As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Say, do resources respawn, or will I need to periodically recycle small outposts to build new ones? I'm kind of prone to building a network of safehouses when allowed.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Oh boy.

That's going to make going out in it stressful

In the update that made the Cyclops vulnerable, they added a bunch of notes pertaining to aggressive critter behavior. As it is a water planet, most hostile critters will hunt you if they hear you...so (like in PUBG and Escape from Tarkov) minimizing your sound profile while around baddies is of paramount concern. I spend most of my time in the Cyclops running at slow speed unless there's absolutely nothing around me...if baddies are around, I'll go to flank to put some distance between me and the baddies, and then flip down to slow and hit silent running. So far, it's worked pretty well even when surrounded by about a dozen or so bonesharks.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Oh My. I started playing on my TV via Steam Link and using a controller. I was getting by but wondering how on earth you were supposed to get food. Turns out when you go back to the computer and use keyboard and mouse you actually have enough dexterity to catch fish! This is much more enjoyable now.

Once you get the propulsion canon, you can grab them from a fair distance, then just pick them up out of the tether. Should be much easier on controller.
    Oh boy.

In the Ghost update they made more changes to the Cyclops.
    CYCLOPS 4.0
    Built in lockers increased from 3x4 to 3x6.
    Bonehsarks, River Prowlers, and Lava Lizards will no longer attack and damage the Cyclops.
    Upgrade console increased from 4 to 6 slots.
    Thermal Charger upgrade increased in efficiency.
    Shields no longer have a time limit and now just toggleable on and off with a constant power drain tradeoff.
    Silent Running ability no longer has a time limit and cooldown. Now toggleable now with a constant power drain tradeoff.

Decoys changed from 3x3s to 2x2s. Copper wire ingredient requirement has also been removed.
    Light has been range increased and they no longer affect creature aggression.
    Lava Larva show up on Cyclops holographic damage display.

Basically, only the big stuff should be a threat to the Cyclops now, at which point you go into silent running or turn on the shields.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Oh My. I started playing on my TV via Steam Link and using a controller. I was getting by but wondering how on earth you were supposed to get food. Turns out when you go back to the computer and use keyboard and mouse you actually have enough dexterity to catch fish! This is much more enjoyable now.

Once you get the propulsion canon, you can grab them from a fair distance, then just pick them up out of the tether. Should be much easier on controller.
    Oh boy.

CYCLOPS 4.0
    Bonehsarks, River Prowlers, and Lava Lizards will no longer attack and damage the Cyclops.
    Shields no longer have a time limit and now just toggleable on and off with a constant power drain tradeoff.
    Silent Running ability no longer has a time limit and cooldown. Now toggleable now with a constant power drain tradeoff.

Decoys changed from 3x3s to 2x2s. Copper wire ingredient requirement has also been removed.

Basically, only the big stuff should be a threat to the Cyclops now, at which point you go into silent running or turn on the shields.

That's interesting. Bonesharks still aggro and attack my Cyclops...but I guess they won't do damage.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Oh boy.

CYCLOPS 4.0

That's interesting. Bonesharks still aggro and attack my Cyclops...but I guess they won't do damage.

They aren't supposed to, at the very least.

Oh boy.

CYCLOPS 4.0

They aren't supposed to, at the very least.

Well, they still flip from yellow to red on my hazard radar if I make a little too much noise.

edited January 2018
    I've started finding Time Capsules left by other players.

First one had some food.

Second one had a Thermal Knife, a piece of Kyanite, two Seamoth Upgrades, an Ion Battery and an Ion Power Cell.

... Thanks random stranger.

MuddBudd on
    edited January 2018
    Small advace base on the far side of a kelp forest built. From there I've been exploring the red grass plains a little - and man was it productive! I got full plans for the Seamoth and Bioreactor, and started the blueprints for the Scanner Room. Also a pile of titanium, and a desk. MAde myself a seamoth, so now I have a vehicle for the first time! I'm going to need to learn how to recharge it.

I presume I need to unlock some room to build the bioreactor though, because this thing is huge. Running low on lead, which I have no idea where I got - I assume in my spelunking expeditions, but fucked if I remember where.

Drascin on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Finding bulkhead schematics has really opened up my base design options.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I'm close to buying this game but I was wondering can you build bases anywhere or are there like set points? And do you just sort of purchase upgrades or can you build your base layout how you want?

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Prohass wrote: »
    I'm close to buying this game but I was wondering can you build bases anywhere or are there like set points? And do you just sort of purchase upgrades or can you build your base layout how you want?

You can build anywhere but your base design options are initially pretty limited. As you research more options you can build additional things.

There are some limits to how you can build but it's still pretty free form.
    One of us, one of us!

Karoz on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    At least in survival mode, the only thing keeping me from making Atlantis is the scarcity of certain bottleneck materials.

Edit:
    That and the fucking sea monsters

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    There are actually a few different playmodes. If all you want to do is build cool underwater bases (which you can build anywhere - there are no set base points) you can play in Creative mode:
    Story, health, oxygen, hunger, and thirst are disabled, materials and Blueprints are not required for crafting, and vehicles and Seabases do not require Energy to operate and cannot be damaged. This is a sandbox mode for players who want to freely explore and build.

There's also Freedom, Survival and Hardcore modes.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    The Cyclops has a ton of health in my experience. You can always hit full speed and get away if something starts attacking you.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I'm approaching the end game now and really beginning to wish they had added a map you could craft around the time you need to start going really deep. Nothing fancy, just something that displays where my beacons are. Even only having it on board the Cyclops would help a lot.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Last time I played this like a bunch of updates ago the gigantic horrific sea monsters would eventually spawn constantly in the shallows and not have the room to swim so they'd pop out of the water a lot and just wiggle.

I'm hoping that's not the case now!

Also dang is this a neat game. I'm hoping they expand it even more, and maybe make like completely mapping the area an explicit goal? I like spleunking and I'd like to eventually have a big 3D map of everything.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    Drascin wrote: »
    Small advace base on the far side of a kelp forest built. From there I've been exploring the red grass plains a little - and man was it productive! I got full plans for the Seamoth and Bioreactor, and started the blueprints for the Scanner Room. Also a pile of titanium, and a desk. MAde myself a seamoth, so now I have a vehicle for the first time! I'm going to need to learn how to recharge it.

I presume I need to unlock some room to build the bioreactor though, because this thing is huge. Running low on lead, which I have no idea where I got - I assume in my spelunking expeditions, but fucked if I remember where.

Lead would be Sandstone deposits, I believe.

My current bottleneck is Magnetite, which, I found some of it at the base of the mountain, but its right in Reaper turf so its very risky. Managed to get enough for some upgrades and a Stasis rifle and some other stuff tho. Even got a PRAWN built!

I think I've explored most of the upper biomes now, except the Grand Reef. Need to start going deeper soon.

Progress continues apace. I still haven't managed to get schematics for multipurpose rooms, but I did get a Scanner room, and eventually rechargers for both batteries and power cells, which is just the best thing! I managed to find a couple rubies from a huge cliff that my Seamoth can't go down to, to make them, too.

I have a pile of blueprint fragments for the Cyclops (even completed Bridge), too, and a thermal energy module thingy for it that requires materials I have never even seen.

Also, some plot happened.
    Poor Sunbeam guys. They just wanted to help. Freaking aliens.

That said, does advancing the plot make more predators appear? Because I'm getting some triangle-headed asshole sharks near the surface near-everywhere now.

The island caves are amazing though. I came in to check, and came out with a huge pile of lithium for future reinforcements, and like six diamonds. I need to go back soon.

Progress continues apace. I still haven't managed to get schematics for multipurpose rooms, but I did get a Scanner room, and eventually rechargers for both batteries and power cells, which is just the best thing! I managed to find a couple rubies from a huge cliff that my Seamoth can't go down to, to make them, too.

I have a pile of blueprint fragments for the Cyclops (even completed Bridge), too, and a thermal energy module thingy for it that requires materials I have never even seen.

That said, does advancing the plot make more predators appear? Because I'm getting some triangle-headed asshole sharks near the surface near-everywhere now.

The island caves are amazing though. I came in to check, and came out with a huge pile of lithium for future reinforcements, and like six diamonds. I need to go back soon.

Specifics about Multipurpose room scanning:
    They only exist in one place.
    It's the floating island south-ish of the Aurora
    If you have access to the Mountain with the big gun, you can also teleport to the floating island from there.

If you have access to the Mountain with the big gun, you can also teleport to the floating island from there.

Checked first two spoilers.
    I actually haven't gone in the Aurora's direction almost at all, so I guess that's a project. Floating island, though? What the heck?

I also need to explore the alien installation where the Sunbeam was going to land, at some point. Dang, too many places to go.

edited January 2018

I actually haven't gone in the Aurora's direction almost at all, so I guess that's a project. Floating island, though? What the heck?

I also need to explore the alien installation where the Sunbeam was going to land, at some point. Dang, too many places to go.
    I would focus on exploring the facility, and the island it is attached to. There are things you want to find there.

Bring Beacons

MuddBudd on

I would focus on exploring the facility, and the island it is attached to. There are things you want to find there.

Bring Beacons
    I did explore a tiny bit the caves while I was waiting for the Sunbeam to explode. I found what looked like a Stargate, but it required an "Ion Cube", which I don't have,
    so that's something. I killed some not-a-headcrabs and kicked a few rocks. But going down looked like it went into a hell of a labyrinth, so I didn't dare go in there with the countdown going.

Making a pathfinder and some beacons does seem like a good plan in general, I think.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Are time capsules dropped by other players? I got one with a bunch of tools I was trying to work on crafting and just ditched them all because it felt like cheating.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Are time capsules dropped by other players? I got one with a bunch of tools I was trying to work on crafting and just ditched them all because it felt like cheating.

I hadn't heard of these so I googled it
    Time Capsules are in development items. They can be found in random locations by other players that have beaten the game.[1]
    That's pretty neat but could potentially feel cheaty for sure I bet.

SniperGuy wrote: »

I hadn't heard of these so I googled it
    Time Capsules are in development items. They can be found in random locations by other players that have beaten the game.[1]
    That's pretty neat but could potentially feel cheaty for sure I bet.

Reading further, the Time Capsules are submitted to the dev team, who post the contents and the message to their forums to be vetted for inclusion in the game for others to find.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Yes, when you beat the game you get the option of putting the following in a time capsule:
    About 2x6 worth of pretty much anything you can have in your inventory, a screenshot, a title, and a note.

I put the following in mine:
    After debating going back for Sea Treader poop, and having run out of Cuddlefish eggs, I put in the insta-cook knife, purified water, and four marblemelon seeds.
    My title was "Beware the Cuddle Leviathan!" (because I so want to make that a thing), my screenshot was of my bright pink Cyclops in front of the Aurora, and the note was "Using these items legally obligates you to paint your Cyclops bright pink. Good luck!"

Lawndart on
    Oh, then the game crashed and I lost today’s progress so there’s that one solved...

Manual saving!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    I'm going to places that're exceeding 200m in depth and I'm already freaking out over the looming void from which a gigantic monster could emerge from practically on top of me. Also I've been naming every distinct area I've been to. I'm sure there's a proper name for them but here's what I'm calling them: the Shallows, Kelpland, Red Fields...
    the Undersea Ball Pit, Bare Rocks and Horror Trench.

I'm going to places that're exceeding 200m in depth and I'm already freaking out over the looming void from which a gigantic monster could emerge from practically on top of me. Also I've been naming every distinct area I've been to. I'm sure there's a proper name for them but here's what I'm calling them: the Shallows, Kelpland, Red Fields...

For me, the real horrific area is the barren one. Why does this one horrify me more than the deep dark? I can bring light to dark areas...I can't do anything when the area is bereft of anything other than
    Reapers...all the Reapers

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The first time a Reaper grabbed my Seamoth I had a moment

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I love the video of this happening to @TheKoolEagle

Warning, a little loud with screaming.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/TalentedRichBisonDancingBanana

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I love the video of this happening to @TheKoolEagle

Warning, a little loud with screaming.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/TalentedRichBisonDancingBanana

They still make me uneasy.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

For me, the real horrific area is the barren one. Why does this one horrify me more than the deep dark? I can bring light to dark areas...I can't do anything when the area is bereft of anything other than
    Reapers...all the Reapers

"This ecological biome matches 7 of the 9 preconditions for stimulating terror in humans."

Lawndart on
    I explored a bit.
    Got the Stargate working, and got sent to the opposite side of my base, at an island where apparently there were survivors from a previous crash. I got the blueprints for the Multipurpose room, though! Also for garden patches to grow things, which should be useful to keep my shiny new bioreactor fed. In the alien place I mostly found out that apparently this place is a quarantine planet, and so I'm not leaving until I manage to disinfect myself.

This game makes me so tense though. Intellectually, I know that in a game focused in the ocean there probably won't be anything jumping me on land, especially given all I have is a small knife. Viscerally, the entire place is screaming "AMBUSH!".

Also, going back for my Seamoth was fun. And by fun I mean "boy am I glad I brought a change of batteries for my Seaglide, because the thing is like 3km away".

I'm going through copper like cookie monster through cookies though. I'm gonna need to go scour for more of it.

I explored a bit.
    Got the Stargate working, and got sent to the opposite side of my base, at an island where apparently there were survivors from a previous crash. I got the blueprints for the Multipurpose room, though! Also for garden patches to grow things, which should be useful to keep my shiny new bioreactor fed. In the alien place I mostly found out that apparently this place is a quarantine planet, and so I'm not leaving until I manage to disinfect myself.

This game makes me so tense though. Intellectually, I know that in a game focused in the ocean there probably won't be anything jumping me on land, especially given all I have is a small knife. Viscerally, the entire place is screaming "AMBUSH!".

Also, going back for my Seamoth was fun. And by fun I mean "boy am I glad I brought a change of batteries for my Seaglide, because the thing is like 3km away".

I'm going through copper like cookie monster through cookies though. I'm gonna need to go scour for more of it.

Those gates work both ways by the way.

I explored a bit.

Those indoor planters are crucial to my remote exploration plans:

Step 1) build Cyclops
    Step 2) build indoor planter inside Cyclops
    Step 3) plant bulbo trees in planter
    Step 4) plant marblemelon in planter
    Step 5) never die of hunger or thirst

If the produce isn't enough, I also built a fabricator in the Cyclops for the sole purpose of cooking fish.

Also:
    you could also go back through the stargate and go back to gun island. Those things aren't one-way tunnel rides.

edited January 2018
    I explored a bit.

Those gates work both ways by the way.
    I guessed, but since I was already at sea level, after a quick evaluation I decided that "seaglide 3km in a straight line on the surface " was probably faster than "find way back up to Stargate, go through, find way down from Stargate".

Also, how do you use vertical connectors to do two-floor bases? I place them and a tube room to start floor 2 but then there doesn't seem to be a way to put a ladder or anything.

Drascin on
    edited January 2018
    Also, how do you use vertical connectors to do two-floor bases? I place them and a tube room to start floor 2 but then there doesn't seem to be a way to put a ladder or anything.

There are a couple ways to do it.

You can use a vertical tube between two multipurpose rooms, or you can just stack two multipurpose rooms on top of each other.

Either way, you'll need to build a ladder connecting them. There are square spots on the ceiling where they go. (or build one where the tube connects, if you went that route). Ladders are on a separate tab of the builder

MuddBudd on
    Got me a Seamoth! That'll do for a stopping point for the night. I hope I get some room blueprints soon though. My tube based base doesn't seem to be big enough for quite a few of the bits of furniture I can make.

I'm loving the way everything is so nicely crafted in this gently guide you where you need to be exploring next. This is the game No Man's Sky wished it was.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    And make sure as you build the base bigger, you reinforce the base with bulkheads or else it'll spring leaks.

Oh man did I ever find this out the hard way. I've got a decent little base going now, but when I first tried to set it up I made too many pieces with no reinforcements at all. Since I had no idea where to find lithium at the time, I had to deconstruct most of it and build a bunch of foundations so the thing didn't tear itself apart.