As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Division Of Labor

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Division Of Labor

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• ViRGEViRGE Registered User regular
    Can you actually mutiny in Sea of Thieves? That sounds kind of fun...

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I learned everything I need to know about boats from Captain Ron. Also the important distinction between gorilla and guerrilla.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    All up in that sloop.

• ProwlingmonkeyProwlingmonkey Registered User regular
    Couldn't help but read Gabe's dialog in a pirate voice.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Pirate Captain Gabe is fantastic.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    now get to work starboarding

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Reminds me so much of the demands in Guns of Icarus.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    this comic makes me really miss puzzle pirates. Taking a sloop out to hunt ships from a flag that we'd war dec'ed, but having to crew it with only 2 people because any more would raise our boats might rating too high to attack any of their sloops even if they had a full crew of 7. So each person was frantically bouncing between 2 puzzles.

steam_sig.png
  • sparkskysparksky Registered User regular
    Honestly, they had me at "that's a boat word, you stupid piece of shit."

"When I was in school, they told me practice makes perfect. Then they told me nobody's perfect. So I stopped practicing." --Steven Wright
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It's extra great, because you know that Tycho knows that word. But Gabe doesn't give him a chance to demonstrate that knowledge.

• CallofBootyCallofBooty Registered User regular
    For a second there, I thought they finally discovered Blackwake. I've been addicted to that game since last March. Discovered how awesome it feels to be a cog in a well oiled death machine and alternately how hilarious it is to be in a sinking ship of fools while everything is on fire.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I, for one, am very glad I have friends who will shoot and drive in Guns of Icarus. I would much rather run around frantically than try piloting those things. Not to mention the responsibility. That's why I always preferred healing to tanking.

Don't you have more responsibility as a healer?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    This is why I play Junkrat in Overwatch comps, less responsibility.

I played WoW a loooooong time ago, because my brother talked me into it. I was a Paladin, I think. I was a human warrior, but I had some healing skills. Anyway, we were playing and had a shitty group with no healer. My brother said I had to be the healer then, and it was very stressful... I didn't do a good job, and got yelled at a lot.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    sparksky wrote: »
    Honestly, they had me at "that's a boat word, you stupid piece of shit."

Me too, the casual, completely unwarranted hostility is just...just spot on

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »

In my WoW experience, healing was frantic but straightforward, like Whack a Mole. Tanking involved more premeditated strategy and tanks were expected to set the pace and make the decisions. So while anyone might get blamed for failure, as a tank your decisions really did have the potential to cause a wipe.

Of course, this is coming from regular 5 man dungeons in the Wrath era...when fights were pretty simple and you weren't also playing DDR at the same time. And healers were scarce enough that just playing one earned you quite a bit of good will.

So tanking actually felt a bit like steering while healing felt like playing an engineer.

RatherDashing89 on
    edited January 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »

In my WoW experience, healing was frantic but straightforward, like Whack a Mole. Tanking involved more premeditated strategy and tanks were expected to set the pace and make the decisions. So while anyone might get blamed for failure, as a tank your decisions really did have the potential to cause a wipe.

Of course, this is coming from regular 5 man dungeons in the Wrath era...when fights were pretty simple and you weren't also playing DDR at the same time. And healers were scarce enough that just playing one earned you quite a bit of good will.

So tanking actually felt a bit like steering while healing felt like playing an engineer.

Yeah, and dps tend to have to deal with mechanics more often. Some mechanics never even target healers. And DPS have to deal with burning down targets and interrupts and stuff too.

Healer responsibilities are often just don't stand in bad things, and keep the green bars full.

Source: holy paladin since burning crusade.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    news post wrote:
    The fantasy more or less is to sail a ship like in Black Flag, except the people running around out there on the deck are, for lack of a better term, people. Or, and I would also accept this, an action/arcade manifestation of Puzzle Pirates. Good God, that game was ahead of its time.

Okay you have my attention.

steam_sig.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I cannot wait to see them play this together.

Shenanigans will ensue.

Entertainment will be had.

• ShamgarShamgar Registered User new member
    I've not seen one of these "Friday hang times" before -- is that on the PA Twitch stream?

• Does Not EqualDoes Not Equal Registered User new member
    Maybe the second or third time I've seen the strip with a mistake in the text.

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I watched a little bit of the game on Twitch.tv
    The game is very enchanting, but lacks content currently

You really need to bring an already strong group into the game to get "the experience"

MaximumSquid on
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Shamgar wrote: »
    I've not seen one of these "Friday hang times" before -- is that on the PA Twitch stream?

Yes.

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Gabe is a harsh but (un)fair leader lol

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    the typo in the strip is bugging the crap out of me. They forgot a word!

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    this comic makes me really miss puzzle pirates.

Same. :(

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Oh god I miss Puzzle Pirates.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    As someone that has worked on many boats, both the words and the division of labor check out.

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    How many boat terms does Gabe know? aside the two he used.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    “Rigging, bailing, patching, navigating, cannons, and crows nesting.”

“You stupid piece of shit” is also definitely a boat term.

• BaconGreaseBaconGrease Registered User regular
    That bandanna! (countdown to store availability)

ZsbflUq.png