As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meownster Hunt[chat]

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Why is it that I cringe when someone pronounces the first part of "manga" as if it rhymes with "bang" instead of "long", but if someone pronounces it "ah-nime" I think they're a stupid weeaboo tryhard?

mysteries of the mind

maybe you're just some kind of jerk

this is the most likely explanation

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i also say mang-a like bang because i learned the word when i was 11 by reading it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    like i know it's mahnga and if it came up in conversation more than once every million years i might try to pronounce it properly but

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    oh my god chanus i just noticed your avatar

excellent

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Chanus, say Pokemon

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I pronounce anime like animation and manga like it's spelled, because these feel natural and colloquial and the alternatives feel pretentious

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Chanus I'm fascinated by your journey into the world of Japanese animation

Did you end up watching Devilman Crybaby

i haven't yet but i probably will soon

i watched a lot of anime and read some manga in like middle school in the early 90s

i just kind of went a different path for a while i guess

like 25 years

You took a look at sentencing guidelines and went a different path.

Otherwise you'd have spent those 25 years rather differently, although perhaps with more regular meals.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I pronounce it em an gah

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Why is it that I cringe when someone pronounces the first part of "manga" as if it rhymes with "bang" instead of "long", but if someone pronounces it "ah-nime" I think they're a stupid weeaboo tryhard?

mysteries of the mind

Because 'anime' is similar to (and probably derived from) the English word 'animation' so you're acclimated to that vowel sound.

There's no analogous cognate for 'manga.'

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    what have i done
    Select your gun, then select your Chanus

I'm torn between being worried for Chanus and excited for the fact that for once it wasn't "select your Quid."

select your quid then select your chanus

Then put one on top of the other and wiggle the mouse back and forth while giggling.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    There's a genealogy commercial where an American is super in to German culture. But after he sends in his DNA he learns a bit over half of his his ancestors are from Scotland so he abandons everything German and buys a kilt because he's "Scottish".

He infuriates me.

Every one of those commercials are like examples of people who I hate who look up their ancestors and are suddenly big into whatever. Like they know their customer base well.

Stuff like the Seattle Underground is one of the coolest things I saw as a kid and an adult. Way cooler than pretending I'm from Europe.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    5858z9kg3mgd.png
    The purple prose in the Ultima III manual is great.

"Molten honey" makes no sense.

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    Chanus, say Pokemon

i probably shouldn’t

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Feral wrote: »

mysteries of the mind

Because 'anime' is similar to (and probably derived from) the English word 'animation' so you're acclimated to that vowel sound.

Uh, man gay is right there

Quid on
  • Options
    I don't think the way those genetic location markers work means what these people assume anyway.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I bet Barack Obama pronounces it ahh-knee-may

wandering on
  • Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    @ludious

they're right over there in the laundry room you know...

27d.jpg

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Fun fact I stopped watching anime around the same time I stopped smoking weed. Coincidence?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    My friend's daughter to my friend: "Daddy, your name is Mr. Lovie!"
    Friend: "Aw, thank you."
    Daughter: "Just kidding! Your name is Mr. Poopie Tickles!"

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    5858z9kg3mgd.png
    The purple prose in the Ultima III manual is great.

"Molten honey" makes no sense.

Sounds delicious though

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    i am watching stand alone complex because i just never did

i finally know what that "i'd pretend to be one of those deaf mutes" thing is about

i feel like becoming a weeb is opening me up to a whole world of internet references i never really got before

The second season is very well done.

Also have you watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood yet?

That's some quality weebing.

i have not

i am vaguely familiar with there being a thing called full metal alchemist and i wasn't sure if that was a like later series or the original series

i'm a completionist nerd too

*pushes up pair of cosmetic glasses*

the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime premiered in 2003 -- of course, this followed the success of the 2001 man-gah, with which it shared many plot similarities until it hit the point past which the then-incomplete man-gah had no more volumes. then they had to get creative!

haha

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood aired years later, in 2009, and

these are the kinds of things i need to know

i can't start with the series that aired years later

For what it's worth FMA is the first anime I ever watched as it hit the internet and it has a special place in my heart (I'm not full blown weeb, I just dabble, but I love animated stuff in general).

Watch the series as they aired. The first one spins it's wheels a lot to get going (in a good way) and diverges heavily from the manga/fma:b halfway through or so. One of the early storylines gets kinda glossed over in FMA:b possibly cause the original anime just nails it.

All told they almost feel like two different shows and are appreciably different that you'll never find yourself hoping that FMA:B skips ahead even when covering common ground.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    My friend's daughter to my friend: "Daddy, your name is Mr. Lovie!"
    Friend: "Aw, thank you."
    Daughter: "Just kidding! Your name is Mr. Poopie Tickles!"

got 'im

• Options
    Alright, after a harrowing day, it's time to relax by exploring the totally-not-scary depths of the oceans in Subnautica.

This is my first time playing after the full release, so it'll be interesting to see what has changed!

Batsignal list:

@Jacobkosh
    @kedinik
    @knitdan
    @RonaldoTheGypsy
    @OnTheLastCastle
    @SniperGuy
    @Organichu
    @Sir Landshark
    @porp
    @Mortious
    @Havelock2.0
    @STATE OF THE ART ROBOT
    @Elldren
    @HappyLilElf
    @bloodyroarxx
    @KidPresentable
    @Elendil
    @Neco
    @Evil Multifarious
    @BeNarwhal
    @Kamiro
    @Zampanov
    @Tcheldor

Let me know if you don't want to be on this list anymore.

Stream link: And awaaaay we gooooo

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I think it was Ranma my sister first made me watch of the animes.

• Options
    ahh, Ranma is so good

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    @kedinik

So I just went through Doki Doki Literature Club.

That was an...interesting and amusing experience. I'm glad I did it.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I really hope Takahashi Rumiko gets the Eisner this year

She's been nominated three times and never won it, but she really deserves one by now

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    ahh, Ranma is so good

Never saw the appeal of that franchise myself.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I do like how finally the monsters in monster hunter are getting their names spoken out loud so I can lord over other players they are saying Rathian wrong.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    my doctor thinks I might have a kidney stone

I wondered what fresh hell 2018 would bring. I didn't expect it this early

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Okay, can someone explain the Dinraal and company thing from Breath of the Wild?
    Basically, every time I see one of the dragons, i can hit it with an arrow for a scale, correct?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

mysteries of the mind

It's the same reason I wanted to stick my fingers in my ears every time Obama said Paaahkistaaaahn as if he'd been taught English by mary poppins, then in the same sentence said Afghanistan like he'd been raised by Ma and Pa Kent.

• Options
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    ahh, Ranma is so good

Never saw the appeal of that franchise myself.

Personally,

1) the art and animation is p cute,

2) the theme of a man building more empathy for women by occasionally becoming one for a while is p interesting, and seems super ahead of its time, and

3) sometimes the humor is p funny.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

mysteries of the mind

why's it gotta be manga, Feral.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    also Urusei Yatsura > Ranma 1/2

debate me on skype

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    also Urusei Yatsura > Ranma 1/2

debate me on skype

I've never seen Urusei Yatsura, so

• Options
    Okay, can someone explain the Dinraal and company thing from Breath of the Wild?
    Basically, every time I see one of the dragons, i can hit it with an arrow for a scale, correct?

Pretty much, yeah.
    There are three dragons, one for each element.

You hit it at different locations on its body to get different body parts. Scales are the easiest to get.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

mysteries of the mind

why's it gotta be manga, Feral.

Because Japan is sexist.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do like how finally the monsters in monster hunter are getting their names spoken out loud so I can lord over other players they are saying Rathian wrong.

Wrath or Wraith?

This discussion has been closed.