As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Meownster Hunt[chat]

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Chanus I'm fascinated by your journey into the world of Japanese animation

Did you end up watching Devilman Crybaby

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i am watching stand alone complex because i just never did

i finally know what that "i'd pretend to be one of those deaf mutes" thing is about

i feel like becoming a weeb is opening me up to a whole world of internet references i never really got before
    soon:

mrGLHVg.jpg

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    There's a genealogy commercial where an American is super in to German culture. But after he sends in his DNA he learns a bit over half of his his ancestors are from Scotland so he abandons everything German and buys a kilt because he's "Scottish".

He infuriates me.
    I bought that DNA kit thinking about half of my DNA comes from Ireland.
    Turns out it is 57%. So more than half.

Yeah.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    :whistle: a whole new wooooooorld :whistle:

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    There's a genealogy commercial where an American is super in to German culture. But after he sends in his DNA he learns a bit over half of his his ancestors are from Scotland so he abandons everything German and buys a kilt because he's "Scottish".

He infuriates me.

Most of those commercials cheese me off.

I understand people being curious and looking in to where there ancestors come from.

But the whole "This is who I am" after decades of not even knowing and zero exposure to the culture? Pffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Chanus I'm fascinated by your journey into the world of Japanese animation

Did you end up watching Devilman Crybaby

i haven't yet but i probably will soon

i watched a lot of anime and read some manga in like middle school in the early 90s

i just kind of went a different path for a while i guess

like 25 years

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    oh my god

that yoga session was so necessary

it turns out that i have, in fact, a physical body capable of motion, stretching, etc etc

We did bailouts and ladder dives yesterday - both of which involve going head first out of a window and contorting the body in unnatural ways.

Besides being covered in bruises, literally ever major muscle group on me hurts right now.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    what have i done

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

i finally know what that "i'd pretend to be one of those deaf mutes" thing is about

i feel like becoming a weeb is opening me up to a whole world of internet references i never really got before

Uh yeah, it's from Catcher in the Rye.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

yeah but i meant the image

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

He infuriates me.

I understand people being curious and looking in to where there ancestors come from.

But the whole "This is who I am" after decades of not even knowing and zero exposure to the culture? Pffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

I think it says more about peoples desperate lack of identity than anything else. If you have nothing to define yourself as a person, you're going to latch onto any dumb shit you can find.

wandering wrote: »
    what have i done

b-baka . . .

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

The second season is very well done.

Also have you watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood yet?

That's some quality weebing.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee

He infuriates me.

But the whole "This is who I am" after decades of not even knowing and zero exposure to the culture?

i at first read this as a response to me watching anime

RedTide wrote: »

i have not

i am vaguely familiar with there being a thing called full metal alchemist and i wasn't sure if that was a like later series or the original series

i'm a completionist nerd too

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Sure, what next are you going to tell me that they didn't write the monolith music for 2001?

Sadgasm wrote: »

He infuriates me.

I think it says more about peoples desperate lack of identity than anything else. If you have nothing to define yourself as a person, you're going to latch onto any dumb shit you can find.

There's a jillion awesome American subcultures to be a part of! But they're probably more effort to be a part of than hanging up your "family" crest.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i have watched my roommate play monster hunter

this is one of those games i ain't get the appeal of

but i also spent 40 hours on nba 2k17 so the garbage is me, nbd

edited January 2018

i have not

i am vaguely familiar with there being a thing called full metal alchemist and i wasn't sure if that was a like later series or the original series

*pushes up pair of cosmetic glasses*

the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime premiered in 2003 -- of course, this followed the success of the 2001 man-gah, with which it shared many plot similarities until it hit the point past which the then-incomplete man-gah had no more volumes. then they had to get creative!

haha

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood aired years later, in 2009, and

kedinik on
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

He infuriates me.

There's a jillion awesome American subcultures to be a part of! But they're probably more effort to be a part of than hanging up your "family" crest.

There's also the added benefit that it makes people feel "special", like they were chosen for something at birth.

my dad has a scottish family crest for our surname

but his dad was german

grandma was scottish

i have not

If you want to be a completionist, there's two. The first decided to wrap up rather than load up on filler while the manga was only half finished. The second follows the manga faithfully.

This is simply a statement of fact and no words will be spoken about quality or who should marry who.

kedinik wrote: »

i have not

*pushes up pair of cosmetic glasses*

the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime premiered in 2003 -- of course, this followed the success of the 2001 man-gah, with which it shared many plot similarities until it hit the point past which the then-incomplete man-gah had no more volumes. then they had to get creative!

haha

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood aired years later, in 2009, and

these are the kinds of things i need to know

i can't start with the series that aired years later

what have i done
    Select your gun, then select your Chanus

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The first Fullmetal Alchemist series at least had the blessing of not becoming filler hell like many other anime based on manga.

*looks at Naruto*
    *looks at DBZ*

Couscous on
    Coinage wrote: »
    what have i done

I'm torn between being worried for Chanus and excited for the fact that for once it wasn't "select your Quid."

Coinage wrote: »
    what have i done

I'm torn between being worried for Chanus and excited for the fact that for once it wasn't "select your Quid."

select your quid then select your chanus

Couscous wrote: »
    The first Fullmetal Alchemist series at least had the blessing of not becoming filler hell like many other anime based on manga.

*looks at Naruto*
    *looks at DBZ*

I read a review of Devilman Crybaby that praised it for having "the best anime running since Naruto"

which, yeah, I guess that's fair

chanus those fking eyes

I don't even know what Naruto is about. At least Dragonball explains the characters' motivations in the title.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Why is it that I cringe when someone pronounces the first part of "manga" as if it rhymes with "bang" instead of "long", but if someone pronounces it "ah-nime" I think they're a stupid weeaboo tryhard?

mysteries of the mind

vRyue2p.png
    Why is it that I cringe when someone pronounces the first part of "manga" as if it rhymes with "bang" instead of "long", but if someone pronounces it "ah-nime" I think they're a stupid weeaboo tryhard?

mysteries of the mind

maybe you're just some kind of jerk

at least they aren't saying JAPanimation

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Can you make Garfield in Monster Hunter?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    zaFkAFFl.jpg

Okay I am convinced, time to return to being a DM again.

Each session must be played in a diner, drive in or dive as featured om the show.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I had this exact same response when I watched it last year

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

He infuriates me.

Every one of those commercials are like examples of people who I hate who look up their ancestors and are suddenly big into whatever. Like they know their customer base well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    has the show ever actually gone to a drive in?

I think I personally do mah-nga but also anne-uhmay. probably just because manga is a purely foreign word but anime is derived from the word "animation" so my mind wants to pronounce it similarly

This discussion has been closed.