As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Meownster Hunt[chat]

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Why is it that I cringe when someone pronounces the first part of "manga" as if it rhymes with "bang" instead of "long", but if someone pronounces it "ah-nime" I think they're a stupid weeaboo tryhard?

mysteries of the mind

Because 'anime' is similar to (and probably derived from) the English word 'animation' so you're acclimated to that vowel sound.

There's no analogous cognate for 'manga.'

why's it gotta be manga, Feral.

Because Japan is sexist.

touche

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do like how finally the monsters in monster hunter are getting their names spoken out loud so I can lord over other players they are saying Rathian wrong.

Wrath or Wraith?

Wroth.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Why is it that I cringe when someone pronounces the first part of "manga" as if it rhymes with "bang" instead of "long", but if someone pronounces it "ah-nime" I think they're a stupid weeaboo tryhard?

mysteries of the mind

It's the same reason I wanted to stick my fingers in my ears every time Obama said Paaahkistaaaahn as if he'd been taught English by mary poppins, then in the same sentence said Afghanistan like he'd been raised by Ma and Pa Kent.

Atleast Obama had an excuse, his childhood was ridiculously international, it'd be weird if he DIDNT pick up the occasional odd pronounciation

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Were all playing MonHun and @Ludious is over here playing discount MonHun Dauntless

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

mysteries of the mind

It's the same reason I wanted to stick my fingers in my ears every time Obama said Paaahkistaaaahn as if he'd been taught English by mary poppins, then in the same sentence said Afghanistan like he'd been raised by Ma and Pa Kent.

Atleast Obama had an excuse, his childhood was ridiculously international, it'd be weird if he DIDNT pick up the occasional odd pronounciation

I only lived overseas for 4ish years and I still can't shake some of the expressions.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Okay, can someone explain the Dinraal and company thing from Breath of the Wild?
    Basically, every time I see one of the dragons, i can hit it with an arrow for a scale, correct?

Pretty much, yeah.
    There are three dragons, one for each element.

You hit it at different locations on its body to get different body parts. Scales are the easiest to get.

Ok! that makes sense.

The "tutorial" quest is real good but at the same time, not that great, becasue it doesn't make it clear that it's a normal thing, Imo.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    first big haul of the year

got

khruangbin - con todo el mundo
    ty segall - freedom's goblin
    shopping - the official body
    jay som - pirouette 7"

mysteries of the mind

Because 'anime' is similar to (and probably derived from) the English word 'animation' so you're acclimated to that vowel sound.

Because Japan is sexist.

touche

Japan is really weird about their gender and sexuality issues. Their actual society is rigid as hell, but their media doesnt reflect that at all.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I do like how finally the monsters in monster hunter are getting their names spoken out loud so I can lord over other players they are saying Rathian wrong.

Wrath or Wraith?

You sicken me!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

mysteries of the mind

I only lived overseas for 4ish years and I still can't shake some of the expressions.

I learned vocational English from watching unsubtitled South Park episodes, so my English speech is this weird mix of American and Swedish accent.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    My wife won tickets to a bullriding competition for some reason.

I'm here right now and struggling so hard to not be judgemental.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Were all playing MonHun and Ludious is over here playing discount MonHun Dauntless

Yeah playing the real thing highlights how much Dauntless has to do to even compete against real MH.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

got

jay som - pirouette 7"

I assume these are artisanal soaps

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

mysteries of the mind

I learned vocational English from watching unsubtitled South Park episodes, so my English speech is this weird mix of American and Swedish accent.

you're swedish?

everything makes so much more sense now

got

jay som - pirouette 7"

I assume these are artisanal soaps

dildos actually

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    For my entire life, I've had problems with long and short A sounds.

I switch between them erratically; sometimes I'll pronounce the same word two different ways on different days.

"Mana" is a good example of a word that I bounce back and forth on a lot.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    kedinik wrote: »
    ahh, Ranma is so good

Never saw the appeal of that franchise myself.

Personally,

1) the art and animation is p cute,

2) the theme of a man building more empathy for women by occasionally becoming one for a while is p interesting, and seems super ahead of its time, and

3) sometimes the humor is p funny.
    I remember reading that these days anime tends to alternate between action scenes with high-calibre animation and talky scenes where the characters barely move and that, meanwhile, ranma's animation doesn't do that, and has energetic animation from beginning to end

anyway when I caught some of it for the first time a couple years ago I was like, oh, huh, this actually seems quite good

wandering on

mysteries of the mind

you're swedish?

Oh? Which stereotypes have I adhered to?

mysteries of the mind

you're swedish?

the crippling, almost comical undercurrent of nihilism poking up through the floorboards of every post

mysteries of the mind

Because Japan is sexist.

touche

accomplishwoment and accomplishchildrent too

mysteries of the mind

you're swedish?

the crippling, almost comical undercurrent of nihilism poking up through the floorboards of every post

You people are never going to forget about The Seventh Seal, are you?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Alright I made a pink haired hammer waifu and a cat slave

Tomorrow, I hun mon

Elendil on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Okay Sea of Thieves coming up in a few at twitch.tv/sniperguygaming !
    @So It Goes @BeNarwhal @Abdhyius @Couscous @Kid Presentable

me and @TheKoolEagle gonna rock the ocean.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

Wrath or Wraith?

You sicken me!

It's neither? WTF I was sure it was Wrath-ian/a los

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Not just the manga, but the womenga and the childrenga too.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh also @SummaryJudgment ^^

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I wanted to use the plain Lance but it doesnt do enough damage/be mobile enough to play with solo.

But you know im rocking that shit in co-op

The gunlamce looks pretty tempting but I dunno about dicking around with ammo

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Gunlance was what I mained in solo back in PSP days

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Gunlance was my father's name

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

it's Doctor Gunlance to you

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

You have forgotten the face of your father

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Lance Gunn

Elendil wrote: »
    Lance Gunn

The final boss

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I'm sorry but I have to post Mash Potato again.

dJP5guV.jpg

That dogs name should be spuds

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    does mon hun let you cosplay as guts

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    does mon hun let you cosplay as guts

no, but it lets you get covered in them.

wKelf0m.jpg

also I'm 90% sure I first saw that dog in a "fuck you lookin at keep scrolling" twitter post

This discussion has been closed.