As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] [new Ahri skin to fund the year] / [cervitaur dating sim activated]

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It feels weird that they re-worked his kit and it's mostly just another control mage with an ult that heals him a bunch?

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm surprised I didn't hear about the targeted spells change when it was on PBE. Seems like it will really mix things up; I don't play many champs with it but when I was trying Akali being able to freely chuck Qs at early levels seemed pretty important.
    Aftershock
    Base damage decreased. Damage health scaling decreased but now scales with bonus attack damage and ability power. Flat resistances increased but no longer amplifies resistances by a percentage.

Aftershock's base damage is a bit too high, and it's letting champions like Alistar or Leona run wild in early duels against marksmen. Having one mastery be so good for both durability and damage is warping interactions between tanks and squishier champions, so we're shifting the item profile to be less about damage and more about durability. While we're at it, we're shifting the resistances gain from percent to flat so that divers can get in on the fun, too.
    DAMAGE 40-140 (at level 1-18) ⇒ 10-120 (at level 1-18)
    HEALTH SCALING DAMAGE 3.5% maximum health ⇒ 3% maximum health
    NEW DAMAGE AD RATIO 0.15 bonus attack damage
    NEW ABILITY POWER RATIO 0.1 ability power
    FLAT RESISTANCES 20 ⇒ 70-120 (at level 1-18)
    REMOVED PERCENT RESISTANCES AMP No longer increases resistances by 30%
    I had to log in to PBE to see this wasn't a typo. Leona at level 1 gets 122 armor (55% damage reduction). 70+ armor on supports during aftershock in early lane seems freaking bonkers to me, is it not?
    It has me thinking dirty thoughts about how good Vi was when CoC was busted...

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »
    HotSwain is not something I really needed in my life.

Turns out I absolutely needed it though! I already thought Swain had a really attractive concept so I dig that he's hot now.

Curious to see if he's still limping? Where's his cane? I thought his gait was interesting and unique, and it was kinda cool conceptually to have this partially immobilized guy on a chaotic battlefield that emphasizes athleticism.

Unclear why his new kit is somehow better than his old one and why it needed a rework, but I'll give it a try for sure.

Damn, I feel like I dusted the pirate skin instead of cashing it in...so many regrets...hopefully that's not the case and I did decide to enable it...

His old play style was very stat based. He ults and walks into a team fight, if he has high enough stats, he rolls everyone over, if he doesn't, he dies. That's it.

They really hate stat ball in the face champions or non interactive champions.

I think you'll see Udyr'll be adjusted for the same reason eventually too.

Placed into G3 this season. I don't really have the motivation to get that back to where it needs to be. We'll see if I play much this season or not. Kinda wanna do other stuff.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    "We made Swain hot" is the funniest possible result of the rework to me

liEt3nH.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular

Swain is hot, Varus is hotter, Riot's endgame is clearly defined and it is delicious

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey a thing.

nya5ajk6uwy3.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the year is 2024 and only one man is still ugly

his name is singed, and he cannot be caught

liEt3nH.png
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

The thing is
    Literally none of the male champions are hot to me (Lucian, Yasuo, and Kayn come closest but none quite make it. If they were visually objectified and voiced similarly to the female characters they'd probably cross that line)
    This new Swain is the first one they've made that I think is hot
    I am super hype
    I did have the pirate skin sitting in my inventory so I'm gonna be shirtless hot Swain forever

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
    In retrospect, I should probably feel a little bad about this...

https://youtu.be/MEIfG0vGPpo

...but, naaaaaaaaaaaah, that Draven was being kind of a garbage person. And every time lately when I actually pull my punches so others can get kills, they always mess it up and let them get away or they die instead.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    As a Swain Main last season, I only have one question.

Where. The FUCK. Is Beatrice?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

The thing is
    Literally none of the male champions are hot to me (Lucian, Yasuo, and Kayn come closest but none quite make it. If they were visually objectified and voiced similarly to the female characters they'd probably cross that line)
    This new Swain is the first one they've made that I think is hot
    I am super hype
    I did have the pirate skin sitting in my inventory so I'm gonna be shirtless hot Swain forever

I'm just glad that my body type is represented in this game

by Urgot.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited January 2018
    Huh, so the support item changes coming in 8.2 are interesting. Specifically Sightstone getting removed. The quest on the items now upgrades the item into having the active that drops wards, and the quest completes faster at only requiring 500 gold generated instead of 750.

I definitely like the idea of not having to spend a massive chunk of gold early game just on Sightstone anymore, helps get to the more interesting items faster now.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • JookieJookie Registered User regular
    I don't like the change since I've lately just don't full AP Janna whenever I supported and just never built Sightstone anyways lol

butts
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »
    I don't like the change since I've lately just don't full AP Janna whenever I supported and just never built Sightstone anyways lol

I have had the best success, as an ADC main, getting autofilled to support and just played AP Carry Xerath from the bot lane. I had essentially a support MF in one game where she went 0-1-18, but all of my kills in lane involved near max range ult finishers, so I didn't feel too badly.

Xerath support is super mean, though. The only champ that seems able to stop it is Nami, as her sustain is enough to keep her ADC high enough in health that when the jungler inevitably comes, they can still do things. Against any other pairing, when the jungler ganks my lane, I just kill the enemy bot laners because they're low and forget that Xerath does not give a single solitary F about range.

I'm glad to see relic stone ADC meta go away though. It's made bot lane either a super boring farm fest, or if you get a little behind, into a basically unwinnable stomp fest. I've actually had a good amount of success playing Twitch, because if you end up behind, you can always roam and make plays elsewhere in the game.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Huh, so the support item changes coming in 8.2 are interesting. Specifically Sightstone getting removed. The quest on the items now upgrades the item into having the active that drops wards, and the quest completes faster at only requiring 500 gold generated instead of 750.

I definitely like the idea of not having to spend a massive chunk of gold early game just on Sightstone anymore, helps get to the more interesting items faster now.

The minion agro changes have me a little bit worried.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    PMAvers wrote: »

This is so interesting! I'm really excited. And you can still buy a ruby crystal and dump some money into durability to get the Remnant of the Watchers or whatever...although let's be real, it just means that I'm going to rush my AP items faster and be squishier. Living on the edge!

As an adc main who is trained by nature to autoattack harass and never takes advantage of minion aggro-free targeted spells, I am all about the changes. Looking forward to see how it changes laning against some champs!

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    As a Swain Main last season, I only have one question.

Where. The FUCK. Is Beatrice?

He has a joke line about Beatrice, implying she's just one hellcrow among many.

RIP in peace, Beatrice.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    As someone who often play bot lane tank supports, thank you Riot. I now get to build something slightly more interesting then a sight stone

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    7-3 into Silver V. Was hoping to at least place a bit higher but I guess Riot just loves pushing the climb on people.

On the plus side I'm very confident Xayah + Ashe/Lux as fallbacks for off role/Xayah bans can probably climb me pretty fast.

Super dispiriting game. They picked Trist and my wife wanted to play Sona anyway so I took MF thinking we could probably poke out their Trist/Zil lane. Finally did it right. We first blooded their ADC at 3:30 and stomped the lane, 76 cs to 48 at 10 minutes and she was so behind she'd bought cull and was slow building Shiv with no AD. Coming into mid game we'd died to a mid Kennen roam but our Rengar had cleaned up after it and was 5/1, enemy bot lane was 2/6. We're ahead, mid is slightly ahead, top is even. Awesome.

Then in the span of about 5 minutes it all goes to hell.
    long:
    Our top laner kills theirs and is now even in lane. His wave is just hitting her turret. He has 40% hp and no mana with TP down but instead of recalling tries to greed for another wave. Illaoi TPs back, he runs all the way back to his tower before finally recalling, and she uses the big wave to take his 90% hp tower for tower FB before he can walk back.

About 2 minutes later I'm returning to tower as Zil & Trist are pushing the wave to me and our good wards spot Skarner at our blue (we're red side) and Kennen coming down the river. I'm trying to last hit under tower with Zilean throwing bombs while watching the map and deciding whether to retreat. Seems wise but Rengar and Ahri are collapsing from mid lane and pinging omw.
    image:
    7Q8qxWs.jpg
    Kennen kills our pink and backs off. With teammates on the way and Youmuu's and Flash I think I can stay, so I ward tri, stay on backside of turret, and get ready to run/fight. We see Skarner in the river now and Ahri & Rengar... sit in the bush above pixel bush. And they sit there. And we see Kennen coming back toward tri for the 4 man dive... and they sit there.
    image:
    uveNBhn.jpg
    I realized I was boned before Kennen got to me and tried to boogie but didn't have a chance with the Zilean speed. Ahri & Rengar just sat there for a full 15 seconds. I guess they thought the team with a clear plan with a high chance of success would randomly give up on it and someone would walk past them alone?!?

Of course, because the cake needs icing, after the 4 man picks me Rengar straggles in and tries to blow up Kennen, gets CCed and fails and dies, Sona trying to save him dies too, and now Tristana has 3 kills and we've lost two towers. From there our stupid early game/pick comp somehow fails to be able to hold off the Illaoi/Skarner/Kennen/Tristana/Zilean, no surprise.

I know I made mistakes that contributed to the loss (dying to Kennen gank, staying at that tower, maybe even picking MF that game instead of a scaling ad) but I still want to throw MF off a cliff and never pick her again. :[
    not long: dumb things mid game flip flopped the lead and our awful team comp (Rengar and Ahri into a Zilean, nevermind the Illaoi/Skarner/Kennen/Trist scaling vs MF/Sona) got crushed as if we'd never done well to begin with. Super painful to watch them come back and scale and feel powerless as they were playing their comp well and not making dumb mistakes.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    the year is 2024 and only one man is still ugly

his name is singed, and he cannot be caught

fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

oh no

RUUUNNN!

I've been trying to play Diana and Kassadin because I've always found assassin play too intimidating, but I'm feeling braver now! (And watching scarra stream a bunch of mid Diana).

Do you guys have any overall macro tips about either of these champions (playing in low gold, if that makes a difference)? Not looking for micro or even for laning advice; I think I basically understand that/am learning through practice and by watching streams. Just general game stuff like, what sort of teamcomp is best for either Diana or Kassadin to play with or against (like maybe don't play them when your top lane is also flank/dive? Or maybe do play them then?) What is the relationship of these champions to split-pushing? Do you always have to look for a flank in a teamfight (maybe yes with Kassadin and no with Diana...?) Do you definitely prefer skirmishes to teamfights? If you can blow up their adc and die, do you basically feel satisfied or should you aim for more than that? Is there ever a situation where in a teamfight you fight a bruiser or tank and/or stay by your backline instead of gunning for their backline?

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I finished my placements and wound up one division above my finish from last season. What in tarnation?

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    Marth wrote: »
    I finished my placements and wound up one division above my finish from last season. What in tarnation?
    Looking at your history you were a gat dang monster in S7 (over 60% win rate on your top 3 played), and went 8-2 in your placements! You're headed to Gold and the game knows it, nice work.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm still in the scrublands, where some of these games are just unwinable.

But hey, I got up to my first series finally, breaking my Taric onetrick for an Alistar game. Yep, still love the cow. I especially love the cow when I have to protect against a Leona, an Eve, and an Akali on the enemy team.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Today I played one game as Leona where we stomped and then I quit while I was ahead. Small victories.

That was going to be my first attempt at playing Zyra but our team was tankless so I swapped. Maybe tomorrow. She seems to have changed a bunch in small-but-significant ways from what I remembered. I guess the goal was making seeds easier to spawn but harder to stack? Probably to my benefit since I remember it being pretty finicky back in the day.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Whoa. I think I also suddenly learned how to play Veigar by watching scarra? I hate Veigar's voice so I've played him I think maybe 2-3 times ever, in co-op vs AI over the years.

https://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2703382260/231371969?tab=overview

I saw on champion.gg that he was an Azir counterpick so I decided to try him in my smurf placements

...wowowow I might actually be decent at Veigar. Really can't stand the voice though still...hmmmm...

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    We've got Skarner and Veigar picks in the EULCS, Giants/G2.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular

I hate this meta because games last an infinite eternity now. But I love this meta because hello all these new picks.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    Penumbra wrote: »

I hate this meta because games last an infinite eternity now. But I love this meta because hello all these new picks.

Yeah, I told my husband that we seriously cannot watch these games in real time because we need to be able to skip through to the interesting bits. He disagrees so I might have to do embroidery or something else while watching so it's not so interminably boring...

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Ranked, designated support asks to adc. I let him and go Janna.

The Draven completely and utterly smashes the enemy team.

It's me. I'm the good support I wished for.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Whoa. I think I also suddenly learned how to play Veigar by watching scarra? I hate Veigar's voice so I've played him I think maybe 2-3 times ever, in co-op vs AI over the years.

https://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2703382260/231371969?tab=overview

I saw on champion.gg that he was an Azir counterpick so I decided to try him in my smurf placements

...wowowow I might actually be decent at Veigar. Really can't stand the voice though still...hmmmm...

I also cannot stand Veigar's voice. But I also hate his stupid hopping walk. Be tiny, but literally no creature moves by bouncing from one foot to the other side to side

To move forward

Maybe I just need the Final Boss Veigar skin so that it has pretty particles while I'm ignoring the stupid voice

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I also cannot stand Veigar's voice. But I also hate his stupid hopping walk. Be tiny, but literally no creature moves by bouncing from one foot to the other side to side

To move forward

Maybe I just need the Final Boss Veigar skin so that it has pretty particles while I'm ignoring the stupid voice

Don't you think that some sort of small and dumb bird might walk like that?
    The walk is actually pretty funny; I don't mind. The base skin design has an ok concept, but feels pretty old/blocky, and is just not what I want to play as (I prefer to play champions that are some sort of power fantasy and/or that I find attractive). In general, I am not sure who thought players would respond well to a small knockoff Black Mage who shrilly yells about being short and undervalued the whole time and has nothing else going on with his persona. I really like Final Fatasy black mages, but Veigar is just *so* offputting...

But man, if I can feel that strong on this champion after playing him never and not really knowing what I'm doing, I am suddenly having the feeling that I could climb much more easily...we'll see though; n=1 doesn't mean anything.

I really do think that watching scarra somehow beamed knowledge of Veigar gameplay into my brain--I know watching streams is no match for actually practicing, but I do think you gain something from them. Similar to how after never playing Jayce but watching a great deal of RF/antihero I suddenly found myself quite comfortable with his laning patterns and overall gameplay.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular

To move forward

Don't you think that some sort of small and dumb bird might walk like that?
    The walk is actually pretty funny; I don't mind. The base skin design has an ok concept, but feels pretty old/blocky, and is just not what I want to play as (I prefer to play champions that are some sort of power fantasy and/or that I find attractive). In general, I am not sure who thought players would respond well to a small knockoff Black Mage who shrilly yells about being short and undervalued the whole time and has nothing else going on with his persona. I really like Final Fatasy black mages, but Veigar is just *so* offputting...

But man, if I can feel that strong on this champion after playing him never and not really knowing what I'm doing, I am suddenly having the feeling that I could climb much more easily...we'll see though; n=1 doesn't mean anything.

I really do think that watching scarra somehow beamed knowledge of Veigar gameplay into my brain--I know watching streams is no match for actually practicing, but I do think you gain something from them. Similar to how after never playing Jayce but watching a great deal of RF/antihero I suddenly found myself quite comfortable with his laning patterns and overall gameplay.

My brother has so many Veigar games I worry for his sanity. So that's one kind of person he appeals to. Though his concept as I've always seen it is as a parody of the kind of big bad mages you find in stuff like Conan.

Haha you guys are nuts! I love that little dude, his voice cracks me up. I'd say he's in our top 10 favorite champs for me and the 3 people I introduced to League (not necessarily to play, but as in dear to our hearts). From my perspective League doesn't really have lore, so a little knockoff Black Mage cracking jokes about his insecurities in a funny voice is all I'm asking for. I literally laugh out loud every time I hear him say "Is dat a short joke?" Then again we also delight in things like Garen's yelling and Kog'maw noises - for example my brother only ever got to like level 23 and plays about twice a year now, but his ring tone for my sister is still Kog's "dun dun dun dun dun dun duuuuunnn") - so maybe we're just easily amused :p

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Haha you guys are nuts! I love that little dude, his voice cracks me up. I'd say he's in our top 10 favorite champs for me and the 3 people I introduced to League (not necessarily to play, but as in dear to our hearts). From my perspective League doesn't really have lore, so a little knockoff Black Mage cracking jokes about his insecurities in a funny voice is all I'm asking for. I literally laugh out loud every time I hear him say "Is dat a short joke?" Then again we also delight in things like Garen's yelling and Kog'maw noises - for example my brother only ever got to like level 23 and plays about twice a year now, but his ring tone for my sister is still Kog's "dun dun dun dun dun dun duuuuunnn") - so maybe we're just easily amused :p

This is me as well. He was the first champion I was drawn to when I started playing and despite being over six feet tall I have wanted to cosplay as him at a pax. He’s up there with Ziggs and Kindred as my favorite all around champions.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    Red Raevyn wrote: »

haha, ok, actually I'm kind of delighted that people really like Veigar; I guess the whole thing with having 150 champions or so is that there are ones out there for everyone!

Kog'maw noises also completely horrify me and make me feel slightly ill, so I can never be the hypercarry I was meant to be because I won't play him (and I don't like Pugmaw. I do think base Kog'maw and most of his other skins are very cute though, as is his little song/tune)

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Is there a mechanical upside to leaving character voices on that I don't know about, or are y'all just not suffering from Marvel Heroes PTSD so you don't immediately turn of voices in every game now like I do?

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Swain Redesign Insights:

https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2018/01/champ-insights-swain/

tl;dr: The most important parts of Swain's identity to the gameplay developers were that he was a frontline mage with a snare and self-healing.
    Notably, they weren't particularly concerned about the 'bird' aspects of his character.

Everyone on the development team had a different idea of what made defined Swain's character, so they really tried to solidify his identity as a soldier and the leader of Noxus.

In my personal opinion, they got it backwards. I cared way more that Swain was a weird raven-sorcerer than that he lead Noxus. They acknowledge in the article that one of the compelling things about Swain was that he was disabled, but still incredibly dangerous in a fight. They thought giving him a demon arm was paying respect to that idea.

All in all, I can't complain too much. He looks fun and I'm sure I'll play him still. Ultimately though, I'd rather that he weren't the leader of Noxus and still be a weird old dude with a cane and a bird than the other way around.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • JookieJookie Registered User regular
    No Beatrice no longer Swain.

butts