpeg
    New program - I’m gonna program accessories this time around instead of just doing random shit after my main work.

Hit 4x5 and 1x6 pretty easily with 120kg, which I think is some kind of rep/intensity PR.

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    My new warmup protocol is "warmups until it doesn't feel like shit". Bar squats feel like shit? Another set of bar squats. 60kg feels like shit? another set of 60kg. Once I get above 70% or so and feels ok I can do my real sets.

I've found that I often need some weight on the bar to really get in the right groove. But, 60% reps are good for getting some blood into the joints.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I have that problem on bench, I'm loosey goosey as hell before I get real weight on the bar. I notice a difference when I do all of my warmup sets right, duh, but it's a real struggle to keep my form dialed in.

Also weighted dips continue to both rule and suck.

Peen on
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm trying to get back into the 30-50-80% warm up sets routine. Last time I did that was the first time I really started to see some increases in my bench press.

Also, anybody have any reccomendations of dumbbell flys? Particularly incline? I've pretty much phased them out of my chest routine because after big ass db presses I feel like they don't do anything. Should I just go way down on the weight?

Juggernut on
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I don't remember where I heard it, pretty sure it was in here but might have been somewhere else not as cool.

Plan your deload weeks, put them into your schedule. If you don't, you will likely be like me where you should have been on a deload but instead you're two days past a burn out and wasting your time and energy getting nothing good done

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    The spiked pressure during heavy lifts has caused them, but less often than one would think considering how little it can take to trigger them elsewhere, hopefully it'll be the same for you.

yeah, I think it's a combination of dry winter air as well as extra pressure all being a bit too much, so I'll just keep an eye on things same as normal and get ready to plug if necessary. thanks!

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    So my suit that I got a couple of years ago doesn’t really fit. I’m 20 pounds heavier, the pants still fit, but the jacket is very restrictive in the chest, arms, and back. Which is something I’m proud of, but it also makes me realize just how stupid the damn suit styles are, they don’t account for anybody with neck, biceps, or quads or any muscle mass.

I’ve had to go get fitted for another suit for an interview and here’s hoping it lasts longer than two years!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You may end up in the custom suit zone. I got to the point where anything that would fit my shoulders and yoke was way too big around the waist and they couldn't take it in enough.

You may end up in the custom suit zone. I got to the point where anything that would fit my shoulders and yoke was way too big around the waist and they couldn't take it in enough.

It’s going to have to be at some point. Chest is 50 or 52”, neck is verging on 19”

Waist is 38 but I need to wear 40’s or 42’s to accommodate ass and thighs

Those suits that I had expensively tailored came out ok. Thankfully there’s still a little room in the back and arms, I think I could get back up a fair ways before having to take them in again

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Finally got a cage and barbell setup! It's nice!

It is kind of annoying to swap out weights and set up when I'm already tired, but I suppose that gets easier as bar weight starts feeling lighter. I'm doing the Stronglifts 5x5 stuff, still just adding every exercise for a bit, since I just started from the bar.

After like a year of having 40lb dumbells as my maximum weights, it's really nice to be able to get past that. And also to not feel like maybe I'm going to drop a weight on my head if I fail.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular

It’s going to have to be at some point. Chest is 50 or 52”, neck is verging on 19”

i want these problemsss

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Just become a fashion trendsetter.

xdaj1qsy0adz.jpg

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Can you legitimately call those shoes greaves?

You’re right, I’m over thinking it

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Can you legitimately call those shoes greaves?

Extended sabatons maybe, but greaves are right out. They barely cover half the shin!

4x5 with 172,5kg or 75% of my projected 1RM followed by an amrap for 8, which is a PR.

qw7hgln4fc7q.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    thank god the gym was empty today because there are side effects to my patented five alarm high protein low carb chili and it was squat day

Walt wrote: »
    thank god the gym was empty today because there are side effects to my patented five alarm high protein low carb chili and it was squat day

I have in all seriousness skipped my programming if my stomach was uncooperative

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I have in all seriousness skipped my programming if my stomach was uncooperative

Everybody else in the gym is downing protein shakes and pre-workout, your farts are nothing to them.

Yeah but I’m still self conscious which will affect my workout

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    protein shakes/creatine don't give me horrible gas. it makes the gas that does come out pretty rancid, though

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    My girlfriend has tried squats as a part of her workout a few times but pretty much immediately had some knee pain complaints.

We think this is because her hamstrings are so tight they basically don't let her actually squat. She can't break parallel without her heels coming up, so her form was always off.

So instead we're doing mostly upper-body exercises and working on stretches.

Is there any specific recommendation for squat-replacing/knee-helping?

It sucks that leg pain is getting in the way of a lot of the exercises that are supposed to help make your legs work better.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited January 2018
    Board under the heels?

Sleep on

Everybody else in the gym is downing protein shakes and pre-workout, your farts are nothing to them.

Not true, I’ve certainly dropped some serious bombs that have cleared sections.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    My girlfriend has tried squats as a part of her workout a few times but pretty much immediately had some knee pain complaints.

We think this is because her hamstrings are so tight they basically don't let her actually squat. She can't break parallel without her heels coming up, so her form was always off.

So instead we're doing mostly upper-body exercises and working on stretches.

Is there any specific recommendation for squat-replacing/knee-helping?

It sucks that leg pain is getting in the way of a lot of the exercises that are supposed to help make your legs work better.

Light weight good mornings, RDLs, and making sure you're warming up enough. Even use squats as part of the warm up. Bodyweight or goblet, steady speed, to get the blood flowing and the muscles limber.
    Box squats were recommended to me when I was having knee pain in my squats, it was very beneficial to reduce the stress I was putting on my knees and to really concentrate and be aware of my form through the movement.

Not true, I’ve certainly dropped some serious bombs that have cleared sections.

I was crop dusted while setting up for a deadlift on the platform. Definitely had to walk away for a couple minutes

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I bought new sneakers (cross trainers) for the first time in a couple years tonight. Specifically for working out. I start next week. Gives me time over the next few days to quit soda, say goodbye to breakfast sandwiches from Honey Dew, and to re-read The New Rules of Lifting.

Can't wait to see how well this works. Break-in was doing wonders for me last time.

edited January 2018
    I've hit a mental wall with squats for some reason.

I was slowly working my way up and then I just stalled out at 275. That's nothing. I should be repping 315 at least. Some days I can do 5 to 6 reps, or somedays, like today, I can't get more than 3 without worrying I won't come back up. It's kind of infuriating.

Edit: now that I think about it, I've been trying to hit a 5 to 600 calorie deficit the last week or so to try and cut which may explain why I'm not putting up bigger numbers. Especially on my weaker exercises. I'm just fucking always hangry.

Juggernut on
    Fawst wrote: »
    I bought new sneakers (cross trainers) for the first time in a couple years tonight. Specifically for working out. I start next week. Gives me time over the next few days to quit soda, say goodbye to breakfast sandwiches from Honey Dew, and to re-read The New Rules of Lifting.

Can't wait to see how well this works. Break-in was doing wonders for me last time.

So for lifting heavy you actually want to greatly reduce the bounce and cushion you get from your footware. I actually do most of my lifting barefoot. Cross trainers are great for cardio work or if you are doing a lot of fast moving high reps low weight circuit work but as far as I've learned they have too much cushion for heavy lifting. I could be wrong on this front, and everyone's just been messing with me, but most of the heavy lifters at my gym are in like chucks, or shoes just barely above sandals, if not also barefoot.

I second the barefoot thing. I noticed a huge difference in my comfort when doing squats barefoot versus with trainers. Deadlifts too.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I have the Adidas weightlifting shows (Adipower I think) with a hard sole and a raised heel. The raised heel is similar to putting a board under your heels -- early on, it helped me break parallel on squats despite poor hamstring/achilles flexibility. I've been working on that, but they're still saving me on bad days

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Third for bare footing it. Squats, dls, cleans, all done barefoot. It just feels more stable and sturdy. My prior ankle injury doesn’t help, but I can’t imagine trying to squat heavy and not having something solid under your feet. A lot of dudes I know just wear a pair of cons, or those monkey-toe shoes too. Seems like any running with a very low drop should be good if you’re worried about slick floors.

Though, I’ve always wanted to pick up a pair of squat shoes, I think I’ll save that for a good high number.

Anyone got a belt brand recommendation? It’s about reset time, now would be the perfect time to start adding one in and getting used to it. Just not trying to break the bank but also not trying to buy a new one every 3 months

P.S.

Tube, you’re a son of a bitch for suggesting front squats but I appreciate it.

David Walgas on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Leather belt? I've got an Inzer Forever single prong and it's just great.

I have the rouge single prong which is great and needed no break-in time.

In a commercial gym I would never do anything barefoot, both out of respect for other gym goers and the risk of someone dropping a plate on your foot.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
This discussion has been closed.