As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Taramoor wrote: »
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Celeste is like... the perfect balance of tight-and-fun, challenging, forgiving, charming in its art and story, varied... I love games that demand your focus for a while but then give you the opportunity for a peaceful reprieve. I live for those bonfire moments. BotW's like that, actually. FF has had it... Panzer Dragoon Saga had it. I guess I just like relaxing at camps.

Let me tell you about Dark Souls...

Dark Souls is maybe the game where I realized that I love this, but I don't know why I didn't mention it. Maybe because those bonfires are just straight-up relief rather than relaxation.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    And doesn't using Apple earbuds show people you have an iPhone?

Actually, in the old days white earbuds did make you a target for thieves in some places. Aside from Apple, cheap earbuds were usually black or some other dark color. Nowadays, glancing at headphones doesn't give you a lot of indication of what they're attached to. Could be a $800 iPhone, or it could be a $60 Alcatel.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That and lockdown features on smartphones make them less desirable since they can be blacklisted.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'd just treat Switch like every other expensive piece of personal electronics, i.e. keep it out of sight when it's unattended but you probably aren't going to be mugged for it unless you're in a bad neighborhood.

If nothing else, a case is great for making sure your Switch doesn't get smushed while it's in a backpack or something.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Celeste is like, really fucking good guys.
    It is hard but somehow at the same time it is incredibly relaxing and atmospheric.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Just caught up on the last few pages/days of the thread, and...

My LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 experience hasn't been great. Buggy as hell, really.

If Nintendo is really phasing out Miis for some reason, I'll be rather disappointed. Not surprised, but disappointed.

As for save data, after getting royally fucked over once already in that sphere (I'd rather not get into it in detail right now), I really want more control or assurance over it. I've been wary of playing Breath of the Wild extensively because of it, and I just want to know there is some kind of system in place -- cloud, microSD, a tiny little proprietary safe I can connect to the console via USB -- I don't care. I just want there to be something.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Looking at the Switch digital title sale, anyone have opinions on:

Aces of the Luftwaffe - Squadron
    Worms W.M.D
    Flip Wars

Overcooked Special Edition I've heard good things about and am likely to get but wanted input on those others.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Aces of the Luftwaffe is quick fun if you are playing multiplayer but I wouldn't buy it for solo experience.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
      Incindium wrote: »

Worms W.M.D
      Flip Wars

Overcooked Special Edition I've heard good things about and am likely to get but wanted input on those others.

Overcooked only really works in multiplayer IMO.

• Options
      eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      edited January 2018
      Nintendo is getting the marketing out for Labo already. My son is watching videos on YouTube about space, and all of a sudden I hear that familiar piano and catchy music. YouTube was showing the Labo reveal as an advertisement before the video he wanted to watch.

He did not press Skip Ad.

eelektrik on
      (She/Her)
    • Options
      IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
      Kriegaffe wrote: »

Worms W.M.D
      Flip Wars

Luckily I'm looking for stuff to play with my wife and 2 kids.

steam_sig.png
      Nintendo ID: Incindium
      PSN: IncindiumX
    • Options
      Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Worms W.M.D
      Flip Wars

Luckily I'm looking for stuff to play with my wife and 2 kids.

Don't say we haven't given you fair warning:

i-GMCPdvJ-2100x20000.jpg

Big Dookie wrote: »
      I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
      3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    • Options
      Oh man, Overcooked is so good, but you gotta Rainbow 6 your plans if you want to actually succeed.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
      Worms is good but suffers a bit from tiny fonts.

• Options
      Phoenix-D wrote: »
      Worms is good but suffers a bit from tiny fonts.

Ugh. Tiny fonts is so irritating. I couldn't play Dungeon Defenders multi years ago on my 360 because you couldn't read the text on my 32" tube. It's not much better on my 40" lcd.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
      My Switch arrived early, so now I have one. One game only (Zelda) and I'm not gonna pick up anything else for a while. When does a real Fire Emblem game came out for the Switch?

smCQ5WE.jpg
    • Options
      DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
      Elki wrote: »
      My Switch arrived early, so now I have one. One game only (Zelda) and I'm not gonna pick up anything else for a while. When does a real Fire Emblem game came out for the Switch?

Next Waifu Emblem is due to come out some time this year, nothing more specific than that yet.

• Options
      chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
      Elki wrote: »

So jealous, my Switch is still predicted to arrive on Tuesday, though everything else I ordered with it (Zelda, screen protector, memory card) were originally scheduled to arrive Monday but are instead arriving Saturday. As long as the console shows up in time to take advantage of the eShop deals on Mario + Rabbids and DB Xenoverse 2 I won't be too annoyed.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
      I have started Mario + Rabbids. There seems to be a lot of game in this game.

• Options
      earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
      Celeste is fun but tough. Harder than shovel knight but easier than plague knight, meat boy and end is nigh imo.

U die a lot, but if you try u can usually make it pretty far without a death. Says the guy creeping up on 400 deaths.

• Options
      Re fights from Overcooked... I've had plenty with my kids.

I love Crawl so much for its rotating 1 vs 3 co-op arrangement. It's the perfect antidote to those co-op games which always ends in fights because people can't actually co-operate.

• Options
      syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
      WACriminal wrote: »
      I have started Mario + Rabbids. There seems to be a lot of game in this game.

I stopped halfway through because other games happened but I really liked what I played.

Ubisoft did a real cool thing with that license.

SW-4158-3990-6116
      Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    • Options
      IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
      edited January 2018
      Anyone aware of a way to tell apart older Switches with the brighter LCD panel, from the newer, dimmer ones, before buying?

IceBurner on
      3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
      PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
      Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    • Options
      Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
      Celeste has a lot of neat hidden tech, you should play with the controls. For example:
      Try doing a down-forward dash and a jump at the same time while standing still

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    • Options
      IceBurner wrote: »
      Anyone aware of a way to tell apart older Switches with the brighter LCD panel, from the newer, dimmer ones, before[/] buying?

What? Is this a thing?

• Options
      IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
      edited January 2018
      Anyone aware of a way to tell apart older Switches with the brighter LCD panel, from the newer, dimmer ones, before[/] buying?

What? Is this a thing?
      As Switch production has been expanded, and likely in part due to competition with mobile phone manufacturers for parts, some more-recent Switches are being made with different LCD panels than the first few production runs were. I believe @Handsome Costanza has posted about it in this very thread.

This is not all that uncommon, and I've even owned an example. Until one died, I had two LG monitors which were the exact same model number, but bought in different years. They each had a different LCD panel in them, making it impossible to get their colors to match precisely.

IceBurner on
      3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
      PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
      Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    • Options
      akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
      Anyone aware of a way to tell apart older Switches with the brighter LCD panel, from the newer, dimmer ones, before buying?

I'm gonna guess that given how fast they've been selling, and having empty supply chains at various points this year that any new one you buy is going to have the newer panels.

Having said that, I got my Switch for xmas and it seems plenty bright to me.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
      Twitch: akThera
      Steam: Thera
    • Options
      edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      edited January 2018
      Mine is a launch model, so I get to lord it over the plebs and their inferior screenz

But I imagine the only way to make a comparison is to actually put 2 units side by side.

edzepp on
    • Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      Oh man, this is just like all those 3DS systems with the different screen types. I bet the inferior screens will look totally fine when not sitting directly next to the better one.

• Options
      TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      Raiden333 wrote: »
      So Celeste has these bonus chapters called B-sides... Bit of friendly advice, you might want to save them, because they're no joke. I finished chapter one and two with 57 deaths each on both chapters (kinda weird, that, lol). Decided to play the B-side of chapter 2 because I loved its gimmick. I finally conquered it, 302 deaths later.

Here's me doing a quick twitch through the B sides for 1 and 2. I died a fair few times.

https://youtu.be/rE5HUxq-PNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGHRr05PWhA

• Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited January 2018

What? Is this a thing?
      As Switch production has been expanded, and likely in part due to competition with mobile phone manufacturers for parts, some more-recent Switches are being made with different LCD panels than the first few production runs were. I believe @Handsome Costanza has posted about it in this very thread.

This is not all that uncommon, and I've even owned an example. Until one died, I had two LG monitors which were the exact same model number, but bought in different years. They each had a different LCD panel in them, making it impossible to get their colors to match precisely.

Yup, this is a thing. My launch model has a much brighter screen than the Mario bundle Switch. I saw a bunch of resetera posts about it, compared my two units, and sure enough the difference was unmistakable. The launch model was MUCH brighter with brightness set to full and auto brightness disabled on both units. The good news is it's almost impossible to tell the difference without having the two side by side. Before I made the comparison I thought for sure that my newer model matched the pictures of the older brighter model, and there were a bunch of posters on resetera that thought the same. It only becomes apparent when you have them right next to each other. I'm not sure when the change happened, all I know is the model I bought on launch day is much brighter than the Mario bundle model, and that I'm not the only one who's reported this.

Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      To celebrate my birthday I get to pick out two switch games. I'm completely torn between physical and digital as I'm getting LA Noire and Doom. They both are on sale digitally but I like the ability to resell afterwards and they're both memory card hogs. Decisions, decisions!

Also I picked up Earth Wars last night and so far that feels like money well spent.

• Options
      KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      Hey, if you're on the fence for Celeste, please pick it up and help support my indie friends. My friend Greg from DumbAndFat (WanderSong / Coin Crypt) helped a bit with this, and his friend Matt (TowerFall) developed the majority of it. Plus, it's also a freaking sweet game.

• Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited January 2018
      The latest Nintendo Power podcast is up and it has some good hands-on impressions of Labo:

https://youtu.be/jiQmDnCAJe4

edit: also they talk about Celeste at around 13:27

Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
      So Celeste has these bonus chapters called B-sides... Bit of friendly advice, you might want to save them, because they're no joke. I finished chapter one and two with 57 deaths each on both chapters (kinda weird, that, lol). Decided to play the B-side of chapter 2 because I loved its gimmick. I finally conquered it, 302 deaths later.

Here's me doing a quick twitch through the B sides for 1 and 2. I died a fair few times.

I just watched two minutes of the first one, and had to stop because it's not good for me to get my blood pressure to go up so high this early in the morning.

I might still pick the game up to support it, but... man, I don't know how much I'll play it.

• Options
      Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
      Hey, if you're on the fence for Celeste, please pick it up and help support my indie friends. My friend Greg from DumbAndFat (WanderSong / Coin Crypt) helped a bit with this, and his friend Matt (TowerFall) developed the majority of it. Plus, it's also a freaking sweet game.

For what it's worth, I bought it on release.

I haven't played it yet though, stupid life getting in the way :bigfrown:

Steam: Sir_Grinch
      PSN: SirGrinchX
      Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    • Options
      To celebrate my birthday I get to pick out two switch games. I'm completely torn between physical and digital as I'm getting LA Noire and Doom. They both are on sale digitally but I like the ability to resell afterwards and they're both memory card hogs. Decisions, decisions!

Also I picked up Earth Wars last night and so far that feels like money well spent.

Be aware that LA Noire physical still has a huge download. You will need a micro SD card. I think they did a poor job for their customers, but you may as well buy it digitally or skip it and get it for PC.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
      Delduwath wrote: »

I just watched two minutes of the first one, and had to stop because it's not good for me to get my blood pressure to go up so high this early in the morning.

I might still pick the game up to support it, but... man, I don't know how much I'll play it.

I mean those are the ultra tough alternate levels

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »

Be aware that LA Noire physical still has a huge download. You will need a micro SD card. I think they did a poor job for their customers, but you may as well buy it digitally or skip it and get it for PC.

Yeah - they both do but it's probably half of what they would have needed if I bought them digitally. I have it for the PC already I think - it's a rebuy so I actually can play through it since I'm not on my PC that much nowadays. I have a 128gb card, just don't want half of it filled by two games.

• Options
      TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      BlueBlue wrote: »
      Delduwath wrote: »

I mean those are the ultra tough alternate levels

You can also watch me go through the regular version of level 2. It’s not nearly as nasty. For some reason my chapter 1-A didn’t record. I’ll probably do each one as I have time.

This discussion has been closed.